PDA

View Full Version : Help a noobie out- T300 vs. T500

codyPKA
14-05-2015, 17:21
Greetings,

I've been playing games like Forza and EA's F1 racing for years, but with Project Cars out I feel the need to get a nice wheel. I'm down to the t300 vs the t500. price aside, which is the better buy. I know the 500 has much better pedals. One thing i've read is that no one is sure if the t500 will be compatible with other PS4 games going forward (not sure if this is true or not).

Thanks in advance for the advise, look forward to racing you guys (and gals)

Scrogg
14-05-2015, 17:29
Someone asked the same question on another forum I frequent so I'll just link it here.

http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/17736-t500-rs-or-t300-for-ps4/

dwalldorf
14-05-2015, 18:00
Hey codyPKA, you can find a lot of talks about this question and at the end, it's personal preference.
I got myself the T300 and it's great. The pedals are not the best quality and not quite what you'd expect but in case of performance, they work fine for me.

Anyway I will probably buy the T3PA pedals, because I want to hand-shift some cars. If this might become a thing for you, consider that you would already have appropriate pedals, if you go for the T500.

Jeckert7
14-05-2015, 18:06
I have the T300 and couldn't imagine why I would need anything else...it's great. The pedals are the only "issue", but once you figure out a way to secure them from sliding (I just push mine up against a table leg) they are just fine. I prefer paddle shifters anyways so a clutch pedal isn't a priority for me. Hope this helps.

superchargedk20
14-05-2015, 18:33
What other wheels work for the ps4? I just purchased the t300rs on ebay but it doesn't power up. I need it returned . All the other t300rs online are ways over priced . Retail states 399. There being sold for well over 500 on ebay

CPS-3
14-05-2015, 19:21
The only wheels that are compatible as far as I know are Thrustmaster and Fanatec. (Fanatec is game depended, Driveclub doesn't support it (yet?) )
But the only wheel which is fully compatible is the thrusmaster t300. With the T300 you can also navigate in the ps4 menu and with the T500 you can't.
But the T500 has way better pedals but if you go for the T300 you can buy the pedals as a standalone named T3PA PRO but they are hard to get at the moment.
Why do i say the T500 has better pedals, well I bought my T300 begin february ans I allready have 2 pedal sets broken because the torsion spring from the gaspedal broke but I use it a lot. But even if you play far less then me i bet it will be broken within a year. The springs itself can't be replaced because you can't buy exactly the same ones and Thrustmaster doesn't send new springs but a whole new pedalset, which is great but i wonder how many times they'll replace it if you they get broken.
I recommend you go for the T300 and buy the T3PA PRO later on. That's what i did...

superchargedk20
14-05-2015, 22:20
The only wheels that are compatible as far as I know are Thrustmaster and Fanatec. (Fanatec is game depended, Driveclub doesn't support it (yet?) )
But the only wheel which is fully compatible is the thrusmaster t300. With the T300 you can also navigate in the ps4 menu and with the T500 you can't.
But the T500 has way better pedals but if you go for the T300 you can buy the pedals as a standalone named T3PA PRO but they are hard to get at the moment.
Why do i say the T500 has better pedals, well I bought my T300 begin february ans I allready have 2 pedal sets broken because the torsion spring from the gaspedal broke but I use it a lot. But even if you play far less then me i bet it will be broken within a year. The springs itself can't be replaced because you can't buy exactly the same ones and Thrustmaster doesn't send new springs but a whole new pedalset, which is great but i wonder how many times they'll replace it if you they get broken.
I recommend you go for the T300 and buy the T3PA PRO later on. That's what i did...
So the t500 will work? Atleast the t500 I can get retail. Driveclub don't care for. Just sold it on ebay. T300 is insanely over priced everywhere .

Slicker_VR
14-05-2015, 22:23
Greetings,

I've been playing games like Forza and EA's F1 racing for years, but with Project Cars out I feel the need to get a nice wheel. I'm down to the t300 vs the t500. price aside, which is the better buy. I know the 500 has much better pedals. One thing i've read is that no one is sure if the t500 will be compatible with other PS4 games going forward (not sure if this is true or not).

i can tell you for sure the t500 works on drive club - i believe most racing games will support it - it doesn't work on ps menus, though

Slicker_VR
14-05-2015, 22:29
Hey codyPKA, you can find a lot of talks about this question and at the end, it's personal preference.
I got myself the T300 and it's great. The pedals are not the best quality and not quite what you'd expect but in case of performance, they work fine for me.

Anyway I will probably buy the T3PA pedals, because I want to hand-shift some cars. If this might become a thing for you, consider that you would already have appropriate pedals, if you go for the T500.

i chose the t500 in part because the overall cost of t500 is lots less than the t300 + t3pa pro pedals (and you can't get the pedals anyway, second-hand t500 pedals going for 200 on e-bay) and in part because i believe it to be a better wheel, and having had project cars for a week i reckon i made the right choice :)

bent_toe
14-05-2015, 22:40
Greetings,

If you see yourself as a newb, maybe start out with the T80? Why spend $300+ on a wheel made for the entusiasth?

CPS-3
14-05-2015, 22:56
So the t500 will work? Atleast the t500 I can get retail. Driveclub don't care for. Just sold it on ebay. T300 is insanely over priced everywhere .
Yes but there are some issues with it for now, search the forum for it. They will solve the issue though, I'm sure.

If I was you I wouldn't buy the T80. Sure it's a lot cheaper but I don't see the point of driving a wheel without force feedback. You won't know what your car is doing and that for sure is a crucial part of a racing game.

superchargedk20
15-05-2015, 07:58
Yes but there are some issues with it for now, search the forum for it. They will solve the issue though, I'm sure.

If I was you I wouldn't buy the T80. Sure it's a lot cheaper but I don't see the point of driving a wheel without force feedback. You won't know what your car is doing and that for sure is a crucial part of a racing game.

Def not getting a t80. I'm Gona wait till all the bugs get sorted out. Either the 500 or Fanatec setup .

Mr.Smoke
15-05-2015, 10:34
I wanted an inexpensive wheel with FFB on it. Having a clutch pedal & hand shifter was not a priority of mine & neither was spending about as much as the PS4 itself, on just a wheel.

This brought me to the T100 as my choice for a wheel. The cost was quite reasonable at under $200 CDN & should suit my needs perfectly. Im hoping to get it set up & put to use this weekend.

Like the T500, the T100 is not an official PS4 wheel & lacks the ability to share & navigate the PSN menus, but im perfectly fine with that.

PureMalt77
15-05-2015, 11:04
I choose the T300 because:

1) is "officially" compatible with the PS4;
2) the gear shifters move with the wheel. On the T500 they are fixed. I tried on a friend's wheel and personally did not like it! Not easy to shift on "street" cars if your hands are turned like 180!!!

I know the pedals are not optimal, and I will upgrade them when I get the manual shifter. But for now I'm doing the "learning curve" on cars that do not require clutch :)

codyPKA
15-05-2015, 21:43
i appreciate all the responses. I think I'm going to go with the T300. I feel a little more comfortable knowing it is the official PS4 wheel. Sounds like I'm going to want to upgrade the pedals, but i'll probably just do that down the road.

what sucks is, just a few days the T300 was $399 on Amazon with free 2 day shipping for prime members, and now its not even available :(. .I guess i'll just remain patient and wait for amazon to get it back in.

cheers everyone

superchargedk20
15-05-2015, 22:03
i appreciate all the responses. I think I'm going to go with the T300. I feel a little more comfortable knowing it is the official PS4 wheel. Sounds like I'm going to want to upgrade the pedals, but i'll probably just do that down the road.

what sucks is, just a few days the T300 was $399 on Amazon with free 2 day shipping for prime members, and now its not even available :(. .I guess i'll just remain patient and wait for amazon to get it back in.

cheers everyone

Yup. Noticed that too. I bought a "new" one on ebay for 355 shipped. It arrived and didn't even power on. So disappointed . After reading some poor reviews on amazon it seems like the thrustmaster wheels aren't made of the highest quality

dwalldorf
15-05-2015, 22:29

cheers everyone

I'm trying to get a PlaySeat for over 3 weeks now (living in Germany) but they are sold out everywhere. I suspect this game caused a lot of racing-equipment purchases..

Yup. Noticed that too. I bought a "new" one on ebay for 355 shipped. It arrived and didn't even power on. So disappointed . After reading some poor reviews on amazon it seems like the thrustmaster wheels aren't made of the highest quality

Did you get a used one or was is new?

CPS-3
15-05-2015, 22:46

The T500 is better build then the T300. But overall Thrustmaster is not as good as Fanatec, But the price is a lot more then a Thrustmaster.
Knowing the quality of Thrustmaster their prices are too high, but since their aren't any other bands we can use on PS4 we have to buy them or play with no wheel. I think thrust master payed good money to Sony to have this monopoly position.
I bought a new T500 this week and will be delivered tomorrow. I bought it for the pedals solely in combo with my T300. The wheel itself will be sold and if I can't get it sold it wheel be a spare.
I payed 400 € for the T500 at wheelstandpro.nl, and I think they ship worldwide. Even if you don't live in the Netherlands you can still buy it because if there's something wrong with it you have to send it to Thrustmaster and not the webshop.

CPS-3
15-05-2015, 22:47
I'm trying to get a PlaySeat for over 3 weeks now (living in Germany) but they are sold out everywhere. I suspect this game caused a lot of racing-equipment purchases..

Did you get a used one or was is new?

Have a look at playseatstore.nl, maybe they've got some in stock.

dwalldorf
15-05-2015, 22:52
Have a look at playseatstore.nl, maybe they've got some in stock.

Already ordered one (two weeks ago but kept looking for opportunities to get one earlier) and it should come within the next 2 weeks. I do have an alternative "race seat" which basically is a fishing chair :D But it works quite ok. I will just wait for it to arrive and keep fishing until then :rolleyes:

Thanks for the hint though!

CPS-3
15-05-2015, 23:43
you mean the playseat challenge?

IrideGravity
16-05-2015, 02:33
What other wheels work for the ps4? I just purchased the t300rs on ebay but it doesn't power up. I need it returned . All the other t300rs online are ways over priced . Retail states 399. There being sold for well over 500 on ebay

I got mine on newegg for retail $429 and no tax. So I didn't get gouged. Amazon had it at retail $399 plus tax.
Love it and it's reviewed better than the t500. Pedals really not a huge deal since racing is generally max break, max acceleration. That said, I know there's some advantage to be gained when breaking behind someone else when you have a better break pedal. Gas pedals are all the same. Seems kinda nutty to me to invest in an expensive break pedal, just to have a clutch that is likely weird with a paddle shifter. I'd take a free th8 shifter and t3pa pedals, but you won't catch me getting gouged for two more pieces they could have put in a package. I see stock pedals in the leader boards. He'll even pad users get up there.

madmick
16-05-2015, 03:31
I just bought the t500rs using driveseat evolution and its the bomb guys

superchargedk20
16-05-2015, 05:13
The paddle shifts don't move with the wheel on the 500 correct?

ceeece
16-05-2015, 05:19
As much as I don't want to spend $400 on a wheel I'm taking the plunge. This will be my first wheel after all these years of playing Forza 2,3,4 and GT 4. I am also getting the T300 RS. Frys Electronics has it backordered for $399. No shipping and no tax. Best deal I've seen online. Amazon is going bonkers with their stock, availability and prices.

superchargedk20
16-05-2015, 05:52
The t500 just went up to 585 on amazon lol. It was 399 just yesterday

Wootball
16-05-2015, 06:46
Pedals really not a huge deal since racing is generally max break, max acceleratio.

No it isn't. I rarely use max brake unless I'm late braking for an overtake. If you're maxing every time you're doing it wrong.

dwalldorf
16-05-2015, 07:07
you mean the playseat challenge?

Yep

Burneye
16-05-2015, 07:29
I use the the t300rs with g25/27 pedals easily done with a converter. Also using t8ha shifter with it good little set up for casual use. G25s quit cheap on eBay just to use the pedals. I already had the g25 before game came out and when I found out it was not compatible with ps4 this was best option for me to go kinda hybrid.

Like has been said in this thread the t300rs pedals are not the best. It all bolted to my old wheel stand pro so folds away nicely for storage don't have room for a full size cockpit.

Turniton
16-05-2015, 08:46
Hello there guys!

Does anybody happen to know if it is possible to connect a T300 wheel with the Fanatec Csr Elite Pedal for them both to work with the PS4? The thing is, like most people are doing, I just ordered myself the T300, but have no intention to use the original set of pedals... If anyone can answer, I thank you in advance! Cheers from Brazil, mates!

CPS-3
16-05-2015, 08:51
I got mine on newegg for retail $429 and no tax. So I didn't get gouged. Amazon had it at retail $399 plus tax.
Love it and it's reviewed better than the t500. Pedals really not a huge deal since racing is generally max break, max acceleration. That said, I know there's some advantage to be gained when breaking behind someone else when you have a better break pedal. Gas pedals are all the same. Seems kinda nutty to me to invest in an expensive break pedal, just to have a clutch that is likely weird with a paddle shifter. I'd take a free th8 shifter and t3pa pedals, but you won't catch me getting gouged for two more pieces they could have put in a package. I see stock pedals in the leader boards. He'll even pad users get up there.

The leaderboards are not "fair" and that's why pad users are in it. Sure there are good pad drivers out there, but I wonder how many people in the top leaderboards have all assists on. They should split it between assists allowed leaderboards and leaderboards no assists allowed.

Burneye
16-05-2015, 09:12
The leaderboards are not "fair" and that's why pad users are in it. Sure there are good pad drivers out there, but I wonder how many people in the top leaderboards have all assists on. They should split it between assists allowed leaderboards and leaderboards no assists allowed.

I agree with this but would be hard to implement because you can have say abs on and nothing else for example. Something which is not in the console version that im aware of is the "real setting" we're if the car comes with assists as standerd there on.

Then the classes could be assist on, real or all off.

CPS-3
16-05-2015, 10:12
oh but it is. Now you say it I know what it meant. I was wondering why those three symbols were in the rpm meter while i was driving with no assists, but i have set them in settings to "real".
But what you said last is how it should be, on/off/real.

Burneye
16-05-2015, 10:59
Handy to know as I think I'm running with everything off for all cars. The only thing I could find in settings was allow assist on or off?

Then you have to manually switch them on or off?

Titzon Toast
16-05-2015, 11:25
Hello there guys!

Does anybody happen to know if it is possible to connect a T300 wheel with the Fanatec Csr Elite Pedal for them both to work with the PS4? The thing is, like most people are doing, I just ordered myself the T300, but have no intention to use the original set of pedals... If anyone can answer, I thank you in advance! Cheers from Brazil, mates!
You can indeed do that man. You need to pick up a basherboards adapter, there's usually a waiting list for them though!

witmonster
16-05-2015, 11:37
I bought t300rs specifically for projects cars, I think the wheel is outstanding, and the pedals are fine, I understand people wanted a better pedal set, but for my needs the pedals do the job.

BigDipper
16-05-2015, 13:07
I got my T300 yesterday and after racing 50 laps the only thing I can say is WOOOOOOOOOOOW WTF this beyond my expectations.
Within 10 laps I drove the same times as with my pad.
I can feel that I can go faster. My racing lines are much tighter then before.
I build a rig from scrap just too test.
Needs some adjusting and a race chair maybe some paint.

ceeece
22-05-2015, 05:22
Frys has stock on the T300RS now. Shipping first of June. $399. No tax, no shipping costs.