PDA

View Full Version : Thrustmaster TX - Left Paddle Issues

SN95NIK
14-05-2015, 18:00
Hey Guys,

I'm having an issue with my Thrustmaster TX, but not the ones most of you are having (okay, I seem to have the weak FFB as well, but that is a known issue). I'm in the US, so have only had the game since Tuesday. First of all, let me say I LOVE IT! It's so much fun, when it goes right, and i know SMS is working to make it right all the time. That said, here is my issue...

Tuesday, when I first started the game, the left shift paddle on my TX wheel would not work at all. Fortunately, I discovered the small button on the back of the wheel itself would work in it's stead. Drove for several hours using the right paddle, but the left button to shift. Last night, Wednesday, I did the "reset X1 USB ports" trick, and that seemed to bring the left paddle back to life. Boy was I happy camper! Only for a while, though, because after about an hour or so, it started to miss down shifts. It started out where maybe one in four would not take. I thought maybe it was the game simulating a transmission problem, so i switched cars and tracks. No dice, now it is missing about every other shift. Finally, ten minutes later, the paddle stops working altogether again. Won't downshift, won't scroll through menus. Weird thing is I can assign it to be downshift in the control assignments, no problem. The button continues to work, which at least allows me to navigate through menus and such.

I had a fleeting terror that my wheel was on its way out. This was especially upsetting, since it is less than a month old and has only been used in FM5 2 or 3 times. So i started up FM5 again, and it works flawlessly. Didn't have time to restart pCars and check, but I'm totally bummed right now. It's such a fun game, it's truly a shame to keep fighting these little niggling issues like this.

Anybody else having a similar problem, or have any suggestions for fixes?

Nick

HEF51
14-05-2015, 18:09
Have you done the firmware update on PC?

SN95NIK
14-05-2015, 18:46
I updated it back when I first received the wheel, but I am unsure what version it was (47 or 48?) I will double check it tonight, and update if necessary. Was there a known issue with previous firmware?

HEF51
14-05-2015, 19:15
No not that I can think of but just trying to rule out possibilities. It should read 48B I believe.

SN95NIK
15-05-2015, 14:31
Okay, updated to the latest firmware, but still no luck. Similar experience. It worked for about an hour, then slowly degraded to missing shifts, and then not working at all. Still works in FM5, and the profiler on my PC picks up the paddle click every time. Is it possibly related to the FFB issues? I noticed it seemed to start degrading (along with the FFB) when i recalibrated the wheel from 900 degrees to 360 degrees.

SN95NIK
20-05-2015, 16:27
Is there seriously no one else experiencing this? Same issue again the last two nights. Its annoying because, otherwise, the game is amazing. I've finally got the FFB dialed in, and am loving it. But having to use that button to downshift is killing it for me. And still no issues in Forza 5 or Horizon 2.

nissan4ever
20-05-2015, 16:29
What rim you using? A long time ago my F1 rim paddle for down shifting use to not shift correctly. However, it's been working fine now for a while. Perhaps it was out of alignment from manufacturer. Non the less, my f1 rim works fine now. I never had a problem with the paddle shifters on the stock rim or the GTE rim.

That's probably what you're experiencing.

SN95NIK
20-05-2015, 18:14
It's the stock rim. I'll see about taking it off and realigning it, but it seems strange that it would work in other games (and the profiler on my PC) without issue.

Alter_Schwede62
20-05-2015, 18:23
No, no problems here.

nissan4ever
20-05-2015, 18:46
That is interesting that it's only acting up on Project Cars.

SN95NIK
22-05-2015, 13:35
Okay guys... confession time. I went back to Forza 5 for a while last night (and I have to say BLECH... It's horrible after playing pCARS for a while). The wheel had the same issue in FM5. It worked for about twenty minutes, then quit on me. I guess previously, I had not been giving it enough time, just confirmed that it was working and got upset. I'll be contacting Thrustmaster today to see if they can help at all...

BellCurve
22-05-2015, 16:18
Okay guys... confession time. I went back to Forza 5 for a while last night (and I have to say BLECH... It's horrible after playing pCARS for a while). The wheel had the same issue in FM5. It worked for about twenty minutes, then quit on me. I guess previously, I had not been giving it enough time, just confirmed that it was working and got upset. I'll be contacting Thrustmaster today to see if they can help at all...

I've heard good things about Thrustmaster's customer support. Hope they can sort you out quick, mate.

SN95NIK
29-05-2015, 13:06
I've heard good things about Thrustmaster's customer support. Hope they can sort you out quick, mate.

So far, I haven't heard from them. Got an automated "we'll get back to you" type email when I first submitted the question, and another "we'll be in touch soon" auto-email when I asked why I haven't heard from them in a week.

SN95NIK
18-06-2015, 16:50
Just to update this...

Finally was contacted by support. They asked me to describe in great detail, again, exactly what my issue was and when it was occurring. They suggested I plug into a PC, update firmware/drivers, and recalibrate the wheel (I had done all of that already). Couple days later, they want a picture of the sticker on the bottom of the base of the wheel and a copy of the invoice. Another couple days later, they want a video of the issue occurring. I sent them two videos of the a car not downshifting when the paddle is clicked, and the menus not navigating after a paddle click. Now, they want a video of the reaction in the Windows Game Controller Panel, as if the issue in Pcars (which I told them also occurs in FM5 and FH2) was not enough. I won't have time to get that video until probably Sunday, nearly a month after I first contacted them.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should have just ditched the Thrustmaster wheel in the first place (i.e. returned it to the retailer). This is becoming cumbersome and annoying... I wonder if upgrading to the GTE or F1 rim would fix the issue, but I'm not sure I want to give them any more of my money.

Brent G
18-06-2015, 18:25
Feel for ya mate, cant believe they want videos of this, that and the other. Like your gonna lie about an issue just for kicks, unreal. Couldn't tell you wether wheel upgrade would work or not. Keep hearing about these 10% TX wheels that develop faults rather rapidly. I'll be pissed if mine lasts less than a month or so. Hope you get sorted bud, good luck.

Johngrim
06-08-2015, 09:27
I have just got the TX wheel on xbox one last night and have the exact same issue! Is the any progress on your situation?

baz00ka
06-08-2015, 10:33
just a single paddle (button) acting up like that sounds like the paddle itself is broken. if it was more than one it would likely be bad wiring in the wheel or the base itself. i have a mint stock TX wheel collecting dust (upgraded to 28GT wheel pretty much straight away) which you can have if want if you pay postage. seeing that you are in US it might be faster/cheaper to get a local replacement (i'm in France) but just an option for you if you get nowhere with Thrustmaster support.

oscarolim
06-08-2015, 11:22
Actually mine started to act up on the right paddle. Is like it is stuck, and if I push the paddle back, it disengages. Quite annoying when this happens.
Already sent an email to their support 2 weeks ago, but no reply so far :s Not very happy with their lack of communication to be honest :s

just a single paddle (button) acting up like that sounds like the paddle itself is broken. if it was more than one it would likely be bad wiring in the wheel or the base itself. i have a mint stock TX wheel collecting dust (upgraded to 28GT wheel pretty much straight away) which you can have if want if you pay postage. seeing that you are in US it might be faster/cheaper to get a local replacement (i'm in France) but just an option for you if you get nowhere with Thrustmaster support.

If I don't hear from TX soon, I wouldn't mind taking up on your offer.

Johngrim
06-08-2015, 11:48
Mine is not a mechanical issue the paddle is picked up every time in the windows profiler iv pressed it 100 times in row it once I start to drive any car it stops after 5 mins and does not come back until reboot .I'm thinking of sending straight back as faulty I got it from very.co.uk .I have to say that the 2 laps I get in before the issue are the best simracing 2 laps of my long life .I'm just so peed off lol

Johngrim
09-08-2015, 23:17
A quick update. Iv got a full refund and bought the Ferrari 458 spider wheel.I'm very impressed with this wheel it just works and every car is a pleasure to drive .I will wait till the TX becomes more reliable before I get another .

Haiden
10-08-2015, 00:07
A quick update. Iv got a full refund and bought the Ferrari 458 spider wheel.I'm very impressed with this wheel it just works and every car is a pleasure to drive .I will wait till the TX becomes more reliable before I get another .

I don't know. I had a Spider and upgraded to the TX about two weeks later. The Spider is a decent wheel, but I needed FFB. I haven't had any issues with my TX (knock on wood). I upgraded to a GT rim, but the stock rim worked fine. I used it for about a year, before upgrading. If you can give the TX another shot, you should. Might have just been the one you had.

SN95NIK
10-08-2015, 12:57
I did, eventually, get the wheel replaced by TX support. They wanted a ridiculous amount of evidence (video of that, screenshots of this, copies of invoices, etc). It took about 7 weeks total. By three weeks, I had gone out and bought a GTE replacement wheel, which fixed the problem. When I told support that would be the last $$$ they ever got from me, that seemed to speed the replacement process up. I did return the GTE wheel, and am back with a replacement stock 458, but still doubt I will be purchasing any more TX equipment.

TL;DR - If you can, just return the wheel to the vendor you purchased it from as faulty, versus trying to deal with TX support.

Schnizz58
10-08-2015, 15:25
I did, eventually, get the wheel replaced by TX support. They wanted a ridiculous amount of evidence (video of that, screenshots of this, copies of invoices, etc). It took about 7 weeks total. By three weeks, I had gone out and bought a GTE replacement wheel, which fixed the problem. When I told support that would be the last $$$ they ever got from me, that seemed to speed the replacement process up. I did return the GTE wheel, and am back with a replacement stock 458, but still doubt I will be purchasing any more TX equipment.

TL;DR - If you can, just return the wheel to the vendor you purchased it from as faulty, versus trying to deal with TX support.
I went through the same thing with them. I thought having to provide video evidence was a little over the top and I let them know it.

ashasha
10-08-2015, 15:52
I've had my TX for close to a year now and never had an issue yet....knock on wood. The one thing that I did do though was buy it through WalMart online and got the 3 year warranty so if it does fail (and there were lots of instances online where it did) that I wouldn't be completely out. I think that I used an online coupon or something and it ended up working out as the exact same price as if I had bought it anywhere else.

Haiden
10-08-2015, 16:28
I've had my TX for close to a year now and never had an issue yet....knock on wood. The one thing that I did do though was buy it through WalMart online and got the 3 year warranty so if it does fail (and there were lots of instances online where it did) that I wouldn't be completely out. I think that I used an online coupon or something and it ended up working out as the exact same price as if I had bought it anywhere else.

Yeah... I can't remember if I ordered mine through Best Buy or GameStop, but I did that, because I wanted to be able to walk into a brick and mortar store to get a refund if there was a problem. I don't like begging via email/phone and dealing with the shipping things back. Luckily, though, I haven't had any trouble with mine (knock on wood :) ). It's been well over a year, too.

Intense Chip
11-08-2015, 16:12
Got the same reaction when I mentioned to Customer Support at Thrustmaster about inactivity of the Left Paddle. They asked the same questions, they want a video of me shifting with game and a video of using the calibration on Firmware update channel. This doesn't just happen in Project Cars it is dead on Firmware channel as well!!
Everything else seems to work OK but it is annoying to have to use the small button to downshift.
I have ordered Leather 28 GT rim add-on, hope this works better. The process that you have to do to report faults with Thrustmaster is appalling and should be simplified. They should also take your work without having to see videos when you tell them that it won't show them anything that you haven't already told them!!
I too wish you luck. I haven't got to doing photo of sticker on bottom of base or the two videos yet. Not looking forward to this waste of time. It would probably be better to get in contact with the company that I originally bought the wheel from!!

justonce68
12-08-2015, 08:35
Quote fit for purpose, and your consumer rights, it should not be down to you to prove its broken. They should take it back and test it themselves

SN95NIK
12-08-2015, 14:37
Quote fit for purpose, and your consumer rights, it should not be down to you to prove its broken. They should take it back and test it themselves

This. SO MUCH THIS!

oscarolim
13-08-2015, 11:45
Got an email from them today to send the usual, pictures and video. Let's see when they get back.

Here's the video anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ACSeZdLugI&feature=youtu.be