PDA

View Full Version : Chicanes. Too easy.

dvc
14-05-2015, 19:32
Most (if not all) chicanes can be cut on the inside of the apexes without penalty and you gain a lot of time doing this
Forgive my paint skills
See examples below

JohnyHerbertLovesCake
14-05-2015, 19:39
Totally agree. And once one or two cars start doing it everyone has to follow or lose time. I don't get why online races seem to ignore cars leaving the track in such a way. The worst you get is an invalid track time which means jack all.

And I'd say your drawing is quite conservative compared to what I've experienced online. Completely ignoring the chicane altogether seems to happen quite often.

flatspunout
14-05-2015, 19:45
T1/2 and final chicane at Catalunya are ridiculous, 3+ sec per lap advantage easily.

Patrick Kulinski
14-05-2015, 21:00
During development it was decided that kerbs shall belong to the eligible track surface, and AFAIK this is what most other sims seem to be doing.

The solution for you guys would be making the kerbs "non-track surface", am I correct? Or do you mean that anything is wrong with either the cars' physics and/or the tracks' kerb representations? In the latter case please provide the cars you can cut those chicanes with, too (and preferably make a suggestion what should be done about that).

VR-42
14-05-2015, 21:43
one wheel on the track at all times

dvc
14-05-2015, 22:11
During development it was decided that kerbs shall belong to the eligible track surface, and AFAIK this is what most other sims seem to be doing.

The solution for you guys would be making the kerbs "non-track surface", am I correct? Or do you mean that anything is wrong with either the cars' physics and/or the tracks' kerb representations? In the latter case please provide the cars you can cut those chicanes with, too (and preferably make a suggestion what should be done about that).

I think it would be hard to implement:
- As long as two wheels on the inner side of the corner are within white lines it counts as on track, otherwise it counts as cut and penalised but you still allowed to leave track on the exit of the corner
- or, two wheels always within white lines, but you will be penalised after for example three warnings. (one id prefer as it would make you be more careful and not hope that you can go flat out and hope that astroturf will give you enough grip)

I hope I explained it clear enough :)

yusupov
14-05-2015, 22:16

why not keep this rule if its preferred, but make some 'arbitrary' lines in the places where its a problem? there are only so many points in the game where this is going to be an issue, & they are going to be obvious. so make a cut track penalty if you use too much of the curb at monza for example, again at catalunya.

some will complain but that seems like the simplest way to resolve the issue

dvc
14-05-2015, 22:18
@yusupov Its not about complaining, its about real world rules

flatspunout
14-05-2015, 22:29
Four wheels over the white line = corner cut IMO

T2 at Catalunya is being completely ignored, I've seen GT3 cars go to the left of the sausages that are supposed to slow you down. That should be automatic DQ, again IMO.

IrideGravity
14-05-2015, 23:00
Four wheels over the white line = corner cut IMO

T2 at Catalunya is being completely ignored, I've seen GT3 cars go to the left of the sausages that are supposed to slow you down. That should be automatic DQ, again IMO.

Yup. Anywhere the proper circuit is being ignored, there should be penaltys, or dq's. Seems like they have a lot of chicanes to fix or dial in to keep the game honest. Nurburgring GP last chicane can be cheated a bit, but it has a penalty too. Seems to allow you to use a little too much curb, or maybe not any if you go behind it and cut.
I agree the best way to handle is to implement a hard fast rule. Either 1 or two wheels always on track or a penalty. I'd say one wheel leaves a bit of wiggle room if you over cook a corner or make a mistake.

PureMalt77
14-05-2015, 23:05
Not sure if is only about making herbs "non-track surface". As you can see in the drawings and from what I've seen online, they cut fully outside the herbs. Best sample is the first corner of Monza...

dvc
14-05-2015, 23:11
Not sure if is only about making herbs "non-track surface". As you can see in the drawings and from what I've seen online, they cut fully outside the herbs. Best sample is the first corner of Monza...

Its still technically a kerb/astroturf/something that makes game recognise it as a tack surface.

@Partick Your picture. I remember that race :P Flying Vitalij ;D

flatspunout
14-05-2015, 23:24
http://youtu.be/KmbkaUGPYgo
https://youtu.be/_H28M635heA

Patrick Kulinski
16-05-2015, 06:02
Made a post in the WMD forum, forwarding the issue. Thanks for reporting!

http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?1255-Track-cutting&p=891567&viewfull=1#post891567

SgtMajSquish
16-05-2015, 07:53
Could a chicane be labelled in the code as a higher priority sector where stricter track rules will be applied?

Patrick Kulinski
16-05-2015, 09:20
This would be two separate rule frames which would need mechanics to trigger one or the other, depending on position. And then f.e. it would be interesting to see what happens in corner cases (you're off track and enter the high-prio section). This would be interesting to solve, to say the least. Restructuring the assignments what is off-track and what isn't would be much easier to make and (personal opinion following) easier to understand for the player. Nothing is more frustrating than being beaten with a penalty stick and not knowing why.

GTOdaddy73
16-05-2015, 10:36
Most (if not all) chicanes can be cut on the inside of the apexes without penalty and you gain a lot of time doing this
Forgive my paint skills
See examples below

The lines you drew are actually pretty good racing lines unless specifically noted as non racing surface by race stewards. Blatant corner cutting is one thing (like in the post with the YouTube links) but every race I've watched, attended and/or competed in I've seen (and attempted) getting your car on the rumble strip to gain time if acceptable and successful.

FoxRider25
16-05-2015, 10:38
The worse track I have experienced for this so far was the Le Mans circuit, the first chicane can be massively cut without penalty. Was racing on it last night and was trying to take it correctly, when another car blasted past me!!! So I had no choice but to do the same things else I would of had little chance of gaining the time back.

flatspunout
16-05-2015, 17:42
Made a post in the WMD forum, forwarding the issue. Thanks for reporting!

http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?1255-Track-cutting&p=891567&viewfull=1#post891567

Thanks for following up Patrick, I can only imagine what a headache it has to be coding track limits and penalties so any improvement is welcome.

MrBeasa
17-05-2015, 09:30
One of the worst ones I've experienced is the chicane at Monaco GP (Azure Circuit). You can go flat out over it and get a 5 sec pen but still end up gaining over 5 sec.. Bit of a joke imo.

EMW Simmo
17-05-2015, 11:47
One of the worst ones I've experienced is the chicane at Monaco GP (Azure Circuit). You can go flat out over it and get a 5 sec pen but still end up gaining over 5 sec.. Bit of a joke imo.

Its a complete mess, 50% of the tracks can be cut to bits and thats concervative lol, the only way is to reset track limits and also the time trials/Lbs
Catalunya,silverstone,monza,lemans,azure,sonoma,bugatti,hockenheim etc etc the list goes on...
You know everyone is not honest lol, n will do anything to be faster, n the most shocking thing is that competitions have already been won by blatent cheating...
Please fix asap or the game is finished for me, because Lbs/multiplayer/community it happens everywhere.