PDA

View Full Version : Any unwritten rules in online sim racing?

superspar
14-05-2015, 19:44
I've been racing a bit of online in Project CARS, but I'm getting cut off the track a lot, is there any 'rules' in racing games?

Thomas Sikora
14-05-2015, 19:53
???
stay on track ;)

if you cut to much the track, your laptime will not be recorded for the leaderboard or qualify, you normaly should see a popup in the left buttom corner were you will be informend that you laptime is invalid due to too "offtrack" driving.
try it and you will see what is ok and what not.

At very big cutting you get a 5s penalty were you can't accelerate.

Edit:.. more important in multiplayer.... don't use other cars as brake block :hopelessness:

Umer Ahmad
14-05-2015, 19:55
1. Stay between the white lines
2. If you violate rule #1 DO NOT over-correct into someone else

superspar
14-05-2015, 19:59
The white line, I ain't getting it? By the way, the problem isn't ALWAYS me, sometimes I brake before a corner, sometimes a tat too early, then they push me in the back and I roll off track... ;)

Umer Ahmad
14-05-2015, 20:04
There are 2 white lines that define the track

bent_toe
14-05-2015, 20:13
Respect other drivers, don't ram people. Stay on track. Look for openings. Don't be a arcade racing jerk.

falcon2081
14-05-2015, 20:14
Don't treat practice and qualifying as a race. Move out of the racing line if you see someone coming up fast.

superspar
14-05-2015, 20:16
Hopefully someone would like to me help me someday :D

loud_rocker
14-05-2015, 20:23
Unfortunately not a lot of people understand racing rules. The most misunderstood is when it comes to passing. Most people think that the faster car always have the right of way which is untrue. That only applies on straightaways and it the responsibility of the slower car not to block the faster car, that doesn't mean you have to move out of the way, the faster car has to pass you safely. Once a car commits to a turn into the apex it does not have to yield to a faster car or not. If a faster car tries to pass you in corner they must do it without causing a accident. So it you get a blue flag you can not block that car from passing, it doesn't mean move out out of the way though sometimes it is to your advantage if to get set up for a upcoming turn. If you see a blue flag and are just starting your turn into an apex hold your line and if that car is much faster they will either pass you coming out of the turn or if you execute the turn poorly and you give them the opening they need they will pass you in the turn. Vice versa if you are the faster car.

The thing to watch out for is the turn one smash up. everyone tries to get the advantage right away in turn one and that is where everyone just crashes into anyone with no abandon. Try to be patient and hold back through here drive around that mess. It's a good way to gain some position.

Last thing qualifying is not a race. To many people go racing out of the pits and are all trying to drive like its a race for first place and keep running each other off the track. Let some distance between you and other drivers so you can get a good lap time in without trying to jockey for position on the track with other drivers which will slow your qualifying time down.

N0body Of The Goat
14-05-2015, 21:14
I look forward to the day when a race sim implements penalties for changing line while defending a position more than once and changing line in the braking zones for corners.

I also love drivers who go out of their way to spoil my qualifying lap, when they are on an outlap, or they have invalidated their qualifying lap. They should be instantly renamed Michael or Nico, especially if this happens at Monaco. ;)

o Mike V o
14-05-2015, 21:19
Most people just don't know what racing etiquette is, some even claim to be knowledgeable motorsport fans despite this ignorance.

lollygag
14-05-2015, 21:22
Respect other drivers, don't ram people. Stay on track. Look for openings. Don't be a arcade racing jerk.

Yea, that ramming from behind shit sucks.. I only do that when I need to save on my brakes.

falcon2081
14-05-2015, 22:01
Another thing I forgot to mention. For the love of god if you spin out, go into the gravel, whatever DO NOT get back on track immediately and into the racing line unless you are alone. Look at the track map. If there's traffic wait and let them through then get back on. It's your fault you went off track don't mess it up for others by having you blocking the racing line while getting back on.

lollygag
14-05-2015, 22:45
"But I was already in front of you.."

Eric Rowland
15-05-2015, 01:29
Have control of your car at ALL times.
Don't follow right behind the car in front, leave some room for yourself...and them.
Glance in your mirrors regularly or glance at the track map...know where your opponents are.
Practice on the tracks and learn where the braking points are.
Don't overdrive the car. Be there at the finish and don't give up no matter how far behind you are.
Be patient. 9 times out of 10 the cars in front will go off track and you'll move up the order with ease.

(Now, back to your regularly scheduled programmming.)

OperatorWay
15-05-2015, 08:02
Typically, general motorsport rules & etiquette apply - such as:

http://www.fia.com/regulations

"2015 F1 Sporting Regulations - Published on 26.02.15...

...20) DRIVING

...20.2 Drivers must use the track at all times. For the avoidance of doubt the white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track but the kerbs are not.

A driver will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with the track.

Should a car leave the track the driver may re-join, however, this may only be done when it is safe to do so and without gaining any lasting advantage...

A driver may not deliberately leave the track without justifiable reason.

20.3 More than one change of direction to defend a position is not permitted. Any driver moving back towards the racing line, having earlier defended his position off-line, should leave at least one car width between his own car and the edge of the track on the approach to the corner.

20.4 Any driver defending his position on a straight, and before any braking area, may use the full width of the track during his first move, provided no significant portion of the car attempting to pass is alongside his. Whilst defending in this way the driver may not leave the track without justifiable reason.

For the avoidance of doubt, if any part of the front wing of the car attempting to pass is alongside the rear wheel of the car in front this will be deemed to be a 'significant portion'.

20.5 Manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such as deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are not permitted.

20.6 As soon as a car is caught by another car which is about to lap it during the race the driver must allow the faster driver past at the first available opportunity..."

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules

"Club Codes & Regulations...

...25.4 Rules for Overtaking

25.4.1 Passing General

The responsibility for the decision to pass another car, and to do it safely, rests with the overtaking driver. The overtaken driver should be aware that he/she is being passed and must not impede the pass by blocking. A driver who does not watch his/her mirrors or who appears to be blocking another car seeking a pass may be black-flagged and/or penalized. The act of passing is initiated when the trailing car's (Car A) front bumper overlaps with the lead car's (Car B) rear bumper. The act of passing is complete when Car A's rear bumper is ahead of Car B's front bumper...

25.4.2 Punting

The term "punting" is defined as nose to tail (or side-of-the-nose to side-of-the-tail) contact, where the leading car is significantly knocked off of the racing line. Once the trailing car has its front wheel next to the driver of the other vehicle, it is considered that the trailing car has a right to be there. And, that the leading driver must leave the trailing driver enough "racing room." In most cases, "racing room" is defined as "at least three quarters of one car width..."

25.4.3 Right to the Line

The driver in front has the right to choose any line, as long as they are not considered to be blocking. The driver in front loses the right to choose his or her line when the overtaking driver has their front wheel next to the driver...

25.4.4 Blocking

A driver may choose to protect his or her line so long as it is not considered blocking. Blocking is defined as two (2) consecutive line changes to "protect his/her line," and in doing so, impedes the vehicle that is trying to pass with each of the two (2) consecutive movements...

...25.6 Off-course Excursions

The competitor is required to follow the marked course during competition and shall not gain an advantage by an off-course excursion. An off-course excursion is defined as leaving the marked course with all four wheels...

...25.8 Counter-Course Driving

Participants shall not drive on the course in the direction opposite to the normal traffic flow, unless a driver must do so for a short distance, in an extreme emergency and only for the sole purposes of getting out of harm's way, or when ordered to do so by a Course Official.

25.9 Stopping On Course

Stopping on course is expressly prohibited unless it is an emergency event. "Stopping" includes abrupt and/or unexpected slowing to a near stop. Stopping to help a disabled car is prohibited. An emergency, for the purposes of this section, is defined as only those events concerning medical problems, mechanical failure, onboard fire, or damage from an incident that renders the vehicle unfit to continue.

25.9.1 Stopping in an Emergency

Anytime a driver is forced to stop in an emergency; the first concern should be to place the car in an area where it will not cause danger to the other drivers...

...25.11 Heating of Tires

Weaving to heat tires (a.k.a. scrubbing) is prohibited in the pitlane and on track, except under full-course yellow conditions; and only when prudent to do so..."

...But these would actually be written rules, rather than unwritten ones. :)

biomarvel
15-05-2015, 09:20
alwasy remember that you hold the advantage if you are around 1 second behind someone, not 0.1, if they brake you have no reaction time and then you turn into one of those rammers.

My rules that i go by are drive clean, and if you are going to ram only ram after you have been rammed yourself. people need to learn that if they take a hairpin at 100mph and use you as a brake then they should be spun out too. and if you are going to do this look for a corner with a long run off so that you can definately mess their lap up.

take car on your outlap, no need to go full speed, get your tyres up to temperature before starting your hot lap.

Unfortunately as has already been mentioned there are some idiots out there that think that every session is a race, the only way to avoid quali knobs, is by making sure you leave the pits in plenty of clean air, this way you can concentrate on your racing lines and not if someone is going to cut accross the track while you are on your best delta times.

all in all have fun!

suter1972
15-05-2015, 10:04
what about qualifying?

On my outlap I try and keep an eye on my mirrors for fast cars on their qual laps and move off the racing line. 25% of the time I get the same courtesy and have seen people hanging back when exiting pits.

However last night I was in a session with a few people from here (shall remain nameless) and im on my qualifying hot lap. If I was catching them fast they wouldn't budge but f'd and jeffed that I was all over their rear and how it put them off. In reality I was trying to find a way past. Then on other occasions the same driver would literally side swipe me when I was the slower car, pushing past. When I inevitably caught them up and used the same lack of respect, I was swore at. Even in the game a brave overtake move was met with 'fookin idiot' and 'ill kick your arse'.... I honestly think this driver would be better doing time trials on a track by themselves with no one around them.

jaykinch
15-05-2015, 12:58
Try try and try to stay out of trouble on turn 1
You will find if u stay out of trouble on turn 1 by end of first lap you will be pretty much in top 5 lol same with all racing games.
Don't try and over take someone in silly places
You will find that if u stay behind someone and place a little pressure on them there's a good chance they gonna balls a corner up and u will overtake them with ease.
Everyone in that race is the best driver in the world including yourself ;) but just incase give everyone plenty of room don't just chance it
Stay calm and remember it's just a game
Cheers

cloakdeath
15-05-2015, 13:58
Unfortunately not a lot of people understand racing rules. The most misunderstood is when it comes to passing. Most people think that the faster car always have the right of way which is untrue. That only applies on straightaways and it the responsibility of the slower car not to block the faster car, that doesn't mean you have to move out of the way, the faster car has to pass you safely. Once a car commits to a turn into the apex it does not have to yield to a faster car or not. If a faster car tries to pass you in corner they must do it without causing a accident. So it you get a blue flag you can not block that car from passing, it doesn't mean move out out of the way though sometimes it is to your advantage if to get set up for a upcoming turn. If you see a blue flag and are just starting your turn into an apex hold your line and if that car is much faster they will either pass you coming out of the turn or if you execute the turn poorly and you give them the opening they need they will pass you in the turn. Vice versa if you are the faster car.

The thing to watch out for is the turn one smash up. everyone tries to get the advantage right away in turn one and that is where everyone just crashes into anyone with no abandon. Try to be patient and hold back through here drive around that mess. It's a good way to gain some position.

Last thing qualifying is not a race. To many people go racing out of the pits and are all trying to drive like its a race for first place and keep running each other off the track. Let some distance between you and other drivers so you can get a good lap time in without trying to jockey for position on the track with other drivers which will slow your qualifying time down.

I think 99% of issues regarding people hitting the person driving correctly online is that many don't understand the concept of a racing line.

flatspunout
15-05-2015, 17:34
http://www.ukgpl.com/rec_dvr_beh/rec_driver_beh.htm

This should be required reading and a pop quiz given before you are allowed to access multiplayer. :cool:

BBoy
15-05-2015, 23:15
Unwritten rules, or common sense rules as I like to call them, usually include the following:

- Stay within the track boundaries
- No intentional wrecking or purposefully plowing into accidents
- You can block, but be smart about it
- If you're a lapped car, move out of the way of the leaders
- If you spin or lose control of your car, try not to spin into oncoming traffic
- Show a general sense of respect towards other drivers (A simple "gl" or "gr" will suffice).

loud_rocker
16-05-2015, 03:01
Unwritten rules, or common sense rules as I like to call them, usually include the following:

- Stay within the track boundaries
- No intentional wrecking or purposefully plowing into accidents
- You can block, but be smart about it
- If you're a lapped car, move out of the way of the leaders
- If you spin or lose control of your car, try not to spin into oncoming traffic
- Show a general sense of respect towards other drivers (A simple "gl" or "gr" will suffice).

I think you probably meant to use the word defend not block. Blocking is illegal for those who might of misunderstood what you meant. And by being smart to clarify I think you meant to explain you can defend your position by holding the optimum line and out braking your opponent, not zig zaging back and forth across the the track blocking every attempt to pass for those with thick craniums.