PDA

View Full Version : Lag compensation - broken, or is it just me?

piphil
14-05-2015, 21:08
So I finally navigated around Project CARS' surprisingly unhelpful server browser, and joined a race for the first time.

A couple of laps in, I meet this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeh_jiyGheY

Now obviously whoever is driving the orange car is doing nothing malicious. But I am astounded by how bad the game compensates for lag during play. I've never seen anything like it.

Surely if someone has this sort of high ping, they should be auto-ejected from the server to allow everyone else to race? At best it completely breaks any immersion; at worse, it destroys many people's race (see the end of the above video).

Is this just something I've seen (one race, not exactly statistically significant), or is this common across the servers?

Kamikaze_Urmel
15-05-2015, 02:26
You can only do so much with lag compensation. And since lag compensation is only guessing where the other car is it can make things turn out much worse...

madmax2069
15-05-2015, 02:57
Lag compensation doesnt solve the issue with lag spikes, as the case with that player. A big enough lag spike will always cause warping regardless of how good the lag compensation is. It only really helps if the ping is constant (as a example if his ping was a constant 200ms).

A lag spike cant really be compensated for, only mitigated to a point.

That players connections was either really bad or he was really far away from you.

piphil
15-05-2015, 11:02
Lag compensation doesnt solve the issue with lag spikes, as the case with that player. A big enough lag spike will always cause warping regardless of how good the lag compensation is. It only really helps if the ping is constant (as a example if his ping was a constant 200ms).

A lag spike cant really be compensated for, only mitigated to a point.

That players connections was either really bad or he was really far away from you.

I understand there's not much you can do to completely correct for lag spikes. What you can do though is make sure that the game doesn't continuously warp the offending car around, or cause their car to behave suddenly as if it's had a JATO rocket attached to it! :-P

The lag I see on my end will be a combination of the ping between myself and the server/host, and the ping between the orange car's computer and the server/host. What I guess I would like is for people who have ping that is so bad that it causes the effects seen above (no other car was behaving like that in a pretty big field, so I'm assuming the problem was their connection to the server specifically) be booted automatically to allow the rest of us to race in peace. We can use the normal vote to boot player, but in the middle of the race it's not an easy thing to do...