PDA

View Full Version : Which external hard drive for Xbox One

robwdavies
14-05-2015, 21:17
Looking for an external hard drive for Xbox One, primarily to see if it helps with frame rate issues.

Am I right in thinking it needs to be a 7200rpm drive, as otherwise it will be no faster than the internal drive?

Looking on Amazon, etc. it doesn't often give the speed of the drive.

Can anyone recommend a suitable drive?

Pikamark
14-05-2015, 21:23
Im using this one with a digital copy and don't seem to have any problems
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ILALU9G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

gds1972
14-05-2015, 21:34
Using an 7200 rpm external hard drive will probably only assist with loading times and not have any influence over frame rates.

Rockefelluh
14-05-2015, 21:39
I think buying a $80-$100 hard drive is a little overkill for frame rate. The frame rate will improve with patching. It's your money though!

Ma5hEd
14-05-2015, 21:47
I use a 2TB WD My Passport Ultra, its a 7200rpm drive so games load slightly faster than the internal drive.

turbohondaej1
14-05-2015, 23:04
If you want the best get a ssd drive.

Ixoye56
14-05-2015, 23:22
I have order a Seagate Expansion 2TB USB 3.0 external 7200rpm drive, hope to get on friday.

AsHeavenIsWide
14-05-2015, 23:33
Buying an 7200rpm external drive with enough space is probably going to be twice the games price. SSD 3x.

You should wait for some optimisation patches to be released. No point wasting money on trying to band aid the game.

Ma5hEd
15-05-2015, 00:16
If you want the best get a ssd drive.

Yep, I'll definitely be upgrading my external when a 2TB SSD is 70.

You should wait for some optimisation patches to be released. No point wasting money on trying to band aid the game.

^This

I have no idea how bad it is on the internal drive as all my games go on the external, but Project cars still has massive frame rate issues for me.

Wingles
15-05-2015, 00:27
I've been considering an external drive for some time now because I'm at 90% capacity on my internal drive. The chance of seeing a bit more performance out of Project Cars and other games pushed me to over the line and I picked up a WD 4TB My Book (5400 RPM drive) yesterday on sale at Best Buy for $132.

Before making that buy, I found this external hard drive guide from Digital Foundry that helped a lot. They go through the differences and impacts across 5400, 7200, and SSD drives. In the end they determined there wasn't enough benefit in terms of performance over a standard 5400 RPM external drive to justify the cost. You can read the entire guide HERE (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-xbox-one-external-hard-drive-upgrade-guide).

"In essence, the results are much the same as our recent PlayStation 4 hard drive upgrade testing - any purchasing decision should be dictated by how much money you're paying per gigabyte as opposed to performance considerations. Time and time again, our value 69.99 USB 3.0 passport drive kept up admirably with the pricier, more exotic storage options during our testing, despite its spec deficiencies. That's good news for your wallet, though the hardcore may feel some lingering disappointment that the one upgradable element of the new Microsoft console doesn't offer any palpable improvements over the cheap and cheerful option." - Digital Foundry 10/08/2014

thisisbleep
15-05-2015, 02:58
All 7200 RPM and 5400 RPM drives (which are larger than 2TB) require an external power source, so be aware that you will need an extra plug.

I personally would recommend a 5400 RPM portable hard drive, the load times are slightly longer but the hard drive is a lot smaller and portable, so can easily be taken around to a friend to play those installed games.

I personally have this one: http://www.wdc.hk/en/products/products.aspx?id=470

There is an "Xbox One" version of that hard drive, but it is the same thing which a different case and slightly higher price.

robwdavies
15-05-2015, 05:52
Thanks for all the replies.

Bit confused now to be honest. After seeing a lot of talk about large capacity external (non portable) drives on other threads, the advice now seems to be don't bother/get a portable one.

I have a 500gb WD Passport Edge which I currently use but between that and the internal I struggle for space a bit. Therefore it wouldn't just be a purchase for Project Cars, but that would be the final thing that tipped the balance.

itakethepics
15-05-2015, 07:40
Thanks for all the replies.

Bit confused now to be honest. After seeing a lot of talk about large capacity external (non portable) drives on other threads, the advice now seems to be don't bother/get a portable one.

I have a 500gb WD Passport Edge which I currently use but between that and the internal I struggle for space a bit. Therefore it wouldn't just be a purchase for Project Cars, but that would be the final thing that tipped the balance.

Realistically if you want to get an external drive (although looks like you already bought one) you should get an SSD. I have a 7200rpm external attached and while its great an SSD will blow it out of the water but then you compromise on space...

Another way which nobody has mentioned is raid 0 two identical 7200rpm drives in an external enclosure (the enclosures are a bit more expensive) but this will result in lighting fast speeds and the capacity that people want.

robwdavies
15-05-2015, 08:43
The drive I use is one I already had knocking about the house (bought it before I even had an XBox One).

RAID 0 is interesting but cost is then looking to take a real step up.

itakethepics
15-05-2015, 08:55
The drive I use is one I already had knocking about the house (bought it before I even had an XBox One).

RAID 0 is interesting but cost is then looking to take a real step up.

Yeah same, just had a spare 750Gb 7200 from a HDMI recorder lying around.

It would be expensive yes... but when you work it out its actually pretty good when comparing to an SSD.

Enclosure = 40-60
2x 1TB 7200rpm WD Drives = 90
Giving you 2Tb of high speed RAID 0 for about 130-40.

A 500Gb SSD will set you back 130 alone.

Another option would be to RAID 0 two SSHD's they retail for about 50 for 500Gb giving the 'booting' speed of an SSD with the space of a normal drive.

thisisbleep
15-05-2015, 09:01
Realistically if you want to get an external drive (although looks like you already bought one) you should get an SSD. I have a 7200rpm external attached and while its great an SSD will blow it out of the water but then you compromise on space...

Another way which nobody has mentioned is raid 0 two identical 7200rpm drives in an external enclosure (the enclosures are a bit more expensive) but this will result in lighting fast speeds and the capacity that people want.

You would not get the most out of an SSD, it would be far better to put that considerable extra cost towards a wheel or something else. The only exception would be for games which load data from the hard drive whilst you are playing, but they even tested that and did not see much of an advantage to it.

This is one of many guides (you can search for them quite easily): http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-xbox-one-external-hard-drive-upgrade-guide

gizziegod
15-05-2015, 10:42
I have order a Seagate Expansion 2TB USB 3.0 external 7200rpm drive, hope to get on friday.

that what i have been using for a couple of months now with no problems

Ixoye56
15-05-2015, 13:18

An SSD is not needed, it can not go faster than the USB interface performance allows anyway.

N30n117
15-05-2015, 14:17
I got a 3tb WD mybook external, 7200rpm, certainly helps speed things up, I needed it anyway as my Xbox was full.
Got it for around 90 new

itakethepics
19-05-2015, 14:33
An SSD is not needed, it can not go faster than the USB interface performance allows anyway.

Its not needed you're right, but it will utilise the files faster from the drive, like so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6ODSZsvnBc

Reason being is the xbox one internal drive is a 5400rpm drive on SATA II, which is limited to about 300MB/s, the USB 3 bus SATA III is capable of 625MB/s... over twice as fast.

The faster the external drive the better the performance, just weather its really needed is down to the person and their money situ. That said I run a 7200rpm external USB 3 drive and that sufficient for me, just giving info.

Outlier
19-05-2015, 14:50
Okay - so I know that I will be buying an external drive down the road - mostly because i read there is a good chance MS enables the xbox to offer TV DVR. But if there is a chance for improved performance on Proj Cars or on the xbox in general - I'm all for adding this now!

So I haven't noticed a lot of frame rate issues except when people join in on multiplayer sessions. I expect this is a network hiccup more than a harddrive speed issue. But I've hardly scratched the service on single player - so i may find dropped frames more and more as I get into the game. However, what I do find is when I try to snap my friends list or other apps for the first time, the system is very slow to load them. I wonder if I loaded games on an external drive if it would allow the OS to multi-task easier and load both game and app faster???

Has anyone noticed improved system performance simply from installing games on an external drive?

LADY GEMMA JANE
19-05-2015, 14:54
I have a Seagate Expansion 4TB 3.5
works well

stux
19-05-2015, 15:19
I went with a Seagate Expansion 2TB instead of the WD Elements drive

http://www.cnet.com/au/products/seagate-expansion-portable-drive/
http://www.cnet.com/products/wd-elements-portable/

1) I decided a portable drive was more convenient. Portables are more robust, easier to transport and don't require a separate power plug.
2) I didn't need 3 or 4TB. It's taken me nearly 18 months to use up the internal 500GB!
3) I didn't need a 7200 rpm because games are designed for the internal's slow speed and the bang for buck is good
4) the Seagate and WD drive don't come with any of that backup crap you don't need
5) they're both USB3
6) the seagate is 20% faster
7) the seagate has a longer warranty
8) I got it for the same price as the WD
9) it looks good on top of the xbox :)

Points against
1) been burnt by seagate internal's many many times in the past, and would normally opt for WD

And yes, games on the external seem to run better.

Ixoye56
19-05-2015, 16:32
i have a 3.5 desktop Seagate Expansion version, they have a Barracuda 7200rpm hdd inside + external power source, they give best performance since it does not share the USB port for power source, but i'm sure any usb 3 disc will be give better performance than the internal SATA junk that is inside Xbone.

nissan4ever
19-05-2015, 17:00
This is what I'm using on my Xbox One.
Seagate 4TB STBV4000100 @ 7200 RPM

leftturney
19-05-2015, 17:59
Western Dig My Passport Ultra 2TB. It's good. Before I settled on this I also tested my usb 3 raid enclosure with two Samsung 840 pros (256GB) in it, raid 0. The performance increase was so minimal compared to the hdd that I considered it to be a waste of two SSDs and stopped using it.

Bobbydakid
27-05-2015, 19:11
I installed the game to a 7200rpm external hard drive today. The game has definitely been running more smoothly for me. I have noticed the frame rate is slightly better and the options screen now backs out almost instantly. Still get frame drops at certain points on some tracks but no where near as bad as before. For example a race at Sakitto was almost unplayable before, now I can race on it in the rain with a full grid :)

If any of you guys are thinking of getting an external hard drive I definitely recommend getting a 7200rpm one.

LADY GEMMA JANE
29-05-2015, 22:11
This is what I'm using on my Xbox One.

Same as me :)

FormerFaun
10-07-2015, 07:29
Hi gents,

I purchased a 1tb touro s 7200rpm external for use with PC's. I've transfered everything successfully but have not noticed an improvement in load times, not even slightly quicker times. Add to that I have found game play worse(chugging).

Just running an open wheeler by myself around a track the screen surges (slows then speeds back up)

I thought going to a faster spindle via usb3 would see a marked improvement in load times.

If anything it's slighly worse overall gameplay and no better load speeds.

Any ideas guys??

Edit: just setup a race with 30 cars and as soon as lights went green everything slowed, I mean like watching a slow motion reply. The sound was at close to normal speed when squeezing the throttle but the image was almost stopped. This was in the dry to.

nissan4ever
10-07-2015, 09:36
Edit: just setup a race with 30 cars and as soon as lights went green everything slowed, I mean like watching a slow motion reply. The sound was at close to normal speed when squeezing the throttle but the image was almost stopped. This was in the dry to.

What track were you at? Several tracks get better art optimization in patch 2.0 (when it's released on Xbox One. See overall Patch 2.0 notes).

1. Hard Restart your console, then go straight to Project CARS. Do nothing else on the console.
2. Lower the car count to 15 on the track. (after patch 2.0 gets released, try higher grids) Also, set time of day to 11:00 am.

What did this do for you?

Plato99
10-07-2015, 11:10
I've just installed a WD Elements 3TB.
Drive sits in lo-power mode until you boot the XB1, and then goes back in to lo-power mode when you shut it down.
Whole process of transferring game installs to the drive was rapid and painless.

PCars takes noticeably less time to startup and the loading times for tracks has also been cut short considerably.
No stuttering at all now, even at Oulton Park.

Good investment. Gone from 79% full to under 10% !!

Apoc112
10-07-2015, 11:28
i have a Seagate Slim Backup 2TB (5400rpm, bus powered) and i don't experience many of the frame rate and stuttering issues others report here. I never tested with/without the HDD though because i owned it before pcars launched.

Ixoye56
10-07-2015, 11:44
I don't experience any frame rate and stuttering issues others report here, but I haven't play any career yet because of all the bugs, but the game works flawlessly in Solo mode for me installed on the external Seagate 2T USB3.

LADY GEMMA JANE
10-07-2015, 12:19
I have a Seagate 4TB. shows 3.6 tb when formatted, all works fine

Im Sorry
10-07-2015, 12:21
I use a 2TB WD My Passport Ultra, its a 7200rpm drive so games load slightly faster than the internal drive.

As above :yes:

FormerFaun
11-07-2015, 00:17
What track were you at? Several tracks get better art optimization in patch 2.0 (when it's released on Xbox One. See overall Patch 2.0 notes).

1. Hard Restart your console, then go straight to Project CARS. Do nothing else on the console.
2. Lower the car count to 15 on the track. (after patch 2.0 gets released, try higher grids) Also, set time of day to 11:00 am.

What did this do for you?

I was using Dubai gp. I haven't had any game play issues since patch 1.4, even with full weather. All my current problems have come since moving the game to an external drive. I always boot the game from beginning when playing the game.

Would a better quality usb3 cable be the answer?

Plato99
11-07-2015, 17:28
What drive did you get? A decent 7200rpm 3.5" mains powered or a 5400rpm 2.5" one that takes its power from the USB port?

SuperTidosho
17-07-2015, 16:36
A USB 3.0 7,200 rpm drive will actually improve loading times and in some cases frame rate. When a slow hard drive runs out of buffer it causes loading lag, which in a game manifests as stuttering as the game has to wait for the mechanical hard disk to read the data and buffer it to the Xbox, which in turn sends the data to the GPU/CPU. The internal one only runs at 5,400 rpm

A 10,000 RPM drive will be an even better solution :)

TAGS Battfink
17-07-2015, 17:28
Im using a WD elements 4tb and it hasnt even had a hiccup, great purchase