PDA

View Full Version : T80 vs Controller

Moose_Cdn
14-05-2015, 23:32
I know that wheel is the cheapest for the PS4. However what’s your opinion for those that have this device compared to racing with the controller?

HarryHoodlum
15-05-2015, 00:03
I'm sort of in the same boat. I want the Fanatec Porsche 911 GT3 RS V2 real bad, but don't have $275 to blow on a wheel right now. I want the upgrade over the controller, but it can't live without force feedback.

This game really begs for a wheel though. Amazing physics.

IFordIRaptor
15-05-2015, 00:34
Hey guys. Buy the wheel. Hands down makes the game way better. Controller is very well playable. But a wheel puts the game to full potential. I bought the game and before it even came out I purchased my T80 and it arrived yesterday after a day of playing on the controller. I'm in love with it. So I say go for the buy. You will not regret it.

ApexDazza
15-05-2015, 02:01
Is it worth getting the T80 though. I have only ever used a G27 (so has force feedback) and I can't imagine using a wheel without the force feed back. But with no G27 support my sim setup is useless unless I buy a new wheel, but don't want to fork out for an rs300 yet.
Does the T80 offer ANY feedback referring to the in game physics?

Mr.Smoke
15-05-2015, 02:13
Try sourcing a T100. Its a step up from the 80 & has FFB, but isnt costly like the 300 or 500.

Im building my stand this weekend as mine is begging to get used.

BigDipper
15-05-2015, 07:15
Try sourcing a T100. Its a step up from the 80 & has FFB, but isnt costly like the 300 or 500.

Im building my stand this weekend as mine is begging to get used.

I hope to get my t300 today but yesterday was a holiday sow maybe I'm facing a delay.
But you said you're going to "build" a stand.... care to share you're build?

Pablo2008jedi
15-05-2015, 07:32
Having used both a Wheel with no FFB and one with (albeit several years ago) One with FFB is far superior as you can "feel" the grip of the car. But saying that, with a controller there is no feeling and I'm doing alright, not great. But I also don't have £100s to shell out...

Mr.Smoke
15-05-2015, 09:58
I hope to get my t300 today but yesterday was a holiday sow maybe I'm facing a delay.
But you said you're going to "build" a stand.... care to share you're build?

In my gaming room i have a lazyboy armchair as my seating. Due to the nature of it being a rocking chair, it poses a slight issue, it rocks. I will be shimming the back of the chair with a piece of lumber on either side, underneath to prevent rocking while depressing the pedals.

I dont have a table at a suitable height or width to pair up with my chair & hold my wheel at a comfortable height, so im going to build my own stand to hold the wheel & have it just where i need it.

If you like, once ive assembled it (this weekend hopefully) i can shoot you a few pictures of it.

gbm
15-05-2015, 11:47
The T80 is awesome for the money. Once it's calibrated correctly, and all the in-game options are set accordingly, it's great! You'll never go back to a controller again.

It's a shame the next jump up in wheels is like $200 more.

JohnWestTheBest
15-05-2015, 11:50
I'm sort of in the same boat. I want the Fanatec Porsche 911 GT3 RS V2 real bad, but don't have $275 to blow on a wheel right now. I want the upgrade over the controller, but it can't live without force feedback.

This game really begs for a wheel though. Amazing physics.

The 911 GT3 is pretty stuffed up right now, on PS4 anyway. Massive deadzone, clutch isn't working + a whole bunch of other problems. I know you said you aren't in the market for an expensive wheel, but just a heads up to probably steer clear until SMS issues a fix.

BigDipper
15-05-2015, 12:03
I will build something like this from wood.
Just need a seat and the freaking mailman to hurry up.

Mr.Smoke
15-05-2015, 12:37
The T80 is awesome for the money. Once it's calibrated correctly, and all the in-game options are set accordingly, it's great! You'll never go back to a controller again.

It's a shame the next jump up in wheels is like $200 more.

Not true. The T100 isnt even double the cost of the T80 & offers FFB.

bent_toe
15-05-2015, 12:37
T80 (has share and option buttons, T100 does not)
Matt
Playseat

For the price of the T300

Loving it, dont need FFB

HarryHoodlum
15-05-2015, 13:43
The 911 GT3 is pretty stuffed up right now, on PS4 anyway. Massive deadzone, clutch isn't working + a whole bunch of other problems. I know you said you aren't in the market for an expensive wheel, but just a heads up to probably steer clear until SMS issues a fix.

Awesome thanks for the heads up! I might pick up the t80 as a temporary thing, then maybe sell it or give it to my roommate when I feel I can upgrade. The thing is, I'm enjoying the force feedback on the DS4 a LOT! The slight vibration when your engine redlines, the jolt of shifting gears...it's all so nuanced and awesome. But it's really at the expense of "jerky" controls. I can't smoothly enter and exit turns with thumbsticks.

Dasidnii
15-05-2015, 13:50
I bought the T80, and I was very skeptical about it to due it not having force feedback. But surprisingly enough, it's actually really good! The only issue I have with it, is the peddles. They like to slide around a lot, especially when i'm driving an F1 car or something. Other than that, it's great!

HarryHoodlum
15-05-2015, 14:12
I bought the T80, and I was very skeptical about it to due it not having force feedback. But surprisingly enough, it's actually really good! The only issue I have with it, is the peddles. They like to slide around a lot, especially when i'm driving an F1 car or something. Other than that, it's great!

My desk setup would simply require me to remove the drawer and mount the wheel to the desk. Then I would put the pedal base up against the wall under the desk. Any idea if the pedals will hit the wall if the back of the base is butted up against it?

misterspockyall
15-05-2015, 14:34
if they do, maybe just a small wood block between the wall and the pedal base would work?

HarryHoodlum
15-05-2015, 14:39
if they do, maybe just a small wood block between the wall and the pedal base would work?

Yeah definitely what I was thinking. I'm not concerned with the small size of the pedals, as I don't wear shoes inside. I think I can figure something out pretty easily in terms of getting the pedals to stay still (might pick up some velcro for the bottom; this works on guitar pedals really well).

I'm gonna pick this up after work and give it a shot. If it really doesn't do it for me, I'll be honest about it (and wouldn't hesitate to return it if I need to). I think I can get used to not having FFB, at least until the holidays when I can upgrade to something much more expensive.

Dasidnii
15-05-2015, 14:50
I think they might a little bit. I would just put a towel in front of it or something to stop it from doing it.

ApexDazza
15-05-2015, 21:53
Ok so this might be a stupid question but would the T80 work with the G27 pedals and shifter?

madmax2069
15-05-2015, 21:59
Id rather spend a little more and buy a T100.

trancend
15-05-2015, 22:44
The T80 is complete garbage, I was at GameStop checking one out.

Super cheap construction, pedals will surely break, no motor whatsoever, just a spring loaded wheel, whatta joke for 100$. Even the TS 300 and 500 are on the cincy side given there 250 and 550 price tags.

The most ideal situation would be bjilding a PC anf getting a G27, but thats not an easy feat.

ApexDazza
15-05-2015, 22:46
On the Thrustmaster website the T100 is listed as not compatible with PS4 though?

trancend
15-05-2015, 22:50
Ive spent 2 entire days now tweaking the controller settings and my best setup is still a far cry from how good the steering is in DriveClub (yes I know the virtues of a simulator).

Im beginning to thing that the controls were purpously designed to suck to spur wheel sales.

FWIW, heres my settings:

Steering Sensitivity: 0
Steering Deadzone: O

Speed Sensitivity: 60
Controller Filtering Sensitivity: 90

Soft Steering Dampening: On

Skeme_DBT
15-05-2015, 23:13
I cant imagine playing a sim without a wheel.

lvj02
15-05-2015, 23:55
So is the t100 worth the purchase I have the dfgt and paid $150.00 for it when gt5 came out and is a really good wheel for the price and worked well for me with my dirt games and f1 games from codemasters t100 goes for what $170.00 so I guess the t100 is thrustmasters dfgt quality and price wise I'm hoping or is the t300 really the better buy.

madmax2069
16-05-2015, 02:42
On the Thrustmaster website the T100 is listed as not compatible with PS4 though?

The game on PS4 supports the T100 just fine

Official wheel list per platform.
http://www.projectcarsgame.com/beyond-reality.html

HarryHoodlum
16-05-2015, 18:51
So I got this last night and have logged several hours with it.

First the good news:

-The lack of FFB is not as disappointing as I expected. The resistance on this wheel ramps up as you turn, and it's actually very heavy (in a good way)

- The pedals also have a firm, smooth feel. Better than I expected.

-Getting things set up in the game was a cinch (I'll list my settings in a separate post).

-Having almost full control over the PS4 is really nice

-The desk clamp is more than sufficient

The bad news:

- The shifters are WAY too noisy. Sounds like a woodpecker is in my bedroom. I've already considered opening it up to see if I can dampen the sound somehow. I usually play with a headset so all you can hear coming from my room is clicking.

-The pedal base is an absolute joke. You almost have no choice but to use left foot breaking because if you push either pedal with only one foot, you will flip the base over, head over heels. I have the pedal base butted up against a wall so pushing the brake with one foot is not an option. I'm going to attach some industrial Velcro to the bottom so it snags on my carpet. I can't imagine this will work out at all on a hardwood floor. I actailly prefer using two feet, so this has been almost a non-issue for me, but fully expect to have to mod this base in some way to make it work.

-The red light is obnoxiously bright. Put a black sticker over it and it's fine now.

In the end, this has improved my already good experience with the game 10x. It's soooooo much more fun this way once you get used to it. Worth every penny of $99, but don't expect to get more than $99 of equipment. It's a great upgrade over a thumb stick, period.

bent_toe
16-05-2015, 19:20
Glad you like it, i got the T80 so i could get the playseat challenge and the playseat matt.
Now THATS x10 more fun and it holds the pedalbase firmly.

Mr.Smoke
16-05-2015, 21:24
I built my stand for my T100 and secured the pedals to the base using plywood bolted to the base & then screwed it into the base of the stand. Pedals are rock solid & not going anywhere!

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd435/MrSmoke420/DSC_0053.jpg (http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/MrSmoke420/media/DSC_0053.jpg.html)

misterspockyall
16-05-2015, 21:42
Thanks to some of you folks I picked up my T80 today. Hope to play tonight and post my impressions!

HarryHoodlum
16-05-2015, 22:33
Pretty much worked out perfectly for me. Always game at a desk so it was just a matter of clamping it down.

http://i.imgur.com/xVKXRs5.png

HarryHoodlum
17-05-2015, 00:17
Bought some of this
http://i.imgur.com/OmsRMiE.png

Pulled off all of the useless rubber feet and stuck strips of the clingy side of the Velcro onto the bottom of the base. Can barely get it off my carpet with two hands.
http://i.imgur.com/UX70nlY.png

misterspockyall
17-05-2015, 14:26
Just drove with my T80 for the first time. First time using a wheel on any serious game actually. Night and day. I imagine that FFB wheels are even more amazing, but for me this just went from pretending to drive a sim with the DS4 to actually feeling like I'm driving. I realize that this is amongst the cheapest of wheel options, but for the money, my enjoyment level just went through the roof. I can now drive intuitively. With the DS4, I couldn't finish a lap at Oulton in Clio Cup without sliding off course. First round out with the T80 and I qualified 1st (40% AI- weak I know, but all my previous experience was Forza 4).

Folks can have a good time with a controller, I did on wider/grippier tracks. But if you have the money but don't want to spend a ton on a more realistic wheel, the T80 will be a drastic step up from a controller and facilitate shaving time off your laps. At the very least it will make the whole steering process more enjoyable.

Thanks again to all who posted their findings. Now I just need to choose between the Home Depot adjustable table or a Playseat Challenge.

gbm
17-05-2015, 17:27
Just drove with my T80 for the first time. First time using a wheel on any serious game actually. Night and day. I imagine that FFB wheels are even more amazing, but for me this just went from pretending to drive a sim with the DS4 to actually feeling like I'm driving. I realize that this is amongst the cheapest of wheel options, but for the money, my enjoyment level just went through the roof. I can now drive intuitively. With the DS4, I couldn't finish a lap at Oulton in Clio Cup without sliding off course. First round out with the T80 and I qualified 1st (40% AI- weak I know, but all my previous experience was Forza 4).

Folks can have a good time with a controller, I did on wider/grippier tracks. But if you have the money but don't want to spend a ton on a more realistic wheel, the T80 will be a drastic step up from a controller and facilitate shaving time off your laps. At the very least it will make the whole steering process more enjoyable.

Thanks again to all who posted their findings. Now I just need to choose between the Home Depot adjustable table or a Playseat Challenge.

You should try out these setting for your T80, works great for me:

(*all 25's can be pushed to 30 if you like)

Steering dead zone: 0
Steering Sensitivity: 25

Throttle dead zone: 0
Throttle Sensitivity: 25

Brake dead zone: 0
Brake Sensitivity: 25

Clutch dead zone: 0
Clutch Sensitivity: N/A

Speed Sensitivity: 45
Controller Filtering: 45

Force Feedback: 100
Advanced: Off

bent_toe
17-05-2015, 19:03
Pretty much worked out perfectly for me. Always game at a desk so it was just a matter of clamping it down.

http://i.imgur.com/xVKXRs5.png

Move your seat closer (map the seat buttons) and use fov 95..... Perfect setup if you ask me. The feel of speed is awesome on fov 95. Above it will make the cockpit look weird though.
Oh and put some tape over the red lamp.

Zenzic
17-05-2015, 19:12
That screen doesn't look anywhere near large enough to use a field of view of 95 really, and since moving the seat is not represented by absolute numbers in the menu it's hit or miss. :) Only one way to do this properly, HarryHoodlum: http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/index.php?m=1. Having your field of view set to the right value for your setup makes a huge difference in terms of speed and playability.

HarryHoodlum
17-05-2015, 20:54
I'll take a look into it. I've actually been enjoying the hell out of the hood view, but also love the immersion of the cockpit.

misterspockyall
18-05-2015, 13:20
Thanks, I'll give it a look

HarryHoodlum
18-05-2015, 14:07
I changed the steering deadzone from 0 to 5 the other day. Makes it MUCH easier to keep the car in a straight line. The T80 is surprisingly responsive, so that tiny little bit of motion where there is no resistance on the wheel was causing me to constantly have to correct my steering to go in a straight line. Changed the deadzone to 5 and it's absolutely perfect. Also, I have my steering sensitivity at 90 and it feels amazing, just a heads up to anyone afraid to go that high.

Pablo2008jedi
18-05-2015, 14:15
hmmm interesting to hear the feedback (not a pun :D ) and the non-FFB wheel is looking like it could be a good option for those on a restrictive wallet :P

Mr.Smoke
18-05-2015, 15:27
I changed the steering deadzone from 0 to 5 the other day. Makes it MUCH easier to keep the car in a straight line. The T80 is surprisingly responsive, so that tiny little bit of motion where there is no resistance on the wheel was causing me to constantly have to correct my steering to go in a straight line. Changed the deadzone to 5 and it's absolutely perfect. Also, I have my steering sensitivity at 90 and it feels amazing, just a heads up to anyone afraid to go that high.

Good to know. I need to play around with my wheel settings a bit still. Will try out those settings & see how i like it.

hmmm interesting to hear the feedback (not a pun :D ) and the non-FFB wheel is looking like it could be a good option for those on a restrictive wallet :P

Agreed, but honestly i think spending just a little bit more on the T100 & getting FFB makes much more sense.

HarryHoodlum
18-05-2015, 15:45
Yeah I would have paid the extra $50 for FFB but the t100 doesn't appear to be available anywhere, and probably never was available in the US. If they get the bugs sorted out with some of the Fanatec wheels I will be eyeing those up in the future. For now, I'm actually thrilled at how big of an upgrade this is over a gamepad for $99. I'm basically a full-on addict with this game, and I'm getting better every day.

Mr. Smoke I added you on PSN. If anyone else in NA is into clean racing (we all make mistakes sometimes), add me!

gbm
18-05-2015, 15:45

I'll check out the deadzone setting later, sounds good.

But why so high on the steering sensitivity? (90?)

HarryHoodlum
18-05-2015, 15:47
No idea why I put the sensitivity so high, but it's working brilliantly. Steering is super accurate and I can't find anything wrong with it.

gbm
18-05-2015, 15:51
No idea why I put the sensitivity so high, but it's working brilliantly. Steering is super accurate and I can't find anything wrong with it.

Ok, I'll give it a look.

It's just that the "sensitivity" tab is to allow more/less raw input into the game. I would think that a 90 setting would buff the hell out of the input and make it near impossible to get the wheel to respond at all.

I'll def check it out though.

DarC
18-05-2015, 16:35
What are you guys using when it comes to steering lock when calibrating the wheel?

i know 240 is where it should be at but i tried 320 and the cars seem to feel alot better. or am i going mental?

Mr.Smoke
18-05-2015, 16:35
Yeah I would have paid the extra $50 for FFB but the t100 doesn't appear to be available anywhere, and probably never was available in the US. If they get the bugs sorted out with some of the Fanatec wheels I will be eyeing those up in the future. For now, I'm actually thrilled at how big of an upgrade this is over a gamepad for $99. I'm basically a full-on addict with this game, and I'm getting better every day.

Mr. Smoke I added you on PSN. If anyone else in NA is into clean racing (we all make mistakes sometimes), add me!

I ordered my T100 from a retailer out of New York state called B&H. They are offered in the US, i can assure you that. Likely not as popular anymore though since its not officially a PS4 wheel.

Saw that you added me. I accepted & look forward to racing with you!

HarryHoodlum
18-05-2015, 16:40
I ordered my T100 from a retailer out of New York state called B&H. They are offered in the US, i can assure you that. Likely not as popular anymore though since its not officially a PS4 wheel.

Saw that you added me. I accepted & look forward to racing with you!

Ah that's right, B&H has it. I used to live 5 blocks away from there in NYC.

And yeah, same here. I'm a nights/weekend player and I have a mic so invite me whenever! Haven't been playing much of anything else since this came out.

Mr.Smoke
18-05-2015, 16:53
Ah that's right, B&H has it. I used to live 5 blocks away from there in NYC.

And yeah, same here. I'm a nights/weekend player and I have a mic so invite me whenever! Haven't been playing much of anything else since this came out.

You still on the East coast? Im in EST close to Toronto. Also usually on in the evenings around 9EST after my kids go to bed. Have a mic as well.

HarryHoodlum
18-05-2015, 17:03
You still on the East coast? Im in EST close to Toronto. Also usually on in the evenings around 9EST after my kids go to bed. Have a mic as well.

Yes sir I'm in New York and also usually come on between 9-10 on days that I don't have band practice or anything else. See you on the track then!

BORIStheBLADE1
18-05-2015, 19:40
New guy here and just grabbed a T80 myself. I couldnt find a T100 locally so just bought the T80 to test. For me it does the job fine and I like it. Im a lot smoother with this compared to using the DS4.

ForestGrump
19-05-2015, 03:33
Just a thought, not doing too bad with a DS4 atm, just those minor adjustments are a bit jerky.
Can't bring myself to buying a wheel setup, sooo has anyone tried thumbstick extenders, just wondered if the longer thumbstick would make things smoother....

HarryHoodlum
19-05-2015, 04:06
It might. I had the faulty first wave of DS4s where the grip peeled off completely. Replaced them with the taller, gripper, more durable xbox one sticks. They are made from the same mold it looks like so it's a perfect 1:1 fit. Only good thing about the xbone is those sticks. It can give you a bit more range with the steering. Helps with FPS as well.

http://i.imgur.com/yAEtfs5.png

http://i.imgur.com/3oWcH17.png

Islandlad77
23-05-2015, 14:46
I bought a second hand fanatec gt3rs for £130.00 (11 months old including pedals and stand and delivery) and the feel and adjustments the wheel offers is awesome. If you can find a trustworthy seller then I'd go second hand and get a gent quality wheel instead of new and cheap.

Diablo944
24-05-2015, 06:36
This game has cost me a fortune, but i love it (with a few reservations, but generally awesome gameplay).
So, as a way to give something back. I really struggled with the twitchyness of the the gamepads analog controls. Probably more me than the game, but i was definitely spending way too long correcting my line with the joypad as my weapon of choice. Worse still when you watch a replay and see the car jinking around. So i bought a t80, figuring the cost of a t300 was insanely expensive (and hating that sony killed my logitech force feedback wheel on the ps4 compatibility front so more resentful of spending too much).

T80 gave an Instant change and is twenty times better than a gamepad. I dont think it made me play much better, but it does make the game feel and play so much nicer. Curves were now an option, rather than lots of twitches through a bend. I was surprised how well it performed considering how small the wheel feels. The paddles are a bit clicky, made worse by the hollow casing design surrounding the mechanism, but the wheel works well enough, it had limited rotation, but that said ot was enough for the task. The buttons set into the wheel rim can be a bit problematic, two of them were easily pushed by accident when in the throws of a frantic session, but generally the wheel does well. The led is ( as others have said) ridiculously bright, mine was plugged with white tac as it was just way too bright. The pedals are too lightweight, i had to fasten them to a piece of hardboard to keep them in place, otherwise they went walkabout all too easily. Was it worth the money? Yes, definitely, if you are a casual racer and have to keep it cheap and really want a wheel, then the t80 is viable. It even does an ok job of the resistance in its use of the 'bungee' resistance.
All that said, i sold it on less than a week later. I bit the bullet and went for a t300. The build quality of the two is worlds apart. The t300 wheel alone is a heavy beast, with its extra size and better shifters it is a different animal altogether (and so it should be for the price). I would say though, that despite the t300 being better in almost every way, it does need a lot of time to be spent setting things up with project cars to get the best from it. The t80 in comparison is simplicity itself and is by far the easy option. The only irony being that i actually preferred the pedals of the t80 to the 300, thoigh neither are particularly awe inspiring, they do work though.

For anyone not willing to hunt down a second hand ffb unit, or intent on keeping the price of a new wheel down? The t80 is good enough.

One last thing, the guy i sold it to didnt want to use the pedals, he wanted to just use the wheel alone. For anyone thinking thats an option, bear in mind that there is no way to have a graduated throttle or brake when using he wheel without pedals, whatever you choose as throttle and brake in that scenario would be all or nothing.