PDA

View Full Version : From a Forza, DIRT, and Gran Turismo Fan...here's my opinion...

ComposerRyan
15-05-2015, 00:55
I know there's been a lot of "opinion posts" out here since the game's release and I've been casually keeping track of the game for a while now. When I heard it was releasing this May, I couldn't believe it and after experiencing it myself, I can see why many of you guys love this game! :)

I have been a huge fan of Forza Motorsport but always felt it lacked so many features. Sure, Project Cars doesn't have all of the cars that Forza does, but it sure does make up for it with:

1) Tons of tracks
2) Night Racing
3) Weather Effects
4) TONS of customization
5) Ability to race any car from the onset, which I love!

Plus I did some online races last night and today and I'm hooked.

So, from a long fan of racing games, great job to the team behind Project CARS and I really looking forward to what you have in store for DLC and the sequel! (There will be a sequel, right?! :) )

yusupov
15-05-2015, 01:28
nice to see a forza/GT fan who 'gets it'. if theres one thing ive learned about those 2 titles from the 'crossover appeal' sims (assetto corsa & pCARS) its that so many ppl seem to play those games just to grind XP & collect cars. then they get a sim that lets them do whatever they want & theyre lost...:/

Mr.Smoke
15-05-2015, 02:10
Ive always been a GT fan as well. I certainly like this approach much better though. Not sure if i could go back to a racing game requiring grinding now.

JDM4LYF
15-05-2015, 22:32
Honestly I do agree with some of your points, but I also have some concerns. I have been a huge fan of the Forza series, and while I understand that the simulation style of this game is meant to be different than those games, as I began playing Project Cars I found myself wondering what exactly I am working towards. As the name suggests, this seems like a game which is working towards encompassing most or all aspects of motor-sports involving cars, and as a fan of import cars and drift racing, I know that there is a huge difference between a car that is fully modified and a car that is built for a specific purpose. I honestly believe that they need to incorporate a system in which cars can be upgraded with specific parts such as turbo chargers, race headers, improved cam shafts, etc. Also, aesthetic customization of wheels, bumpers, ride height, etc. in Forza seemed to bring the community together more, as everyone was sharing their custom rides and paint jobs with one another. I know that this suggests a currency system and the ability to maybe buy cars, but I feel like giving me everything all at once leaves me wondering what exactly I am trying to achieve, because I know I am not good enough to make it anywhere near the top of the leaderboards. Anyways, this is just my honest opinion and I appreciate any feedback on these points. Thanks guys. :cool:

SimplyDaveC
15-05-2015, 23:06
Yea I'm a big GT fan but Project Cars makes up for it in there features... every track has rain and night effects, that sun glare is nice and brutal at the same time... The AI is awesome. I love it doesn't have 1000 cars but I Platinum GT6 with 150 cars in my garage, so having the right cars matters

BSDShoes
15-05-2015, 23:29
Spent years playing rFactor, Race 07 and GTR 2 all of which has most of those mentioned features, night racing is always fun and sometimes a challenge. One of the first things I did when I threw PCARS into the PS4 was fire up practice on California highway with a BAC Mono at 22:00, boy that was hard.

IrideGravity
16-05-2015, 00:28
"I found myself wondering what exactly I am working towards. "

Are you not trying to improve your skills and get a little bit faster all the time? If not, sims probably are not for you.

"As the name suggests, this seems like a game which is working towards encompassing most or all aspects of motor-sports involving cars, and as a fan of import cars and drift racing, I know that there is a huge difference between a car that is fully modified and a car that is built for a specific purpose. "

Don't get it twisted. This is not a celebration or display like gran turismo. It is a racers game. Not a virtual tinker toy for you to create your own beast. There are plenty of beasts you don't know how to tame already. You can drive a street car, or a modded street car. Gt3-4-&5. Or flat out race cars.

"I honestly believe that they need to incorporate a system in which cars can be upgraded with specific parts such as turbo chargers, race headers, improved cam shafts, etc. Also, aesthetic customization of wheels, bumpers, ride height, etc. in Forza seemed to bring the community together more, as everyone was sharing their custom rides and paint jobs with one another."

Please no. Iracing and this game give you keys to well setup cars that can be tuned to your liking like in real life. Not completely remade into something that is no longer competitive in its class. People were able to take advantage of torque curves on Gran Turismo and you could not even come close to the cars that had the best gear ratio setups. Once you open up the tuning box, your never going to keep pace with the dark art that is virtual tuning without some serious dedication. It's a very secretive thing and people don't go out and share awesome tunes, because there going to beat you with it instead. The limited tuning ensures every racer is competing on a level playing field. Pick a car and master it, then race it.

" I know that this suggests a currency system and the ability to maybe buy cars, but I feel like giving me everything all at once leaves me wondering what exactly I am trying to achieve, because I know I am not good enough to make it anywhere near the top of the leaderboards. "

You should start by finding a car you can handle that pushes your limits. Then keep driving/racing it until it doesn't challenge you anymore. Then get a faster car and master it too. So on an so on til you reach the fastest car you can drive well, then compete where your comfort zone is.
Your goal should be keeping up in whatever class of car you choose. If it means driving a slow road car, those races are some of the tightest and funnest out there if raced in the right courses.

Anyways, this is just my honest opinion and I appreciate any feedback on these points. Thanks guys. :cool:[/QUOTE]

JDM4LYF
16-05-2015, 04:31
Well said Iridegravity. I appreciate the in-depth response. I suppose I was looking for a game to compete with the Xbox exclusive Forza series, and it is just hard for me to adapt to this game style. Still though, through the career mode I feel like besides getting new contracts, winning races does not really allow me to do anything I couldnt do in a created race. Anyways, I will continue playing and see if my views change over time. Thanks again.

IrideGravity
17-05-2015, 23:20
Well said Iridegravity. I appreciate the in-depth response. I suppose I was looking for a game to compete with the Xbox exclusive Forza series, and it is just hard for me to adapt to this game style. Still though, through the career mode I feel like besides getting new contracts, winning races does not really allow me to do anything I couldnt do in a created race. Anyways, I will continue playing and see if my views change over time. Thanks again.

No prob. If your are a ds4 user, definitely have a look at some of the ds4 setting changes people are using, because they are critical for usability. Tough to drive without changing the settings pretty drastically.

MrStef85
18-05-2015, 00:26
I know there's been a lot of "opinion posts" out here since the game's release and I've been casually keeping track of the game for a while now. When I heard it was releasing this May, I couldn't believe it and after experiencing it myself, I can see why many of you guys love this game! :)

I have been a huge fan of Forza Motorsport but always felt it lacked so many features. Sure, Project Cars doesn't have all of the cars that Forza does, but it sure does make up for it with:

1) Tons of tracks
2) Night Racing
3) Weather Effects
4) TONS of customization
5) Ability to race any car from the onset, which I love!

Plus I did some online races last night and today and I'm hooked.

So, from a long fan of racing games, great job to the team behind Project CARS and I really looking forward to what you have in store for DLC and the sequel! (There will be a sequel, right?! :) )

Same here! Enjoy!

KK78
18-05-2015, 09:52
I have played a lot of Forza 5, Forza Horizon 2 and mainly Driveclub over the last 6-12 months and Project Cars is a welcome addition and is offering a ton of content. I've done about 35 hours so far and it's the perfect opposite to Driveclub which is more a pick up and play fun fest (still very challenging for those who think it's easy-to be very fast takes a lot of skill) so I have the perfect combination now.

gbm
18-05-2015, 11:43
Seems like today's generation of kiddies who "want something for doing something" don't really know how to play a game that JUST LET'S THEM PLAY!

....as a first grade school teacher myself, I'm very, very, very familiar with kids saying, "I did it Mr. M, what do I get?"

or my other favorite, "I'm finished, what can I do now?"

(my reply: "you get to wait first." :))

Anyway, my point is, collecting trophies and gaining XP and all that other nonsense is just a way to dangle a carrot.....zip it and play!

MrStef85
18-05-2015, 12:24
Seems like today's generation of kiddies who "want something for doing something" don't really know how to play a game that JUST LET'S THEM PLAY!

....as a first grade school teacher myself, I'm very, very, very familiar with kids saying, "I did it Mr. M, what do I get?"

or my other favorite, "I'm finished, what can I do now?"

(my reply: "you get to wait first." :))

Anyway, my point is, collecting trophies and gaining XP and all that other nonsense is just a way to dangle a carrot.....zip it and play!

:encouragement: