PDA

View Full Version : Does lap time leader board show even those people who used all assists on?

Yugo45
15-05-2015, 03:25
I don't know if there is already tread about this but I am wondering when looking at leader boards and seeing those fast lap times in time trials and community events , what settings did these people use same as mine or did they use all assists on or some of them on.I race with all assists of so are times I am seeing from people who use same settings as mine or is everybody's time on there even those people who used all assists? If that is like that than there is no point in trying to get fastest lap times if you are going against people who use all assists on in the game.

NVI0U5
15-05-2015, 03:38
The ingame one doesnt but the "other" one does which is linked to steam pc users

AshenShugar
15-05-2015, 14:35
Assists tbh slow you down. The alien times are just damn good drivers.

Yugo45
15-05-2015, 15:42
I want to turn my abs on maybe driving line but I don't want to at the same time because that is not real racing. I am always 2 sec slower than best lap times on almost all racing tracks, could this be the case that with abs and racing lines these people are getting 2 sec on me or maybe they are better drivers than me. I play on PS4 trying to save some money to buy a gaming PC. It would be nice if developers would patch this up and had 2 leaderboards one that uses assists and one that uses no assists. I know some assists can slow you down like traction control but some assists can really help you get that fast time on the track.

David Semperger
15-05-2015, 20:34
Assists tbh slow you down. The alien times are just damn good drivers.

That entirely depends on your skill level and to some degree on the car you're driving. ABS can be a huge boon with most cars, but the rest will also help the vast majority of drivers out there. On the absolute top? Yeah, there the assists will probably hold you back, but not by more than a couple of tenths.

Iwanchek
15-05-2015, 20:46
Practice OP makes u better... with clio uve to be smooth and hit the throttle early. me as ell have problems with clio, im around 52 if im not wrong, still need to be more smooth. for example with mercedes gt3 i did 30th at the end, could be better if i did some set up on my car, but still solid performance.

so, practice, try different racing lines, and drive withooput tc and you can stability control leave ON and locking tyres ON, everything turn OFF and practice....

jebote jugo45 :D

wearymick
16-05-2015, 13:04
Some of the road cars are almost undriveable without assists - the Gumpert and the V8 Atom for example, at least in their base tune. The Clio is slower with assists on, and they aren't called for by it's general driveability. If people are finding it hard to control a car, or are just slower without them, people will use them. It's pretty much that simple.

Roger Prynne
16-05-2015, 14:11
The secret is to practice, practice and practice and practice some more.
You cant expect to just jump into any car at any track and expect to get best lap times.
Then you move onto the setups and adjust a few things one or two at a time to try and improve your times.
High elevation tracks will reduce power so you have to compensate with setup changes.
Do at least 2 or 3 laps to get all the temps (oil/water/tires) at optimum temps.

Just like real life.

Rift Racer
18-05-2015, 17:07
Some of the road cars are almost undriveable without assists - the Gumpert and the V8 Atom for example, at least in their base tune. The Clio is slower with assists on, and they aren't called for by it's general driveability. If people are finding it hard to control a car, or are just slower without them, people will use them. It's pretty much that simple.

I love the V8 atom with no assists even at base tune. Not tried the Gumpert, though from what you say, it sounds like it'll be a blast too.

Psychomatrix
19-05-2015, 11:20
on one hand it seems a bit unfair that driver with automatic and all ads are in front of people who take the real thrill. But for example GT3 Cars use in Reality ABS ,ASR and Traction control. I think if you set the ads to real is okay. But automatic drivers never should be in front of a guy who shifts by hes own

David Semperger
19-05-2015, 11:31
But automatic drivers never should be in front of a guy who shifts by hes own

With some cars it's important to short shift out of slower corners if you don't want your rear wheels to lose traction (traction control isn't a magic bullet, it won't save you all the time). In situations like this you really want manual shifting. So while automatic shifting is workable with some cars, it will cause you to lose time with others.

FA RACING 01
19-05-2015, 11:35
on one hand it seems a bit unfair that driver with automatic and all ads are in front of people who take the real thrill. But for example GT3 Cars use in Reality ABS ,ASR and Traction control. I think if you set the ads to real is okay. But automatic drivers never should be in front of a guy who shifts by hes own

Agreed, but shifting manually on average is faster than automatic shifting [without saying obviously depending on car, skill level etc]. Perhaps it's the "manual driver" that's behind the "automatic driver" and not the "automatic driver" that's in front of the "manual driver" - if you understand what I mean.

Shnoo
19-05-2015, 13:51

Why do you think this?
This will happen in the real world too but at the Top end assists like tc will definatly slow you down by a lot. Not only a few tenth.

If you only let the Automatic shift and don't up/downshift yourself it will be slower in almost every car too. The reason for that is that an Auto gearbox doesn't know that there is a corner coming and you can stay inside your gear without shifting up and not hitting the limiter then just let the car slow down without braking and then smash it again after the corner. Another problem is that Auto gearboxes just downshift normaly way to late and you can lose a lot of power on corner exit just because you are slightly of the power band. These problems get bigger on faster laptimes.
It even sometimes anyoes you if you are normaly driving manual. I had an ancle surgery about 2 month ago and was not able do play AC with my steering wheel. So i decided to just play with keyboard and mouse with an automatic gearbox. And the behavior of the gearbox just felt retarded.

QPRLad
21-05-2015, 08:24
Maybe some Manual Shifters are kidding themselves and trying to run before they can walk?
I don't think having the racing line on will slow you down, as long as you can pick your own breaking points on certain corners.

Itothans
22-05-2015, 03:12
This page will show you assists that have been used http://cars-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php

JessicaWalter
22-05-2015, 03:26
man, i really wish there was something like that for console times. im using the bmw 320 to learn the tracks and the leaderboard is a bunch of pagani pages.

David Semperger
22-05-2015, 10:32
This page will show you assists that have been used http://cars-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php

Not really. The assists displayed there often don't reflect what the driver actually used. More specifically if you use real assists (as in the ones available and used in the real car) it will show that all assists were used, even the ones that aren't available in the real car and even if the driver disabled them (with real assists you can toggle them on and off while driving, just like in the real car).

man, i really wish there was something like that for console times. im using the bmw 320 to learn the tracks and the leaderboard is a bunch of pagani pages.

On the PC you can filter the lap times so that you only see the ones from your selected car, both on the leaderboards in-game and when adding ghosts. Is that option not available on the consoles? I haven't seen that part of the UI yet in videos.

FA RACING 01
23-05-2015, 07:46

+1. Let's hope for the future.

SpaceMachine
24-05-2015, 18:43

This.

TrevorAustin
24-05-2015, 18:50
I want to turn my abs on maybe driving line but I don't want to at the same time because that is not real racing. I am always 2 sec slower than best lap times on almost all racing tracks, could this be the case that with abs and racing lines these people are getting 2 sec on me or maybe they are better drivers than me. I play on PS4 trying to save some money to buy a gaming PC. It would be nice if developers would patch this up and had 2 leaderboards one that uses assists and one that uses no assists. I know some assists can slow you down like traction control but some assists can really help you get that fast time on the track.

Abs is real racing.

Itothans
27-05-2015, 23:15
Not really. The assists displayed there often don't reflect what the driver actually used. More specifically if you use real assists (as in the ones available and used in the real car) it will show that all assists were used, even the ones that aren't available in the real car and even if the driver disabled them (with real assists you can toggle them on and off while driving, just like in the real car).

Ah ok, at least it's clear when no assists were used which is good if you wanna compare your time with no assists used to other people.

jackd94
18-06-2015, 20:07
That entirely depends on your skill level and to some degree on the car you're driving. ABS can be a huge boon with most cars, but the rest will also help the vast majority of drivers out there. On the absolute top? Yeah, there the assists will probably hold you back, but not by more than a couple of tenths.

Couldn't agree more! As someone has post quite a few top 20 times in formula a. I am about 6tenths or more slower with abs off and traction control off.

David Semperger
19-06-2015, 10:56
Couldn't agree more! As someone has post quite a few top 20 times in formula a. I am about 6tenths or more slower with abs off and traction control off.

Since I wrote my previous post I've been using all assists quite extensively and I'm not sure anymore that they make you any slower even when you're at the limit. Previously I felt that traction control can hinder your corner exit speeds ever so slightly, maybe losing you 2-3 tenths per lap, but since then I've found that the setting for it in the car setup gives you a wide enough range and you can make it as aggressive as you want. More generally, to make the most of assists you may need to change your setup in more than one way.

Tomcul
11-07-2015, 15:30
Assists in this game make a big difference.. In real life assists may slow you but the ones in this game seem to be high end race systems. It can turn the turbo'd cars of the 80s into modern handling cars no worry about overboost or lock ups and not even a weight penalty for the extra weight these systems would add to classic cars..
Personally use no assists even on cars that should have them, doesn't make me faster but I feel more involved..

EMW Simmo
12-07-2015, 11:53
:confused:Assists on or off....1st is 1st/last is last simple fact, your going to use any little advantage when and wherever you can, n if that means abs,tc,auto,stability etc etc then your going to use it.
But to simply think that because you use no assists is the only reason you are being beaten, or deserve somekind of bonus points is just pure ignorance on the drivers behalf...fast is fast n slow is slow, if there was no assists at all or only assists this wouldnt change.
So if an assist is the difference between 1st or 2nd who wouldnt use it lol..
Drive with what you like on or off but dont use it as an excuse.

CopperySinger5
23-07-2015, 17:39
At some point the realization factor kicks in and says "wait a minute, anything dealing with these assists is only going to slow me down" but on the other hand if lacking experience, the assists will make true driving skill seem better than what it really is.

NeonFlux
24-07-2015, 08:34
At some point the realization factor kicks in and says "wait a minute, anything dealing with these assists is only going to slow me down" but on the other hand if lacking experience, the assists will make true driving skill seem better than what it really is.

Traction control was used in F1 from 2001 to 2007 so try telling that to those who won championships during that time lol

RTA nOsKiLlS
24-07-2015, 09:20

You keep telling yourself that, lol.

Would it be possible to see a video of your amazing driving without assists?

iKasbian
24-07-2015, 10:05
You keep telling yourself that, lol.

Would it be possible to see a video of your amazing driving without assists?

Pfftt, these people blaming assists for top times are deluded OR using it for their failings..

I've not been using assists for many years (fm - gt's) but for the last digital time attack I turned them on, I'm still best part of a second behind the top guys!
The only thing that will make you fast is SKILL, assists only help you iron out some of your creases. (< quite pleased with that analogy) :cool:

Joni Varis
24-07-2015, 10:21
It depends on car aswell. While tc isnt making huge difference with most cars, stability control and abs are different story. You can use really unstable & but fast setup and the tame it with aids. Example with Formula A there is no way to do even close to same laptimes with aids off.

Aids in this game is nothing like real life counterparts, but far more effective. Devs themself stated that ABS is too effective in the game, i think they said its because high tickrate of the physicks, so there isnt much they could do about it.

TrevorAustin
24-07-2015, 10:25

Although it isn't accurate, as if you use real assists, it shows you using assists that aren't even on the car, so is pretty misleading.

choupolo
24-07-2015, 10:32
Like I said before, I'd love to see what kind of incredible times these no assist guys would do if they could just bring themselves to use assists just once. :D

Joni Varis
24-07-2015, 10:47
Well i throw you counter question. How come most of the leaderboard top 20 are filled with times done with assist on if those doesnt make you faster?

I can answer to that, because they are able to be faster with assist than without ;)

choupolo
24-07-2015, 10:55
If there's anyone who could be fastest without assists it'd be you Joni! :D

I just don't like the assertion that those top times are done without skill just because assists were on. Do you think it would be easy for you to beat them with assist on yourself? I say have a go!

Joni Varis
24-07-2015, 11:04
Yeah it is not that simple that enabling assist suddenly makes you fast, but its simple fact on this game that those does make you faster. You can/need to use very different setup aswell etc.

But i guess im just purist & want to control car myself, not having computer to hide my mistakes.

TrevorAustin
24-07-2015, 11:07
Well i throw you counter question. How come most of the leaderboard top 20 are filled with times done with assist on if those doesnt make you faster?

I can answer to that, because they are able to be faster with assist than without ;)

Because maybe they aren't, they are probably set to real, which misrepresents what assists are turned on.

EMW Simmo
25-07-2015, 13:12
Because maybe they aren't, they are probably set to real, which misrepresents what assists are turned on.

There is no difference in time between assissts on/off, just tuning and time spent finding the optimum setup for that car/track...
No doubt its easier to jump in a car and set a fast time with assissts on compared too off, but actually in the long run you will be quicker with assissts off, just a matter of time which some people aren't prepared to spend getting used to the car and setup.
Afterall most players just want to pick up n play, not spend hours/days tuning like the pure enthusiast will..:cool:

o2R Dsquared 07
25-07-2015, 22:01

Turn on the assists and see where you stand. Those people you're unable to beat while you also use assists, you won't be able to beat when they and you don't use any assists.

DEDDGUY3
27-07-2015, 03:43
pcars is not a true sim, as there is no seat of the pants feel, so i use traction assist to delay acceleration out of corners to compensate.

ibby
27-07-2015, 11:09
pcars is not a true sim, as there is no seat of the pants feel, so i use traction assist to delay acceleration out of corners to compensate.

Seat of pants is not transmitted through the wheel like in real life.
But if you need it there's a SoP ( yes, that's seat of pants ) FFB effect you can enable. I trust you've looked at the FFB options in the car setup yet ? ;)

PTG Ty1er Ward
27-07-2015, 15:45
Turn on the assists and see where you stand. Those people you're unable to beat while you also use assists, you won't be able to beat when they and you don't use any assists.

I assuming you know you're saying this to someone with nearly 2 dozen #1 times using zero assists?

PTG Ty1er Ward
27-07-2015, 15:47

This one is much better and sortable/searchable:

http://pcars.13ms.de/

It only updates every 24 hours however (which is fine IMHO) and not instantly like the steam version.

TrevorAustin
27-07-2015, 15:54
There is no difference in time between assissts on/off, just tuning and time spent finding the optimum setup for that car/track...
No doubt its easier to jump in a car and set a fast time with assissts on compared too off, but actually in the long run you will be quicker with assissts off, just a matter of time which some people aren't prepared to spend getting used to the car and setup.
Afterall most players just want to pick up n play, not spend hours/days tuning like the pure enthusiast will..:cool:

Not quite sure why you quoted me there, your answer bears no relation to my post:) however as you've said it, how do you know you will be faster without assists than with, if that's just your experience, that is hardly representative, and if it's just the accepted wisdom, like CPUs make no difference to how games run, then I don't agree, the only way to prove this would be to get the top guys to play and practice equally between assisted and non assisted driving, and that will never happen.

For the average driver, most are without doubt quicker with assists.

TrevorAustin
27-07-2015, 15:54
I assuming you know you're saying this to someone with nearly 2 dozen #1 times using zero assists?

Lol, I am guessing not:)

o2R Dsquared 07
27-07-2015, 21:55

I read these forums, yes. I don't assume you know that what you've just said is an irrelavance to my point, otherwise you'd have not said it.

PTG Ty1er Ward
27-07-2015, 22:10
I read these forums, yes. I don't assume you know that what you've just said is an irrelavance to my point, otherwise you'd have not said it.

I'm misunderstanding your point then, my apologies

EMW Simmo
27-07-2015, 23:50
Not really interested, fast is fast, assists or not, sick of the excuses...if only i had a 1 for everytime i heard this story:cool:

PTG Ty1er Ward
28-07-2015, 01:20
I don't know if there is already tread about this but I am wondering when looking at leader boards and seeing those fast lap times in time trials and community events , what settings did these people use same as mine or did they use all assists on or some of them on.I race with all assists of so are times I am seeing from people who use same settings as mine or is everybody's time on there even those people who used all assists? If that is like that than there is no point in trying to get fastest lap times if you are going against people who use all assists on in the game.

If you want to see where you stand against other no assist "hardcore" lap times you can do that here (PC only):

http://projectcarsstats.com

(It seems Tchak got it figured out).

bigsilverhotdog
30-07-2015, 14:43
If you race with historical assists (Forced Driver Aids) the leaderboard doesn't read the settings you used correctly for some reason. It has shown me as using TC when the car doesn't have TC and TC cannot be enabled, or with damage off when damage was not off. I didn't even know you could turn damage off in time trial. I don't think I've ever turned damage off in the game (maybe on the first day it was off before I configured the game, but that's it), and I've definitely never driven the Turbolotus using any of the 3 aids.

But still, the top Sakitto GP time says I had damage off and all 3 aids used. Which is factually incorrect.

Please, PLEASE fix this rubbish and do something about the cheaters mucking up the leaderboards. Even a clean wipe is acceptable if there's a solution in place going forward. I'll be happy to take 20 minutes and do each lap again. In fact I've been holding back from setting very many because of how bad and ineffective the current system is.

xxTheGoDxx
02-08-2015, 22:16
Like I said before, I'd love to see what kind of incredible times these no assist guys would do if they could just bring themselves to use assists just once. :DSorry but this is a really really dumb argument (if I understand you correct). I am a first time wheel use (since like three days) and currently try to even submit a legal time for the Nordschleife challenge at the moment but still want to see how well I do against somebody that plays by the same rules instead of a driver with assists full, automatic and even racing line on. Have I not earned the right to demand this?

Joca63
04-08-2015, 17:05

Not sure it works...I use NO assists and it shows I am using TC, ABS and SC...which is not true.

Joni Varis
04-08-2015, 17:14
It only works proberly when you have "real aids" set off.

DEDDGUY3
03-09-2015, 23:47
me use an auuto trany cause me to uncoordinated to shift, carefull selection of gear ratios in car setup can make this fast,

theZOGster
04-09-2015, 01:41
I've been a lurker on this thread, I don't mean to jump in bluntly with my opinions, but this argument over assists is interesting to me.

Depending on how accurate the gaming physics are all I can say is that using assists isn't a magic button for fast times. You do know how to take advantage of them. With traction control if you're just mashing the throttle on every corner exit and the traction control is cutting in early it's going to kill your times. If you're able to gauge the traction and acceleration so that the traction control is just kicking in towards the end of your corner exit you won't suffer as much.

The same goes for ABS. If you're using the brakes efficiently and only triggering the ABS at the very end of your braking then your time won't suffer.

Frankly I hate ABS, and if I use traction control its only on super-high powered cars and even then I drive so that I'm not triggering it. It's basically to save my lap if I really over-cook it. I might lose time and blow my lap, but I won't end up ass-first in the barriers.

Since the leaderboard wipe I have a few top times in the Road Category (not sure how long they'll stay there once more people start trying it). I'm hardly thinking I'm the fastest guy out there, but for right now I'm in the mix.

choupolo
04-09-2015, 11:39
It's all moot now anyway since assists are currently being forced off for TT and events, unless you bind a key to toggle them back on once you're on track.

Since 3.0 I've got used to no assists now and I feel as though I'm faster for it.

N0body Of The Goat
04-09-2015, 12:14
There is still an issue where if you have assists set to "real" in-game, the website leaderboard will incorrectly report that ABS/TC/SC were all active for the laptime given, even if the car in real life does not have any of these and you did not have these helping you during the lap.

So for the new event Formula A @ Monza GP, I purposely set assists to "none," so it is clear what I used for my time http://cars-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard/event?event=36

bigsilverhotdog
04-09-2015, 15:39
When I go to do TTs since last reset I always try to set assists to off manually (instead of "real") unless I'm using GT3/4 or one of the other classes where the cars historically had aids available. Not the best method (I forget too often) but at least now the leaderboard has stopped accusing me of using aids when I don't.