PDA

View Full Version : Input-Lag Issue with the XBOX One Controller

TrevorP
15-05-2015, 03:48
Hi,

Just as a quick background I have done a decent amount of driving in Forza 5, and have a reasonable expectation and idea as to how I should be able to take various lines around a track. I've also driven karts, and drive a full-sized car (not that this really matters).

I got Project Cars a couple days ago, and like many have had issues with the XBOX One controller. I went through various configuration settings that were recommended by many people and while some settings may have helped the game is still just too frustrating to play. I also updated my controller firmware (which didn't really make a difference). However, the issues that appear to have been addressed with the impending patch seem to be only related to a directional steering lock issue. While I do experience that issue (and the Steering deadzone does prevent it), I think there is a greater issue of input joystick lag. When driving any of the cars (kart, Fgulf, etc.) I feel like I have to almost predict the coming turns, it is almost impossible to quickly counter steer. This is especially noticeable on kart tracks where I need to make quick adjustments. It simply is not acceptable to have to make sweeping movements with the controller.

If I even just tap the left controller stick to the right or left it is a noticeable quarter second or so delay before the car makes any sort of turn.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have completely eliminated controller filtering (as this definitely contributes to input lag), but it simply isn't enough.

I also want to add that I did spend quite a bit of time tonight trying to get the hang of driving in this game, and while throttle control definitely plays a more significant role in vehicle handling it seems the steering inputs just aren't quick enough.

Thanks,

Trevor

thisisbleep
15-05-2015, 04:52
Have you tried connecting the controller to the console with a mini-USB cable? The input lag is reduced when it is wired, compared to wireless. This is something that affects all Xbox One games.

Deadzone
15-05-2015, 05:11
I have the same sort of feeling with a DS4. Despite all the controller options something feels off but I can't quite explain what it is. What you have said sort of sums up what I'm feeling. I think it's also a case of tactile feedback through a controller. It's hard to feel the grip limits with the way the rumble works at the moment.

I

Froggystomper
15-05-2015, 05:41
Thisisbleep, I have to disagree with this. I don't get any input lag when playing wirelessly on Xbox One on any games, including Project Cars. I may notice some if I had superhuman senses I guess!

chillgreg
15-05-2015, 07:33
Hi,

Just as a quick background I have done a decent amount of driving in Forza 5, and have a reasonable expectation and idea as to how I should be able to take various lines around a track. I've also driven karts, and drive a full-sized car (not that this really matters).

I got Project Cars a couple days ago, and like many have had issues with the XBOX One controller. I went through various configuration settings that were recommended by many people and while some settings may have helped the game is still just too frustrating to play. I also updated my controller firmware (which didn't really make a difference). However, the issues that appear to have been addressed with the impending patch seem to be only related to a directional steering lock issue. While I do experience that issue (and the Steering deadzone does prevent it), I think there is a greater issue of input joystick lag. When driving any of the cars (kart, Fgulf, etc.) I feel like I have to almost predict the coming turns, it is almost impossible to quickly counter steer. This is especially noticeable on kart tracks where I need to make quick adjustments. It simply is not acceptable to have to make sweeping movements with the controller.

If I even just tap the left controller stick to the right or left it is a noticeable quarter second or so delay before the car makes any sort of turn.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have completely eliminated controller filtering (as this definitely contributes to input lag), but it simply isn't enough.

I also want to add that I did spend quite a bit of time tonight trying to get the hang of driving in this game, and while throttle control definitely plays a more significant role in vehicle handling it seems the steering inputs just aren't quick enough.

Thanks,

Trevor

Which TV are you using?

thisisbleep
15-05-2015, 10:05
Thisisbleep, I have to disagree with this. I don't get any input lag when playing wirelessly on Xbox One on any games, including Project Cars. I may notice some if I had superhuman senses I guess!

The increased latency is a proven thing for Xbox One and it affects all games, but most games do not require as precise controls so it is not noticed.

I have plugged mine in because of the audio bug, once that is fixed I will try wireless again, for me the increased latency won't be much difference and it saves me having the cable run across the room.

SpeedFreakDTM
15-05-2015, 11:16
What do you have the controller filtering sensitivity on.

I have it on 55, I think the higher the number the more input lag you get.

Try turning that down if it's not already on 0.

TrevorP
15-05-2015, 14:47
Have you tried connecting the controller to the console with a mini-USB cable? The input lag is reduced when it is wired, compared to wireless. This is something that affects all Xbox One games.

Yep. This is how I use the controller, I don't even have batteries for wireless.

Which TV are you using?

Some phillips flat screen 920p. This same lag does not occur with Forza, and my TV refresh rate is not the issue.

What do you have the controller filtering sensitivity on.

I have it on 55, I think the higher the number the more input lag you get.

Try turning that down if it's not already on 0.

I have used 0 for this, I've also used around 50. I find 0 definitely reduces lag, but it's still considerable.