PDA

View Full Version : Framerate temporary fix

jschenard
15-05-2015, 08:52
Hello everyone. I am glad to be part of this wonderful community.

I made several tests with multiple TVs and setup and each time it was the same results. For now it is a temporary fix and I hope the devs will do something about it soon enough.

There is an issue with the Xbox One upscaling from 900p to pseudo 1080p. Because of coding issue, you will notice a lot of framerates drops because some areas needs to be ''upscaled'' in the xbone one memory. This is due to some coding errors / bad memory management / whatever you want.

If you force your Xbox one in 720p, the upscaler will be disabled in the background and you will be locked at a constant / +- 55-60FPS with no issues.

One of the problematic tracks is California Highway full lenght with weather effects when you can experience big performance drops while driving. By forcing the xbox at 720P I now get constant and solid FPS for this track and all other tracks.

Please do not flame me because I suggest you to put your console to 720P. This is only a workaround that I used when playing PROJECT CARS at the moment.

I gladly accept comments / responses / other fixes :)

Thanks for reading

Dazza
15-05-2015, 10:07
just tried it, didnt work oulton park with 20 cars is still a slideshow.

KkDrummer
15-05-2015, 10:22
you guys should clear cache of your consoles, it seems to be the only work around that actually helps a bit...

Sp4mD4gger
15-05-2015, 11:53
you guys should clear cache of your consoles, it seems to be the only work around that actually helps a bit...
In other words, hard boot daily.

Tillj
15-05-2015, 13:39
How do you force the Xbox to run at 720p?

Sp4mD4gger
15-05-2015, 14:19
How do you force the Xbox to run at 720p?

Settings: Display & Sound:Resolution

PS, you may need to change it back to your native setting when loading another game, depends on your TV, some auto detect.

Juicy904
15-05-2015, 14:34
Worked for me. Framerate much better now under heavy rain with 720p but 1080p of course looks better....

SeanSAFC89
15-05-2015, 15:52
As far as I'm aware the game is still outputting internally at 900p, with the consoles dedicated hardware scaler down-scaling the game afterwards (much like the same scaler upscales the 900p image to 1080p).

There's an awful lot of variation that can happen between repeating races that can effect the frame rate a lot more than a resolution setting, making it very hard to attribute a frame rate increase to changing this setting.

z3r0cool77
15-05-2015, 16:43
Will give it a shot but I'm gonna jump to a conclusion here and say placebo. The drops in frame rates seem more related to some sort of memory leak or corruption. With a hard reset of the xbox everything will run nice and smooth for a couple hours then it gets progressively worse. If changing down to 720 keeps things at a smooth frame rate over an entire evening play session then I'll give you a cookie. :)

Shiningpath76
15-05-2015, 16:45
You are probably right, If you leave the game running while it plays the introduction video with music and you jump into career mode the frame rate suffers and gets buggy also the sound echoes and to be honest it is really sad lol. I found if I get out of the game (I have the digital version) and I go to the digital version of another game and then come back to project cars it fixes itself. Funny how if Forza 5 came out with all of these bugs it would have been the end of the forza franchise instead they caught heat for the micro transactions but because its out on multiplatform it wont get that much bad press. I haven't played a game with so many bugs since my double dragon days on Nintendo when I had to blow air into the front of the cartridge so that the game wouldn't bug out. SAD 202711

jschenard
15-05-2015, 18:14
Will give it a shot but I'm gonna jump to a conclusion here and say placebo. The drops in frame rates seem more related to some sort of memory leak or corruption. With a hard reset of the xbox everything will run nice and smooth for a couple hours then it gets progressively worse. If changing down to 720 keeps things at a smooth frame rate over an entire evening play session then I'll give you a cookie. :)

Good day sir.

Like I said I don't excpect putting the Xbox One in 720P as a magical cure for our problems we have right now. But the framerate is much more stable with less variations.

In the first post I have also mentionned some memory management issue. I do not have access to the code but it really seems to be a memory leak somewhere and the garbage collector does not do its job well.

I read the Devs are working on a patch that would woop the performance of the game by 5 to 10%. If it's true I am not very happy because we won't see any difference at all.