PDA

View Full Version : Controller + No Assists: Is it Possible?

Wheelzr
15-05-2015, 14:42
So playing career last night, I had my second race not in a Kart. Caterham Seven Classic - no assists on All weather tires. Corner entry oversteer / Throttle off oversteer looms large. On top of that, the front wheels still seem way too sensitive - making any turns in an apex or tightening corner seem to ALWAYS turn the wheels to sharp, regardless of how much sensitivity I take out of the steering through controller configuration and setting the steering rack all the way to the right at around 20:1.

Probably spend 1.5 hours trying to master this car, and managed to learn alot about keeping the throttle feathered during braking and corners.

But still, the steering is brutal, there are no cues to read to know how close to breaking traction the car is, any tire squeeling means its already too late.

Should I give up going no assists? I don't think I was able to put in a validated lap more than 2 laps in a row.

Am I missing something?

HarryHoodlum
15-05-2015, 15:05
I couldn't play with no assists on my gamepad. Not enough range in the controls to be accurate

Pink_650S
15-05-2015, 15:26
The Caterham, as well as the Ariels and the BAC are very hard to control without assists, indeed. But other cars can be very well driven with a Controller and no assists. Ever tried setting steering sensitivity to 0? Might help (;

Wheelzr
15-05-2015, 16:01
The Caterham, as well as the Ariels and the BAC are very hard to control without assists, indeed. But other cars can be very well driven with a Controller and no assists. Ever tried setting steering sensitivity to 0? Might help (;

Yeah, tried setting to zero, dead zone zero, controller type 1,2,3 maxed out the rack ratio etc. Seems to be that the front wheels are to unpredictable for steering and discerning where traction begins and ends. I bet on a forcefeedback wheel you could feel the slip point.

As soon as there is a wheel not over $200 I'll think about getting one....but...tiny manhattan apartment...barely have the room for the guitars and computers all over the place.

danowat
15-05-2015, 16:07
Yes, it's very possible, I'm having a blast with the Caterham with no assists using a controller, even in the wet.

BAC mono is no problem either.

Wheelzr
15-05-2015, 16:10
Yes, it's very possible, I'm having a blast with the Caterham with no assists using a controller, even in the wet.

BAC mono is no problem either.

Maybe care to share your controller settings/tune? :o

danowat
15-05-2015, 16:28
Maybe care to share your controller settings/tune? :o

Steering deadzone 6
Steering sensitivity 0
Throttle deadzone 10
Throttle sensitivity 30
Brake deadzone 10
Brake sensitivity 30
Speed sensitivity 55
Controller filtering 40
Advanced on
Soft steering damper

Caterham Classic settings

Pressures 1.20 Bar front and rear
Steering ratio 14.4:1
Front toe in -0.6
Rear spring rates 31N/mm

BSDShoes
15-05-2015, 16:56
Yes it's possible, I turned all assists off and drive just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQIbNsneQB8

Wheelzr
15-05-2015, 17:58
Yes it's possible, I turned all assists off and drive just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQIbNsneQB8

I haven't tried anything open wheel yet, but I'd suggest testing out the Catherham Seven Classic with all weather tires and see what it's like without the support of any downforce on an antiquated chassis.

danowat
15-05-2015, 19:05
Couple of laps in the BAC Mono, even though it's fairly low powered I'd say it's one of the harder cars to drive hard.
I don't profess to be the faster driver in the world, but I was pushing it as hard as I could!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0x3IOH8L6k

newwt
15-05-2015, 19:19
Yes its possible, thats how i play for now. Finally got my ds4 setup to my liking, I just have to be a little cautious coming out of turns in 2nd.

FLABADABADINGY
15-05-2015, 20:15
202748 this is a useful setup for the controller that I found whilst scouring the web for an easier way to play this amazing game

Wheelzr
16-05-2015, 06:23
Steering deadzone 6
Steering sensitivity 0
Throttle deadzone 10
Throttle sensitivity 30
Brake deadzone 10
Brake sensitivity 30
Speed sensitivity 55
Controller filtering 40
Advanced on
Soft steering damper

Caterham Classic settings

Pressures 1.20 Bar front and rear
Steering ratio 14.4:1
Front toe in -0.6
Rear spring rates 31N/mm

Just tried these and was able to get much better control. Thanks a ton!

cloakdeath
16-05-2015, 19:11
Caterham 7 is the final boss of this game...the lotus 49 is child's play compared.

NOX Megatron
16-05-2015, 19:29
what i dont get is that people not get slower by use assists... what the point of drive hardcore then ???

in forza use of assists makes you slower but here on project cars... the noobs go faster because use of assists not slow you down.... what a fucking joke get your ass kicked by people not even can shift gears them self

Pink_650S
16-05-2015, 20:34
what i dont get is that people not get slower by use assists... what the point of drive hardcore then ???

in forza use of assists makes you slower but here on project cars... the noobs go faster because use of assists not slow you down.... what a fucking joke get your ass kicked by people not even can shift gears them self

1. What does this have to do with the topic?
2. How do you know who uses assists and who doesnt?
3. Maybe you are not fast enough, ever thought about that?

No offense.

hkraft300
17-05-2015, 00:25
Caterham 7 is the final boss of this game...the lotus 49 is child's play compared.

Might have to agree. I don't know how to tame the Caterham. With the right technique the 49 should be a peach.

Wheelzr
17-05-2015, 02:07
Used danowat s settings and was able to get multiple clean laps in. Much better than my settings.

BSDShoes
17-05-2015, 02:25
I haven't tried anything open wheel yet, but I'd suggest testing out the Catherham Seven Classic with all weather tires and see what it's like without the support of any downforce on an antiquated chassis.

Yeah Cateran 7 likes to slip around but manageable once I learn the throttle feathering with that car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYvFxqsdz4Q

cloakdeath
17-05-2015, 14:42
1. What does this have to do with the topic?
2. How do you know who uses assists and who doesnt?
3. Maybe you are not fast enough, ever thought about that?

No offense.

People with automatic gear shifting will realistically always go faster. Unless one's memorised every single car's gear lengths the person who doesn't have to think about it will be better off.

Pink_650S
17-05-2015, 15:58
People with automatic gear shifting will realistically always go faster. Unless one's memorised every single car's gear lengths the person who doesn't have to think about it will be better off.

I highly doubt that.

GBRC.C7
17-05-2015, 16:18

I disagree, manual shift allows you to hold onto a gear approaching a corner that would require a downshift, so an up and downshift saved, and also gives the ability to short-shift in lower gears when traction limited that autoshift users don't have as an option.

BSDShoes
17-05-2015, 16:43

Nope, manual allows you to control the car more into corners rather than waiting for auto transmission to downshift for you when it's usually too late as you're exiting corners. I would agree with driving assists on, but not auto transmission.

dano
17-05-2015, 17:41
So playing career last night, I had my second race not in a Kart. Caterham Seven Classic - no assists on All weather tires. Corner entry oversteer / Throttle off oversteer looms large. On top of that, the front wheels still seem way too sensitive - making any turns in an apex or tightening corner seem to ALWAYS turn the wheels to sharp, regardless of how much sensitivity I take out of the steering through controller configuration and setting the steering rack all the way to the right at around 20:1.

Probably spend 1.5 hours trying to master this car, and managed to learn alot about keeping the throttle feathered during braking and corners.

But still, the steering is brutal, there are no cues to read to know how close to breaking traction the car is, any tire squeeling means its already too late.

Should I give up going no assists? I don't think I was able to put in a validated lap more than 2 laps in a row.

Am I missing something?

The main problem with the twitchy steering is the steering sensitivity. Just set that at 0. It handles like a new game now!! If you changed other settings just reset the controller to default and then set to 0.

Jaykay495
17-05-2015, 19:43
Steering deadzone 6
Steering sensitivity 0
Throttle deadzone 10
Throttle sensitivity 30
Brake deadzone 10
Brake sensitivity 30
Speed sensitivity 55
Controller filtering 40
Advanced on
Soft steering damper

Thanks for posting this. Its helped me quite a bit. Much appreciated.

cloakdeath
18-05-2015, 09:11
Nope, manual allows you to control the car more into corners rather than waiting for auto transmission to downshift for you when it's usually too late as you're exiting corners. I would agree with driving assists on, but not auto transmission.

I understand, I drive 100% manually I know, but there are some cars such as the old f1 cars where I've found it harder to make out when I should be down shifting for more power. The person on automatic will get max speed out of a corner

Pablo2008jedi
18-05-2015, 09:24

Am I missing something?

Soften the rear suspension, firm up the front suspension.

MrStef85
18-05-2015, 09:55
Yes it's possible.

Shogun613
18-05-2015, 10:38
Yes it's very possible. The key to this, other than tweaking sensitivity and deadzone settings, is to always look as far down the track as you possibly can, and always look though the apexes all the way to corner exit. This will keep you ready for what's ahead and make your driving much smoother. Not looking far enough ahead is what makes most people twitchy with both wheels and controllers.

chrislljones
18-05-2015, 11:05
I've had the same problems with the 7's but most of the problem I had seamed to be under breaking. Must admit gave in an put ABS on but that's the only assist I am using. Gonna try playing with the settings to see if I can stop using ABS. Found the same problem in other games before and went when I changed to using a wheel, although I'm no quicker over a single lap with a wheel over using pad I always found it to be more consistent.

Shogun613
18-05-2015, 11:23
I've had the same problems with the 7's but most of the problem I had seamed to be under breaking. Must admit gave in an put ABS on but that's the only assist I am using. Gonna try playing with the settings to see if I can stop using ABS. Found the same problem in other games before and went when I changed to using a wheel, although I'm no quicker over a single lap with a wheel over using pad I always found it to be more consistent.

If you had a problem with the brakes locking up, you can lower the brake pressure in tuning. Most default setups have this at 90%, but that locks up the brakes too quick. Try lowering the pressure to 70 - 75 and you can get in a good amount of stopping power before lock up.

MrStef85
18-05-2015, 11:29
If you had a problem with the brakes locking up, you can lower the brake pressure in tuning. Most default setups have this at 90%, but that locks up the brakes too quick. Try lowering the pressure to 70 - 75 and you can get in a good amount of stopping power before lock up.

Thanks for the tip!

chrislljones
18-05-2015, 12:37

I tried this with the 7's and it worked well but struggled with some of the other cars might just be my driving style. But thanks for the advise