PDA

View Full Version : Why there isn't OFFLINE SPLITSCREEN 2-player mode?

GiGAHEART
15-05-2015, 15:28
Budget issues? Lack of time? Not enough resources?

I may be in minority here, but I'm oldschool guy who started gaming during PS1 days, even then games like first Gran Turismo and its sequel have 2-player mode. Same with most of the racing games (even non-racing games actually) in PS2, PS3, Xbox, 360, etc.

Is this about, "it isn't technically possible"? Because, that's pretty ironic, considering consoles these days are far more powerful than previous gens. So I'm skeptical about that reasoning.

Or if you do this, there'd be graphical side effects? The ALMIGHTY FRAME RATE thing that everybody's going nuts about these days? So if you do this, you'd downgrade that part of the game?

Fact of the matter is, it's more fun to play with people you know (family, friends, etc.) in the flesh than strangers online. Unless you'e a complete loner in life, that is. Just saying.

To the developers, Smightly Mad Studios, I'm not isolating you guys for the blame, so no pressure. Project CARS is the most impressive-looking and most authentic racing sim I've ever played, and I've nearly played them all from Gran Turismos to Forzas and everything in between (at least in consoles, I'm not a personal computer game guy), so I thank you guys for all the hard work and dedication.

It's just, it would've been cool to give us that offline splitscreen 2-player mode option, however you downgrade it, as long there is that CHOICE for us.

Hope this feature is patchable... I doubt it though, but hey, it's worth hoping (and asking) at least. Thanks.

*~*

MysterG
15-05-2015, 15:39
It is due to technical reasons.

The physics engine and tyre model are so complicated (there is an enormous amount of data being crunched), that not even a top end PC has enough grunt to calculate it all twice (once for each player) and still have enough left to do the rendering and everything else required.

The only option would be to downgrade the physics etc.. and there would be little point in that as it would not be the same game anymore.

Pamellaaa
15-05-2015, 15:39
Fact of the matter is, it's more fun to play with people you know (family, friends, etc.) in the flesh than strangers online. Unless you'e a complete loner in life, that is. Just saying.

Thats a bit of a sweeping statement, none of my family or IRL friends are remotely interested in racing games much less sim-racing but I had a hugely enjoyable evening with a bunch of like minded "strangers" last night.

That aside I don't think this is the sort of game that will lend itself well to split screen. The game is already fairly CPU intensive to do the physics calculations, double that up and I imagine you could see some fairly hefty problems running it on anything other than a very high spec PC. I have personally never got on with local splitscreen in racing games anyway, the view never works properly, there are too many distractions with two cars on the screen and two sets of audio mean you can't hear your gear change points.

Edit: Tree'd on the second part.

GiGAHEART
15-05-2015, 19:50
It is due to technical reasons.

The physics engine and tyre model are so complicated (there is an enormous amount of data being crunched), that not even a top end PC has enough grunt to calculate it all twice (once for each player) and still have enough left to do the rendering and everything else required.

The only option would be to downgrade the physics etc.. and there would be little point in that as it would not be the same game anymore.

Would it be possible if then if it's only 1 car vs 1 car at the minimum for this potential offline splitscreen 2-player mode?

I supposed it is right? Obviously when you got 30+ or 40+ cars it woudn't be.

But thanks for your answer dude, really appreciate the honesty. I'd like to hear more from the devs about this because I really believe it can be done.

*~*

MaXyM
15-05-2015, 19:54
Point is, that player car is driven by complex physics, while AI cars uses simplified one.
While common rig is able to calculate multiple AI physics, it has no enough power to do the same for two player cars.

Kamikaze_Urmel
15-05-2015, 19:55
Would it be possible if then if it's only 1 car vs 1 car at the minimum for this potential offline splitscreen 2-player mode?

I supposed it is right? Obviously when you got 30+ or 40+ cars it woudn't be.

But thanks for your answer dude, really appreciate the honesty. I'd like to hear more from the devs about this because I really believe it can be done.

*~*

The AI uses a simplified physics model, in MP the other players just send you their X/Y/Z coodinates, their direction etc. and you game renders them accordingly on your screen.
Calculating the full physics package twice won't happen with current tech, sorry:(

Killzone729
15-05-2015, 22:55
It is definitely due to technical reasons. Going way back in the day even on something like Mario Kart 64 or Crash Team Racing, if you went above two players you had no AI on track with you. And for more realistic racing games over time it was the same. Most games are already pushing the limitations of hardware the best that they can at that current time, whether it be Graphics/Physics or the like.. So to do that twice would be insane for something as complex as this game.

GiGAHEART
16-05-2015, 20:17
The AI uses a simplified physics model, in MP the other players just send you their X/Y/Z coodinates, their direction etc. and you game renders them accordingly on your screen.
Calculating the full physics package twice won't happen with current tech, sorry:(

Ok cool dude, it seems you know the technical side of things, honestly I really don't I'm just a gamer who observes things.

The thing is, COD Black Ops 3 will have split-screen, and that is probably the most technically advanced FPS yet by the time it comes.

I just don't get it, WHY SPLITSCREEN CAN BE DONE PREVIOUS GENS yet most devs on this current gen, which far more powerful than previous gens, can't do it or doesn't even willing to try.

Like I said bro, appreciate the honesty in your part, you admit you can't do it, but the way I see things, when some games can do it, why not this, you know what I'm saying?

*~*

o Mike V o
16-05-2015, 20:20
cod the most technically advanced

wat

MaXyM
16-05-2015, 20:29
COD doesn't calculate physics.
GiGAHEART is still assuming that complexity of requested by him feature is not limited in any way. Already has been said, that single machine cannot process simulation of 2 player cars.
I would even say, that even gfx would be stopper in this area. Look at cockpits how are detailed. COD is not as detailed as close view of cockpit.

What else... It's my guess, but imo nobody even considered this feature. Simracing world is heading wide and even wider views. bigger displays, multiple monitors. pCars is not intended to be family arcade game you may play on sofa. No one simulation has this feature and looks like devs can't see reason to add it. So am I.

JessicaWalter
16-05-2015, 20:32
cod doesn't have a physics engine calculating at 600 fps. then add in time progression, weather, lighting, etc. not only are they completely different games, so not really comparable, but every aspect of pcars is working a lot harder than cod.

a gun/ballistics sim would be right up my alley tho. if one ever gets made.

lacslyer
16-05-2015, 21:45
Ok cool dude, it seems you know the technical side of things, honestly I really don't I'm just a gamer who observes things.

The thing is, COD Black Ops 3 will have split-screen, and that is probably the most technically advanced FPS yet by the time it comes.

I just don't get it, WHY SPLITSCREEN CAN BE DONE PREVIOUS GENS yet most devs on this current gen, which far more powerful than previous gens, can't do it or doesn't even willing to try.

Like I said bro, appreciate the honesty in your part, you admit you can't do it, but the way I see things, when some games can do it, why not this, you know what I'm saying?

*~*

COD and previous generations of racing games didn't have the same calculations to make per second while you're racing that this game does. Just because those games did allow it doesn't mean current games can, that's illogical thinking to assume that just because other games have done it that this game should be capable of doing it. Especially comparing an FPS to a racing sim... I don't mean to be rude, but the obviousness of why COD can do it compared to why this game can't should be self explanatory. For example, COD doesn't have physics in it that manipulates the character you control depending on circumstances such as temperature or environment surface. There's a lot that this game calculates per second that you're not aware of.

elshivo24
21-09-2015, 02:10
I think it is my fault for not doing my homework before buying this game, but a racing game without a split-screen mode is just useless. What is my surprise when I open the game for the first time and don't have the split-screen option... Really disappointed and regret buying this game. And blaming it on the technical specs is just nonsense, I won't believe that until I see some tests proving it.

SUBGTRACER
21-09-2015, 02:18
I think it is my fault for not doing my homework before buying this game, but a racing game without a split-screen mode is just useless. What is my surprise when I open the game for the first time and don't have the split-screen option... Really disappointed and regret buying this game. And blaming it on the technical specs is just nonsense, I won't believe that until I see some tests proving it.

Blaming it Technical specs is completely true 40 cars on screen , this game would run like a wounded steer with 80 cars on split screen ........

Its a little wrong to mention gran turismo on ps2 and pcars in the same sentence ......like chalk and cheese .

FS7
21-09-2015, 20:19
I'd love to have 2-player split-screen (or even 4-player split-screen) but taking into account that my PS4 sounds like a jet taking off whenever I race in the rain in PCars I seriously doubt the PS4 could handle split-screen multiplayer in PCars, even if SMS downgraded graphics to 720p/30fps it would probably be too much for the PS4 to handle.

Lan multiplayer would be a good feature to have though, and probably much more likely to happen than split-screen.

SUBGTRACER
21-09-2015, 21:08
Oh I miss lanning with the guys , great fun !

Haiden
21-09-2015, 21:54

To me...a racing game with split screen is probably more arcade than sim. I wouldn't even bother playing split-screen, because the view is just awful, and I can't judge distance or speed correctly. And the spec issue isn't nonsense. It's a fact. As in, not even arguable. If you don't understand, that's one thing, but it's not nonsense.

Vennt
21-09-2015, 22:02

*~*

You can't compare racing games, to racing sims, when it comes to technical requirements.

I mean just take a look at what is happening under the hood just to simulate the tire properties (http://www.virtualr.net/inside-project-cars-seta-tire-model) in Project Cars.

That's just the tire model, when you factor in the engine modelling, which even includes factors like the barometric pressure effects on engine power, simulation of weight transfer for the cars suspension components etc. you start to see why simulating two cars is too big an ask for todays hardware.

leithnow
21-09-2015, 23:36
Umm...couldn't you have looked on the back of the package or on the internet to see if it had split screen seeing as how if it didn't the game would be "totally useless"...ya know before you bought it and complained that it didn't have what you expected it to.

E_Luckow
22-09-2015, 00:25
Split screen in a SIM??? Is this serious?

Cheesenium
22-09-2015, 01:59
Split screen in a SIM??? Is this serious?

Would be nice to have, to be honest but I really do not see any feasibility with this as even the calculations for the player car's physics takes out 2 cores in this game.

Even a monster PC will have issues running split screen in a storm with 50+ cars on grid which is understandable to see the game not supporting split screen.