PDA

View Full Version : So why no CUSTOM LIVERIES for the console versions (PS4 / Xbone)?

GiGAHEART
15-05-2015, 18:03
I get it that there'd be downloadable free liveries, but why not let us console guys do our own thing as PC guys do?

This is my most-wanted feature on any racing game, I don't really care about custom tires, mufflers, etc. even tuning, just this one, because designing art styles for cars are so much fun really.

I understand that console versions are feature-packed already, on my PS4 there's no game out right now that's probably more graphically and technically impressive (though probably other than GTAV in terms of content, and very soon Witcher 3) but if PC guys can get it why not us as well?

Would like to know from Slightly Mad Studios if this is possible in the future patches. Thanks guys.

*~*

Krazee DD
15-05-2015, 18:08
In Forza 4 I became a painter. Thats all I did in the game haha. I would like the feature as well, but for now the racing alone has me locked in.

GiGAHEART
15-05-2015, 20:21
In Forza 4 I became a painter. Thats all I did in the game haha. I would like the feature as well, but for now the racing alone has me locked in.

Racing is indeed fun dude, menus could get a little overhaul though IMO.

Like, since we're speaking about liveries, for example in Quick Race, why not just let us choose them from car selection slide instead of going to garage and making a new car setup you know what I'm saying bro?

*~*

Ryno917
15-05-2015, 20:31
SMS is a pretty small team, all things considered, so there simply was not the resources to create a paint shop like what exists in Forza. When it comes to importing files created on the PC, Sony and MS are likely the road blocks there.

The only console game I can think of that allowed modding was Unreal Tournament 3 (or 4?).

Haiden
16-05-2015, 15:57
I'd rather they spent development time and game resources on racing. Its a racing Sim, not a detail shop. Forza became a cluttered mess of repeat designs, and most of them were hideous. I like SMS' process of letting users submit designs, and then selecting the best ones to offer in livery packs.

Darth Praxis
16-05-2015, 16:15
Well maybe now that all the resources are freed up from working full time on the other versions of the game and Slightly Mad has not announced any confirmed date for it's release yet, they can include the Livery/customizable paint function on the Wii U!

Being that it has an interface that would allow for arguably the MOST artistic detail via the Gamepad touchscreen and stylus it makes a lot of sense, and might just help to smooth over things with that community!

Alright now I'm turning blue!!! :)

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11117/111170007/4506681-7038874729-hold%25.jpg

GiGAHEART
16-05-2015, 20:11
SMS is a pretty small team, all things considered, so there simply was not the resources to create a paint shop like what exists in Forza. When it comes to importing files created on the PC, Sony and MS are likely the road blocks there..

So what's the paint shop like in the Project Cars PC version, that's not Forza-like as far as I know and it can be done with the PS4 version right?

And why would Sony and MS be "roadblocks", considering with MS' case Forza have it.

Why "likely", does that mean Slightly Mad Studios DID NOT try to add this feature then?

I'd rather they spent development time and game resources on racing. Its a racing Sim, not a detail shop. Forza became a cluttered mess of repeat designs, and most of them were hideous. I like SMS' process of letting users submit designs, and then selecting the best ones to offer in livery packs.

By your "logic" the PC version of Project Cars is a detail shop then.

*~*

Mr Akina
16-05-2015, 20:25
So what's the paint shop like in the Project Cars PC version, that's not Forza-like as far as I know and it can be done with the PS4 version right?

No, you need to download the templates and then design your livery in Photoshop.

And why would Sony and MS be "roadblocks", considering with MS' case Forza have it.

Obviously, downloading a file from Photoshop isn't possible with a console. All Forza graphics were designed in game - so no need to download anything. The reason Sony and MS are 'roadblocks' is that anything that comes from outside of a game, must be approved for the storefront... This is a lengthy process (hence the delays with patches) and so you will never be able to edit liveries on a console. And NO, you can't just put them on a USB stick and upload them as the consoles are securely locked to prevent hacking.

Why "likely", does that mean Slightly Mad Studios DID NOT try to add this feature then?

Because it would require a whole new game within a game for the paint shop and more processing power to apply it to your race car - something the game probably cannot handle right now.

Charles Gillen
16-05-2015, 20:33
I'm actually kinda torn on this subject. Been a painter from way back in the day. But I also like the fantasy paints on the existing cars. Also, after seeing the cars online in some games, not sure I wanna look at some of those accidents posing as a paint job. Opens up a whole world of new and exciting ways to get banned from XBOX. Seen it happen a lot already.

Although I would like to do race paints between races. Maybe a way to import from a paint program with templates. Thats real oldschool.

Charles

Darth Praxis
17-05-2015, 02:10
Actually understanding that Slightly Mad didn't spend the time building an extensive paint suite for the PC and simply allows PC gamers to import photoshopped "skins/templates" answers all the questions that were raised and not really answered as to why it wasn't available as a console option......but.......I just LOVE to beat a dead horse! :)

The Wii U HAS a built-in paint suite via Art Academy and by allowing players to import and overlay art from that software into Project CARS "might" work! But that would of course mean that there would have to be an agreement between Nintendo and Slightly Mad on the usage so probably not at all likely!

But HEY.....it is a "possible" solution that wouldn't necessarily eat up a TON of programming hours on Slightly Mad's part in having building a paint program from the ground up!

Solutions.....I got 'em! ;)

GiGAHEART
17-05-2015, 19:02
No, you need to download the templates and then design your livery in Photoshop.

Obviously, downloading a file from Photoshop isn't possible with a console. All Forza graphics were designed in game - so no need to download anything. The reason Sony and MS are 'roadblocks' is that anything that comes from outside of a game, must be approved for the storefront... This is a lengthy process (hence the delays with patches) and so you will never be able to edit liveries on a console. And NO, you can't just put them on a USB stick and upload them as the consoles are securely locked to prevent hacking.

Because it would require a whole new game within a game for the paint shop and more processing power to apply it to your race car - something the game probably cannot handle right now.

About the "roadblock" thing...

Since our PS4 are mostly online dude, I think it's also possible to ask for SMS' approval just like PC guys don't you think bro?

Like, you make a car livery, for the moment you can only use it OFFLINE but you can submit it for approval. That could work right?

*~*

CustomInternals
17-05-2015, 19:37
About the "roadblock" thing...

Since our PS4 are mostly online dude, I think it's also possible to ask for SMS' approval just like PC guys don't you think bro?

Like, you make a car livery, for the moment you can only use it OFFLINE but you can submit it for approval. That could work right?

*~*

It's basically like that on the PC right now. In a Online MP race, no one will see your custom livery. Also who would a Developer ask for approval when it comes to PC games? Microsoft? Apple? HP? Dell? My point being, I don't think there is any sort of approval for a PC game. The "editor" for PC is far from what it seems like people think it is. At least people that don't have it on PC. There is no editor. Basically since we have access to the files of the game, since we're on PC, we can edit and replace them. That's it. The same as any other game or program on a computer. No game on any console I've ever heard of gives you access to the game files, without modding, which is illegal. Even if you have it on PC and want to make your own custom livery you need to have an appropriate program, the proper plugin(to read/edit the file), and knowledge of that program to edit and save the photo properly. Which is all easier said than done. I myself have had other great members of the community make my custom liveries because I don't know how. I even went to the extent of downloading everything needed and watching multiple tutorials. So far it has got me a plain white Ruf RGT-8 GT3. If an in-game editor ever comes out, which I hope it does, I hope it also comes to the PC. Because just like console players can't make their own liveries, there are plenty of PC players in the same boat. The only difference is we have the ability to try and make them. Just not the knowledge to use the required program(s) to do so.

GiGAHEART
18-05-2015, 19:01
It's basically like that on the PC right now. In a Online MP race, no one will see your custom livery. Also who would a Developer ask for approval when it comes to PC games? Microsoft? Apple? HP? Dell? My point being, I don't think there is any sort of approval for a PC game. The "editor" for PC is far from what it seems like people think it is. At least people that don't have it on PC. There is no editor. Basically since we have access to the files of the game, since we're on PC, we can edit and replace them. That's it. The same as any other game or program on a computer. No game on any console I've ever heard of gives you access to the game files, without modding, which is illegal. Even if you have it on PC and want to make your own custom livery you need to have an appropriate program, the proper plugin(to read/edit the file), and knowledge of that program to edit and save the photo properly. Which is all easier said than done. I myself have had other great members of the community make my custom liveries because I don't know how. I even went to the extent of downloading everything needed and watching multiple tutorials. So far it has got me a plain white Ruf RGT-8 GT3. If an in-game editor ever comes out, which I hope it does, I hope it also comes to the PC. Because just like console players can't make their own liveries, there are plenty of PC players in the same boat. The only difference is we have the ability to try and make them. Just not the knowledge to use the required program(s) to do so.

Ok I got all that dude, but what about those free liveries I found on PSN, it says they're user-made, how did SMS chose those from PC guys bro?

*~*

hkraft300
19-05-2015, 05:40
Don't care for a paintshop... Throw us some community liveries on PSN as DLC :)

JSNFARRELL
19-05-2015, 05:56
(as stated earlier - can confirm this)
Not seeing multiplayer support for this on the PC side anyway... you aren't missing out on much man just enjoy the ones we got.
They gave us a good selection... sure more will come with patching or some form of DLC.