PDA

View Full Version : I've run out of buttons!

Mr Akina
15-05-2015, 19:06
Ok, we know this is a PC game, cut down to fit an Xbone, but when it comes to assigning buttons in the menu, the controller (or wheel, I assume) doesn't have enough buttons to assign stuff to.

Would it be possible to use the buttons on a second controller? Or at the very, very least - allow us to NOT assign the handbrake and use that button for other things!!

For those that don't know, you can't exit the menu without a handbrake assigned.

Thanks

Ixoye56
15-05-2015, 20:22
Have you used analog stick buttons? They are the only buttons who are not assigned on the controller

Mr Akina
15-05-2015, 20:42
Have you used analog stick buttons? They are the only buttons who are not assigned on the controller

I race in cockpit view, so I have kept Look Left/Right. Up/Down on the Right Stick now move my seat as sometimes the cars mirror is obscured. Pressing the Right Stick is Cycle MoTeC and Handbrake is now activated by pressing the Left Stick - which might be a bad idea if I'm a bit ham-fisted.

gds1972
15-05-2015, 20:45
I don't know if this would work with the game but something like below may possibly resolve your problem.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pandaren%C2%AE-wireless-keyboard-Xbox-controller/dp/B00QWRQRES/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1431722606&sr=1-1&keywords=xbox+one+keyboard

Ixoye56
15-05-2015, 20:51
I don't know if this would work with the game but something like below may possibly resolve your problem.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pandaren%C2%AE-wireless-keyboard-Xbox-controller/dp/B00QWRQRES/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1431722606&sr=1-1&keywords=xbox+one+keyboard

Nice one ! :)

Mr Akina
15-05-2015, 20:51

Thanks! I hope it does :D

jok3rxone
15-05-2015, 20:53
I figured out today you can set your gear box to be different settings in your car. (Eg. Hand break now is gear 2, start engine is reverse gear) I now shift with the paddles.

gds1972
15-05-2015, 21:00
Hopefully one of the developers / moderators can confirm if this would actually work prior to spending your money.

HEF51
15-05-2015, 21:14
Hopefully one of the developers / moderators can confirm if this would actually work prior to spending your money.

No keyboards do not work.

Benja190782
15-05-2015, 22:32
No keyboards do not work.

Why?? The Xbox One will accept if you put an USB keyboard into it.

So it is possible if SMS would let the game accept two devices at once, right?

HEF51
16-05-2015, 05:18
Why?? The Xbox One will accept if you put an USB keyboard into it.

So it is possible if SMS would let the game accept two devices at once, right?

I don't know, I'm not SMS.

I'm just saying keyboards do not work right now. I'm sure they will look into it if it is possible.

NVI0U5
16-05-2015, 05:27
Have you assigned all your "needed" buttons? then try to back out and says you havent assigned all the buttons? Just press the start button top right screen menu will drop, select help & options then press b to back out from the help & options and the configuration saves with whatever buttons you assigned

Chris Sercombe
16-05-2015, 12:20
I figured out today you can set your gear box to be different settings in your car. (Eg. Hand break now is gear 2, start engine is reverse gear) I now shift with the paddles.

Thats wheel only, were on about controller.

Sp4mD4gger
19-05-2015, 18:33

Just a word, you cannot use mic/headset with this item, as it uses the slot and there is no thru-port.
But a second controller can be used, just like the wheel users do for chat.

IgorTheHunchback
19-05-2015, 23:53
Ok, we know this is a PC game, cut down to fit an Xbone, but when it comes to assigning buttons in the menu, the controller (or wheel, I assume) doesn't have enough buttons to assign stuff to.

Would it be possible to use the buttons on a second controller? Or at the very, very least - allow us to NOT assign the handbrake and use that button for other things!!

For those that don't know, you can't exit the menu without a handbrake assigned.

Thanks

I was wondering if SMS could utilise the Smartglass app for Xbox One and allow us to have a virtual keyboard. I'm sure that could work that is after all the reason Microsoft created the Smartglass app to allow games to be expanded with the app.

Could a mod notify Ian Bell and get his thoughts on using the Smartglass app.

Lukeymonster
20-05-2015, 00:05
I was wondering if SMS could utilise the Smartglass app for Xbox One and allow us to have a virtual keyboard. I'm sure that could work that is after all the reason Microsoft created the Smartglass app to allow games to be expanded with the app.

I love this idea but don't really know how tricky it would be. I'd like to be able to adjust my brake balance, sway bars and tc rate on the fly. There are just not enough buttons. Even a second controller would do but a smart glass app that looks like a carbon fiber instrument panel would be the bees knees. Are there any other games that allow in game button parameters to be input from smartglass? Or are they all more of a visual second screen experience?

ethrtyis
20-05-2015, 08:45

This would be a great idea. It doesn't even have to be Smartglass. It could be a third party app or even a Project Cars app. Combined with something like this:
http://cdn.gottabemobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Nyko_Smart_Clip_Xbox_One-463x575.jpg

However, seems like you wouldn't be abe to use the headset adapter? This would also be great to use as a dash like pc users can with their phones or additional monitors which could be used to display various gauges and the like.

Daveesaunders
20-05-2015, 11:16
I like the idea of Smartglass, being able to customize what I have on the app would be useful.

IgorTheHunchback
20-05-2015, 14:38
Ok I've looked into this and yes using Smartglass to add buttons to Project Cars is very doable. As a small sample the guy in this video (Link below) uses smart glass app to interact with Dead Rising 3 on Xbox One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OekimSdmR6s&feature=youtu.be&t=4m33s

Dynomight Motorsports
20-05-2015, 14:45

this would be nice if you could use a Secondary controller. I have a wheel and only have 13 buttons according to the TX PC interface screen, and two of those are my paddle shifters. I don't think Handbrake should be mandatory.

IgorTheHunchback
20-05-2015, 23:02
That's where the smartglass app would come in. If SMS used Smartglass then we could have access to every adjustable option in the app without having to compromise on controller or wheel button choices.

stux
21-05-2015, 10:54
And you should also be able to use your MoTec display on the smart glass, although it might be tad laggy (not sure)

IgorTheHunchback
21-05-2015, 14:39
The Smartglass app would just need to provide a button to cycle the MoTec display on your car. As with other functions adjusting brake balance for example one button to move balance forward another to move it rear.

bkfount
21-05-2015, 18:26
this is so stupid that it requires certain inputs. I have had zero use for a handbrake, yet it's still a required button. I could use the spot for DRS or whatever.

Benja190782
21-05-2015, 18:48
this is so stupid that it requires certain inputs. I have had zero use for a handbrake, yet it's still a required button. I could use the spot for DRS or whatever.

You don't need to - there is a workaround for this - can't remember exactly how, but it's about going back with another button than B, and then go back in and out again - then it's saved and you don't have a button for handbrake.

EDIT: it's in another thread - can't find it now...

skijumptoes
21-05-2015, 21:09
Posted this in another reply to you, i think you mean this Benja? :-

"After mapping the Buttons and before you try to leave the menu hit the "Options" button and switch to the last point (menu&help). You will find yourself in the main menu and all mappings are stored!"

Not tried it myself. but that could be handy tip if it works.

SN1P3R SK33T
22-05-2015, 01:54
Search for "allow wheels to have more buttons" on feedback.xbox.com and give it an upvote! Basically MS have limited the input protocols on Wheels so the more upvotes hopefully the faster this can be fixed!