PDA

View Full Version : [OVALS] Help me learn American race culture

Lotusnut
15-05-2015, 19:28
Really not trying to start a war here, but pretty sure it'll deteriorate fast. This is the internet after all!
I really do want to understand though because I don't get it??!
When I look at the new car and track requests I keep seeing requests for drag racing and oval tracks.
Now apart from both of these being insanely boring to watch on a screen, the thrill of both comes from the feelings of sheer speed you get while INSIDE the car.
Why on earth would you want to sit in a chair in your living room turning a virtual car in a circle or worse, driving it in a straight line? I can do that on my iPad!
This is mind numbingly boring with a wheel, can't even imagine how stupid it must feel with a controller?
So like I say help me out here because maybe I'm missing something and this really is fun? I just don't get it!

Skullblits69
15-05-2015, 19:32
Its there sports, there history, there passion

Lotusnut
15-05-2015, 19:35
I get that, I really do. Cricket is one of my countries favorite sports. It's fantastic to play, I can even watch it on tv (yes all five days). But on Xbox? No thanks.
My question is still, why would you want to do that on this game?

Noksi
15-05-2015, 19:35
To each his own ... some like blond girls, some like red girls, some like boys. Nothing wrong there.

As an European (German) I can grant you, even driving a Indycar around a circle needs lots of skill and can be lots of fun.

Hard to express in words, it's either you like it or not in my opinion (for example I can't see what's a brilliant with rally driving, friends of me praise Dirt Rally but I'm not even taking a look because that's not my kind of racing).

Dookie Possum
15-05-2015, 19:55
I have a question for you! How many NASCAR races have you been to? How many NHRA drag events have you been to?

Ixoye56
15-05-2015, 19:57
I'm European and like Nascar games, I really miss the good old days with Papyrus Nascar sims.

HarryHoodlum
15-05-2015, 20:00
I'm American and have no interest in those things at all.

Noksi
15-05-2015, 20:01
I'm European and like Nascar games, I really miss the good old days with Papyrus Nascar sims.

Have you tried iRacing yet ?

Umer Ahmad
15-05-2015, 20:01
Oval racing has lot if action, passing and close racing. You will like it

Ixoye56
15-05-2015, 20:06
Have you tried iRacing yet ?

No, unfortunately not, I've lost the desire to fuss with PC

Sankyo
15-05-2015, 20:07
Nascar racing has its own skills and excitement. If you've never played a decent Nascar racing game/sim, you should and you'll find that the constant bumper-to-bumper racing on the edge of tyre grip and the tactics of when to overtake, defend or be overtaken is a really thrilling branch of motorsport. It's different from circuit racing and requires a different skill set and mindset. If you focus on the 'it's only turning left all the time' then you're missing the essence of it completely and it probably won't be fun to do.

As for drag racing, same story basically, different skill set required. More limited IMO, but if you adapt to what it needs instead of what it misses w.r.t. circuit racing, it will become more interesting.

FYI I like oval racing as a change to circuit racing, drag racing isn't my cup of tea.

Mr Akina
15-05-2015, 20:18
Really not trying to start a war here, but pretty sure it'll deteriorate fast. This is the internet after all!
When I look at the new car and track requests I keep seeing requests for drag racing and oval tracks.
Now apart from both of these being insanely boring to watch on a screen, the thrill of both comes from the feelings of sheer speed you get while INSIDE the car.
Why on earth would you want to sit in a chair in your living room turning a virtual car in a circle or worse, driving it in a straight line? I can do that on my iPad!
This is mind numbingly boring with a wheel, can't even imagine how stupid it must feel with a controller?
So like I say help me out here because maybe I'm missing something and this really is fun? I just don't get it!

I'm English, I like F1 and Touring Cars, Endurance etc... But I've been to more NASCAR races than any of those. Oval racing is definitely more fun for the driver than the spectator, but it's as technical and as difficult as any other motorsport. The last F1 driver to ever win in a Stock Car on an Oval was Mario Andretti. Jacque Villesneuve and Kimi Raikonnen (Both F1 Champs) have both sucked at NASCAR on Ovals - that kinda gives you an idea of how hard it is. IndyCar pushes the limit again. NASCAR is about racing 2 or 3 wide and 10 rows deep - Anyone, like Ixoye56 who has played NASCAR games like the Papyrus version or iRacing, knows that it's tense, really tense, when you are racing that close and that out of control. I have tried to explain it to my F1 friends, but they don't get it either - but if you ask any Pro that has tried Ovals, they will smile and tell you, you need real BALLS to do it. Max Chilton was on the F1 Show tonight and he said much the same.

jgaganas
15-05-2015, 20:23
In road racing you (mostly) fight the track, while in oval racing you (mostly) fight your opponents.

It's also a good spectacle (ever watched "Ben Hur")? :P

Mr Akina
15-05-2015, 20:30
Plus, the variety of Ovals is insane. The Superspeedways are just flat out, 200mph drag races; but the short tracks like Bristol require a completely different skillset.

You will not be able to race Ovals with a controller either, you are rarely ever straight - even the straights are banked slightly, so trying to do it with a stick will be impossible.

madmax2069
15-05-2015, 20:35
I dont like watching Nascar, but I love racing in it (in a game of course).

Plus, the variety of Ovals is insane. The Superspeedways are just flat out, 200mph drag races; but the short tracks like Bristol require a completely different skillset.

You will not be able to race Ovals with a controller either, you are rarely ever straight - even the straights are banked slightly, so trying to do it with a stick will be impossible.

Impossible for you maybe, but not for me and many others that has good control with a controller.

Ryno917
15-05-2015, 20:38
There's different types of NASCAR fans. Some like the party atmosphere and the crashes. Real racing fans like the racing itself - NASCAR races have lots of side by side action, the field is always large and usually fairly close together. From a driving perspective, oval racing is every bit as tough as road course racing - you're right on the edge of performance in a close group of cars. That's where the challenge comes in. Obviously, driving an oval track is not hard - but either is driving on a road course. The difficulty comes from being on the very edge - and that's incredibly difficult no matter where you're driving.

For drag racing, most of the interest is in the technical aspects. From the racing perspective, it's the insane acceleration those things have. In practice, the difficulty is in nailing the launch with the lowest possible reaction time and getting every single shift absolutely perfect. Again, driving in a straight line isn't hard at all. But doing everything absolutely perfectly is the difficult part - and that's where the skill comes in.

I completely understand the interest in both forms of racing. That being said, I don't like either of them. I respect the skill it takes to do them, and I understand the appeal, I just personally don't like them and prefer road racing (and rallying).

Dookie Possum
15-05-2015, 20:45
The thing about NASCAR that attracts a lot of viewers is the pageantry at the races. It's like a party 3 days long filled with cold beer, barbecue, and loud music and loud V8s. To see the field rolling around the track coming to the green flag, sounds like a swarm of angry bees. Green flag drops, and the bees get angrier, and angrier...followed by 43 cars zooming by all different colors. 10 laps in, the gap from first to last is 2 seconds. Whereas 1 lap in to a Formula 1 race, the lead is 3-5 seconds. I love F1 more than NASCAR right now because too many rules were changed in NASCAR and is now not worth watching. F1 IS the pinnacle of motorsport and is the most exciting just because of the pure technical genius used to create the cars, but NASCAR is exciting to watch and hang with friends and have a fun weekend.

Umer Ahmad
15-05-2015, 20:52
The thing about NASCAR that attracts a lot of viewers is the pageantry at the races. It's like a party 3 days long filled with cold beer, barbecue, and loud music and loud V8s. To see the field rolling around the track coming to the green flag, sounds like a swarm of angry bees. Green flag drops, and the bees get angrier, and angrier...followed by 43 cars zooming by all different colors. 10 laps in, the gap from first to last is 2 seconds. Whereas 1 lap in to a Formula 1 race, the lead is 3-5 seconds. I love F1 more than NASCAR right now because too many rules were changed in NASCAR and is now not worth watching. F1 IS the pinnacle of motorsport and is the most exciting just because of the pure technical genius used to create the cars, but NASCAR is exciting to watch and hang with friends and have a fun weekend.
man, I'm watching "Talledega 100,000 Cameras"....you aint kidding! People get married at the race and everything! BBQ Sauce "girl fights", late night parties. I NEED to go next year.

Dookie Possum
15-05-2015, 20:55
man, I'm watching "Talledega 100,000 Cameras"....you aint kidding! People get married at the race and everything! BBQ Sauce "girl fights", late night parties. I NEED to go next year.

Yup! Us rednecks can party hard!

Roger Prynne
15-05-2015, 21:06
You have to go and watch Drag Racing at the strip to really appreciate what it's all about....
I go to Santapod (http://www.santapod.co.uk/) quite often and the sound of the cars and vibrations through the stands is something you will never experience anywhere else, and the rocket cars at night...WOW.
You will see Top Fuel Dragsters & Funny Cars, Jet Cars & Rocket Bikes, Monster Trucks & Motocross, Drifting and more.

Another good thing is that you can walk through the pits and talk to the drivers...not many places you can do that.

Ryno917
15-05-2015, 21:15
F1 IS the pinnacle of motorsport and is the most exciting just because of the pure technical genius used to create the cars...

LMP1 cars have more technology in them, and produce more downforce with less drag. And provide more technical freedom and flexibility. And provide better racing.

F1 is only the pinnacle of motorsports marketing. ;)

Lotusnut
15-05-2015, 21:19
Hmmmm, I like the close wheel to wheel action thing, ok well if they introduce ovals I'll give it a go. Still don't think I'll ever take to dragging on a console though.
Oh and just btw I'm talking on a game here. Dragging in real life is a blast. Similar to what Roger said, if watching a jet car or top fueler blast off doesn't excite you then you just don't like cars.
Would also love to go to a live nascar race. The party must be insane, but wouldn't be going to watch the racing. I've tried watching on TV and managed about 30 minutes. Didn't even know which car was in the lead :)

Mr Akina
15-05-2015, 21:21
LMP1 cars have more technology in them, and produce more downforce with less drag. And provide more technical freedom and flexibility. And provide better racing.

F1 is only the pinnacle of motorsports marketing. ;)

Sssshhhh! Bernie will hear you! But yeah, WEC is more entertaining and more technical; but you can't put a 6hr race on at primetime. Back to the topic... :)

Jesse Fahrenkrog
15-05-2015, 23:54
It has it's own nuances for sure. In road racing you may have to hit your marks for 50 laps and if you miss one you can usually make it up somewhere else. Some NASCAR races are 4-500 laps with half the field running within a tenth of each others lap times. Yeah, there's a lot of side by side racing which is intense, but I've always enjoyed the discipline it requires. A good sim such as iRacing or ARCA Sim racing (and others) reflect tire wear as they should. In oval racing, taking care of you tires during a long "stint" can really pay dividends. You've really got to run your pace but be ready to step up when it matters. Sound familiar? Also, in road racing there is essentially one line. The shortest way around the track, usually over the kurbs and wide to set up turn in. In oval racing even though the high line may be the longer way around, the car typically maintains RPM better since there is less parasitic speed loss due to friction,(having so slow down for mechanical grip) leading to higher straightaway speeds. This is partially what creates a lot of the side by side racing. Different lines on a wide track. In fact, oftentimes now when a track owner decides it's time to repave the track, they often do "progressive banking" which of course increases the angle of the track toward the wall.

There's a lot more to it than people realize. Sure, anyone can turn left, then turn left..and so on. But doing it around many other cars doing the same thing and trying to "find a way around" when you're running almost the exact same speed is the difference. Give it a try...it's fun as hell!

MutantOctane
16-05-2015, 01:46
Apples and oranges really. Ovals are about balancing the car, in traffic, and a bit of brute force in tight spaces.

Road courses are more about finesse and precision.

Both are remarkably fun in my opinion, but 2 different perspectives on Motorsport.

This is one of the reasons IndyCar is so much fun - both road and oval.

StalkerDellaNote
16-05-2015, 02:08
There's different types of NASCAR fans. Some like the party atmosphere and the crashes. Real racing fans like the racing itself - NASCAR races have lots of side by side action, the field is always large and usually fairly close together. From a driving perspective, oval racing is every bit as tough as road course racing - you're right on the edge of performance in a close group of cars. That's where the challenge comes in. Obviously, driving an oval track is not hard - but either is driving on a road course. The difficulty comes from being on the very edge - and that's incredibly difficult no matter where you're driving.

I guess I'm both cause I'm in it for all the glory.. I infield at Auto Club Speedway every year.. it's the party atmosphere I love, and when you go all the time like me you make friends so close it's like family
But I'm also in major love with the racing.. NASCAR is love, NASCAR is life.. As a spectator, to truly get a feeling for what it's like there are three places you need to experience a NASCAR oval race from.. From Pit Row, from the outfield when they come out a turn, and from the Infield when they come in to a turn.. That goes with any oval track.. it's how you really get to see what goes into racing an oval

Another way to understand NASCAR is to actually drive one on an oval

I did the Richard Petty driving experience at Auto Club and it was by the far one of the most exciting things I've ever done, before then I was just like most people, going just to go and party, see an action packed crash worthy race, but actually driving them things opened my eyes and it's just.. different mann.. I go to Willow Springs all the time (because it's only what 15 miles down the road?) and Racing there has nothing on my oval experience

to OP: Ovals aren't for everyone, but it's a differnet experience.. let them add 1 oval, do a 500 Mile race in a 33 car race, then come back and complain about the Oval fanboys.. you may still dislike it, but it's worth a try. Try to be understanding. I don't get why tons of people want street cars, it's not my forte.. but I understand that everyone has their own taste

MillsLayne
16-05-2015, 02:50
Ovals and road courses take two different skill sets, IMO. Both are hard, both take consistency and both definitely take finesse. Both are fun to watch, and both have drivers that are some of the best in the world. Don't ever let some of the aspects of NASCAR form your full opinion of oval racing, because it's great, too. I love NASCAR, but I don't agree with a lot of what they do as a governing body. A lot of the tracks now, along with the rules package of the cars, don't allow for the best racing, as you hear a lot of talk about "dirty air" and "aero tight". Drives me nuts, but it's not always like that. I just watched a Truck Series race with a photo finish at Charlotte, with the top 2 trucks racing side by side for the last few laps, and they did it CLEANLY. Plus, I feel like with oval racing, you're able to race against the other cars more so than on a road course, where you have to hit all of your marks while waiting for a good passing zone to make a move. I guess it just depends on what you look for in racing.

Manic DBB
16-05-2015, 03:12
I've been to a lot of races, and NHRA drag races are some of the most fun to attend.

I don't get paved ovals, either, but dirt ovals are fun.

I don't want any of it in this game, though.

IommiRULES
16-05-2015, 03:20
A common misconception from f1 roadcourse fans is that Oval racing is just "going around in circles".
First every track is different....some are similar, but besides turning left they can be vastly different.
The banking on some ovals gives you a "roller coaster feel" you can't get on any F1 flat track.
pack racing at over 200 mph is VERY thrilling....if someone makes a false move u can have 10-15 cars spinning out of control at over 200MPH, and this is common....in road course racing its usually in the corners when you get out of control at much lower speeds.
The Ovals are mostly wider....hence more 3 wide racing and different racing lines to choose from.

I'd say road course racing is more about braking going into corners and Ovals are more about momentum off the corners onto the straightaways....to put it simply.

IommiRULES
16-05-2015, 03:58
It has it's own nuances for sure. In road racing you may have to hit your marks for 50 laps and if you miss one you can usually make it up somewhere else. Some NASCAR races are 4-500 laps with half the field running within a tenth of each others lap times. Yeah, there's a lot of side by side racing which is intense, but I've always enjoyed the discipline it requires. A good sim such as iRacing or ARCA Sim racing (and others) reflect tire wear as they should. In oval racing, taking care of you tires during a long "stint" can really pay dividends. You've really got to run your pace but be ready to step up when it matters. Sound familiar? Also, in road racing there is essentially one line. The shortest way around the track, usually over the kurbs and wide to set up turn in. In oval racing even though the high line may be the longer way around, the car typically maintains RPM better since there is less parasitic speed loss due to friction,(having so slow down for mechanical grip) leading to higher straightaway speeds. This is partially what creates a lot of the side by side racing. Different lines on a wide track. In fact, oftentimes now when a track owner decides it's time to repave the track, they often do "progressive banking" which of course increases the angle of the track toward the wall.

There's a lot more to it than people realize. Sure, anyone can turn left, then turn left..and so on. But doing it around many other cars doing the same thing and trying to "find a way around" when you're running almost the exact same speed is the difference. Give it a try...it's fun as hell!

Yea I guess best way to describe it to road racers would be thus "think about long sweeping curves on a road course at high speed, one where you don't have to brake but you have to lift off and turn at the right times or you get loose hit a wall or another car....now think of the road being tilted so you can carry more speed into the corner and you have 8 cars doing the same thing around you in very close proximity"

blacknred81
16-05-2015, 04:20
There was a pretty good finish from the truck race tonight from what I have heard....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vexLchloBM

StalkerDellaNote
16-05-2015, 04:55
Off topic, but watching that race finish reminded me of my favorite part of going to NASCAR races.. listening to the scanner and hearing gems like the ones they compile into these thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbziZ5RYxAQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbziZ5RYxAQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8uekTPtUSo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8uekTPtUSo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74dGWU3A6Ag"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74dGWU3A6Ag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM1waOyHsxc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM1waOyHsxc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJjpbVCZbXU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJjpbVCZbXU

Khyber GT
16-05-2015, 05:46
born in the south, live in the south... hr and half from darlington and hr and half from charlotte...and i lived in both nc and sc where nascar all begin and runs deep. It's like in your blood type of thing.... I've been doing nascar sims since I was 8 years old with the first papy sim back in 94... while i love road racing...nothing gives me the thrill of door to door 200mph oval nascar racing where inches and mm matter 24/7. one slight move and shit just goes crazy!

it's not just simple as driving in circles, it's extremely strategic, and you need extreme patience.

with all that said nascar isn't what it used to be, but this season has been pretty good so far.

also when 43 cars go roaring by you at 200mph at the same time live in person.... and you feel it in your chest... it's just great

lancashirelad
16-05-2015, 06:25
Watch this https://youtu.be/6O4ZLzq5yqA
NASCAR ain't boring.

Khyber GT
16-05-2015, 14:13
Watch this https://youtu.be/6O4ZLzq5yqA
NASCAR ain't boring.

fixed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O4ZLzq5yqA&feature=youtu.be

IommiRULES
16-05-2015, 14:32
Yup! Us rednecks can party hard!

it's been a long time since Nascar was just for red necks...that's like saying people from the south are only ones who like country music....if that was the case they wouldn't sell many records!

Look at most recent champions:
Harvick-Cali
Johnson-Cali
Kaselowski-Michigan
Stewart-Indiana
Kurt Busch-Las Vegas
Matt Kenseth-Wisconsin
Jeff Gordon-Cali
Bobby Labonte -Texas
Finally, in 1999 16 years ago was the last confederate state Champion....Dale Jarret from North Carolina..
Even my Jersey homeboy Martin Truex Jr. is doin great this year on a very small 1 car team!

Khyber GT
16-05-2015, 14:50
well nascar is trying to reach the younger demographic now as well because all the old fans are dieing off lol

that was the point of the whole spongebob sponsored race last week

IommiRULES
16-05-2015, 15:30
well nascar is trying to reach the younger demographic now as well because all the old fans are dieing off lol

that was the point of the whole spongebob sponsored race last week

I'm sure they would have Geritol as long as they came up with the sponsorship money...which brings us back on topic. Project cars has no Nascar content because they couldn't afford (or wouldn't cough up) liscensing fees, we will get some downloadable oval tracks that Nascar and Indy car runs on down the road, but they will come at extra cost.

cloakdeath
16-05-2015, 18:04
fixed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O4ZLzq5yqA&feature=youtu.be

Wasn't very nice to elbow her!

JDFSSS
16-05-2015, 18:13
Stock car oval racing can be fun, as long as it's not daytona/talladega where you simply hold the throttle wide open and turn left all race. I used to have a lot of fun setting up the cars and learning to drive the optimal line for the track/set up back in the day on nascar 2003 from papyrus. I don't have much experience with sim drag racing and also don't think I would be very interested in it. Seems like it would be all about finding the best setup and have little or nothing to do with driver skill.

However, road racing on real tracks with left and right turns will always be superior for me.

Khyber GT
16-05-2015, 18:32
Stock car oval racing can be fun, as long as it's not daytona/talladega where you simply hold the throttle wide open and turn left all race. I

for the 40th fing time that is not what you do at talladega and daytona!!!!!!!!! if you do that you will NEVER have anyone to draft with...lead car has to constantly drag the brakes, everyone has to constantly drag the brakes or there will be noone to push...and there will be no draft and when in the draft if you don't lift you will ruin your race.

this is how it is with this drafting package and rules package with reduced horspower...cars are forced to ride the brakes at restrictor plate races or you will suck because the buy behind you will never catch up to draft with you

JDFSSS
16-05-2015, 18:41
the point is you don't have to slow down to make the corners, which is a pretty huge fundamental racing skill that is completely unused on those tracks. obviously when driving in traffic u can slow down to link up with a draft partner and you dont just hold it wide open 24/7 and crash into other cars. i didn't think that needed to be said.

Suburban Coot
16-05-2015, 18:50

You really need to experience going around an oval in real life or actually go to a race that's an oval to truly appreciate. Watching it on the tele or playing it on the tele are just not the same.

IommiRULES
16-05-2015, 20:02
the point is you don't have to slow down to make the corners, which is a pretty huge fundamental racing skill that is completely unused on those tracks. obviously when driving in traffic u can slow down to link up with a draft partner and you dont just hold it wide open 24/7 and crash into other cars. i didn't think that needed to be said.

It is true that restrictor plate racing is more based on luck than all other ovals (keeping your car clean, being there at the end, and having enough horse power) but there is an art to it. After all without plate racing when would Dale Jr ever win!

Shinzah
16-05-2015, 20:07
I would like to thank the English and the French for giving us circletrack racing. Including the greatest endurance races in the world.

The 24h Brooklands

And the 1000 km De Linas-Montlhéry

Without these, we might not have had banked circletrack racing.

Thank you England and France for making NASCAR possible <3

Mr Akina
16-05-2015, 20:11
and Monza lol

IommiRULES
16-05-2015, 20:19
I would like to thank the English and the French for giving us circletrack racing. Including the greatest endurance races in the world.

The 24h Brooklands

And the 1000 km De Linas-Montlhéry

Without these, we might not have had banked circletrack racing.

Thank you England and France for making NASCAR possible <3

are those tracks in project cars?

Khyber GT
16-05-2015, 21:29
It is true that restrictor plate racing is more based on luck than all other ovals (keeping your car clean, being there at the end, and having enough horse power) but there is an art to it. After all without plate racing when would Dale Jr ever win!

uhh he won 2 non restrictor plate races last year and 1 restrictor plate race. several top 5s this year at non plate tracks and 1 win at a plate track this year

lacslyer
16-05-2015, 21:54
The reason people tend to prefer ovals is because it's a different type of racing. Rather than being challenged by the track you're challenged by the other drivers. As others have said, the racing difference isn't translated well when simply watching an oval race. For instance, the majority of oval races you'll be racing with someone in front, beside and behind you a lot of the time. Compared to most other non-oval racing that's significantly more drivers challenging you over the course of a race. That's why people prefer it because it's a different type of racing when you're actually doing it yourself.

IommiRULES
16-05-2015, 22:10
The reason people tend to prefer ovals is because it's a different type of racing. Rather than being challenged by the track you're challenged by the other drivers. As others have said, the racing difference isn't translated well when simply watching an oval race. For instance, the majority of oval races you'll be racing with someone in front, beside and behind you a lot of the time. Compared to most other non-oval racing that's significantly more drivers challenging you over the course of a race. That's why people prefer it because it's a different type of racing when you're actually doing it yourself.

shit...I watched the F1 race at monte carlo last year NOT ONE LEAD CHANGE. If you call that"exciting" well....I got a bridge in Brooklyn I wanna sell you. But I think that's neither here nor there....project cars should have American cars and tracks represented more as a whole....period....after all IT IS the biggest consumer market...the game is to euro centric...but it is a great race sim nonetheless and I am happy with my purchase.

lacslyer
16-05-2015, 22:23
shit...I watched the F1 race at monte carlo last year NOT ONE LEAD CHANGE. If you call that"exciting" well....I got a bridge in Brooklyn I wanna sell you. But I think that's neither here nor there....project cars should have American cars and tracks represented more as a whole....period....after all IT IS the biggest consumer market...the game is to euro centric...but it is a great race sim nonetheless and I am happy with my purchase.

As I said, it's all a matter of what you prefer and there's nothing wrong with enjoying or disliking the variances in racing. That's why the variances exist, but you shouldn't mock or belittle a form of racing you don't find enjoyable, as that's just ignorance in the realization that people like different things.

I'd argue as well though, just because a market is the largest market doesn't mean a game should attempt to cater to that market. Mario Kart obviously sold considerably more than this game has, but does that mean this game should attempt to appeal to the wide scope of gamers as Mario Kart did or would it be better served sticking to what it's more dedicated fanbase would prefer? This is without a doubt a niche game and catering to a wider audience isn't necessarily a good thing for niche games.

IommiRULES
16-05-2015, 22:36
uhh he won 2 non restrictor plate races last year and 1 restrictor plate race. several top 5s this year at non plate tracks and 1 win at a plate track this year

ok.....but there is 4 plate races and 32 non plate races....Dale is a good plate racer,....just leave it at that.

ex_
16-05-2015, 22:37
appreciate where you are coming from. I am American and used to think the same thing.

It can really be summed up in as much as, "cuz, try it!" (especially online with people you like racing with and who can control their cars)

That is a lot of elements to get just right for ovals in a game to be the way they should be, but when it comes together it can be as much fun as anything else.

Roger Lee
16-05-2015, 22:37
Those of us from iRacing that have competed in upper A class races understand how hard it is to drive these Sprint Cup cars. I think a lot of people just think its an easy drive and try to equate it with the grip you have in a GT car on an oval. IT'S totally different!!

Oval cars are on the EDGE of grip throughout the entire corner. That's why you see them break traction so easy while cornering. It's easy to set back and say "how hard can that be?" Believe me it is extremely difficult if running a sim that does it correctly. So far
only two sims have ever gotten close for me. That's iRacing and the SCE stock car mod for rFactor 1.

Ever wonder why Champions and multiple race winners come from European or Australian road racing series and fail miserably in NASCAR ovals? It's because it takes much more skill than it looks on TV. You must be able to hang the ass out, while cornering at 170 mph and
"feel" the grip coming and going. Not to mention, having to do it with 43 others around you.

It's hard to explain, but it is a very satisfying and difficult form of racing to master. It's 90 percent mechanical grip and 10 aero.

IommiRULES
16-05-2015, 22:41
As I said, it's all a matter of what you prefer and there's nothing wrong with enjoying or disliking the variances in racing. That's why the variances exist, but you shouldn't mock or belittle a form of racing you don't find enjoyable, as that's just ignorance in the realization that people like different things.

I'd argue as well though, just because a market is the largest market doesn't mean a game should attempt to cater to that market. Mario Kart obviously sold considerably more than this game has, but does that mean this game should attempt to appeal to the wide scope of gamers as Mario Kart did or would it be better served sticking to what it's more dedicated fanbase would prefer? This is without a doubt a niche game and catering to a wider audience isn't necessarily a good thing for niche games.

well I don't car if its hamster racing....not one lead change is boring.

Roger Lee
16-05-2015, 22:46
ok.....but there is 4 plate races and 32 non plate races....Dale is a good plate racer,....just leave it at that.

Maybe you forgot about his two wins at Poncono last year, as well as Martinsville? (on top of the Daytona 500).

I don't know why people give him so much grief. He has accomplished a lot in his career. He's won 24 career races, including 2 Daytona 500's. He won 2 races and the million dollar all-star race in his rookie season. Back to back Busch series champ and he's like
number 31 on the all time win list.

What more does the guy have to do? Is he a Jeff Gordon, Dale Sr. or Jimmie Johnson? Of course not, but how many others out there will ever strive for that level either?

He's a good race car driver but people hold him up against the impossible standard of his dad.

Other than Kyle Petty in his early years, and Dale Jr, NONE of the other famous kids ever amounted to anything in the sport, including the Andretti and Foyt kids.

IommiRULES
16-05-2015, 22:47
Those of us from iRacing that have competed in upper A class races understand how hard it is to drive these Sprint Cup cars. I think a lot of people just think its an easy drive and try to equate it with the grip you have in a GT car on an oval. IT'S totally different!!

Oval cars are on the EDGE of grip throughout the entire corner. That's why you see them break traction so easy while cornering. It's easy to set back and say "how hard can that be?" Believe me it is extremely difficult if running a sim that does it correctly. So far
only two sims have ever gotten close for me. That's iRacing and the SCE stock car mod for rFactor 1.

Ever wonder why Champions and multiple race winners come from European or Australian road racing series and fail miserably in NASCAR ovals? It's because it takes much more skill than it looks on TV. You must be able to hang the ass out, while cornering at 170 mph and
"feel" the grip coming and going. Not to mention, having to do it with 43 others around you.

It's hard to explain, but it is a very satisfying and difficult form of racing to master. It's 90 percent mechanical grip and 10 aero.

Yep, just ask juan Pablo Montoya...Tony Stewart is one of the few to make the successful transition from open wheel...but that dude could drive a cock roach and win...and apparently its easier to make a good roadcourse game than oval too..

Roger Lee
16-05-2015, 22:50
Yep, just ask juan Pablo Montoya...Tony Stewart is one of the few to make the successful transition from open wheel...but that dude could drive a cock roach and win...and apparently its easier to make a good roadcourse game than oval too..

You have that 100% right :)

I will say that when we had ovals about a year ago in pCARS, it felt pretty damn good and the AI was the best I've raced against. I'm excited for what SMS might accomplish with it.

IommiRULES
16-05-2015, 22:53
Maybe you forgot about his two wins at Poncono last year, as well as Martinsville? (on top of the Daytona 500).

I don't know why people give him so much grief. He has accomplished a lot in his career. He's won 24 career races, including 2 Daytona 500's. He won 2 races and the million dollar all-star race in his rookie season. Back to back Busch series champ and he's like
number 31 on the all time win list.

What more does the guy have to do? Is he a Jeff Gordon, Dale Sr. or Jimmie Johnson? Of course not, but how many others out there will ever strive for that level either?

He's a good race car driver but people hold him up against the impossible standard of his dad.

Other than Kyle Petty in his early years, and Dale Jr, NONE of the other famous kids ever amounted to anything in the sport, including the Andretti and Foyt kids.

Hes a solid top 10 guy...but he hasn't really came close to a championship yet,,,, and he aint getting no younger...I think hes a cool guy, but that doesn't win championships. I personally dont care what his dad did, but u think with all his fans he would be Jimmie Johnson

Roger Lee
16-05-2015, 22:58
Hes a solid top 10 guy...but he hasn't really came close to a championship yet,,,, and he aint getting no younger...I think hes a cool guy, but that doesn't win championships. I personally dont care what his dad did, but u think with all his fans he would be Jimmie Johnson

If they would have had this championship layout two years ago he would have been the champ. He finished 4th in the championship that year and beat the other 3 in the last race at Homestead. The way it works now he would have been the champ.

So he's not that far off.

A lot of Dale Jr's appeal is his humility. He could have grown up an entitled ass hat and act like he deserves everything, but he didn't. He still acts like an everyday person and people respect that about him. It's easy to jump on board the fan wagon of the guy who wins
the most. Dale's fans stick with him even through the really bad performing years. That says something about his character.

IommiRULES
16-05-2015, 23:10
You have that 100% right :)

I will say that when we had ovals about a year ago in pCARS, it felt pretty damn good and the AI was the best I've raced against. I'm excited for what SMS might accomplish with it.

So what u think .....$5 for a 3 track add on?....hmmmm besides the obvious Daytona and indy id like Darlington, Charlotte and Michigan.....

blacknred81
16-05-2015, 23:59
So what u think .....$5 for a 3 track add on?....hmmmm besides the obvious Daytona and indy id like Darlington, Charlotte and Michigan.....

Indy will most likely come with the Indycars DLC when that comes out. So it being in an oval DLC would be pointless

Was it only Indianapolis? Because the other tracks (Daytona, Bristol,Dover,Charlotte, Richmond) all looked Incomplete and not really race ready....

Khyber GT
17-05-2015, 00:39
If you haven't yall should really try iRacing. you can manage it by getting on their $50 a year sales and only buy the cars and the tracks you want to run and it's really no more expensive than any other $60 games you buy every month or two or every couple months. it's a very hard and requires a lot of patience but it is extremely rewarding

IommiRULES
17-05-2015, 00:43
[QUOTE=blacknred81;918102]Indy will most likely come with the Indycars DLC when that comes out. So it being in an oval DLC would be pointless
Well obviously you don't have to have an "indy car" to drive on Indianapolis motor speedway... they have several open wheel cars and one generic stock car, which im guessing are both default tuned to roadcourses. Im talking the brand new ps4 disc here. So far the only DLC for ps4 that I see are a free car....free liveries, and 2.99 for a 5 car pack....I guess it all depends if SMS wants to sell DLC piecemeal...or in larger more expensive expansion packs.

F2kSel
17-05-2015, 01:24
If you haven't yall should really try iRacing. you can manage it by getting on their $50 a year sales and only buy the cars and the tracks you want to run and it's really no more expensive than any other $60 games you buy every month or two or every couple months. it's a very hard and requires a lot of patience but it is extremely rewarding

I had 6 months free on a promotion a while back but only ever had half a dozen races, the GUI just seemed to keep sending me around in circles I couldn't make sense of it.

cloakdeath
17-05-2015, 15:04

I like f1, and in my opinion it's the worst track ever... Emphasises everything wrong with f1.

Willbert07
17-05-2015, 16:22
Oval racing is a different kettle of fish. It's all about pace and consistency, whilst often wheel to wheel with a large field of cars. It's about strategy, when to push, when to pit and when to hold off to save fuel and tires.

It's fast, and very dangerous.

It terms on gaming, it really depends on the game itself. Some NASCAR games have been excellent ( the Papyrus ones), some have been ok, such as the recent Eutechnyx series.

In my opinion, it's not the same without having the full NASCAR licence. The thing I enjoy about it most is knowing the different drivers (WAR Kyle Bush) and their styles and trying to compete with them. I'd imagine it would get a little dull if if didn't have that sort of edge to it. I'd enjoy it online though.

Willbert07
17-05-2015, 16:24
Indy will most likely come with the Indycars DLC when that comes out. So it being in an oval DLC would be pointless

Was it only Indianapolis? Because the other tracks (Daytona, Bristol,Dover,Charlotte, Richmond) all looked Incomplete and not really race ready....

If there's one NASCAR track I wouldn't want in this game, it's Bristol. It'd be a nightmare to race online. Shame, because the stadium and track itself is brilliant.

k.merse
17-05-2015, 20:15
American racing demands a different kind of attitude. Personally I like it just as I love F1. In Indycar or in NASCAR you try to keep your momentum, you try to slingshot yourself around your opponent, but you must keep in mind that you have to maintain your momentum even after you made the pass because your opponent will be in your draft and if you're too slow, within 2 laps you'll be falling back. Meanwhile you must consider it that sometimes it worth more to pass a few laps behind your opponents because you may spare an extra pit-stop with your fuel/tyres if another full-course yellow comes up.
In short: While European/RotW racing is about beating every opponent individually and making your pre-determined strategy to work, in US racing it's about continuous adaption to the new situations where you must consider everyone on the track, even the lapped cars. In F1 you won't consider backmakers as factors in a race you're leading, but on an oval you do because of the "two cars are faster than one" effect.

Francorchamps
17-05-2015, 20:48
When I think of ovals I only can think of Cartman

I'm not poor and stupid enough to be an awesome NASCAR driver :cool:

Poor and Stupid (http://southpark.cc.com/full-episodes/s14e08-poor-and-stupid) :cool:

Francorchamps
17-05-2015, 21:05

Monte Carlo is the most boring track on the calendar. It's almost impossible to see a lot of changes there.

Project Cars is indeed euroentric but come on, does everything needs to be americanized? What's next? Fifa needs to incorporate American Football because the USA is the biggest consumer market? I'm glad to see a game that is more in touch with my surroundings than the number 300 racing game that is filled with all those american cars and only a few european cars.

Vosegus
17-05-2015, 21:16
lol nothing like group B rally cars

blacknred81
17-05-2015, 21:46
If there's one NASCAR track I wouldn't want in this game, it's Bristol. It'd be a nightmare to race online. Shame, because the stadium and track itself is brilliant.

Well, with all the work on the Grandstands I have seen from Pre release build of PCARS, I'm gonna say that it will be in a future DLC, but I bet hardly anyone would race it online in public lobbies anyway.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEIvybsCxTE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AbeFusXro8

_SOUR
17-05-2015, 22:18
i never understood oval racing , until i tried it in iracing i still didn't understand at first ,but when you race for a while it gives something that road racing normally doesn't happen and that is close racing , restarts , pit strategy , and not such a huge skill gap..

These are my experiences results may vary!! lol

CustomInternals
17-05-2015, 22:30
I can see where adding oval racing would be a nice addition for some users but not drag racing. That's coming from a pretty avid drag racer in the Forza 3/4 days too. Purely because there's no upgrading in this game. To me it seems rather pointless but I wouldn't be angry if they added it either. I just wouldn't do it myself. Each discipline has it's skillset and reasons why people enjoy it. I myself enjoy road racing/time attack the most but IRL have only done drag racing. I'm hoping to finally do some autox events and track days next year but as of now I have no experience in them. My main goal for next year is actually to enter the Global Time Attack event at Road Atlanta. Which is probably why most of my time so far has been spent trying to "perfect" specific cars on specific tracks. It's just something about man and machine being 100% on the edge the whole lap trying to get the fastest time that excites me. To be honest I could see where it could be looked at the same as other "boring" disciplines for a lot of people. It's not wheel to wheel racing like most other motorsports. I myself can't watch NASCAR or Drag Racing on TV but I do enjoy drag racing my own car IRL. To be honest I can't watch most motorsports on TV at all. I'm just one of those people that would rather be doing it than watching it. Hence the reason I play racing games/PCars. To each his/her own but no additional content will ever be shunned by me. I may wish they had put their valuable time elsewhere but I won't bash it. If it gets added, then there's someone out there enjoying it. Just like I might enjoy another aspect of the game. The same thing could be said about certain cars/tracks. Just my .02

IommiRULES
18-05-2015, 18:55
Monte Carlo is the most boring track on the calendar. It's almost impossible to see a lot of changes there.

Project Cars is indeed euroentric but come on, does everything needs to be americanized? What's next? Fifa needs to incorporate American Football because the USA is the biggest consumer market? I'm glad to see a game that is more in touch with my surroundings than the number 300 racing game that is filled with all those american cars and only a few european cars.

Well if I was buying a game called "F1 racing" I would expect it to be euro centric. But Project Cars isn't Called "road course racer" and it should be more universal IMHO. I'm sure we will get some Ovals, we will just have to pay extra.....from what I understand it's just harder to recreate oval racing on a vid game. dunno maybe because its 43 car pack racing or its just harder to recreate the different tracks. The UK company that tried the last nascar series certainly didn't impress, and has since sold the rights I believe.

That being said if the oval cars/tracks are not ready for release I applaud them for waiting and not putting out bullshit...but its gonna cost us American race fans more money for the DLC.

IommiRULES
18-05-2015, 19:22
i never understood oval racing , until i tried it in iracing i still didn't understand at first ,but when you race for a while it gives something that road racing normally doesn't happen and that is close racing , restarts , pit strategy , and not such a huge skill gap..

These are my experiences results may vary!! lol

Yes the prevalence of yellow flags and restarts puts a premium on pit strategy in oval racing....or perhaps not pitting at all and rolling the dice on old tires and less fuel...but you have to know what tracks eat tires and when you may expect the NEXT yellow.

kjay
18-05-2015, 21:15
I was always more of a road racing fan. As such, I too was ignorant of what it was like to race ovals. I was never really a fan of Nascar but when I tried NR2003 I became hooked on it for several years. Although it may look like a simplistic form of racing, it definitely requires a set of skills to complete at a high level. The racing is high speed, bumper to bumper and side by side. Mistakes are disastrous.. There are more lead changes and passing in general than you would ever find in any form of road racing.

lacslyer
18-05-2015, 21:25
Well if I was buying a game called "F1 racing" I would expect it to be euro centric. But Project Cars isn't Called "road course racer" and it should be more universal IMHO. I'm sure we will get some Ovals, we will just have to pay extra.....from what I understand it's just harder to recreate oval racing on a vid game. dunno maybe because its 43 car pack racing or its just harder to recreate the different tracks. The UK company that tried the last nascar series certainly didn't impress, and has since sold the rights I believe.

That being said if the oval cars/tracks are not ready for release I applaud them for waiting and not putting out bullshit...but its gonna cost us American race fans more money for the DLC.

So because of the name of this game you assume that it should have more universal appeal compared to what it aimed for? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for adding variety to the racing in the game, but your argument as to why it should be included doesn't make sense.

As well, as someone else mentioned, not everything needs to be "Americanized" just to appeal to a wider audience.

Helmethead1031
18-05-2015, 22:02
I can sum it up very simply: We Americans prefer to only make left turns! :)

Shinzah
18-05-2015, 23:23
So because of the name of this game you assume that it should have more universal appeal compared to what it aimed for? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for adding variety to the racing in the game, but your argument as to why it should be included doesn't make sense.

As well, as someone else mentioned, not everything needs to be "Americanized" just to appeal to a wider audience.

Here is a reason that makes more sense. America is a massive consumer market. They have consumer wants and consumer needs. They are in the top three of gaming markets on the planet and also host the single-day largest attendance motorsports event on the planet, which happens to be on an oval.

So in this case, it is not hard to see why developers support American consumers and American cues. This game is a worldwide release. And it needs to appeal worldwide in order to be successful. It's not about "durrdurryamericanizedeverything" its about economic stability and survival.

Francorchamps
18-05-2015, 23:27

If you would buy a video game called F1 racing you would not be buying a euro-centric game. You would be buying a world-centric game. It's not because F1 is not popular in the US that it is euro-centric. Fifa is such another title that is popular all over the world except in the USA. The USA is not the world and it is not because a game is not popular in the USA that it will sell less than games that are popular in the USA. You have games about sports almost nobody cares about outside the USA like Madden, Nascar, NBA, ... What if we all chipped in on ideas to make those games more attractive for people outside the USA? Let's start with Madden. To almost all people outside the USA a ball is round and a foot is the thing underneath your leg and since you play that game with an egg shaped object and you use your hands instead of your feet to move the ball, the appropriate name for that sports would be Hand Egg. So let's start calling Madden NFL American Hand Egg. Much less confusing. Shall we start globalizing all your games or can we have out euro-centric game?

Also: The game is called Project Community Assisted Racing Simulator. Project CARS in short. Don't mistake it for Project Cars.

IommiRULES
18-05-2015, 23:56
Here is a reason that makes more sense. America is a massive consumer market. They have consumer wants and consumer needs. They are in the top three of gaming markets on the planet and also host the single-day largest attendance motorsports event on the planet, which happens to be on an oval.

So in this case, it is not hard to see why developers support American consumers and American cues. This game is a worldwide release. And it needs to appeal worldwide in order to be successful. It's not about "durrdurryamericanizedeverything" its about economic stability and survival.

Right I agree. I think that's what project cars IS aiming for....but I guess it couldn't be delayed YET AGAIN to fit in more Tracks/cars...and don't get me wrong I didn't buy it expecting to get a NASCAR or Indycar game, as the one poster suggests. I WANT the road courses and BMW's and Mercedes....But I Also want Chevys and Ovals....

Francorchamps
19-05-2015, 00:10

That attitude says enough. A game does not need American consumers or American cues to be successful. You guys think because you don't get it the rest of the world is not getting it either? I have big news for you. Almost nobody in the world loves your football game. They prefer soccer. So yes games like Fifa are very popular without needing cues from American consumers.

I really hope they delay the ovals for another six months and give us the European retro tracks with even more European retro cars.

lacslyer
19-05-2015, 00:16

I never said I didn't understand why developers would cater to a specific audience. I explained that not all games need to cater to an audience to be successful. The majority of non-triple A games don't need to sell millions in order to make considerable profits. Furthermore, what the person I quoted complains about is practically negated by this game being one of the top sellers for 2 weeks. It doesn't need to be "Americanized" in order to be successful, it already is successful.

To add, I'm an American and fully understand what he's trying to get at, but completely disagree that this game needs it. Not all games need to appeal to a mass audience in order to be successful, and expecting that catering is arrogant and foolish. Especially when the game is already a massive success when it comes to sales. As I said, I more than welcome more diverse types of racing for this game, but that arrogance that came with his comment is what I took offense to, as an American.

madmax2069
19-05-2015, 00:38

Agreed.

Shinzah
19-05-2015, 00:48
That attitude says enough. A game does not need American consumers or American cues to be successful. You guys think because you don't get it the rest of the world is not getting it either? I have big news for you. Almost nobody in the world loves your football game. They prefer soccer. So yes games like Fifa are very popular without needing cues from American consumers.

I really hope they delay the ovals for another six months and give us the European retro tracks with even more European retro cars.

I do not appreciate your radically biased attitude towards this continent. The developer wants people in this market to buy this title and so they are going to use popular things in this market to sell this title. But just so we are VERY VERY clear. EA and FIFA have very strong ties to the MLS. That is to say...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8vCJZeW2LA

I guess FIFA and EA didn't NEED to do this to appeal to the American soccer fans, either.

IommiRULES
19-05-2015, 00:58
I never said I didn't understand why developers would cater to a specific audience. I explained that not all games need to cater to an audience to be successful. The majority of non-triple A games don't need to sell millions in order to make considerable profits. Furthermore, what the person I quoted complains about is practically negated by this game being one of the top sellers for 2 weeks. It doesn't need to be "Americanized" in order to be successful, it already is successful.

To add, I'm an American and fully understand what he's trying to get at, but completely disagree that this game needs it. Not all games need to appeal to a mass audience in order to be successful, and expecting that catering is arrogant and foolish. Especially when the game is already a massive success when it comes to sales. As I said, I more than welcome more diverse types of racing for this game, but that arrogance that came with his comment is what I took offense to, as an American.

Well yea the point of the forum in my eyes is we ALREADY HAVE a bevy of road tracks and Euro cars in the game... so lets get them to work on getting out some ovals and American cars. that's all. Its not an argument over F1 vs NASCAR vs Indycar. Its about freedom of choice.

IommiRULES
19-05-2015, 02:33
If you would buy a video game called F1 racing you would not be buying a euro-centric game. You would be buying a world-centric game. It's not because F1 is not popular in the US that it is euro-centric. Fifa is such another title that is popular all over the world except in the USA. The USA is not the world and it is not because a game is not popular in the USA that it will sell less than games that are popular in the USA. You have games about sports almost nobody cares about outside the USA like Madden, Nascar, NBA, ... What if we all chipped in on ideas to make those games more attractive for people outside the USA? Let's start with Madden. To almost all people outside the USA a ball is round and a foot is the thing underneath your leg and since you play that game with an egg shaped object and you use your hands instead of your feet to move the ball, the appropriate name for that sports would be Hand Egg. So let's start calling Madden NFL American Hand Egg. Much less confusing. Shall we start globalizing all your games or can we have out euro-centric game?

Also: The game is called Project Community Assisted Racing Simulator. Project CARS in short. Don't mistake it for Project Cars.

Your analogy of comparing Football to soccer is like comparing Motorsports to....Horse racing.

SIlMPLIClITY
19-05-2015, 04:46
Okay, I see this thread is already off the rails. But I really want to see if someone will answer this question.

Why are there stock cars that are meant to be raced on ovals put into a game where there are a no ovals and roads/tracks with a lot of slow corners. Stock cars like you see in NASCAR can't turn, whatsoever. They are designed to go at high speeds and make gentle turns around the sides of the ovals. I decided to take some of the stock cars and it was the worst feeling ever, it was unnecessarily difficult to drive them on the tracks. I'm really unsure as to why the developers did not add an oval or any other NASCAR type track if they decided to add these types of cars.

Shinzah
19-05-2015, 05:07
Okay, I see this thread is already off the rails. But I really want to see if someone will answer this question.

Why are there stock cars that are meant to be raced on ovals put into a game where there are a no ovals and roads/tracks with a lot of slow corners. Stock cars like you see in NASCAR can't turn, whatsoever. They are designed to go at high speeds and make gentle turns around the sides of the ovals. I decided to take some of the stock cars and it was the worst feeling ever, it was unnecessarily difficult to drive them on the tracks. I'm really unsure as to why the developers did not add an oval or any other NASCAR type track if they decided to add these types of cars.

Cars similar to the the caper (which is the only stock car currently) in the game has run at some tracks in it, in competition.

Not all Stock Cars compete on ovals. Such a car can't really be "Designed for ovals". American stock car racing is primarily ovals. However stock car racing in Mexico and South America seem to primarily run on road courses.

They also turn fine, as expected for a car that weighs nearly a tonne and a half by design. Stock cars are actually a very popular choice in club divisions that allow them. For example, a Silverado Stock Truck regularly runs the 25h Thunderhill and you can see multiple stock cars in track days and club level events that don't participate in racing on ovals. In actual fact, old stock cars are often ruled out of racing on ovals and become re-purposed as road track cars. Which is very easy to do.

That said. Ovals will be coming to Project Cars. In addition to at least one marque of modern stock car.

In actual fact, a the design of modern stock cars isn't really maximizing the efficiency of oval racing at all. In the end, it is still a car, and while you can be liberal in making camber and suspension adjustments in them there are multiple non-oval motorsports with similar cars and similar suspension geometries.

blacknred81
19-05-2015, 05:24
I'm really unsure as to why the developers did not add an oval or any other NASCAR type track if they decided to add these types of cars.
Umm Sonoma? Watkins Glen? Road America? All of those are on the NASCAR Schedule right now either in Sprint Cup or the Xfinity series

likewise
19-05-2015, 05:49
NASCAR and IndyCar racing on an oval is great fun, not only can you have three wide in a corner at 200+mph but you are constantly in traffic.
The ovals themselves also are quite different to race from a sprint track like Bristol (1/2 mile) to Talladega Superspeedway (2.6 miles) giving
you a pretty steep learning curve ( you would most likely be surprised how hard it is to keep the car out of the wall!). I would love to see an
oval (Talladega) with some NASCAR's in the game so you could see what the fuss is all about:)

IommiRULES
19-05-2015, 06:01
Umm Sonoma? Watkins Glen? Road America? All of those are on the NASCAR Schedule right now either in Sprint Cup or the Xfinity series

Right plus they have cars in the game that are pretty much soccer mom cars, its debatable if they should even be on any race track. My Pontiac Grandprix road car could beat them, but they are still fun to drive...its just the ovals are a) not ready yet (car physics engine or the tracks themselves) or b) being held back in a business decision to get more money from DLC.

Neil Hopwood
19-05-2015, 06:17
Right plus they have cars in the game that are pretty much soccer mom cars, its debatable if they should even be on any race track. My Pontiac Grandprix road car could beat them, but they are still fun to drive...its just the ovals are a) not ready yet (car physics engine or the tracks themselves) or b) being held back in a business decision to get more money from DLC.

The ovals were not finished. Couple were close. Really wasn't worth putting in one oval.

Plus there was some oval specific AI stuff that I think still needed doing.

Francorchamps
19-05-2015, 09:37
Your analogy of comparing Football to soccer is like comparing Motorsports to....Horse racing.

Indeed so stop calling,it football and call it Hand Egg. Soccer = Football.

Khyber GT
19-05-2015, 13:30
i don't think yall realize we really don't care if you don't like our football? just as we don't care about soccer until it's world cup time for men and women. In which we have one of the best female soccer teams in the world... I mean i guess last world cup we got 2nd and won the olympics soooo for a country who gives two shits less about soccer we're doing alright.....we also really don't care if you don't like our nascar. There are more than enough americans that support the nfl and nascar and enough money being thrown around to where we don't need to rest of the world's support. Hell even our wwe only goes over to europe just for fan service.

Aldo Zampatti
19-05-2015, 15:41
Chill down a notch guys, please. Keep it civilized

Umer Ahmad
19-05-2015, 15:50
Haha, we've descended into a soccer v football debate now?! Come on guys. Back to game discussion or we can close this thread too.

Lotusnut
19-05-2015, 17:55
Thanks -Umer-Ahmad. Agreed the post has gone way off track (excuse the pun). Football and soccer are both games for little girls. Now rugby on the other hand, there's a mans game. :)
So as OP I'll try to bring it back. Some very valid and interesting points, I've definitely learned some new things. The only problem is, I think most people have missed the point (except everyone who says no to digital drag racing). I have no doubt that driving a REAL nascar car is both exhilarating and extremely difficult. I'd also imagine it's an absolute blast to watch live.
Still though, when I've seen it on TV (I know it will but not meant to create controversy) well, it sucks! Literally watching cars drive in a circle. Exciting for five minutes and then...... So the OP was, how does this transfer into a game. Is it really fun? I mean let's be honest if I'm doing 200mph on my Xbox and spin out, it's more frustrating than frightening.
In real life I've raced track (well and drags, but never on the street of course because that would be illegal:beguiled:) and it's still fun on an Xbox. Can work on lines breaking points etc, but it's obviously not the same thing. The thrill and mostly the fear are missing, but you can still challenge yourself.
Has anyone driven an actual car on an oval, would love to hear comparisons.

Vitamin R
28-05-2015, 23:49
Every circuit makes a circle. Even a road course. Once I memorize the speeds for every turn in a road course (Silverstone for example) it becomes just like driving on an oval. Rhythm is everything. Besides, North America has some of the best road courses in the world: Road Atlanta, Sebring, Road America, Sonoma, Watkins Glen, Laguna Seca, etc.

Kruleworld
29-05-2015, 00:12
this year, nascar is on pay-tv only...damn.
but last season i watched every race, mostly because Ambrose was driving (the only australian in the field). I found it was a lot more strategic than other forms of racing, as they have so many pit stops they have a lot of scope to adjust the car and try different things in the setup. drivers can lead for 80% of the race, then struggle to keep up. unfortunately some recent nascar games didn't really capture that magic.

cerbrus2
29-05-2015, 00:12
When I went to the states on holiday, we where their to catch the Taladaga race, I think it was one of the fastest the Americans use, until they restricted the cars top ends. But standing next to the catch fencing when the 40+ cars come roaring past, takes your breath away, I mean that in the real sense it sucks the air out your lungs lol. Wile it may not look that amazing on TV, and the overtakes look pretty much straight forward, you have to remember these are doing nearly 200mph a few inches from each other's bumper, and only takes a slightly harsh wheel movement to scrub off enough speed to loose 10 places.
I have always said that the best spectator sports are those in the lower leagues. D&M and touring cars are amazing to watch, as our some of the junior vinegar classes and cup races. f1 is slowly turning into a fast advertising parade now a days. I can honestly say their have been two races that I actually enjoyed in the past 6 years in F1 and that's it.

As for Drag racing. No it's not an exciting sport to watch on TV, neither will it be great to drive in the game. As the game can't even simulate wet tyres properly never mined what it needs to for drag racing. Drag racing again is one of those sports that needs to be seen, smelled and made death in most cases. You just can't comprehend nascar and drag racing without experiencing it first hand.

apexatspeed
29-05-2015, 00:17
I have been to a NASCAR race at Talladega (A NASCAR heaven) and ovals bore me to death. I don't watch IndyCar racing when they do it on oval tracks. Except this Indy 500 because I am interested in the 2015 aero kits.

Sincerely,

An American.

the stig.
29-05-2015, 03:18
I can't wait for the Oval tracks and the fusion cup car dlc. Daytona, Indy, Bristol, Richmond, Charlotte and Dover.

*drools*

AP200
02-06-2015, 01:19
... So the OP was, how does this transfer into a game. Is it really fun? I mean let's be honest if I'm doing 200mph on my Xbox and spin out, it's more frustrating than frightening.
In real life I've raced track (well and drags, but never on the street of course because that would be illegal:beguiled:) and it's still fun on an Xbox. Can work on lines breaking points etc, but it's obviously not the same thing. The thrill and mostly the fear are missing, but you can still challenge yourself.
Has anyone driven an actual car on an oval, would love to hear comparisons.

First, if you like how racing is on a road course, I'd suggest watching Indycar on an oval over NASCAR. NASCAR racing on an oval is usually pack racing (Not always) whereas Indycar racing on an oval is more like road course racing where you have to build up momentum and speed to catch the guy in front of you and then time your pass and decide whether to pass on the inside or outside. I'm not saying it takes more skill than passing in a pack, I just think it's more like the racing flow on a road course.

I haven't driven on an oval my self but I've ridden in a Camaro and the two-seater at Milwaukee and both times it felt like the car was ready to let go and spin into the wall so the challenge is to drive the car on the limit. The sensation I felt in the car was the same sensation I perceive to feel when I drive through Pouhon at Spa.

But I will say that road course racing in a video game is more fun than oval racing, but oval racing is still fun nevertheless.

Schnizz58
02-06-2015, 16:01
I just don't get it!
Beats me mate. I'm an American and I don't get it either. I watch all the motorsports on TV that I can, IndyCar, F1, GT, WEC, rally car when I can find it. But I don't bother with NASCAR or drag racing. I didn't even watch the Indy 500 last month. Maybe I'm just un-American, lol.

funknerraw
02-06-2015, 17:36
Still though, when I've seen it on TV (I know it will but not meant to create controversy) well, it sucks! Literally watching people kick a ball back and forth up and down a field. Exciting when they take a shot every five minutes and then......

Fixed it for you... lol j/k but lots of people feel the same way about soccer (or football, whatever you want to call it). As they say, different strokes for different folks.

GT_Racing
02-06-2015, 17:38
Beats me mate. I'm an American and I don't get it either. I watch all the motorsports on TV that I can, IndyCar, F1, GT, WEC, rally car when I can find it. But I don't bother with NASCAR or drag racing. I didn't even watch the Indy 500 last month. Maybe I'm just un-American, lol.

Im with you dude.

koda.72
02-06-2015, 18:21
I live in Indy and cant stand ovals. How's that for irony? Drag racing is amazing to watch in person but doesn't translate to TV or games. Now the Indy road course... that is my favorite track of all!

jsydave
02-06-2015, 18:32
I'd love to see ovals but really can't see the point of drag racing in-game. Ovals really have a tricky skill to drive at a high level and require a lot of set up work. I think they lend themselves very well to the game and personally I can't wait. They require really delicate handling to not scrub off speed by turning the wheels and being able to hold a reasonably steady throttle level to not upset balance in the turns. It's a very different and real all set.

And in Forza I was half decent on them. And really that's reason enough isn't it ;-)

apexatspeed
02-06-2015, 18:44
I live in Indy and cant stand ovals. How's that for irony? Drag racing is amazing to watch in person but doesn't translate to TV or games. Now the Indy road course... that is my favorite track of all!

I feel you. As someone who lives close to Talladega and Barber I can't stand ovals, but love Barber Motorsports Park. I have been to races at both and BMP is way better. I enjoyed the hell out of the Indy Grand Prix this year though. I enjoyed it way more than the Indy 500, which will be the only oval race I will watch this year.

Schnizz58
02-06-2015, 19:56
Yeah, the Indy GP race is a different thing altogether! I've found that it's a lot of fun to watch a race on a track that you've sim-driven before. "Ohhhhhh, so THAT'S how you're supposed to take Eau Rouge!"

HBR-Roadhog
02-06-2015, 20:21
I'm not what you would say a Nascar fan but there is appeal in it and excitement. For one thing if you go to a live race you can see pretty much everything that happens on the short tracks unlike Lemans where you only see the action that happens in the small area you can actually see. The racing is fast, the cars run close and there are some major crashes quite often. I have been to one race live at Bristol but it was actually a boring one. Not one crash and the lead never changed hands in fact I think the top 3 were the same through the entire race. That of course is very unusal for Bristol.

I have also been to drag races and I find those quite interesting to watch both live and on TV they take only a few seconds each and you get to see lots of amazing cars more than any other race event, especially so it you go to watch the time trials. I've also did a bit of drag racing IRL and it is quite a thrill it only lasts a few seconds but they can be intense. As for doing it in a video game I have no interest at all in that.

If I am going to watch a race on TV I prefer GT or Trans Am racing. Live I prefer Drag racing or Nascar. Video games I prefer GT racing or road cars on GT tracks. I'm not really into driving Nascars on ovals but I do sometimes enjoy racing on ovals in other cars. I also find that they are a good place to learn about some aspects of tuning.

Ovals definitely should be in the game and there will be plenty of people wanting to race on them.

apexatspeed
02-06-2015, 20:45
I'm not what you would say a Nascar fan but there is appeal in it and excitement. For one thing if you go to a live race you can see pretty much everything that happens on the short tracks unlike Lemans where you only see the action that happens in the small area you can actually see. The racing is fast, the cars run close and there are some major crashes quite often. I have been to one race live at Bristol but it was actually a boring one. Not one crash and the lead never changed hands in fact I think the top 3 were the same through the entire race. That of course is very unusal for Bristol.

I have also been to drag races and I find those quite interesting to watch both live and on TV they take only a few seconds each and you get to see lots of amazing cars more than any other race event, especially so it you go to watch the time trials. I've also did a bit of drag racing IRL and it is quite a thrill it only lasts a few seconds but they can be intense. As for doing it in a video game I have no interest at all in that.

If I am going to watch a race on TV I prefer GT or Trans Am racing. Live I prefer Drag racing or Nascar. Video games I prefer GT racing or road cars on GT tracks. I'm not really into driving Nascars on ovals but I do sometimes enjoy racing on ovals in other cars. I also find that they are a good place to learn about some aspects of tuning.

Ovals definitely should be in the game and there will be plenty of people wanting to race on them.

I don't watch racing for crashes maybe that is why I don't like NASCAR and oval racing

Schnizz58
02-06-2015, 20:47
Yeah, crashes are actually a drag because that means the safety car will come out and there will be no racing for several laps.

HBR-Roadhog
02-06-2015, 20:59
I don't watch racing for crashes maybe that is why I don't like NASCAR and oval racing I don't watch for crashes either but they do happen and they are interesting. Out of all that I posted that was all you got from it? As I said the race I saw was boring because not only were there no crashes but the top guys were just staying put no lead changes and no mishaps makes for a boring race unless maybe you are a fan of the guy who started on the poll.

Anyway there is a lot more to it than crashes. I've never raced an oval in a real car but I can imagine it would be extremely intense especially in something like a Nascar at 190mph, 900 hp, a loose rear, no assists, little downforce and other cars almost touching you as you try to get through that loooonnnnngggg sweeping corner lap after lap after lap

DECATUR PLAYA
02-06-2015, 21:02
Ovals quite simply provide a lot more side by side racing and require a lot of drafting techniques that you don't get at other types of tracks. You will understand when you finish a race with 8 guys breathing down your neck. As a nascar gamer whose console racing experience has been carp for the last few years I can not wait for them on this game.

CCM
02-06-2015, 22:57
This is what it's like to race indy on a oval. All I am is a indy oval racer and it's the best fun I have ever had in a game. When your arm pits are bath wet and your heat beat if border line on the edge of a hart attack due to the side by side excitement you really can't go wrong with indy oval racing.

https://youtu.be/BCDnon0qXSc

https://youtu.be/A1Nq4lFFDdc

HOW DO YOU SHOW THE VIDEO NOT THE LINK?

apexatspeed
02-06-2015, 23:10
I don't watch for crashes either but they do happen and they are interesting. Out of all that I posted that was all you got from it? As I said the race I saw was boring because not only were there no crashes but the top guys were just staying put no lead changes and no mishaps makes for a boring race unless maybe you are a fan of the guy who started on the poll.

Anyway there is a lot more to it than crashes. I've never raced an oval in a real car but I can imagine it would be extremely intense especially in something like a Nascar at 190mph, 900 hp, a loose rear, no assists, little downforce and other cars almost touching you as you try to get through that loooonnnnngggg sweeping corner lap after lap after lap
I did read your whole post. But I should have responded to the whole thing. My bad.

gotdirt410sprintcar
02-06-2015, 23:34
I know your talking about oval racing and nascar. But check out sprint cars on dirt its like a top fuel dragster at take off for thirty laps nothing better than that. The cars way about 1350, power is 900hp and a top wing to keep it planted to the track that's real racing to me.

gotdirt410sprintcar
02-06-2015, 23:37
https://youtu.be/mcBkoiKQlx0 My home track if you like to check it out I worked on the 16 car. world of outlaws sprintcars.

Eyerex
02-06-2015, 23:41
Raced the ovals all the time on Forza and you can't beat the buzz of 3 or 4 cars side by side going into a corner "i so miss the Sunset Raceway"

zeak920
03-06-2015, 20:14
NASCAR and nhra are just apart who we are ( Hear in U.S.)

00steven
03-06-2015, 21:16
I don't watch racing for crashes maybe that is why I don't like NASCAR and oval racing

Not a NASCAR fan, but Indycar on ovals is thrilling not for crashes, but the speed and the fact there is that element of danger where something could go wrong any second.

JayChristmas
05-06-2015, 21:20
My home is 30 Minutes away from Nordschleife but i also like nascar games and oval racing! There are a lot of different tracks with different corners! It looks easy, but it's more than running in a circle when you are fast, side by side or in the draft, looking to temperatures, fuel and feel the tires! And it's a lot of tactic! Try it with nice and fair people who introduce you and you ll love it! ;)

John Hargreaves
05-06-2015, 21:49
Looking forward to more American stuff joining in the future, it makes for some good variety.

Panopticism
05-06-2015, 22:15
I'm not huge on oval either, but I can tell you from real track experience that it's more physically and mentally demanding than racing a purpose-built racecar around a road course. I assert that this is not just because I have far more experience on road courses than ovals. On a road course you are thinking corner by corner for the most part. On an oval you are constantly trying to keep your speed as high as possible while in extremely close proximity to the cars around you. It isn't a matter of turning only left, because there is actually a lot of countersteering, and there are nearly constant steering inputs required. My arms after a 45 minute stint in a touring or GT3 car are just getting warmed up, but after running a similar distance on an oval, my arms become useless. Watch an in-car camera during a yellow, and you'll see that most NASCAR drivers have their arms crossed and draped over the steering wheel, or something similar, to get whatever rest they can until it goes green again.

Make no mistake, once you understand oval, you'll see that it's every bit as intense as any other form of motorsport.

I'll make an exception for drag racing, which is less interesting to me than shopping for socks. I'm sure it's just as insane as any other motorsport, but I don't get it and don't really want to get it either.

John Hargreaves
05-06-2015, 22:26
Make no mistake, once you understand oval, you'll see that it's every bit as intense as any other form of motorsport.

That makes a lot of sense mate, looking forward to giving it a go

AdM1
06-06-2015, 00:05
Oval racing is great but gets boring way faster than proper circuit racing imo.

Spirit X
10-06-2015, 20:56
I just watched my first NASCAR race after reading some of the conversations about upcoming ovals, stock cars and indy cars in pCARS and I have to say, I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Not wanting to patronise any fans with that comment but I genuinely wasn't expecting it to be so damn exciting and interesting to watch. However, it's left me with a few questions that I'd be very grateful to have answered by those with the knowledge.

Sorry, I know these are pretty damn basic questions but I'd like to watch some more and would like to better understand what I'm watching:

1) I was surprised to see that even with a clear track ahead of them, the drivers weren't taking the 'racing line' through the corners but rather picking a lane and sticking with it. Why is this?

2) The race I watched (think it was Daytona from a couple of years ago) was on an oval that was quite heavily cambered. Are all the ovals like this or are some flat?

3) How does the camber affect the driving? (i.e. is it better to be on the outside or inside for any particular reason?)

4) This one confused me. Obviously I know about slipstreaming by coming up behind someone but the commentators seemed to be saying that when someone is slipstreaming you, it actually gives YOUR CAR a 'push' and makes it quicker! Is this true and how can that be?

5) In a long race (500 mile for example) why would you want to be at the front until right near the end of the race? Surely it would just mean that you're stressing your engine and tyres more than the cars in the pack behind you so it would be more advantageous to drop back a bit until it's time to push for the finish?

6) How mentally unstable do you need to be to drive at 200mph with your bumper 6 inches behind a car being driven by someone who is clearly mentally unstable?

apexatspeed
10-06-2015, 20:57
There is a whole thread on this already.

apexatspeed
10-06-2015, 20:58
There is a whole thread on this already:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?25469-OVALS-Help-me-learn-American-race-culture&highlight=american+culture

Spirit X
10-06-2015, 21:00
Sorry, I didn't search that one first. Thank you.

Bealdor
10-06-2015, 21:00
Threads merged.

Pirategenius
10-06-2015, 21:21
Its there sports, there history, there passion

THEIR sport , THEIR history,THEIR passion.

For god sake please use correct grammar

blacknred81
11-06-2015, 00:22
I just watched my first NASCAR race after reading some of the conversations about upcoming ovals, stock cars and indy cars in pCARS and I have to say, I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Not wanting to patronise any fans with that comment but I genuinely wasn't expecting it to be so damn exciting and interesting to watch. However, it's left me with a few questions that I'd be very grateful to have answered by those with the knowledge.

Sorry, I know these are pretty damn basic questions but I'd like to watch some more and would like to better understand what I'm watching:

1) I was surprised to see that even with a clear track ahead of them, the drivers weren't taking the 'racing line' through the corners but rather picking a lane and sticking with it. Why is this?

It depends on what race you watched and what track you watched... From the sounds of it, it was Daytona, but what i dont know if it was Daytona pre paved or post pave, if it was pre paved, the bumps may of upset the cars knocking them up the hill. Also, some times during races at Daytona and Talladega, drivers just want to ride, and they usually ride on the high side of the track....

But at other race tracks running out of the grove can also be an advantage. Some drivers like to set up their cars to run the high side of the track, which gives them more momentum when they are on the gas coming off the corner vs someone on the bottom of the track

2) The race I watched (think it was Daytona from a couple of years ago) was on an oval that was quite heavily cambered. Are all the ovals like this or are some flat?

In America, we call it banking. Daytona is one of the more heavily banked tracks on the NASCAR circuit, It was made for speed. Other tracks are less banked such as Martinsville. Some tracks also have Progressive Banking, where the track has more banking at the top side of the track than the bottom......

3) How does the camber affect the driving? (i.e. is it better to be on the outside or inside for any particular reason?)

Repeating what I said earlier....

But at other race tracks running out of the grove can also be an advantage. Some drivers like to set up their cars to run the high side of the track, which gives them more momentum when they are on the gas coming off the corner vs someone on the bottom of the track

But the more banked a track is, the more speed that can be carried thru the corners...

4) This one confused me. Obviously I know about slipstreaming by coming up behind someone but the commentators seemed to be saying that when someone is slipstreaming you, it actually gives YOUR CAR a 'push' and makes it quicker! Is this true and how can that be?

There uses to be a technique that was called "Tandem Drafting" when NASCAR used the old COT bodies, where 2 cars could hook up like a train and be heavily quicker that a group of cars "Drafting" normally....

Tandem drafting was banned in 2014 and is currently impossible with the Gen 6 cars, but there is also bump drafting......

However, this seems to be something relating to two cars doing this, I dont know the physics behind it, but it is possible in other series like GP3 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAea_2xg09g

5) In a long race (500 mile for example) why would you want to be at the front until right near the end of the race? Surely it would just mean that you're stressing your engine and tyres more than the cars in the pack behind you so it would be more advantageous to drop back a bit until it's time to push for the finish?

Again if it was Daytona you watched, things work differently there and Talladega. Due to the restrictor plates slowing the cars down there, the cars are stuck in huge packs of cars, where one mistake could wreck a majority of the field....

This happened last July at Daytona.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3wSBMF-v1Q

So it is safer to run in the back to avoid wrecks like this so you can still contend at the end, but you have to be carful or you can lose the draft and go a lap down....

AbeWoz
11-06-2015, 00:38
i think part of the entertainment factor is waiting for that big wreck to happen. i do not like nascar, but i understang why some do. it's a huge party for the fans. BBQ, beer, broads, boobs. the good ol american way. but i am much much more inclined to sit my a** in front of my tv and watch le mans straight through than to watch a nascar race for 2-3 hours. i like the multiclass of endurance racing and the huge impact pit strategy has on the outcome of the race.

Umer Ahmad
11-06-2015, 01:19
Man just wach Talladega Nights, it explains it all

http://youtu.be/-zPcMma_C7A

Fyrwulf
11-06-2015, 03:17
NASCAR has its roots in the South with Prohibition-era moonshine runners. The runners would take large displacement executive cars and modify them so that they had insane power output (by the day's standards). Of course, they didn't run in circles, it was more akin to modern day rally racing, down to the driving style. And NASCAR isn't all ovals, there are four races a season that are on road courses and there's a driver that's famous for only doing those races. As for NHRA, again it has its roots in street cars, except it's evolved from the stoplight-to-stoplight races people did with muscle cars in the 60s and 70s.

Do keep in mind we have plenty deep roots in road racing as well. A good number of drivers for European teams are American and we've built dominant GT cars in the past (Ford GT40 and Gen II Viper GTS-R). Hell, were in not for Dodge pulling factory support, the Gen V GTS-R was shaping up for another run of dominance in the IMSA.

MillsLayne
11-06-2015, 04:07
i think part of the entertainment factor is waiting for that big wreck to happen. i do not like nascar, but i understang why some do. it's a huge party for the fans. BBQ, beer, broads, boobs. the good ol american way. but i am much much more inclined to sit my a** in front of my tv and watch le mans straight through than to watch a nascar race for 2-3 hours. i like the multiclass of endurance racing and the huge impact pit strategy has on the outcome of the race.

I grew up on NASCAR and I actually hate seeing the big one. It takes out too many possible winners in one wreck, making the end more predictable and therefore, less entertaining. And don't think there isn't pit strategy helping to determine the outcomes of races in NASCAR, either, as a lot of races come down to it. Two tires or four? Fuel or no fuel, or fuel only? Various adjustments to the car; adding or subtracting spring rubbers, adjusting the wedge to make the car tighter or looser (understeer or oversteer), etc. Tons of things that can be done to help or hurt teams (sometimes, track conditions play a huge roll, too.) I will admit, though, the increased number of cautions for suspect things towards the ends of the races are starting to irritate me because I feel like they've been determining the winners more than they should.