PDA

View Full Version : Controller Too Twitchy

trancend
15-05-2015, 23:05
Ive spent two entire days now tweaking the controller settings (too bad my G27 doesnt work, thanks Sony for helping me decide to build a PC... goodbye GT).

Even with very dampened steering I still cannot hold a smooth turn like in DriveClub (Yes I know virtues of a driving sim, I just really wish there was a DriveClub controller preset):

Steering Sensitivity: 0
Steering Deadzone: 0

Speed Sensitivity: 60
Controller Filtering Sensitivity: 90

Soft Steering Dampening: On

Im shocked how horrible the presets are, and dumbfounded that a decent setup cannot be found given all the config options.

I find it very hard to swollow that such a cutting edge simulator cannot have decent controller settings, and leaves me to believe that they are bad by design to spur sales of over priced Trash Master wheels.

Im truely dissapointed in buyimg this game, I feel Ive been double screwed by both Sony and now SMS.

Thanks to yas for making me such a satified customer.

CrypticSpartan
16-05-2015, 04:12
Ive spent two entire days now tweaking the controller settings (too bad my G27 doesnt work, thanks Sony for helping me decide to build a PC... goodbye GT).

Even with very dampened steering I still cannot hold a smooth turn like in DriveClub (Yes I know virtues of a driving sim, I just really wish there was a DriveClub controller preset):

Steering Sensitivity: 0
Steering Deadzone: 0

Speed Sensitivity: 60
Controller Filtering Sensitivity: 90

Soft Steering Dampening: On

Im shocked how horrible the presets are, and dumbfounded that a decent setup cannot be found given all the config options.

I find it very hard to swollow that such a cutting edge simulator cannot have decent controller settings, and leaves me to believe that they are bad by design to spur sales of over priced Trash Master wheels.

Im truely dissapointed in buyimg this game, I feel Ive been double screwed by both Sony and now SMS.

Thanks to yas for making me such a satified customer.

As one who is accustomed to the likes of Forza, Project Cars has been equal parts frustrating and rewarding. Now 8hrs in mostly with karts and superkarts I have grown to love the frustration and feel even more rewarded with success and failure.

I used several posted set ups and each time it got a little better. My advice is use a setting, perhaps the one below. Take to the practice track that matches current career track and car. Run a bunch of laps and you WILL get it. It will click, you just need a soft touch on the stick. Especially through long hard turns. Try this out and I hope you can eventually enjoy this AMAZING and rewarding racing simple. Edit= I'm using a DS4 on PS4

Steering Deadzone= 5
Steering Sensitivity= 10
Throttle Deadzone= 5
Throttle Sensitivity= 15
Brake Deadzone= 5
Brake Sensitivity= 15
————————
Speed Sensitivity= 70
Control Filtering= 40
Controller Input Mode= 2 (This setting may or may not make a difference even with custom settings. I've read both ways, I can tell no difference)
Advanced= On
Soft steering dampening= on
Visual Wheel Filtering= on
Opposite Lock Help= Off (I've read that this option is useful if you are twitchy and don't allow the wheel to return center but try to over correct yourself by counter steering. Not sure how accurate this is)

One of the biggest complaints that I've heard is the car not "making" the turn and ending up on the side of the road. There are two parts to this. First, games like GT and Forza have conditioned many folks to simply make the turn with little regard to speed. In reality the line between too fast into a corner and just fast enough is much finer than even I thought based on previous experience. Second, the time at which you start the turn is equally important. A half second too late and you're spinning grass and lost 5 places in the field. When I hit the turn just right I get the same feeling as I get racing a superbike.

Sorry for long post. You may know all of this or none. Hopefully you got something out of it. At the end of the day we're all still learning. Have fun brother and don't give up.

Trapper Burt
16-05-2015, 13:56
It's not just the controller thats twitchy...
Go into the 250cc carts and feather the throttle at a very low speed, and turn back and forth quickly. Watch how the cart jerks into a full lean as if you're cruising around some long sweeping turn, experiencing full G's...

Not only is it distracting view-wise. But I'm pretty sure it's also affecting the handling.

And it's not just the 250cc carts, other cars in game have this weird VERY NON SIMULATION type physic effect happening. One of the Mustangs does it as well. The one that is more stock looking.

trancend
16-05-2015, 16:47
It's not just the controller thats twitchy...
Go into the 250cc carts and feather the throttle at a very low speed, and turn back and forth quickly. Watch how the cart jerks into a full lean as if you're cruising around some long sweeping turn, experiencing full G's...

Not only is it distracting view-wise. But I'm pretty sure it's also affecting the handling.

And it's not just the 250cc carts, other cars in game have this weird VERY NON SIMULATION type physic effect happening. One of the Mustangs does it as well. The one that is more stock looking.

Try turning off "Opposite Lock Sensitivity" under Addvanced near the bottom. With it off I can now drift and power slide back to control when the back steps out where as before as soon as i centered the wheel, let alone counter steered id be spun out in a blink.

trancend
16-05-2015, 16:51
Thanks, Speed Sensitivity is much better at 70 than 60.

I highly recommed however TURNING OFF Opposite Lock Senitivity (or whatever its called). I can now control power slides and drifts, which was impossible with it on (I have Traction Control off, Stability Control on and Braking Assist on).

Trapper Burt
16-05-2015, 21:39
Thanks, Speed Sensitivity is much better at 70 than 60.

I highly recommed however TURNING OFF Opposite Lock Senitivity (or whatever its called). I can now control power slides and drifts, which was impossible with it on (I have Traction Control off, Stability Control on and Braking Assist on).

Speed sensitivity is a nice thing to be able to tweak. But imo it should be a car tune setting, and be able to be saved as a part of specific track tunes. Because just as with gear ratios, some tracks need a speed sensitivity of 70, and others 40... I'm finding.

KilrPayne
17-05-2015, 00:40
In controller settings go to the bottom and set controller input to 2 or 3. Made a world of difference to me. Couldn't keep the car on the track with 1 selected. Dunno why the difference.