PDA

View Full Version : Furiously Difficult

DisguisedHero
16-05-2015, 02:45
Greetings all,

First I would like to say that I'm a big forum reader but rarely feel the need to post. Secondly, I know the first thing people are going to want to say when they see the topic title, and you are going to say well use one of the plethora of settings to tailor the difficulty to you do you have fun. Well that is part of my problem. My current settings are zero assists, real damage, tires, fuel etc, and the AI difficulty set to 80 (I started at 50 but dialed it up after only a couple races when I got back into the swing of things). Here is a minor list things I have come across:

I initially started in the karts thinking it would be fun to work my way up the ranks all the way through Formula A. However, after three races I quickly restarted my career to just begin in Formula R. The karts are perfectly manageable with even a little bit of practice and I was finishing decent enough however I found their handling to be a little too squirrely. Usually I wouldn't say anything but I happen to have sat behind the wheel of one these things before and well they just simply don't handle that poorly, and I found it inconsistent with personal experience. There may be controller settings to fix this a little? I haven't played with that yet.

Next, the rain effects seem a bit too dramatic. With wet tires and even a few laps in I've gone around some fairly moderate sweeping turns at 35-40mph and the vehicles still want to slide badly. I don't know about many of you but I've taken my daily driver around similar sweeping turns on very drenched streets and the tires never break free at those kinds of speeds. Maybe dial that back a bit.

I took a Formula A car for a practice session for giggles as a break from Formula R. Three quarters of the way through a third lap on Donington I was nearly out of a turn (passed the apex already) and only applying slight steering pressure as I was coming onto the straight. As I tapped the gas the "warm" tires instantly broke free spinning me 360 degrees. I couldnt help but roll my eyes. I know these Formula A ones are powerful but I really wish someone could have been standing right next to me to see how slight the steering and acceleration was to send me into such a sudden and violent spin. It was genuinely eye roll worthy.

I'm willing to overlook those points though. Maybe...maybe, if I play around with the controller settings I might be able to iron some of it out. Has anyone else had my problems and adjusted for it? However, the most frustrating part and why I say this is furiously difficult is how completely incompetent the AI can be most of the time. Even in Formula R with only 16 cars on the track they can't seem to make it anywhere without suddenly darting weaving or smashing into each other (or most annoyingly me). I've been nosed passed them on the straight with them on the outside me on the inside and ducked into turns neck and neck with them and them deliberately turn into me to get all the way inside even though they should know I am RIGHT there. More inexplicably I have at times had them hit me so hard it has knocked a tire off basically knocking me out of the race yet they drive off unscathed all the time. The first two laps are always massive trial and error for me as I get constantly ran into. I find myself intentionally holding back in corners and only passing on straights because the AI has no awareness and knocks me around way too much. The worst part is even with flags and penalties enabled I have yet to see a penalty announcement or flag of any kind. Do they even work? I circled into a turn on Sennerton 200 and was T boned so hard by a car going much too fast that it flipped me over and still no flag! If I can manage to survive the gauntlet of AI drivers constantly running into and get a little space to actually drive I wind up finishing well. Anyone else having this problem?

NVI0U5
16-05-2015, 02:52
Yes, Ive encountered it before (spinning out when powering out of a turn) the way I counter that is, use a higher gear and KERS.

Thales Baptista
16-05-2015, 02:54
I am having lots of problems. But soon or later ill get to this one. :grey:

DisguisedHero
16-05-2015, 03:20
Yes, Ive encountered it before (spinning out when powering out of a turn) the way I counter that is, use a higher gear and KERS.

Thanks a bunch man. I'll give that a shot.

Dresden
16-05-2015, 03:21
Yeah, I understand your pain. And this is also the reason that I am happy to go no where near realistic damage or all assists off until the game is a year old and has been properly patched. Ten years of Bethesda gaming has taught me that. Fingers crossed they keep it a 'sim' but also make it fair for us honest drivers.

Mr.Smoke
16-05-2015, 03:21

What is KERS exactly? Noticed it in the button assignment earlier.

ammonthenephite
16-05-2015, 03:25
What is KERS exactly? Noticed it in the button assignment earlier.

I believe its something along the lines of Kinetic Energy Recapture System. F1 has it, they capture energy under breaking, store it in batteries and then send it down the drive line with a push of the button for more power/speed.

DisguisedHero
16-05-2015, 03:26
A kinetic energy recovery system (often known simply as KERS, or kers) is the system for recovering the Formula 1 cars kinetic energy under braking. The recovered energy is stored in a reservoir (for example a flywheel or high voltage batteries) for later acceleration. I think even the new Ferrari car that is stupidly named the LaFerrari uses KERS as well. I think it is also the first road production car to use KERS but dont quote me on that someone else might know better than I do.

yusupov
16-05-2015, 03:29
'higher gear' is really the key there; he's' saying he uses the KERS to make up for the poor exit, since it adds something like 150+HP. if you dont use a higher gear its just going to compound your issues.

really id just recommend staying out of first, last year the cars had ab it more torque but i saw several F1 drivers bang into walls on caution laps (not race) because they got lazy. ie even the pros with all their experience & ultra-precise pedals do it, so if you are using a controller w/out assists, youre going to be that much more vulnerable.

PC49NZ
16-05-2015, 03:37
What platform are you using, and do you use a wheel with pedals?

DayGlow
16-05-2015, 04:19
Going fast enough to keep the heat in the tires? Formula A you have to go crazy fast to get heat into the tires.

DisguisedHero
16-05-2015, 12:49
I'm using the PS4 with controller. I have a wheel but its very old and I'm not sure if it would even be compatible. I can always pull it out of the closet today and try. But even after some like tweaking I'm finding all the higher power vehicles to be very temperamental in the corners and especially on the throttle. If you don't ever so slightly and gradually pull the trigger for the throttle you'll find the Formula A car spinning wildly regardless of where you are at in the corner or even a straight. It's like when they made the game with no assists they thought it meant exaggerated handling instead of just legitimately being no assists.

DisguisedHero
16-05-2015, 12:52
Going fast enough to keep the heat in the tires? Formula A you have to go crazy fast to get heat into the tires.

I'll admit some of my first attempts I was guilty of not having the tires hot enough. I got irritated and then forgot I wasn't playing Forza and checked the tires and realized they were still cold. But even with warmer tires its still very much a struggle.

Umer Ahmad
16-05-2015, 13:01
A kinetic energy recovery system (often known simply as KERS, or kers) is the system for recovering the Formula 1 cars kinetic energy under braking. The recovered energy is stored in a reservoir (for example a flywheel or high voltage batteries) for later acceleration. I think even the new Ferrari car that is stupidly named the LaFerrari uses KERS as well. I think it is also the first road production car to use KERS but dont quote me on that someone else might know better than I do.
Toyota Prius?

Regarding tyre heating, i'll also admit that i feel the game here for me is a bit difficult to get and keep the tyres warm. Not all cars. Also dont let the minihud fool you, blue in the minihud can mean a reasonable greenish in the large HUD overlay.

DisguisedHero
16-05-2015, 13:08
I was under the impression the Prius just used regenerative braking not specifically KERS. I think the Prius just uses it as a way recharge the batteries some. F1 cars can release the energy again for a 'boost'. Don't think the Prius does that specifically. Could just be semantics, and again, someone may know much better than I do. Would be interested to know if there is really a difference.

Haiden
16-05-2015, 13:26
Make sure your game is updated. The AI was pretty wonky before mine was updated. Since then, it's been fine.

Not sure about the traction loss. I use a wheel and get quite a bit of FFB from the track itself. There are a lot bumps and uneven patches on some tracks that will cause the wheel to slip. Not sure if you're feeling them with a controller. I've been racing F1-a for a few days now, and the cars are like glue when I hit my corner lines right. I've got the difficulty set to 70, (with no assists) and can make the podium, so it's not like I'm tender-footing it around the track. Of course, it's a lot easier to be precise with the throttle using pedals. Maybe you need to tweak your controller. Watch the RPMs in practice. You might feel like your barely pulling the trigger, but it the controller might be off.

Mr.Smoke
16-05-2015, 13:29
I figured thats what the KERS was. Thanks guys.

It seems like the LMP cars have it too as i was playing around with them last night, hit the KERS button & noticed a boost for sure.

DisguisedHero
16-05-2015, 13:33
Make sure your game is updated. The AI was pretty wonky before mine was updated. Since then, it's been fine.

Not sure about the traction loss. I use a wheel and get quite a bit of FFB from the track itself. There are a lot bumps and uneven patches on some tracks that will cause the wheel to slip. Not sure if you're feeling them with a controller. I've been racing F1-a for a few days now, and the cars are like glue when I hit my corner lines right. I've got the difficulty set to 70, (with no assists) and can make the podium, so it's not like I'm tender-footing it around the track. Of course, it's a lot easier to be precise with the throttle using pedals. Maybe you need to tweak your controller. Watch the RPMs in practice. You might feel like your barely pulling the trigger, but it the controller might be off.

Thanks! I may dial my AI back down to 60 or 70 and just practice more. On the lower end cars I need the difficulty at 80. Until I get the hang of the higher end cars more I may bump it down a couple so I dont feel so rushed.

ThePla7Maker
16-05-2015, 14:00
would be pretty boring if all cars were the same and u was putting in fast laps constantly. I recommend sticking to 1 car and 1 track for a minimum of 1 hour in time trial , u will soon notice your getting better, its just practice. also watch youtube videos of the car your using on same track. hope this helps.

WobblyCaptain
16-05-2015, 16:15
Its easy to spin off in the game at the moment, i started off with all assists off but now i find myself using stability control a lot and using higher gears more to aid me from spinning out am just a noob racer:rolleyes: but the stability assist has helped me loads especially on the Caterham which all i could do was doughnuts :D
Until i get better i think i will now be using stability control a lot more

Jeckert7
16-05-2015, 16:29
I took the same career route as you, and am currently in Formula A as well. Those cars are a different beast as they are taking me a lot longer to get used to. I did some setup research and found a few tweaks that really helped, but I can safely say that practicing my downshifting into corners and easing onto the gas when exiting has really helped. You just have to let the car do the work, can't muscle it around like the lower level open wheels. Good luck...