PDA

View Full Version : The State of Online Lobbies

HEF51
16-05-2015, 06:05
There are many issues with the online lobbies in their current state. To the point we don't know if our league will be able to run events in two weeks. This was from a session we just had with 9 people in the lobby to stress test the game for league play. All have open NATs and hardwired connections.

-Random game freezes that has happened to all lobby guests (not at the same time) even the host in the lobby screen. This requires you to close the game and restart it.

-Host getting disconnected randomly in the lobby. No reason and we always pick the person with the best connection.

-Game chat is very unstable at the moment. Some people can hear maybe 5-6 people. Others can only hear maybe 1 or 2. Comms are a huge part of online racing so this would be the biggest issue that needs to be tackled.

-Screen Freezes and unbearable lag when someone JIPs. Sometimes happening even when some is not JIP.

-When Joining in Progress sometimes you do not have the option to press drive. You are stuck in the garage like that until the session is over.

-Cannot join lobby when there is 3-4 minutes left in a session (Practice, quali or warmup). No idea why that is a feature.

-When coming back into a lobby from a race, multiple people get frozen in the lobby screen. Makes it impossible to run more than one race without starting up another lobby.

There were some more issues but that were on the lower end of the priority scale, The above were the big ones.

Examples of random screen freezes while in race:
http://xboxclips.com/HEF51/578c7577-c9b2-4cc0-b9b2-57cf17931948

http://xboxclips.com/Raven403/71266473-4f43-4bbd-a77f-a78add0d29ca

Car glitching......
http://xboxclips.com/Raven403/39dc5a31-96e0-4be1-bfec-a8dd0b6904b5/embed

Map/Terrain Glitching
http://xboxclips.com/Raven403/09969faf-00ca-4d5c-8eb6-772cdf52e710/embed

http://xboxclips.com/Raven403/96758054-b138-4baa-82c3-988dda6c7043/embed

Ch1ps N Queso
16-05-2015, 06:58
Can confirm this is true. Connecting, chatting, joining, pretty much everything about the online lobby experience tonight was a gaming horror show.

Thanks in advance for your continued effort and dedication to improving this title. When we're able to finally connect and get a few laps in the racing is fantastic. Looking forward to a stable experience in the coming months.

Raven403
16-05-2015, 12:09
THIS is a SERIOUS problem!

I can confirm all the above happening. It makes online pretty much unplayable! Things seemed somewhat more stable when a group of us were using party chat, but that could be because there were only 5 of us. and in any case our league races with a full 16 player lobby, we only had Half that and it took us at least a dozen attempts to get everyone in and playing in the same session.

Rxhevntt
16-05-2015, 12:58
^^I also have experienced everything above. Admittedly, when it's working--it's great! But it felt like we spent about 35% of the time playing and the rest trying to get a simple private lobby to work; didn't even involve matchmaking. I won't pretend to know how to sort any of it, or even attempt to list the issues--but this thing needs to be looked at asap!

HLR Ghosty
16-05-2015, 13:06
As above with the game running off an external hdd with over 2 TB of space left.

Finnstar
16-05-2015, 17:55
As great as the physics and racing are in this game, its a shame that the online experience is so poor.

HEF51
17-05-2015, 01:49
As we speak we are trying to get a online lobby going. Everyone currently in the room has an open NAT and a hardwired connection. There are 8 of us. Cannot hear a soul...

turbohondaej1
17-05-2015, 04:50
I would like to point out that every lobby I was in it goes back to the menu after the race. Is that normal or shouldn't it continue why would I want different people to race with every time the race is over? Sorry to thread jack a bit Im just upset about mp too.

HEF51
17-05-2015, 04:52
I would like to point out that every lobby I was in it goes back to the menu after the race. Is that normal or shouldn't it continue why would I want different people to race with every time the race is over? Sorry to thread jack a bit Im just upset about mp too.

Are you pressing Exit at the session results screen?

Raven403
17-05-2015, 12:39
This game is simply unplayable online. After 3 failed attempts to get everyone in a lobby and communicating, We finally got a chance to race. The game called for rain the entire time, never once did it rain. The track map and terrain freaked out so hard it was impossible to know where anyone was on the track. and finally......the pit stops.....

THE Pit stop/Pit strategy setup is so needlessly complicated it takes a goddamn miracle to get what you want out of a Pit stop. I had to pit three laps in a row, because no matter what, my pit crew would put full Wets on my car. Its so infuriating. Im starting a new thread just about that.

But this game is totally unplayable online. here are a few examples. And FYI I have a 1TB 7400 RPM HDD, Thrustmaster TX, hardwired internet with Open NAT and all patches installed.

Car glitching......
http://xboxclips.com/Raven403/39dc5a31-96e0-4be1-bfec-a8dd0b6904b5/embed

Map/Terrain Glitching
http://xboxclips.com/Raven403/09969faf-00ca-4d5c-8eb6-772cdf52e710/embed

http://xboxclips.com/Raven403/96758054-b138-4baa-82c3-988dda6c7043/embed

FederalHercules
17-05-2015, 13:37
All you can do is sigh at this point. We have controller issues (gamepad and wheels). Rendering issues of all sorts. Networking stability issues. And list of game play issues growing by the minute. So much to love and so much to hate it is maddening.

Ch1ps N Queso
17-05-2015, 14:39
Atrocious. Easily the worst launch multiplayer experience I've ever encountered. At the beginning I thought I'd be able to work around a few issues but I'm beginning to lose hope. This game is a lemon.

turbohondaej1
17-05-2015, 15:03
Are you pressing Exit at the session results screen?

Yes I may not be paying enough attention to what I'm doing then. 2 hours online only had two races so I was a bit frustrated anyway.

HEF51
17-05-2015, 16:16
Yes I may not be paying enough attention to what I'm doing then. 2 hours online only had two races so I was a bit frustrated anyway.

Don't press Exit. That means you are exiting from the session.

HEF51
17-05-2015, 16:21
Back on topic. I just don't understand how a game can be so poorly unoptimized for online play. The countless bugs and general lack of user friendliness. Supposedly the online is being run off of XBL? Well you better get MS involved because it is downright unplayable.

Raven403
17-05-2015, 21:58
More glitching clips from Multiplayer

http://xboxclips.com/Rxhevn/663fc344-acc8-4ba7-a92c-3bc98245f331/embed

http://xboxclips.com/Rxhevn/90c5ecb3-93fd-4ce0-b1a8-000b9bf1126d/embed

Raven403
18-05-2015, 13:30
Is this not happening to more than 8 of us? I find that hard to believe

Tillj
18-05-2015, 13:33
Occasionally the entire lobby is forced to dashboard, everyone all at once has their game crash and closed to dashboard. Happens rarely but often enough to notice.

There were private lobbys, although this shouldnt make a difference. Around 11 of us were in the lobby as well.

robnroll88
18-05-2015, 13:39
WMD members must be on a lunch break, they usually comment and defend the game by now.......

*slapsface* ....tech support........ lol

mondo242008
18-05-2015, 15:02
There was another racing game that came out on the 360/PS3 that had issues that almost mirror this one....NASCAR the game.....It is very frustrating that we wait and wait and wait for a game to come out and then it feels like we have to wait and wait and wait some more for it to be playable. I commend WMD for getting the controller patch completed and sent to MS so quickly and I really do hope they can fix the rest of the major issues quickly and effectively

HEF51
18-05-2015, 17:27
I'll add another one:

- When coming back into a lobby from a race, multiple people get frozen in the lobby screen. Makes it impossible to run more than one race without starting up another lobby.

Raven403
18-05-2015, 18:14
Is this just an XBox live thing or is PS4 having issues too?

HEF51
19-05-2015, 15:50
There was another racing game that came out on the 360/PS3 that had issues that almost mirror this one....NASCAR the game.....It is very frustrating that we wait and wait and wait for a game to come out and then it feels like we have to wait and wait and wait some more for it to be playable. I commend WMD for getting the controller patch completed and sent to MS so quickly and I really do hope they can fix the rest of the major issues quickly and effectively

Actually this reminds me of the stories I heard about Race Pro which was made by Sim Bin which a lot of the SMS guys are from. Not shocking that they both have massive problems.

skijumptoes
19-05-2015, 21:39
Gotta say online has been pretty seemless for me, but i'm playing friends within a party so voice comms are dealt with via that, and also with no public players so we all know we've got pretty stable connections.

Generally there's between 3 and 6 of us play, plus 8-12 AI racers. The guy who normally hosts has a very good connection, so maybe that makes a considerable difference. The host needs to be the best connection, without doubt - particularly upload.

Also, Don't forget that it's not the bandwidth/capacity of your WAN, the latency is the most major factor, we've gone way beyond the point of bandwidth being the bottleneck for online gaming. If your connection is being used for downloads or other activities online it's well worth looking in to QoS or prioritising the devices within your home so that gaming devices, like xboxone has high priority, it's very small chunks of data going through at the quickest possible times that's key.

Not had any lockups in about 20 hours of game time, and only experienced one hiccup and that was when trying to join a game it failed, i then re-accepted the invite and i was in the lobby twice - This caused the game to kick me out as we entered the race.

I know this maybe isn't relevant to you playing in bigger games, using the games voice comms. But thought i'd add my experience to give a perspective at what point the game falls down, i.e. number of players.

One other thing i'd like to add is that out of all the racing games i've played online this seems to handle high speed racing quite well, i've seen less jumping around than many other titles, they obviously have some predictive net code refined quite well to prevent it. But, it's still early days and i've not strayed into public games as yet.

HEF51
19-05-2015, 22:28
Gotta say online has been pretty seemless for me, but i'm playing friends within a party so voice comms are dealt with via that, and also with no public players so we all know we've got pretty stable connections.

Generally there's between 3 and 6 of us play, plus 8-12 AI racers. The guy who normally hosts has a very good connection, so maybe that makes a considerable difference. The host needs to be the best connection, without doubt - particularly upload.

Also, Don't forget that it's not the bandwidth/capacity of your WAN, the latency is the most major factor, we've gone way beyond the point of bandwidth being the bottleneck for online gaming. If your connection is being used for downloads or other activities online it's well worth looking in to QoS or prioritising the devices within your home so that gaming devices, like xboxone has high priority, it's very small chunks of data going through at the quickest possible times that's key.

Not had any lockups in about 20 hours of game time, and only experienced one hiccup and that was when trying to join a game it failed, i then re-accepted the invite and i was in the lobby twice - This caused the game to kick me out as we entered the race.

I know this maybe isn't relevant to you playing in bigger games, using the games voice comms. But thought i'd add my experience to give a perspective at what point the game falls down, i.e. number of players.

One other thing i'd like to add is that out of all the racing games i've played online this seems to handle high speed racing quite well, i've seen less jumping around than many other titles, they obviously have some predictive net code refined quite well to prevent it. But, it's still early days and i've not strayed into public games as yet.
Its exactly that, when you et more than 5-6 guys in a lobby it all falls apart. we usually have 10-12 people in as of now and we have some pretty bad comms issues and disconnect issues. I cant imagine the first time we have to get all 16 guys in one room.

Kulch
20-05-2015, 00:17
The game is basically unplayable.

I cant play online due to the highlighted issues in this thread
I cant play my career due to the highlighted issues with AI speeds in the wet

Im left with community events and time trial....and my controller doesn't work as intended, althought I have worked around this bit.

Its almost 2 weeks since launch. Very poor indeed