PDA

View Full Version : How do you move the game to an external drive?

Ochilbaz
16-05-2015, 06:50
sorry for being a pest but I am seriously not good with computers/xbox technical stuff and really do not want to make a mistake and lose stuff from my xbox or lose my progress. I am thinking of getting an external usb drive for xbox1 to help increase the frame rate issues that I sometimes get. my questions are

1. Is this a simple process?
2. How do I actually do it? what is the actual process?
3. What size of drive do I need? (bear in mind future dlc)
4. are we talking about the small usb adaptor(flash drive) or a proper square shaped drive?

All your help will be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance
ochilbaz

thisisbleep
16-05-2015, 07:22
You could just search for how to do it, there are numerous videos and guides.

This is the Xbox One support page for storage (http://www.xbox.com/xboxone/storage), I suggest that you read that first and if anything is still not clear find a YouTube video or guide on Google.

Nickname85
16-05-2015, 08:55
sorry for being a pest but I am seriously not good with computers/xbox technical stuff and really do not want to make a mistake and lose stuff from my xbox or lose my progress. I am thinking of getting an external usb drive for xbox1 to help increase the frame rate issues that I sometimes get. my questions are

1. Is this a simple process?
2. How do I actually do it? what is the actual process?
3. What size of drive do I need? (bear in mind future dlc)
4. are we talking about the small usb adaptor(flash drive) or a proper square shaped drive?

All your help will be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance
ochilbaz

I just did this a few days ago.

1: it is simple.
2: Just put a hdd in the USB connector. Xbox wil detect it automaticly. You will get a pop-up about it.
Be sure to use a disk that doesnt have anthing important on it, because xbox will ask to format it!
When this if done it will show up as an external storage to your xbox.
Then go to your dashboard and click on pcars tile with the options button (three stripes/on xbox 360 controller it was the start button)
Choose manage game / move game (move to external hdd)/ now wait a few minutes.
3: i would say at least 100 gb, to be sure. Game = 18,5 gb + future dlc...you dont want the hdd to be 75%+full...it may influence the performance.
4: i dont thing it matters, as long as it is USB connected and big enough (in storage, not actual size).

For me it fixed lots f performance / framerate issues. Let us know how it works out for you.
Grtz

Edit(thanks to other posters): The HDD need to have USB 3.0 and 256 GB minimum.

Ochilbaz
16-05-2015, 09:02
Thanks. I am going into town today to get one. I will report back later with my findings. again many thanks

ochilbaz

s1yfa
16-05-2015, 09:43
You need at least 256gb and USB3. Try to get a 7200rpm or SSD disk for best performance. I hooked a WD Black 750gb up with a sata to USB3 convertor last night. It works to an extent, loading times are marginally faster, menu saving is almost instant now which is great as that was frustrating. FPS, well maybe slightly better but its not a FIX by any stretch of the imagination.

I wouldn't say to everyone go buy a drive right now, I think the patch will be more beneficial. That said if you are short on storage space its worth the investment.

ItchyBear
16-05-2015, 09:50
Correct... you require an external USB 3 hard drive & 256Gb would be the minimum.

Connect the drive, Xbone then gives you options to prepare the drive for use.

You can't use the drive for anything else other than Xbone once you make it a Xbone drive (unless you reformat it for PC by example).

You then have Internal and External storage shown.

When you install a game I believe it always installs to the Internal drive by default.

After a game is installed you to go Games and Apps, where the option is present under Manage Game to Move it... the option of External Drive now appears and once accepted you go off to make a cuppa cos it takes a wee while :)

Hope this helps friend.

IgorTheHunchback
16-05-2015, 10:02
How can moving the game to an external hdd inprove frame rate that sounds weird all a hdd can do is speed up load times as the game is actually run from ram not hdd.

Bryer
16-05-2015, 10:11
You need at least 256gb and USB3. Try to get a 7200rpm or SSD disk for best performance. I hooked a WD Black 750gb up with a sata to USB3 convertor last night. It works to an extent, loading times are marginally faster, menu saving is almost instant now which is great as that was frustrating. FPS, well maybe slightly better but its not a FIX by any stretch of the imagination.

I wouldn't say to everyone go buy a drive right now, I think the patch will be more beneficial. That said if you are short on storage space its worth the investment.

Your issue is the SATA to USB3.0 convertor. Native USB3 works a lot better.

Bryer
16-05-2015, 10:13
How can moving the game to an external hdd inprove frame rate that sounds weird all a hdd can do is speed up load times as the game is actually run from ram not hdd.

Incorrect. This how games worked on the last generation of consoles, however due to the sheer size of the assets, the games are now made to run more like PC games and load assets off of storage within the game. Call of Duty created this method, and I cannot remember the name they used, but its basically streaming assets off the hard disk.

The internal HDD of the Xbox One only spins at 5400RPM and this is a bottleneck compared to the SATA controller speeds and the speeds of USB 3.0. The USB 3.0 hard disks generally run at 7200RPM with a bus throughput of 5Gbps.

IgorTheHunchback
16-05-2015, 10:30
Incorrect. This how games worked on the last generation of consoles, however due to the sheer size of the assets, the games are now made to run more like PC games and load assets off of storage within the game. Call of Duty created this method, and I cannot remember the name they used, but its basically streaming assets off the hard disk.

The internal HDD of the Xbox One only spins at 5400RPM and this is a bottleneck compared to the SATA controller speeds and the speeds of USB 3.0. The USB 3.0 hard disks generally run at 7200RPM with a bus throughput of 5Gbps.

Well you live and learn thanks for the answer Bryer :)

WildcatKNH
16-05-2015, 11:51
As others have mentioned, the external drive needs to be at least 256GB ... but if you're going to go through the process of installing an external drive for games, I'd recommend a much larger drive. With the size of some of these games today, 256GB could be filled after installing only 4 or 5 games. My Forza Horizon 2 game (with DLC) is 50+ GB by itself. Here in the US, you can regularly find 3TB drives for less than $100.

malcster
16-05-2015, 17:25
Can anyone link a recommended drive to use not too expensive

ChelseaOilman
16-05-2015, 18:26
Can anyone link a recommended drive to use not too expensive

I have an Xbox 360 and two Xbox Ones with external 2TB hard drives. My PS3 and PS4 needed the hard drives to be installed internally. I got 2TB hard drives for them as well.

This is the hard drives I used: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ILALU9G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the hard drive in that case: http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-HN-M201RAD-Momentus-SpinPoint-ST2000LM003/dp/B00I8O6OQ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431799784&sr=8-1&keywords=seagate+2tb+2.5

Since it's cheaper to purchase the drives in the case I just removed the drives from the case to install in my PS3 and PS4. I then installed the smaller PS3 and PS4 original drives back in the cases to use as external drives for the PS3 and PS4. Sony consoles don't allow games to be installed to external drives.

s1yfa
16-05-2015, 20:33
Your issue is the SATA to USB3.0 convertor. Native USB3 works a lot better.

No such thing as native USB3 for hard drives. All external drives have a sata interface which is converted to usb. Open up a WD MyBook for example and you'll find a sata disk inside. All I'm doing is missing out the fancy casing, throughput speeds are virtually identical to a retail, cased drive - believe me, I tested it.

You can get a sata to usb case and separate disk on ebay much cheaper than a full packaged solution. Worth looking at if you want to save a few quid. Startech ones perform well.

Goggles007
17-05-2015, 02:16
hi, i have a 2TB external, just plug it in, XBone will recognize it, you need to format it, its an option. once this is done go into settings/storage/manage and its really quite simple from there. hope this helps.

Seagate 2TB, 65$ CAD

Ixoye56
17-05-2015, 07:14
SSD is not needed, it can't go any faster than the USB interface performance allows anyway, I don't think the speed of the disc is that important, it's the USB3 interface that is faster than the internal IDE.

ashasha
17-05-2015, 08:08
From what I understand the throughput using an external drive through the USB3.0 port is faster than the internal (not sure if it's the 5400RPM disc, but I am sure that's not helping). Regardless it does have to be at least 256GB and USB3.0 or else it will only recognize it for media storage and you cannot install games to it. Beware that there are some out there that meet those specs, but won't work because the cable it comes with is flakey. I bought a 1GB Seagate drive that wouldn't work correctly until I replaced the cable; now it works like a champ.

Ochilbaz
18-05-2015, 17:44
i have moved my project cars across now to an external hdd. it now says i have 18.1gb installed instead of 18.5gb. it also says installation stopped, have i done something wrong in the process?

Benja190782
18-05-2015, 17:47
i have moved my project cars across now to an external hdd. it now says i have 18.1gb installed instead of 18.5gb. it also says installation stopped, have i done something wrong in the process?

Same problem here - I want to know too...

ChelseaOilman
18-05-2015, 18:04
Was the game fully installed before you moved it to the external drive? I had the game and 4 add-ons installed to the internal drive before I moved the game and add-ons to the external drive. If I highlight just the game not including any add-ons it shows 18.4GB. With the game and 4 add-ons it shows 18.5GB total.