PDA

View Full Version : Simraceway wheel

TRCThrobbinhood
16-05-2015, 09:40
Can anyone tell me if they use this wheel?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SteelSeries-Simraceway-SRW-S1-Steering-Wheel/dp/B006IR6NH8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431768938&sr=8-1&keywords=steelseries+simraceway+srw-s1+steering+wheel+pc

I can buy a clamp to go with this, because of space I had to sell my G25 and Fanatec wheels and Wheelstand pro. It doesn't have FF but If I can be quicker with it, it won't matter.
I'm pretty fast with the pad but because this is sim handling the immersion just isn't there with the pad.

UnknownAssassin
16-05-2015, 10:12
It looks pretty cool

Oldmanhaggis
16-05-2015, 10:31
Yip... I have one attached to my G27. I dont use the steering controll of the SRW-S! but plenty of buttons to use. Makes openwheel racing a wee bit better..

Smegsterman
16-05-2015, 10:39
Yip... I have one attached to my G27. I dont use the steering controll of the SRW-S! but plenty of buttons to use. Makes openwheel racing a wee bit better..

Just strapped to existing g27 wheel? colour me intrigued.

TRCThrobbinhood
16-05-2015, 20:13
Thanks, may I ask why you would use it instead of the FF G27 wheel?

Neith
16-05-2015, 20:55
I bought one of these for Project Cars, didn't need much calibration at all. I don't have space for a full wheel setup so this was the only option aside from a pad.

I immediately noticed my laptimes were 2-3 seconds faster on most tracks, really impressed with it to be honest so I would recommend it if you can't get a full wheel. Even the LED shift lights work if you use the fanaLEDs application.

The only downside for me (aside from no FFB) is that the gear paddles are a little far from the wheel but other than that it's great, if tiring without the stand...

Gimpymoo
16-05-2015, 23:23
Blimey, that has dropped in price like a rock.

May consider getting one for a giggle.

TRCThrobbinhood
17-05-2015, 10:53
I bought one of these for Project Cars, didn't need much calibration at all. I don't have space for a full wheel setup so this was the only option aside from a pad.

I immediately noticed my laptimes were 2-3 seconds faster on most tracks, really impressed with it to be honest so I would recommend it if you can't get a full wheel. Even the LED shift lights work if you use the fanaLEDs application.

The only downside for me (aside from no FFB) is that the gear paddles are a little far from the wheel but other than that it's great, if tiring without the stand...
Can you assign gears to the buttons instead?

Neith
17-05-2015, 11:55
Yeah you can assign pretty much every button on it so if the paddles are an issue you can re-assign. I've got used to it, I just think they'd have been better a little closer to the back of the wheel.

Oldmanhaggis
18-05-2015, 05:20
Just strapped to existing g27 wheel? colour me intrigued.

I have 5 different wheels that i attach to the G27 body using a homemade quick release system so the FFB remains. Depending on the type of car im using i have a wheel to suit. Shame there's no multi profile support in pcars tho, measns i have to assign all the buttons again every time i change wheel. Ill post some pics if anyone wants to see.

Topsie
18-05-2015, 07:49
Bought one the other day to replace my 360 controller. Took a while to get used to it, but really love it now, even without a stand.
If you also download fanaleds you can get the rpm LEDs active in PCars

thomasjohansen
27-05-2015, 20:32

how did you get pcars to recognize both g27 axes+ffb and the SRW-1 buttons?

and ignore the "motion" in the SRW-1?

and would it might be possible to "keep" the g27 padles? and would there be a point with it, steel is better but double padles is good too if there's a use?

k.merse
27-05-2015, 21:00
I think thiss G27+SRW thingy would deserve its own topic. I'm really intrigued to hear more about it :)

Neil Hopwood
27-05-2015, 21:01
how did you get pcars to recognize both g27 axes+ffb and the SRW-1 buttons?

and ignore the "motion" in the SRW-1?

and would it might be possible to "keep" the g27 padles? and would there be a point with it, steel is better but double padles is good too if there's a point?

Set the in game controller to the G27 and it looks for that axis as the steering. Then remap the controls using the buttons on the SRW-s1. Pretty easy. Works great.

There is a program you can use to map the rotary switches, and use Fanaleds to get the shift lights working.

thomasjohansen
28-05-2015, 06:33
Just bought a minor used SRW-1 last night.

When it arrives I can make a thread about making it work with G27 / pcars

Pcars Driver 44
28-05-2015, 08:14
Shame we can't this to work on the Xbox one. I just haven't the room for a wheel :( . Looks pretty cool I'd like to give it a whirl ;)

jgaganas
28-05-2015, 10:50
Does this wheel rotation only, or does it also has sensors for forward/backward left/right (2 more axis)?

Would probably be great for a Bike-Controller...

Neil Hopwood
28-05-2015, 10:51
Does this wheel rotation only, or does it also has sensors for forward/backward left/right (2 more axis)?

Would probably be great for a Bike-Controller...

It has two paddle on the back (where the clutch paddles are on a real f1 car) that are gas and brake

jgaganas
28-05-2015, 10:53
No i ment additional "motion-sensor" axis (for leaning left/right/forward/backward).

Neil Hopwood
28-05-2015, 10:54
No i ment additional "motion-sensor" axis (for leaning left/right/forward/backward).

It only does left/right

cerbrus2
28-05-2015, 11:48
Never thought about using it on the g27. Had for for ages now. I won it playing simraceway. Never taken it out the box lol

thomasjohansen
29-05-2015, 06:09
this is how it should be done:

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj247/DeanClaxton/SRW-S1/Finally_zps920d8864.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj247/DeanClaxton/SRW-S1/AdapterPlate_zps54dbc226.jpg

pictures from this thread:

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?p=16712545#post16712545

cant wait to get my SRW-1 by mail.

thomasjohansen
31-05-2015, 14:35
anyone know what program to control the rotating buttons on the WRS-s1? those with multiple settings

thomasjohansen
31-05-2015, 15:41
anyone know what program to control the rotating buttons on the WRS-s1? those with multiple settings

found, "SRW-S1 dial utility"
http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/6450-releasing-srw-s1-dial-utility-beta-16/

which couldnt install on my win7-64bit until I had installed the vjoy driver from
http://vjoystick.sourceforge.net/site/index.php/download-a-install

Now the rotary dials works, I can see them rotate in "SRW-S1 dial utility", but cant assign them in Pcars, not reconized in the controller configuration. by the way all the other buttons on WRS-S1 is reconized.

Anyone know how to get med reconized in the game.

thomasjohansen
25-07-2015, 10:29
Promised to show how to fit a SRW-S1 on a G27.

Beware, its an all evening project to dismantle, wiring, soldering, and to get it all fit.

first I measured up the back of the SRW-S1 to make a scematic of the bracket to be cut in acryl

then when I got the bracket, I dismantled it to remove the bits I didnt needed

Like theise plastic paddels and their switches, they arnt needed, because G27 have som nice metal paddels.

This is the lasercut brackes, two 3mm plates with different hole sizes. will be glued together to be one 6mm plate with "sunken" holes, giving room the wheel srews.
Its actually not that expensive to get it lasercut. can upload the pdf scematic if you want it.

Mounting the wheel to the G27, is the hardest part, especially dismantle the G27 and getting the usb cable for the wheel through the center og the G27.

Took me a couple of hours, to cut the usb cable end and solder it back together, drill/adjust the acrylplates, and find the correct screws.

first plate mounted

Cable end that need to be cut before it can go through the center of the G27, and then resoldered on.

both plates mounted, see the diffrent hole sizes.
When it all fit, glue them together. Reused three of the G27 screws.

Here is the finished result.

the back screws are new ones so you'll have to find some that fit.

Notice:
The three dials on the wheel, works with an utility (see link in previus post), but I cant get them to work/reconized in Pcars!

I have set up the Wheel as a "g27" in pcars.

Trimaz
10-09-2015, 12:29
Could I trouble you for the CAD drawing of the backing plate. My SRW-S1 arrived today and I like how you mounted it. Your plate looks perfect.

Thanks in advanced.

Silraed
10-09-2015, 13:12
That is a pretty awesome mod. Is there any flex in the wheel under heavy FFB or is it rigid enough to cope with the forces fine?

Kruleworld
11-09-2015, 02:12
The only downside for me (aside from no FFB) is that the gear paddles are a little far from the wheel ...
i'm sure that would be moddable with short extensions screwed to the paddles.

thomasjohansen
19-09-2015, 07:15
Sorry havent seen your posts.

the drawings can be downloaded here:

http://we.tl/ttH2fRQnFZ (url will only last a few weeks, will upload to ftp soon)

there is a dxf file made in qcad and a pdf.

I ended up drilling some of the holes bigger, but thats easy to do afterwards. The bracked should end up being atleast 6mm thick, thats why there are two plates, because I could only find a place where they could cut 3mm.
But those plates should be glued to make them stronger. Mine isnt and sometimes it gives in a bit or makes sounds. So far it has "survived" 200 hours or so of driving.

thomasjohansen
19-09-2015, 09:31
That is a pretty awesome mod. Is there any flex in the wheel under heavy FFB or is it rigid enough to cope with the forces fine?

It it should be perfect, the two plates should be glued, and maybe one more plate, about 1,5mm thick placed in the gape in the picture bellow

rocafella1978
19-09-2015, 18:08
a nice wheel to customize! have heard it a lot and on forums! nice work at all who have customized theirs, nice posts and great pictures!

Villeneuve27
11-02-2016, 13:56
I tried to find a way to get the turning buttons to work, i found theire is a tool Dial utility but i find no working download link. Any one here has a link or can send the software to me?

thomasjohansen
16-04-2016, 23:34
the software works but the dials still dont work in pcars.

PM your email I can send you the dial program

mesathlon
09-12-2016, 19:49
Hi, i buy The simraceway for g27 mod, pelase, can you share The schematics of plate adaptar whit me? Thanks.
PD sorry by muy bad english..