PDA

View Full Version : Do you change tyres every pitstop?

WhiteNinja636
16-05-2015, 10:55
Im hoping this hasnt been asked before, i had browsed a few pages.

Since there isnt a tyre wear indicator i am having trouble knowing when i need to change tyres.
In a previous Mclaren F1 3 hour race i changed tyres every pit stop but it seemed the AI didnt so i had to drive like a mad man to make up the 10+secs.

So in long races do you need to change tyres every fuel pit stop? or can i get away with changing them every 2nd-3rd pit stop?

I have just started the LeMans 24hr race in a LMP1, wish me luck.

X Gabe 62 X
16-05-2015, 10:58
Until we get the (unbelievably omitted) wear indicator... Who knows?

zorranco-
16-05-2015, 11:06
Have them said something about including wear indicator in future patches?

Bailey
16-05-2015, 14:49
To be honest, the guys in real life don't have tire wear indicators either. Change 'em when you need 'em.
~Bailey

VR-42
16-05-2015, 15:06
I hope there is not a wear indicator, after all this is a sim and real race cars dont have them

PeteUplink
16-05-2015, 15:30
It depends on the type of racing I'm doing. In Le Mans endurance races I don't always change tyres when I pit if I feel the current set is still working fine.

PeteUplink
16-05-2015, 15:33
I hope there is not a wear indicator, after all this is a sim and real race cars dont have them

No, but a real life driver can see and feel how the tyres are behaving by his eyes and the feel of the car beneath him. As sim racers we really only have our eyes to rely on to tell us that the car is sliding, so the game should have some other form of indicator to make up for the lack of physical feedback. Unless SMS/Bandai are prepared to supply us all with pneumatic seats.

Smegsterman
16-05-2015, 15:38

Real drivers also do have team behind them guiding them on pits strategy and when to come in etc so having indicator is playing part of pit crew in way.

wraithsrike
16-05-2015, 15:38
To be honest, the guys in real life don't have tire wear indicators either. Change 'em when you need 'em.
~Bailey

Can't believe you've said this, real life drivers are in.consent contact with there pit crew, there pit crews know exactly when a tyre change is necessary or how long a certain make or type is likely to last and information is given to the driver both at the start of the race and over headset, same applies for fuel ect.

This is a game it's not real life there are so many variables that cannot be simulated therefore provisions have to be made.

When I.pull my virtual car into the pits I have no crew to talk to I can not ask about my tyre's I can not see my tyre's why because this is not real life it is however a game and as such measures need to be put in.place to compensate.

Bailey
16-05-2015, 16:33
Can't believe you've said this, real life drivers are in.consent contact with there pit crew, there pit crews know exactly when a tyre change is necessary or how long a certain make or type is likely to last and information is given to the driver both at the start of the race and over headset, same applies for fuel ect.

This is a game it's not real life there are so many variables that cannot be simulated therefore provisions have to be made.

When I.pull my virtual car into the pits I have no crew to talk to I can not ask about my tyre's I can not see my tyre's why because this is not real life it is however a game and as such measures need to be put in.place to compensate.

Sorry if I popped your bubble :P
I have been doing endurance simracing for years and I feel quite comfortable not having tire wear indicators. As some have said, real drivers have their eyes and are able to feel the wear of the tires. We, as sim racers, also have this capability, given to us through the FFB (weather decent or not). It is quite possible to determine the ability of the tires through the FFB in this way, as long as the game has accounted for it.

Yes, a driver has a pit crew to help him out, but at the end of the day the only person that knows the current state of his tires is the driver at the wheel, period. You arent going to call team radio and say "How do my tires feel?" That is up to you. You can say, "How do my tires look?" and they can respond "It looks like we'll bring you in at lap 45, 5 more laps, keep pushing." As for tire strategy, that's what the practice sessions are for!

~Bailey
I am actually serving as my teams race engineer in a 3hr Fuji multiclass race at the moment in RF2 :)
It's tons of fun of you can find a nice league. Try it out!

wraithsrike
16-05-2015, 16:57
Sorry if I popped your bubble :P
I have been doing endurance simracing for years and I feel quite comfortable not having tire wear indicators. As some have said, real drivers have their eyes and are able to feel the wear of the tires. We, as sim racers, also have this capability, given to us through the FFB (weather decent or not). It is quite possible to determine the ability of the tires through the FFB in this way, as long as the game has accounted for it.

Yes, a driver has a pit crew to help him out, but at the end of the day the only person that knows the current state of his tires is the driver at the wheel, period. You arent going to call team radio and say "How do my tires feel?" That is up to you. You can say, "How do my tires look?" and they can respond "It looks like we'll bring you in at lap 45, 5 more laps, keep pushing." As for tire strategy, that's what the practice sessions are for!

~Bailey
I am actually serving as my teams race engineer in a 3hr Fuji multiclass race at the moment in RF2 :)
It's tons of fun of you can find a nice league. Try it out!
Sorry if you popped my bubble? A necessary comment really ?

I answered in reference to "real" not in reference to how you play your "game".

Your happy to think / believe your "game" dictates real life, myself personaly I'm happy to except that this is a game and as such needs such measures in place inorder to compensate.

X Gabe 62 X
16-05-2015, 17:16
~Bailey

If it was modelled properly, that would be doable.... But heck, the wet tyres are just as fast and last as long, as the slicks....!

RyanHieronymus
16-05-2015, 17:17
So if your not interested in simulating a real life race why not turn off tire wear?

How do you think race engineers get data on their tires? Practice practice practice...

Just ask yourself how the tires feel when you pit. If they don't feel good, and your lap times are falling off, go ahead and change them. If they feel good, just splash some fuel in and call it done.

JDFSSS
16-05-2015, 17:47
At the moment I believe tire wear is bugged and not working correctly, except for on the Formula A car. Tires do wear out, but at a much slower rate than what was intended. So you are better off to not change tires often if at all (maybe change tires once every 3 fuel runs?).

I also don't need a tire wear indicator to know when to change tires. If you can't tell if your tires are wearing out by judging how much grip you have through corners and looking at your lap times then what are you doing?

Antiversum
16-05-2015, 17:50

I have a simple solution for it: Make the overlay optional.

wraithsrike
16-05-2015, 17:53
Ok my times are not dropping off but I pit for a splash of fuel, 3 laps later my times start dropping off because my tyre's are now getting low, if I'd had some kind of communication with my pit crew like in real life or a wear indicator like ingame I would of know and not have to pit again and possibly cost my the race but as it stands as of now I haven't got a clue.

In real life a pit engineer would along with the crew set-up a race strategy it is not all down to the driver.

In real life a race is not won by the drive alone but by a whole team, a team bouncing information between themselves, in this game you do not have the luxury of that team so measures need to be implemented if it's to be based on real life.

But at the end of the day this is a game any aid can always be made optional allowing you to play your way and others to play there's.

hkraft300
17-05-2015, 03:16
No, but a real life driver can see and feel how the tyres are behaving by his eyes and the feel of the car beneath him. As sim racers we really only have our eyes to rely on to tell us that the car is sliding, so the game should have some other form of indicator to make up for the lack of physical feedback. Unless SMS/Bandai are prepared to supply us all with pneumatic seats.

I can tell when my tires are not in the optimal temp (even if they show green) from the sound and feel of it. They behave like cold tires when they're wearing out. No need for tire wear indicators.

I'm using a controller and it's obvious enough.

rolandk10
17-05-2015, 03:26
There is always the option of using an external telemetry app. I use Dash Meter Pro and Hud Dash. Both are for android and they each cost a few bucks. They read the telemetry in real time from the game. Dash Meter Pro has a screen that shows all 4 tires temps and wear. By watching this I can confirm that tires wear out very slowly in general. This should have been included if not in realtime at least like a stat sheet we can look at during a pit; but until it is, these apps are an option.

EDIT: In case it needs mentioning, these apps only work on the PC version.

X Gabe 62 X
17-05-2015, 14:09
I can tell when my tires are not in the optimal temp (even if they show green) from the sound and feel of it. They behave like cold tires when they're wearing out. No need for tire wear indicators.

I'm using a controller and it's obvious enough.

But were not all expert sim drivers.... Must be great to be you.

For us mere mortals, not much to ask is it?

Every other sim manages a tyre wear indicator.

You can always turn it of.

P. S bet you can't tell the difference between worn tyres (inter/hard/med/slick/wet/extreme wet) and a damp/moist/wet/very wet..... track. Lol.

More variables there than in Einstein's Relativity Theory. But, no match for you and your controller, huh?

miagi
17-05-2015, 14:37
It is totally noticeable when the tires go down because of wear. The Pirelli F1 tire is quite a bad example of a tire, as it falls of a cliff quite suddenly. Esp. GT tires have a more sensible degradation.
On the Group 5 TGC race we recently did everyone noticed the tires losing grip, not because of slides, it was because of lap times. You drive like you do but suddenly you are 1, 2 or even 3 secs down on your normal pace, then you know it's time to change tires or try to manage it to the end.

What?! Have you watched F1 in the last 3 years? Mostly the pit crew is asking the driver how the tires are doing. All the pit crew has is tire pressure data that they use to calculate tire temp and lap times. What the teams do is make some long runs in practice and then they have an estimation how long the tire will last and make a pit strategy based on that. Maybe they even see something on the tire temp that tells them when it's time to change, ultimately they see it on lap times but than they pit 2 laps too late and lose time.

Esp. when conditions change from practice to race, the teams have to relay on the feedback of the driver.

Ok my times are not dropping off but I pit for a splash of fuel, 3 laps later my times start dropping off because my tyre's are now getting low, if I'd had some kind of communication with my pit crew like in real life or a wear indicator like ingame I would of know and not have to pit again and possibly cost my the race but as it stands as of now I haven't got a clue.
So you obviously havn't done your homework. You know this is a sim, and in a sim you need to do a bit of preparation compared to simcade games.

In real life a pit engineer would DO HIS HOMEWORK.
Fixed it for you ;)

B
P. S bet you can't tell the difference between worn tyres (inter/hard/med/slick/wet/extreme wet) and a damp/moist/wet/very wet..... track. Lol.

Sure we can, damp/moist/wet/very wet tracks are wet and look wet. Visual weather system woohoo.

wraithsrike
17-05-2015, 15:10
It is totally noticeable when the tires go down because of wear. The Pirelli F1 tire is quite a bad example of a tire, as it falls of a cliff quite suddenly. Esp. GT tires have a more sensible degradation.
On the Group 5 TGC race we recently did everyone noticed the tires losing grip, not because of slides, it was because of lap times. You drive like you do but suddenly you are 1, 2 or even 3 secs down on your normal pace, then you know it's time to change tires or try to manage it to the end.

What?! Have you watched F1 in the last 3 years? Mostly the pit crew is asking the driver how the tires are doing. All the pit crew has is tire pressure data that they use to calculate tire temp and lap times. What the teams do is make some long runs in practice and then they have an estimation how long the tire will last and make a pit strategy based on that. Maybe they even see something on the tire temp that tells them when it's time to change, ultimately they see it on lap times but than they pit 2 laps too late and lose time.

Esp. when conditions change from practice to race, the teams have to relay on the feedback of the driver.

So you obviously havn't done your homework. You know this is a sim, and in a sim you need to do a bit of preparation compared to simcade games.

Fixed it for you ;)

Sure we can, damp/moist/wet/very wet tracks are wet and look wet. Visual weather system woohoo.

All this because people ask for a optional wear indicator, it's a game matey and that's how 90% of players see it, but ah you try and make it as difficult for most players as possible and see how long it's life span lasts.

All we're asking for is an indicator if you'd sooner not use one here's an idea for you don't if it's optional your man pride won't be damaged.

miagi
17-05-2015, 15:28
All this because people ask for a optional wear indicator, it's a game matey and that's how 90% of players see it, but ah you try and make it as difficult for most players as possible and see how long it's life span lasts.

All we're asking for is an indicator if you'd sooner not use one here's an idea for you don't if it's optional your man pride won't be damaged.

I do check the tire wear when I prepare for TGC races. Using Tom Shanes Profiler, it helps me save some time. It still doesn't tell me how it will evolve thru the whole stint, but it is a good enough estimation most of the time. But again, in real life there is no system that actually measures the wear. It's a more realsitic experience without that indicator.

The tire temps will drop as the tire is worn, that is a good enough indicator already.

Bailey
17-05-2015, 15:33
I wouldn't mind having an option for an integrated tire wear indicator.
~Bailey

Failrunner
17-05-2015, 16:10
I never go into the pit stop. The first time I went into a pit stop years ago was in Daytona USA in the arcades and I lost because everyone just left me in the dust when I was getting my stupid tires changed by some stupid slow poke polygonal morons! Thanks polygon people! I'll never forget that! >=( Anyways seriously because of that kind of thing i'd rather drive my car into the ground than go into a pit stop. :)

Josh Knight
17-05-2015, 16:57
I feed up with stuck wheel nuts costing my Endurance race victories. 3 times in a row now. Absolute BS!!

WhiteNinja636
17-05-2015, 23:44
I'm not too fussed about not having a tyre wear indicator but I feel like there needs to be some way of figuring out how worn the tyres are, even if it's the ever silent race engineer giving tips and suggestions on tyre wear. It's pretty inrealistic to expect everyone to spend several days testing the distance of every different tyre compound on different cars and tracks.
Something like the technical huds that forza has or a customisable hud would be ideal.

Choppa24
18-05-2015, 16:27
Some of these replies about simulation crack me up. A tire wear indicator would be a great option to add. If you don't want it because you are great at knowing your tire wear by the feel of the car... turn it off. But for us normal folk, we would greatly appreciate it.

leftturney
18-05-2015, 16:54
What if (after the pit) the engineer told you how much was left on the tires you just replaced in the pit?

OR / AND.. If the tire indicators were based on qualifying / warmup / practice sessions. For example, you did 10 laps of laguna seca in qualifying and the engineer saw your tires were at about 70% at the end of the session, so the pit engineer knows you can safely go 30 laps.

Just thinking about some more realistic options other than a counter.

Bailey
18-05-2015, 23:55
What if (after the pit) the engineer told you how much was left on the tires you just replaced in the pit?

OR / AND.. If the tire indicators were based on qualifying / warmup / practice sessions. For example, you did 10 laps of laguna seca in qualifying and the engineer saw your tires were at about 70% at the end of the session, so the pit engineer knows you can safely go 30 laps.

Just thinking about some more realistic options other than a counter.
I have a better idea that might be more realistic but requires some pretty smart AI/engineering.
After a practice or qual your engineer compares your lap times to themselves and to others and from that they create a pit stop strategy.
~Bailey

WhiteNinja636
19-05-2015, 00:31
After thinking about it i still think an indicator is the way to go. You will still need to do some testing to work out how the tyre performance drops off over race distance. The tyre wear in the game is dynamic correct? So the tyre performance drop off between 100-80% might be quick while 50-30% might be quite slow and progressive.
So you still need to manage and create pit strategies, it would just become easier to do so.

Prometheus1955
19-05-2015, 20:26
Monitor your lap times. If you are dropping off by a second or two it's time to change. Your runs in practice should give you an idea then you can set it up in your race strategy

WhiteNinja636
19-05-2015, 20:46
Not really. Often the practice for endurance races is 1hr, when I pit every 50 mins in the race that doesn't give me a chance to test how long the tyres will last, especially if you want to try different tyre compounds.

The only way to know at the moment is to spend several hours testing each tyre compound for each car, which is unrealistic for the average gamer.

If there was a way to check the tyres after each session that would be ideal. I'm a motorbike racer and the first thing I look at after any amount of time on track is my tyres.
It's a shame that the developers have put so much work into the tyre modelling then left us not being able to appreciate it as they are so ambiguous.

spinkick
19-05-2015, 20:52
~Bailey

Yeah but you'd have a visual indication that they look pretty bad or not.

Umer Ahmad
19-05-2015, 20:56
Casey from SMS was aiming for plYers to be able double fuel stint the hard compounds. Maybe he can share some notes.

JDFSSS
19-05-2015, 20:58
All this talk about having a tire wear indicator is a bit pointless until they get tire wear working properly. In the game's current state you can easily drive for hours without needing to change tires.

Robbo-92
19-05-2015, 21:12
Quite often in the World Endurance Championship (WEC) it is common for a car to double stint their tyres at least once throughout the race, however most rounds of the WEC are 6 hours long and because of the length each team is only allowed a certain amount of tyres so at least one double stint on tyres is a necessity after practice and qualifying. However in the 24 hours of Le Mans teams don't have a tyre limit with it being a 24 hour race.

So I would say if you can change tyres before you have finished being filled up with fuel then change tyres, if you are just doing a splash and dash (often in the latter stages where you need a 'splash' of fuel so you can reach the end of the race) then just top up with fuel and don't agonise over your tyres.

As for how can tyre wear be portrayed in the game? I'd say having your engineer updating you on your tyres is probably the most realistic.

JDFSSS
19-05-2015, 21:54
Quite often in the World Endurance Championship (WEC) it is common for a car to double stint their tyres at least once throughout the race, however most rounds of the WEC are 6 hours long and because of the length each team is only allowed a certain amount of tyres so at least one double stint on tyres is a necessity after practice and qualifying. However in the 24 hours of Le Mans teams don't have a tyre limit with it being a 24 hour race.

So I would say if you can change tyres before you have finished being filled up with fuel then change tyres, if you are just doing a splash and dash (often in the latter stages where you need a 'splash' of fuel so you can reach the end of the race) then just top up with fuel and don't agonise over your tyres.

As for how can tyre wear be portrayed in the game? I'd say having your engineer updating you on your tyres is probably the most realistic.

I don't think you can refuel and change tires at the same time in this game. At least in the races I've done, the actions were done separately, so changing tires will always add time to your pit stop no matter how much fuel you are taking.

WhiteNinja636
19-05-2015, 22:19
I don't think you can refuel and change tires at the same time in this game. At least in the races I've done, the actions were done separately, so changing tires will always add time to your pit stop no matter how much fuel you are taking.

That's my experience too, the refuelling takes the least amount of time. When you come into the pits it gives you an ET on how long the pit will take and it usually adds 20+ Secs to the pit stop if you choose to change tyres but it typically ends up being around 49secs -1 min after the pit crew constantly loose the wheel nuts.

Robbo-92
19-05-2015, 22:21

That I did not know! I'm quite surprised if that is true as pitting for fuel and tyres at the same time is common practice in various racing series such as WEC.

Edit, so you can add fuel and change tyres in the same stop but they complete each action separately? If so they are following the same rule as in GT/WEC racing where only two pit members are allowed to work on the car at one time. I though that even though it is a sim racing game they may have allowed the work to be carried out together, obviously not! I really like how in depth SMS have gone with Project CARS :)

Bailey
20-05-2015, 01:15
That I did not know! I'm quite surprised if that is true as pitting for fuel and tyres at the same time is common practice in various racing series such as WEC.

Edit, so you can add fuel and change tyres in the same stop but they complete each action separately? If so they are following the same rule as in GT/WEC racing where only two pit members are allowed to work on the car at one time. I though that even though it is a sim racing game they may have allowed the work to be carried out together, obviously not! I really like how in depth SMS have gone with Project CARS :)

They actually went with the "one pit member" being able to work on the car at a time. The guy holding the sign in front of you is using his mind powers to service the car. You know he gets tired because he drops the wheel nut 3 times every stop :P
~Bailey

hkraft300
22-05-2015, 08:15
But were not all expert sim drivers.... Must be great to be you.
For us mere mortals, not much to ask is it?
Every other sim manages a tyre wear indicator.
You can always turn it of.
More variables there than in Einstein's Relativity Theory. But, no match for you and your controller, huh?

Not an expert sim driver - I'm a console hoe graduating from Gran Turismo + Forza. PCars has brought me to the dark side!

Of course there are more variables than Einstein's theory. The mathematics involved in the data collection, modeling and digital replication of any real-life scenario (ball bouncing on different surfaces, for example) is incredible - What these developers manage to recreate on our HD screens is a proper brain fuck.

Don't know what you're driving in the game but spend enough time with Formula/LMP cars you'll notice obvious-enough difference between soft/hard/wet/inter running them in dry conditions. They behave slightly different in transitions and they handle temperature differently too. haven't spent enough time in wet races to comment on that.

I've had same slicks on same conditions in the same race wear out in 5 laps and last >10 laps.
Run a long enough stint and ben will chime in on the radio and tell you to box for a scheduled stop or you've killed your tires.

Credit goes not to my "skills" but to the developers for transferring the real world effects of noise, lap times and visual behaviour of the cars in this "game", to my TV and the little rumble-things in my video game controller.

Before you get hysterical on a forum, see and learn what this game has to offer.

Your condescending arsehole tone is unnecessary.

dwalldorf
22-05-2015, 08:42
I don't really understand the wrangling about tire wear indicator and why this can't be since this is a sim. What the heck? I can blend in all kind of telemetry data. This cannot be done in a real GT3 car as well (at least not in races). It still is a sim. So why shouldn't it be a sim anymore if I could see my tire wear? nonsense.

If they bring this feature up somewhen, we will still be able to hide it if we don't want to see it.

Wootball
22-05-2015, 09:07
"It's a sim, we can't put tyre wear indicators in because the driver wouldn't see it in real life"

http://i.imgur.com/P6MHcmQ.png

http://i.imgur.com/9bnT8FK.png

qbasiz
22-05-2015, 09:46
Whats all the fuzz about, i can understand that expierenced drivers who have spend years developing this game are comfortable without any form of HUD.
But i use practice to learn the track/car, during practice condition can change this can have a small effect on fuel but huge effect on the tires.
The fuel bit i can work out, is you know your average consumption per lap. But why not have a optional tire wear (maybe in pitbox only) indicator,
this way its more transparant to people who are new to the game (everyone that just bought it) and they can turn it on/off as they see fit.
There are different ways you can use: percentages or color coding, or if you want to go balls out use a visual indicator like:

I feel not having it because it's a sim i not really valid here, half the people that are using this argument use the data app's themselves.
If this still is a community assisted sim, then listen to the community and not the "in-crowd"

wraithsrike
22-05-2015, 10:37
"It's a sim, we can't put tyre wear indicators in because the driver wouldn't see it in real life"

Isn't iracing also a sim?

STINGER_LP
22-05-2015, 11:15
Some of these replies about simulation crack me up. A tire wear indicator would be a great option to add. If you don't want it because you are great at knowing your tire wear by the feel of the car... turn it off. But for us normal folk, we would greatly appreciate it.
Despite that I also think that having graphical indicator of a tire wear is not very realistic, if this can be done properly from the technical (programming) point of view and is reasonable for SMS from financial point of view, then I don't see a reason it shouldn't be done as an optional element, that can be easily turned off in the game settings and even maybe as an configurable option in an online race by the hoster.
Moreover, this can be a good reference tool for beginners who will be able to compare handling of the car with the state of tire wear indicator and learn to feel a tire wear themselves via car behavior and FFB.

Henrique Clausing
22-05-2015, 11:29
Until we get the (unbelievably omitted) wear indicator... Who knows?

Are you turning too slow after some laps?? Time to change the tyres... It's your tyre wear indicator

wraithsrike
22-05-2015, 12:02
Iracing = Top Sim = wear icon, why are a handful of you getting so anal of an optional icon.

Even the top sims out there have it.

In real life isn't valid this isn't real life no matter how much some of you pretend it is.

And in.real life a driver lives sleeps eats racing as do his pit crew, most of us on the other hand get an hour or so after work colleague family ect will don't have the time or experience or expertise of a real racing driver, why because we aren't real racing drivers that have spent most of there life on a race trac, neither do most of us have the luxury of spending most of our life playing a game,,, Geez it's only an icon, if your that great at playing games turn it off.

justonce68
23-05-2015, 08:28

You can feel how the car is reacting under you with FFB, its not just a visual thing if your FFB is good, you also have audible cues that you are losing traction.

wraithsrike
23-05-2015, 15:27

Real drivers don't race a championship from there armchair or sit in front of a screen nor are they able to pause their race to use the toilet, but we still can and do.

It's a sim yes, it's not real we're not real racing drivers, we are gamers.