PDA

View Full Version : PS4 Graphics

stalksey
16-05-2015, 17:25
Hey,

I dont know if this is a problem I am having, everyone might be having, or whether its just the capability of the PS4.

But basically, quite a lot of textures in game keep rendering as I am passing, making the graphics look ropey. This includes objects further in the distance 'popping in' to view, like as if I was playing on a low-spec PC :culpability:

I think it may be linked to lighting... but anyway, has anyone else been having this problem? and could it be solved with a patch that streamlines the graphics to the PS4's graphics card?

I'll try and get some screen shots up at some point.

Skullblits69
16-05-2015, 17:33
Ive not had this problem. How strange

stalksey
16-05-2015, 17:39
Its a digital download, about 20GB in size. I was half tempted to redownload it. Is this a waste of time?

Skullblits69
16-05-2015, 17:49
Its a digital download, about 20GB in size. I was half tempted to redownload it. Is this a waste of time?

I honestly dont know. Im not even sure how digital works.

bent_toe
16-05-2015, 18:00
Corrupt files, download and re-install and it will work.

Mr.Smoke
16-05-2015, 18:35
Thats why i leary on digital games. Hard copies cant be beat IMO.

Fanatest
16-05-2015, 19:05
Hey,

I dont know if this is a problem I am having, everyone might be having, or whether its just the capability of the PS4.

But basically, quite a lot of textures in game keep rendering as I am passing, making the graphics look ropey. This includes objects further in the distance 'popping in' to view, like as if I was playing on a low-spec PC :culpability:

I think it may be linked to lighting... but anyway, has anyone else been having this problem? and could it be solved with a patch that streamlines the graphics to the PS4's graphics card?

I'll try and get some screen shots up at some point.

For what it's worth...
I've been extensively testing the PS4/XBO version of PCars for "reasons"

I can confirm that this does occur.
The 2 main culprits for me are:

Auzra Circuit: (watch the buildings load in front of you, as you drive toward them off the start line)

Brandshatch: (Drive out the pits and down haillwoods hill, at the sharp right hand turn (turn 2) as you drive toward graham hill bend (turn 3) don't look at the road, look up toward the start finish line (which is directly in front of you) and you will see the fence and its shadows loading as you drive toward it.

Coincidently I happen to have videos of this in action, purely because I was recoding something else and happened to notice this bug, while investigating another ;)

Mr.RacerGuy
16-05-2015, 20:47
Standard SOP for PS4: Don't download games or stuff for separate titles simultaneously. The game data can get mixed or fragmented. In one instance, I would click on one game and the PS4 would play another. I had downloaded them at the same time along with their updates.

stalksey
16-05-2015, 22:09
Omg, this is actually it then. I was downloading a ps plus game at the same time! Thanks a lot, will try a re download :cool:

TomekCB
18-05-2015, 11:01
That's a poorly ported game and has nothing to do with corrupted files. When you know how the ps4 and other modern pc's handle downloads and data it's impossible to corrupt data this way. Data is crc checked after download. If corrupted, the game would never start our install. Redownload will not help. Only if sms finish this bugy mess will fix this.

MrStef85
18-05-2015, 11:17
Don't have any issues with the digital version.

TheLethalDose
18-05-2015, 11:36
Just lol at the "corrupt digital download affecting textures" talk.

Some people are just more observant than others. There is plenty of pop in textures in the disc version too. Just a poorly optimised game.

olliefroomes
18-05-2015, 11:38
I have a hard copy and I've had graphical issues, just silly ones seemingly... for example in the pits, a car in my rear view that isn't actually there... trees just disappearing into thin air the rear view too. Some of the textures seem funny at points, like it's struggled with the rendering almost?

dwalldorf
18-05-2015, 13:56
I can't promise that downloading and installing the game again won't fix the problem. But as a developer myself (not of this game of course) I would be a 100% mindblown if
a) two separate downloads would cause reproducible errors (note that errors may always happen - I doubt downloading two things at a time will get stuff messed up)
b) this has anything to do with corrupt files.

Thrust me, there is no way something like this is caused by corrupt files. As TomekCB already said, downloaded files are checksum-compared after download. It can happen that data you download is corrupt. But it is near impossible that the checksum of the corrupt data is equal to the actual checksum. By near impossible, I don't mean that there even is a 1% chance of this happening. This will not happen.

HarryHoodlum
18-05-2015, 14:01
I don't see much pop-in with this game at all. Sometimes at night the objects that are being lit up by my headlights seem to pop-in more than during the day. The pop-out in the rearview isn't a glitch, just a way of saving resources for more important things (cars don't pop out of the rear-view, but trees and stuff will).

Did reinstalling work, OP?

joridiculous
18-05-2015, 14:12
Only thing to "fix" pop-inn is more downgrading of the graphics. You can re-download and re-install until your HDD say poof, it want change anything with the graphics in a game.
Pop-inn is thj least of graphics problems in this game. The ghosting is horrible, and combined with the pop-inn makes its really hard to look ahead of your car.

btw: If a download (even 10 at the same time) produces faulty files you got something seriously wrong with your machine. Files are constantly checked while transfer is going on and after transfer is complete.

JessicaWalter
18-05-2015, 14:19
i haven't had any problems with my digital copy.

i can confirm (with no actual technical knowledge of what's happening) that the ps4 doesn't react well with multiple game downloads (of different games). i downloaded 2 of the free games at the same time months ago and it used the icon for one of the ggames as the icon for both, and it wouldn't apply the update to one that needed it to be playable. i googled around and found a lot of people having problems with multidownloads and the fix was to delete and redownload one at a time. it fixed it for me so i stopped googling.

edit: i know this shouldn't affect in-game graphics/textures, and i wouldn't expect it to. im just confirming the ps4 os doesn't handle multidownloads properly

VBR
18-05-2015, 14:22
I have the Digital Download & have noticed pop up rendering regarding puddles & the wet effects on track. The puddles seem to be rendered for 10 20 feet in front of the car, anything beyond that isn't rendered but pops up as you drive. Noticed it at Donington Park. There's also pop down (for want of a better expression) when you look in your rear view mirrors.

hitmanvega
18-05-2015, 14:25
Definitely some graphical issues...sure SMS will sort it out...not game breaking though(ps4 hard copy).

FoxMulder
18-05-2015, 16:06
Give it a year and this game will be fine. It's like driveclub all over again, not the same kind of issues but still issues.

trancend
18-05-2015, 16:25
Hell yeah i notice all sorts of imperfections, this is a 400$ PS4, the same price for a PC's videcard. Console ports will always be inferior, and always have these type of artifacts. If you want a Mona Lisa youve got pay.

One thing to look out for is the environment reflection off of a wet road, it is a pixelated blob. However Id rather the computations go into the physics than the bling.

dwalldorf
18-05-2015, 16:38
Hell yeah i notice all sorts of imperfections, this is a 400$ PS4, the same price for a PC's videcard. Console ports will always be inferior, and always have these type of artifacts. If you want a Mona Lisa youve got pay.

Unfortunately, that's how it is. Games that are developed primarily for PC, will make use of what is possible with the latest hardware. Anything else would be stupid and to be honest, if you were the guy who invested a $1000 or more in a gaming-PC, you would insist on this. It's a fact that you will not be able to achieve this performance with a console, which costs $400 and will not be updated for a couple of years. Console-games just don't look as good as PC-games.

Another aspect though, is how much effort you put into fixing visual problems, that originate from downscaling the overall visual effects. If you plan on publishing a game primarily for PC but also for consoles, you could take care about implementing the visual effects in a way, that they don't cause a lot of problems, when disabling or lowering the effect. This can be done. And to be honest, I think they didn't do that bad with pCARS. It does have problems, not only visually. But I think they found a good time to release, since the game is playable and I do enjoy it. It's not perfect, it's not finished. That's how it is but I think, if they roll out patches soon, and fix the biggest issues within reasonable time, they did a nice job with this game.

HarryHoodlum
18-05-2015, 16:51
I'd much rather have the game in it's current state than wait for them to iron everything out behind the scenes, causing another delay. It's quite playable. Am I slightly annoyed by the fact that in certain races I got 3rd place because a specific racing team refused to pull in for a mandatory pit? Sure. Does it make the game less fun? Not one bit.

Battlefield 4 was the biggest joke of a launch I've ever been a part of. Game would stutter every 3 steps you took, no Conquest (the main mode in the game) for 6 months...tons of game-breaking crap everywhere. Now, this is one of the best ganes on PS4 is and is near flawless. It's another PC > console port that needed some time to get going. pCars is nowhere near as bad as BF4 so I firmly believe these issues will be snuffed out.

trancend
18-05-2015, 17:32
Console-games just don't look as good as PC-games.

Ports never do, no, but games designed from the ground up for a console look amazing, though these days are pretty much over now that everything is PC based (except Nintendo, thank goodness).

Im getting older, and shld be making some more cheddar soon, its PC time for me... Ive paid my console dues since NES.

Fanatest
18-05-2015, 20:12
Don't have any issues with the digital version.

It's not so much an "issue" just an observation at how the game chooses to render certain targets, and how some people, believe it could be handled better.

Take these 2 PS4 videos for example:

https://vid.me/70tz

https://vid.me/XqNJ

While they are not game breaking, they do completely destroy the immersion factor.
Loading detail as the user drives toward it, not only distracts them, but reminds them that They are playing a computer game.

Personally I'd sacrifice 40% of the track side objects, for a smoother overall experience.

oekoknom
18-05-2015, 22:13
by the way, I just wondered if the pit stops really are not animated on ps4? when i hit the box the game switches into cockpit-camera and I just hear the sounds of tire change etc, but can't change camera or anything. is this normal?

flymar
18-05-2015, 22:26
by the way, I just wondered if the pit stops really are not animated on ps4? when i hit the box the game switches into cockpit-camera and I just hear the sounds of tire change etc, but can't change camera or anything. is this normal?Yes. This is normal right now. You just have to stick with one guy holding board. For now.

Ian Bell
18-05-2015, 22:36
Yes. This is normal right now. You just have to stick with one guy holding board. For now.

For now yes.

Let me outline the issues here guys. In a single make series game (say, any F1 game) we know where the wheels are and we know where the refuelling nozzle is and we can create a series of animated people accordingly.

The problem that we have is that we're simulating a very diverse group of vehicles where all of the above are in a different place, hence a massively increased workload.

We're committed to providing this for all of the shipped cars and we have a team working on it internally as we speak. Ongoing, we may cheat on the DLC cars though.

cloakdeath
19-05-2015, 01:26
That's a poorly ported game and has nothing to do with corrupted files. When you know how the ps4 and other modern pc's handle downloads and data it's impossible to corrupt data this way. Data is crc checked after download. If corrupted, the game would never start our install. Redownload will not help. Only if sms finish this bugy mess will fix this.

Project CARS poorly ported? This game is spoiling other ps4 games for me because of its good FPS.

HarryHoodlum
19-05-2015, 02:08
For now yes.

Let me outline the issues here guys. In a single make series game (say, any F1 game) we know where the wheels are and we know where the refuelling nozzle is and we can create a series of animated people accordingly.

The problem that we have is that we're simulating a very diverse group of vehicles where all of the above are in a different place, hence a massively increased workload.

We're committed to providing this for all of the shipped cars and we have a team working on it internally as we speak. Ongoing, we may cheat on the DLC cars though.

That's awesome! Love the game and think this launch was well timed. Plenty here to enjoy, a few things that could improve. Keep the good times rolling!

oekoknom
20-05-2015, 01:29
ah, tbh, I never thought about that issue. Thx for your answer! Pit stop or not, Project Cars is the best racing sim I've played in years (if not the best ever...)