PDA

View Full Version : Is the SEQUEL, "Project CARS 2" already in the works?

GiGAHEART
16-05-2015, 21:02
Found this:

Ian Bell, head of Slightly Mad Studios, has been chatting on the World of Mass Development forums... about Project Cars 2, it seems.

While previously the not-yet-out Project Cars was referred to as a 'Destiny-like' experience, meaning it would be a platform on which updates were bolted over a period of about a decade, just like the console shooter, it looks like plans are afoot to instead just go straight for a sequel.

The text in Bell's post, which you can see capped over on Pretend Race Cars, is as follows:

A very short update for now as Im jet-lagged to hell and back but the good news is that we will be continuing the WMD setup for pCARS2.
We will open new forum sections when the game (pCARS1) ships to support the new users and you WMD experts will all have access and wed greatly appreciate your assistance advising new users.

Ill be implementing a new non-profit return form of WMD for pCARS2 (to avoid the FSA hassle) and will set a purchase time limit of 2-3 months for those who want to take part. Following this, involvement will be closed. The tiers wont have the higher cost options that we currently have (probably capped at 100 pounds with excellent benefits) and those who want to approach me personally to invest in the new game can do so providing its at or above 50k.

I planned to release the above information with a new web page explaining the details of each purchase tier but were insanely busy and havent found the time. Im aware though that I promised an update so here it is.

In short, we want to continue and extend the community involvement in the pCARS brand which has proven to be so very effective and we want to ensure this great community lives on and thrives into the future.

What do you think? Is it a sequel? A slip of the tongue ("fingers")? A mislabeled add-on for the core game?

I've contacted Slightly Mad for comment the story will be updated should they get back to us.

http://www.pcgamer.com/project-cars-2-might-already-be-in-the-planning-phase/

Now personally, I don't wanna jump to conclusions, but I bought the PS4 version, and I'm gonna support you guys as long as I can thru paid DLCs, but upon reading this, of course it crossed my mind, the questions, doubts... how long are you gonna support us, the gamers who bought the game, when this article states the sequel is already on "planning phase"?

I'm not a techie, I don't really know what's planning phase compared to actual development of the game, but if Mr. Ian Bell of Slightly Mad Studios can read this post, or any of you guys really, please respond to this. Thank you.

*~*

Sankyo
16-05-2015, 21:05
pCARS 1 will be supported for 2 years with patches and DLC, while in the background pCARS 2 will already be started up. That is nothing out of the ordinary in game development, it would be very silly from financial and business perspectives to not start working on the next installment right now.

Umer Ahmad
16-05-2015, 21:05
Havent even decided which area of motorsport or racing genre it would be.

Very much the focus for SMS/WMD now and the coming months is improving 1.0

Smegsterman
16-05-2015, 21:07
Last I heard this game is being supported for several years and be suprised if they dont have a roadmap for pcars2. Takes a long time so makes sense to start development sooner rather than later, pretty much like all devs.

Gimpymoo
16-05-2015, 21:08
For me to support a sequel there needs to be features added to the current game first.

Skullblits69
16-05-2015, 21:18
pCARS 1 will be supported for 2 years with patches and DLC, while in the background pCARS 2 will already be started up. That is nothing out of the ordinary in game development, it would be very silly from financial and business perspectives to not start working on the next installment right now.

You cant make perfection better :=)

DayGlow
17-05-2015, 02:18
What business doesn't plan?

T0MMY
17-05-2015, 02:21
Is a pretty normal development cycle, I remember reading that Dragon Age Inquisition started prototyping before the release of Dragon Age 2.

It took SMS 3 years to make the first game, I expect the next game most likely will need at least 2 years to complete.

NVI0U5
17-05-2015, 03:32
Hopefully they utilize more console users for next game, if they do I'd pay for the tool pack

Cheesenium
17-05-2015, 03:42
Even if they start pCARS 2's full development right now, the game will probably be out in 2018 or 2019 considering the first game took 3 years+ to develop. pCARS 1 should be well polished up and expended by the time the sequel comes.

As much as I didnt like this sort of business strategy but unfortunately, thats how the industry works. RPG developer, InXile ran another crowding campaign for their next game, Torment when their first independently developed RPG, Wasteland 2 just entered full production in 2013. Then now, after the release of Wasteland 2 and Torment isnt even have a release date, that studio has been teasing their next game, Bard IV right now. They had to do this to avoid firing redundant employees in their company as most game developers fires redundant staffs after shipping a game so they kept getting new projects to keep their staff busy.

Heck, even one of my favourite indie developer, Klei, pushed out another game in Early Access, Incognita(known as Invisible Inc now, amazing game too) when their previous game, Dont Starve has just released from Early Access.

It is the unpleasant truth of the game industry so if pCARS 2 is in prototyping stage, I am not too surprised.

menaceuk
17-05-2015, 05:47
Hopefully they utilize more console users for next game, if they do I'd pay for the tool pack

Best you could hope for on console is a BETA late in the life of the development cycle.

GiGAHEART
17-05-2015, 18:53

Appreciate the honesty dude.

Ok, so in other words, more or less in two years, which is 2017 from now, we'll see Project CARS 2 is that a safe assumption?

But alright, at least Project CARS 1 will be supported for the next couple of years.

Is it cool bro to tell us your DLC plans at the moment are, like, will there be "Car Packs" like the ones found on Modified and Limited which will be paid along with free car/s each month?

*~*

k.merse
17-05-2015, 19:01
So basically it was rather pointless to buy PCars as it will be supported for merely 2 years,then I'll have to buy the new game again... I know that some titles come up with a new game each year, but come on... PCars would have deserved more than 2 years of support...

Pr3t3nd3r
17-05-2015, 19:44
It's nice to see they are working on a new pCARS. But honestly things are not standing where they should. Game is not a 99.9% finished product as they claimed before the release.

They still have to gain my thrust based on updates that will be released. We are almost 2 weeks from the release and no major update has been released since than and people are posting bugs and glitches every day so the list isn't getting any shorter.

Lets hope those 2 years will be years of true support and not years of only collecting bugs on the list.

Take this as advice and understand it as a wish for you to have a great success with the game/sequal.

N0body Of The Goat
17-05-2015, 20:31
Just a few days (typically while I'm away) until pCARS 2: AMD Reloaded. ;)

Phishfinger
17-05-2015, 20:56
Is there any chance that Project Cars 2 could also include a Project Bikes?

I don't know if it's possible to have realistic bike and car physics in the same game on track at the same time but if it could be done and include the Isle of Man TT circuit, I would pay you 100 for the game ;)

The TT game on the PS2 was one of my favourite racers, it's criminal that nobody has made an updated version yet.

MaXKiLLz
18-05-2015, 13:23
I don't think it was a very good idea to announce PCars2 so soon. It can make people think their efforts are going towards that when their focus should be 100% on fixing the numerous problems with PCars1.

GiGAHEART
18-05-2015, 18:57
Is there any chance that Project Cars 2 could also include a Project Bikes?

I don't know if it's possible to have realistic bike and car physics in the same game on track at the same time but if it could be done and include the Isle of Man TT circuit, I would pay you 100 for the game ;)

The TT game on the PS2 was one of my favourite racers, it's criminal that nobody has made an updated version yet.

Agree with Phil here.

Tourist Trophy is still the UNDISPUTED, REIGNING & DEFENDING best MotoGP game. And that was a PS2 game from like a decade now.

Project CARS isn't about just cars anyway, since it means "Community Assisted RACING Simulator", motorcycle racing is still racing IMO.

Sign me up for bikes in Project CARS 2!!!

*~*

Mahjik
18-05-2015, 19:05
I don't think it was a very good idea to announce PCars2 so soon. It can make people think their efforts are going towards that when their focus should be 100% on fixing the numerous problems with PCars1.

It technically wasn't announced. SMS was attempting to let the WMD community know that the journey they had been on for the past 4 years wasn't over (some people care more about the journey than the destination). Ian communicated that there was an intent to build a future version of pCARS with a similar structure. There were no timelines or anything concrete in his message other than a vision. It was an attempt to share something special with a community they (SMS) had spent the last 4 years getting to know. It's just unfortunate that someone thought to screenshot and post that message claiming that there would be no support for Project CARS 1 since 2 was already started.

Nothing has started for pCARS 2 other than a vision statement. Every (successful) business has a vision, and SMS is no exception there. But make no mistake about it, their undivided attention is on pCARS 1; tackling current issues as well as bringing new content to our existing platform.

Phishfinger
18-05-2015, 20:14
Agree with Phil here.

Tourist Trophy is still the UNDISPUTED, REIGNING & DEFENDING best MotoGP game. And that was a PS2 game from like a decade now.

Project CARS isn't about just cars anyway, since it means "Community Assisted RACING Simulator", motorcycle racing is still racing IMO.

Sign me up for bikes in Project CARS 2!!!

*~*

Yep Tourist Trophy was the best although 'Ride' which has just come out is up there in terms of the bike physics, it's a shame they didn't make more of it though and its got more glitches than PCars. I think the problem might be that it's really,really hard to program both vehicles on track at the same time and have realistic collisions etc. That's what I read somewhere anyway :(

GiGAHEART
21-05-2015, 15:36
Yeah I read bad things about Ride (especially AWFUL LOADING TIMES, I hate those things the most) so I'm not gonna get that and since I don't know the dev of that.

Also dude sorry for calling you "Phil" LOL I misread that bro you're Phish.

*~*

eracerhead
21-05-2015, 16:16
For background, WMD members have been asking for a standalone Project Rally-type game for years. It just may be that "pCars 2" could be that game (or monster trucks, whatever), and that our current version will continue to receive add-on packs and support well past that game's release.