PDA

View Full Version : A wheel tune for the Clio at Donnington and some thoughts on the car

ford_racer
17-05-2015, 00:41
Hey all. I haven't seen many posts in here offering specific tunes for specific tracks, so I figured I'd offer one. I'll post the tune first with some notes and then some additional thoughts at the end.

Tires and Brakes
Front L/R Tire Pressure: 1.69/1.67
Rear L/R Tire Pressure: 1.65/1.64
Brake Pressure: 100% (I use ABS, so adjust to individual preference)
Brake Balance: 47%
Bake Duct: 25%

Aero & Chassis
N/A - Everything here is locked for the Clio

Alignment
Steering Ratio: 9.4:1 (Again, adjust to preference)
Front L/R Camber Angle: 3.4/3.5
Rear L/R Camber Angle: 2.5/2.5
Front Toe: -0.3
Rear Toe: 0.4

Suspension
Front Sway Bar: 37 n/mm
Rear Sway Bar: 30 n/mm

Dampers
Front L/R Slow Bump: 19700/19700 n/mm
Rear L/R Slow Bump: 30000/30000 n/mm
Front L/R Slow Rebound: 24500/24500 n/mm
Rear L/R Slow Rebound: 26000/26000 n/mm

Differential
LSD Accel: 90%
LSD Decel: 10%
LSD Preload: 100 n-m

Gearing
Final Drive Ratio: 4.30
1/2/3/4/5/6 Ratios: 2.42/1.72/1.37/1.13/.96/.82

Engine
Fuel Load: 30 L (adjust to preference)
Qualification Fuel Load: 21L (adjust to preference)
Brake Mapping: 4

Some notes about the car:

My fastest lap is a 1:17.9 at Donnington's shorter track (National?), but that only happened once. Typical laps are in the 1:18.3-1:18.5 range.

The car seems to like if you get on the gas a little bit before releasing the brakes all the way. It seems like this sets the chassis up in the corner so it's less of a shock when the power comes on, regaining a little more front end traction (or at least reducing the sudden loss of front end traction).

In addition to that, roll into the gas in some of the tighter corners, namely number one. This should be something you do with most cars as it reduces sudden slip, but it's fairly important in this car as it likes to loose grip in the slower corners.

The car is setup TIGHT. I don't like oversteer that I don't initiate myself, so I tried to get rid of a good portion of lift off oversteer. It will still do it, namely under hard braking conditions into tight corners, but most of that is gone. If you like a loose car, this is not for you.

The front left tire will get to about 250 degrees F if you drive it really hard. I raced the first race of the Clio Cup at 100% length and got there in the last 2 laps of the race. If it gets too hot for your liking, raise the front tire pressure a bit and see how that works. If that doesn't work, try stiffening the front slow bump/front sway bar.

Some notes about the tune:

Remember, this is for Donnington. I haven't done a hardly any testing anywhere else. I did a few laps at Snetterton 200, and while it felt good it needs some refinement. That said, if you like it, use it as a base for other tracks. Maybe it'll be on the money for another location.

This is set up for MY driving style. Like I said earlier, this car is tight like a tiger, which is what I want in a car. I also like hard braking with some trail braking (not much). If you drive similarly to me, you might like it. If you don't, you might think it's shit.

Give the tires time to warm up! If you feel the need to comment, try and give me at least 5 laps before you make up your mind.

Finally, give me FEEDBACK! I've done tuning in Forza and GT for a while, but I'm not the best. That said, I'm looking to improve. Let me know what's right with the car, and let me know what's wrong. I appreciate it all, as long at you're not a jerk about it.

JeyD02
17-05-2015, 02:59
Good stuff!. I will give it a go. It's fun testing certain diff setups :). This subthread should be fill with many people setup to test out and share :). It'll be fun.

Nivracer
17-05-2015, 04:24
I love this tune. I ran a 1.21 on the national track with a controller. What do you use for rear toe?

ford_racer
17-05-2015, 15:59
Oops forgot to put that in. I think it was -0.4. I'll add it next time I get in the game.

deathtrapp
18-05-2015, 03:37
I am going to give this a go so thanks for sharing. I have been running my Clio pretty standard with just some tyre pressure adjustments and brake bias - all assists off. It took me about 3 hours of gameplay before I could get on pole and win a race with the AI still only at 50% difficulty so any improvement will be good.

Nivracer
18-05-2015, 13:05
I did a race at Snetterton 200 with this tune, it definitely needs some adjustments. I overheated my left front tire in practice, and the right rear tire can't hold heat. Other than that it's a good tune. My best lap was I think a 1:27? Normal was a 1:29-31. Got 8th (50% difficulty) in the race after lots of lost control in the fast right corner after the big straight. Again with a controller.

ford_racer
19-05-2015, 00:15
I did a race at Snetterton 200 with this tune, it definitely needs some adjustments. I overheated my left front tire in practice, and the right rear tire can't hold heat. Other than that it's a good tune. My best lap was I think a 1:27? Normal was a 1:29-31. Got 8th (50% difficulty) in the race after lots of lost control in the fast right corner after the big straight. Again with a controller.

Did you try it at Donnington? Like I said I haven't really tested it at Snetterton, but from what I did it seemed OK. It may not fit your driving style.

JeyD02
19-05-2015, 02:05
Did you try it at Donnington? Like I said I haven't really tested it at Snetterton, but from what I did it seemed OK. It may not fit your driving style.

ya.. i have noticed not all ppl race your style. its kinda tricky to tune for them because some people are aggresive on turn in and smooth on exit but other are the opposite and thus it will create a diff scenario for that person :p.

o Mike V o
19-05-2015, 13:56
Nice setup, I linked this thread in the pcars thread on the autosport forum. Good job!

Nivracer
19-05-2015, 15:12
My previous post was about Donington. It works really well, I had no problems. I mentioned Snetterton because you said it might work. That's probably because I use a controller. I've been making adjustments for different tracks also. I made a sorta good one for Silverstone National by adjusting the tire pressure and camber on the right side.

ford_racer
19-05-2015, 18:28
My previous post was about Donington. It works really well, I had no problems. I mentioned Snetterton because you said it might work. That's probably because I use a controller. I've been making adjustments for different tracks also. I made a sorta good one for Silverstone National by adjusting the tire pressure and camber on the right side.

I gotcha. I just did the Snetterton event in the Clio cup and it needs some pretty major tweaking, even after I did further tuning from what I posted for Donnington. The front left tire got hot, and eventually the right front would too. I got 1st in the first race and 2nd on the second, winning the event, but it still needs some major tweaking, or even a tune starting from scratch.

LordDRIFT
19-05-2015, 19:37
Our Tire pressures are very similar.

Chrisco Racing
31-05-2015, 09:07
Guys, here's my set up for Snetterton 200. On controller (mode 2: all deadzones 0), assists: real, rest off. Did a 1.22.250 in quali and a 1.21.867 during the second race (after the rain had stopped and I changed tyres). I like a stiff and direct response but it requires feeding in the input not tapping. Hope it helps for you ;) Ohh, and stay off the curbs :triumphant:

MULTIVITZ
31-05-2015, 09:28
Don't take your foot off the gas because its stablising the car through the diff, time your down shifts carefully and get on the gas asap. Left foot brake before the corner and the sideways action will keep the rear tyres warm(dont go too silly) after a while you'll ask what all the fuss was about. My Clio drives like a saint. The low front camber prevents the front tyres from grabbing when you turn, coupled to a tight chassis with controlled body roll and brake bias that allows good straight line stopping, its quite sedate until you want action (at any speed).

The total rear rebound is usually less than the front! Damper induced understeer? Just reduce the front Camber, if you have to put loads of toe in on the front until you dial in the back end to stop the atrocious wagging then get towing.
I can hit the first bends at Nurburgring on cold tyres without any drama!
Hope someone can understands this method. I'm NOT posting a setup for such a popular race series car!
Thanks for reading. Hope it helps.