PDA

View Full Version : Where's the sense of grip? What's going on here?.....

rtmcginnis
17-05-2015, 00:47
Xbox One/TX Wheel

As everyone on here has seen there are a myriad of posts, videos and discussions on the web talking about the complicated array of FFB settings in this game. This is largely as result of the development team choosing to release a game that:

A) By most accounts has wacky default FFB settings that need to be modified for the cars to handle properly;
B) Include 40 different technical options to make modifications, but NO true explanation of what they do or how to go about it.

Clearly the folks who made the game are very bright, but their decision to include all these fancy setting with little to no explanation or guide to actually use them isn't. This combination has essentially made the game unplayable in my opinion.

Like most, I've made the global modifications and vehicle specific recommended in those PDF/Excel files floating around. They seem to help a bit, but to me the cars still all feel disconnected and numb. There is no sense of grip or loss of grip in either the front or rear tires. Which essentially leaves you driving with total trepidation as you have no idea of under/oversteering in the corners aside from the visual clue.

It's frustrating and annoying and instead spending time actually driving, I'm stuck spending time fiddling with sliders and googling.

I'm confident that there's a quality game buried in the pile of rubbish, but having to dig and dig is unacceptable.

If anyone has any suggestions for how to increase the sense of grip or mass to the physics I'm all ears. As it is now I'm finding no pleasure "playing" this game.

Which is quite obvious as I'm on their message board seeking advice......

turbohondaej1
17-05-2015, 04:57
The ffb is a disaster to be honest in my opinion. I've tried a million different setups with nothing that seemed great. Sms has acknowledged their is problems with the xbox one version and are trying to fix it. Currently I'm everything default except for the first gain slider set to 168. Also every car master scale set to 100. This is just what feels best without changing a bunch of stuff till they fix it. Try if you want I won't swear it will work for you but I didnt like the ffb tweaks seemed little affect for me at present.

HEF51
17-05-2015, 05:26
I think everyone is in the same boat man. You've seen the FFB thread. Now we just have to wait for official conformation this is being worked out.

rtmcginnis
17-05-2015, 12:24
Thanks for the responses guys. I actually created this thread just before stumbling onto the "Weak FFB" thread.

I had thought it was the decision of SMS to release this game with such convoluted settings, with the design that you really have to work to find that physics engine. An approach I found to be infuriating. But now I see it's a flaw with the Xbox1 version and but all accounts the handling is quite incredible on PC and PS4. Fantastic!!

I was having a hard time believing that this was the FFB that the community had honed over the years and that this was the definitive cross platform racing sim it was heralded as.

It's being fixed and that's good enough for me. I'm just going to shelve it until that patch comes out. I can always fire up Forza 5 or Horizon 2 to scratch that racing itch in the meantime, both of which are superior in handling currently.

It's a shame to pay good money for a game only to have it sit for weeks until it's actually playable. But ill functioning launch games seem to be par for the course nowadays.

jschenard
17-05-2015, 20:14
Good day everyone.

I dont want to be a nut cracker but did you update the TX with the latest firmware ? It is revision 48. I had weak to non existant FFB before upgrading from v43 to v48. Maybe it is the issue ?

rtmcginnis
17-05-2015, 20:20
Good day everyone.

I dont want to be a nut cracker but did you update the TX with the latest firmware ? It is revision 48. I had weak to non existant FFB before upgrading from v43 to v48. Maybe it is the issue ?

I did the other day. After experiencing light FFB I ensured the firmware was updated, and calibrated the TX using Thrustmaster's Control Panel app, and maxed out the feedback forces. It didn't improve the situation on its own, but I did reset the USB on my Xbox and reset to default all the in-game settings, per recommendations of some in these forums. That combined with an increased Master Force (75) seemed to improve it some. The subtle grip feedback you experience as the tires begin to break loose is still poor, but over the force is much improved. Still not great though.

Thanks fo the suggestion

HEF51
17-05-2015, 20:21
Yes, the firmware is not the issue. It's the game. Everyone has v48 installed that I know, about 12+ TX users.

yusupov
17-05-2015, 20:23
are the PDF files youre using the jack spade settings? these are percar settings that will vary but have x/y/z/mhz & SOP settings which give a very solid FFB result imo; if you have those settings & it feels terrible to you, it may just not be the game for you. itll take a lonnnnngggg time & be a total b%tch to implement on console but as long as it saves its really worth it, trust me

HEF51
17-05-2015, 20:31
are the PDF files youre using the jack spade settings? these are percar settings that will vary but have x/y/z/mhz & SOP settings which give a very solid FFB result imo; if you have those settings & it feels terrible to you, it may just not be the game for you. itll take a lonnnnngggg time & be a total b%tch to implement on console but as long as it saves its really worth it, trust me

Hi, you're in the X1 section. If you haven't noticed the X1 version of pCARS has some really bad FFB. None of which any of your files will fix.

yusupov
17-05-2015, 20:37
im aware, but you can manually input the settings into the version same as PC users, is what im saying. in fact i thought OP said he had done something like this, thats why i wanted to confirm it was the jack spade settings.

HEF51
17-05-2015, 20:39
im aware, but you can manually input the settings into the version same as PC users, is what im saying. in fact i thought OP said he had done something like this, thats why i wanted to confirm it was the jack spade settings.

Those settings wont do much as the FFB is just not working correctly. Something is not translating to what we should be getting. Its easy to tell by playing on PC and then going straight to playing on X1. Something is broken.

Robhd
17-05-2015, 20:40
I have the latest firmware and the grip is way too light with pretty much zero ffb!

rtmcginnis
17-05-2015, 22:22

Yes, Jack Spade settings, those are the docs I'm referring to. Perhaps they improved the FFB a little bit, but there is still something seriously amiss there. It has nothing to do with it not being for me, it just handles poorly. It sounds like SMS is well aware that the Xbox1 version is off and they're working on a fix.

rtmcginnis
19-05-2015, 03:00
After putting some more time into the game and messing with the sliders AGAIN I can confidently say this game handles poorly. Unlike some on here I am receiving FFB stimuli, but I'm only sensing it subtly on curbs and tire chatter, but there is still absolutely no feel of grip or the lack thereof. Many times I hadn't even realized I had lost it until I saw the trails of smoke in the mirror. That's just too subtle. That's just no fun. I'm turning the wheel and the car goes around the track, but I have no sense of connection to the road. It's obnoxious to provide all these fancy settings, when the game handles so poorly.

It's just isn't worth playing.

yusupov
19-05-2015, 03:13
all i can tell u is w/ those tweaks its not like that on PC there must be something seriously wrong w/ the xbox version :/ im sure it will get patched but i cant believe it launched on xb1 if the ffb is broken like that

if you didnt put in the SOP set, that is the one i use & would recommend, but tho i havent tried the standard if you tweaked all those files &* still think ffb is crap its probably not worth it...

mossback rossi
30-11-2017, 17:51
I am with you guys, my XB1, with a fanatec CSW v2 wheel is the same, floaty, disconnected, no sense of grip. Occasionally in high speed corners with the downforce turned up you can feel the wheel resistance that is missing everywhere else on the track. I will take some of what is suggested here and apply it to see if it helps but I have spent HOURS and HOURS of time tweaking to get the feeling back in the car and pretty much nothing works.