PDA

View Full Version : Why are all car setups in metric?

BillCody
17-05-2015, 11:10
All the car setups seem to be in metric. Is there any way to change this? I notice we can change the visuals to imperial, why not the car setups?

Siberian Tiger
17-05-2015, 11:14
It's by Design because of sharing and comparing against eachother is easier if we only have 1 Unit...

MaXyM
17-05-2015, 11:18
Wrong design I have to say.
What a problem to provide a units switch on setupscreens to change units on a fly?

It's the only sim I know which forces us to share setups using screenshots.
If sharing setups as files were possible, forced measurement units wouldn't been needed.

BTW one of features promised as post-release one. I'm curious if will turn fulfilled.

Rob Prange
17-05-2015, 20:17
Moved to Car Setup forum.

lacslyer
17-05-2015, 20:26
What a problem to provide a units switch on setupscreens to change units on a fly?

If sharing setups as files were possible, forced measurement units wouldn't been needed.

BTW one of features promised as post-release one. I'm curious if will turn fulfilled.

Have to agree. I won't name other games, but the ease of which other games provide in sharing setups (among other things) compared to Project CARS is astounding to the point where I seriously question why it's so obtuse.

Scrufy
17-05-2015, 21:44
i would think they just wrote a class that take the output from the math and does an engineering units conversion as an input to the user interface. The only thing that needs a conversion is the GUI so you see it in metric or imperial. The program doesnt care, nor should it need to. The eng calc should just be external. I do something similar at work and nobody writes code that has to have separate modeling based on eng unit types. You scale it after. Sharing setups has nothing to do with it...or shouldnt.

danpinho
18-05-2015, 02:55
Why not metric system? Does it hurt to learn something new?
If it was designed with Imperial system we would see people whining anyway.
Seems that gamers love to complain.

bill Sutton
18-05-2015, 04:40

its funny you say that, we have had metrics in Australia fully as our system for about 40 years but when growing as as a young fellow it was miles and gallons and even after 40 years I still tend to think of myself as 5 foot 10 inches, 100 mph is the speed and 40 miles per gallon is good ....... I think as a young fellow it was printed on my brain and 40 to 50 years of using metric has not managed to overwrite it. I know if someone is 6 foot he is big, dont have to even think about it but if someone is 180cm ...well lets go to the conversion charts and get 5 feet and 10.86614 inches

Its like breathing and imperial comes naturally to me so I can understand the angst of the original poster

Shepard2603
18-05-2015, 06:09
Well, let's face it: The imperial system is quite unpopular nowadays https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_system

TheLethalDose
18-05-2015, 07:32
Metric is a far better way of measuring things as is more precise and everything works on 1/10/100 etc. instead of dividing one fifth of the wave length refracted in the green spectrum by the circumference of an anteaters testicles while standing on your head to work out some imperial measurements.

Come on 'murica, its time to move into the 21st century like the rest of us ;)

willfred_TandZproduction
18-05-2015, 07:44
Having a standard unit system is far easier than real life. A lot of race cars are still built using imperial parts . However it can make stuff really complicated. For instance dampers are newtons per a metre per a second but spring rates are often still lbs per an inch. Then ride height is either measured in inches or mm, thread pitches are often imperial. Then geometry can either be in degrees or mm. For toe it gets more complicated as you then have to factor in wheel rim and tyre sizes sometimes. Then of course we have our wheel rims diameters in inches but the PCD in mm.

Tuning in this game is already complicated. So if using a single unit system makes tuning more accessible I'm all for it.

Mauser5000
18-05-2015, 08:18
Metric is a far better way of measuring things as is more precise and everything works on 1/10/100 etc. instead of dividing one fifth of the wave length refracted in the green spectrum by the circumference of an anteaters testicles while standing on your head to work out some imperial measurements.

Wow! some good signature material here :DDD :glee:

madmax2069
18-05-2015, 08:40
I dont care whats better then what, all I want it things listed in imperial (that is what I know) with a button to change between metric for ease of swapping.

FTW Vin
18-05-2015, 17:34
I dont care whats better then what, all I want it things listed in imperial (that is what I know) with a button to change between metric for ease of swapping.

So confusing... all this metric stuff.

Mile High Club > 1.6 Kilometer High Club. When said out loud, one flows smoothly, the other has an accent. (j/k)

I second the button conversion/swap.

SwaggerJacker
27-05-2015, 03:32

Seems like gamers also love to think their opinion is the right one. Seems like gamers could benefit from learning something new. Give us a button.

Shinzah
27-05-2015, 06:12
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=metric+to+imperial+convertor#

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oCCnxBos10

Franco Ferrari
27-05-2015, 07:32

Your reasoning is basically flawed.

If one player has the game set in imperial units and another one in metric, sharing setups between them via screenshots would me a nightmare.
It could only be solved, as you said, by sharing files... but this is a multi-platform game. How do you think a pc setup could be shared with a ps4 player?
Also, I don't think microsoft or sony would go "Sharing third party files using our consoles? Meh, ok."... I think they have very restrictive policies regulating these kind of things (i.e. PTP communications).

The only acceptable solution, could be to pass through an external server (maybe used to store setups also) using an internal transmission protocol... which as you may guess, could not code itself.
It requires work, and time, and resources, and the servers have a cost.

Anyway, it's a feature already on the wishlist.

Herege
27-05-2015, 22:42

^^ This +1

Most of the world's countries using this measure is that most countries goes wrong? we can also say that all should drive on the left hand, and who drive on right hand is wrong. ;)

MULTIVITZ
28-05-2015, 08:41
It's by Design because of sharing and comparing against eachother is easier if we only have 1 Unit...

Tyre temps are in imperial. Re: tuning grind
Don't tell the guvnor lol

Helium
28-05-2015, 13:47
I can see why people want the imperial system but there are much more important things to work on right now.
But since I'm one of those 95% of the worlds population who is used to the metric system I'm biased :D.

Let's face it. There are three countries in the world that officially use the imperial system and only one of them isn't part of the 3rd world.
There is not a single argument in favor of the imperial system besides "I'm used to it" or "It's just there".
I say it's time for the imperial system to die.

Nonetheless I would appreciate a conversion button.

Jerry Buzz
28-05-2015, 19:05
I wonder how many copies of this game are sold in that one non-third world country that still uses imperial units. I would bet a lot. Maybe enough to add imperial units.

The tuning system is way above my abilities, anyway, so I guess I shouldn't give a darn. But without imperial units I have no interest in tuning I'd rather try reading War and Peace in Tagalong.