PDA

View Full Version : Endurance Races/Pitting

DanBeats90
17-05-2015, 12:37
Hi guys,

I'm in the European Endurance Championship, racing a Nissan Oreca LMP2. First race of the season, at Silverstone and I'm racing 16% race distance (1/2 hour out of full 3 hour race).

Anyway I'm running 2nd in class, about 15 secs behind the leader, when for no apparent reason he pits with about 5 or 6 minutes to go. One or two others seemed to pit as well.

Just wondering why that is? There aren't any mandatory pit stops and my fuel/tyres both seemed fine. It resulted in me winning as I didn't stop, which sort of took the challenge out of it a bit! Any ideas what's going on?!

Siberian Tiger
17-05-2015, 12:39
They could have had a Damage... (Debris, or some sort of poller in the Corner)
Or they had a Puncture...

But that's all speculation :)

doodleco
18-05-2015, 09:58
So it's not just me! Similar situation at Spa doing a 20 lap race with LMP1. I was having a great battle with the car in 5th with the leaders getting a nice gap of about 20-30 secs. I had soft tyres on and a full tank at the start, enough to last for about 23 laps by my estimate. For some reason, the entire field of LMP1 cars pitted around laps 12-14 despite me still having good tyres and half a tank of fuel. Naturally I went on to win even though I slower than the leaders.
Didn't think too much about it, but yesterday I did a 24 lap race at Le Mans. Again, soft tyres and full fuel. I expected to pit once on lap 12 and then splash at the end. The AI meanwhile all decided to pit on laps 5-8. They pitted again on laps 15-17. This left me clear ahead with only a splash of fuel required at the end, another win because of poor AI strategy.

Perhaps it's just the AI try to manage stops evenly? If anyone has done a real endurance race (3hrs or more), do the AI pit at reasonable intervals to keep things close? I'm nervous about doing a longer race in the future if I'm able to carry out half the number of pit stops and win easily by default.

PeteUplink
18-05-2015, 10:46
I think it's different fuel loads. I've been running some LMP1 endurance races on the Le Mans circuit and I always make sure that my setup gives me a full tank of fuel for full 45 minute stints in the races. I don't think the AI runs with full tanks as they always pit 3-4 laps before me.

Invincible
18-05-2015, 10:58
I had a quite different experience when doing a 20 lap race on Le Mans with the Pagani Huayra. I was easily on first for the first 4 laps - then had to pit for fuel. Regained first in lap 6. Pit in lap 8, came out 3rd. AI pitted in lap 9 - 11, I was first for one lap until I had to pit in 12. From that on I struggled to stay 2nd to finish (had to stop again in lap 16).

So it is not only AI strategy, but individual fuel consumption too (as the first was a Pagani Zonda, 3rd was a RUF CTR3, 4th W Motors Lykan Hypersport - next Huayra was placed 14th).

eLessard_
21-05-2015, 13:40
Can we actually fill our gas tank BEFORE a race? Or you mean you fill it each time you stop? Cause I started races half full and had to pit before -and with different strategies than- AI, which isn't really realistic. PLUS, why the **** can't we pit for tires only without putting fuel and waiting, and waiting, and waiting...? Bug?

TrevorAustin
21-05-2015, 13:54
Can we actually fill our gas tank BEFORE a race? Or you mean you fill it each time you stop? Cause I started races half full and had to pit before -and with different strategies than- AI, which isn't really realistic. PLUS, why the **** can't we pit for tires only without putting fuel and waiting, and waiting, and waiting...? Bug?

You can though, You just need to edit the strategy as soon as the game takes control of your car, then change what you want to do for the stop.