PDA

View Full Version : What Are Your Race Strengths/Weaknesses?

Ramshackle
17-05-2015, 13:00
Just interested to know what people consider to be their strengths and weaknesses. Are you more comfortable chasing or leading? Do you have a knack for making your way through carnage unscathed?

My strengths would be consistancy, patience (waiting for the right moment to overtake), pressuring and endurance races.

Weaknesses: Keeping a cool head when I know someone is catching. Last lap mistakes while leading. Making my way through back markers and being too trusting (leaving myself open to be knocked off track by idiots).

Siberian Tiger
17-05-2015, 13:02
My greatest weakness is probably durability/concentration

In Races about 2 Hours or more i tend do loose concentration and my Laptimes are getting worse...
It's surely something i have to training intensively...

jelinski619
17-05-2015, 13:07
I'm generally pretty good with consistency, racecraft (defending especially) and coping with pressure. Where I slip up is in my aggression - I'm too polite at times.

Antiversum
17-05-2015, 13:09
Apart from being not the best driver who doesn't always know the best point to brake and so on..I have definitively problems holding/gaining speed in wider corners like last on Monza before Start/Finsih. Maybe much easier with a wheel though.
And I really have to learn to brake first and then just roll and steer rather doing both at the same time.

Ramshackle
17-05-2015, 13:23
My greatest weakness is probably durability/concentration

In Races about 2 Hours or more i tend do loose concentration and my Laptimes are getting worse...
It's surely something i have to training intensively...

Yeah, if I'm leading an endurance race I tend to slip into a comfortable pace and get caught. I can keep my concentration and put in hot lap after hot lap much better when I'm chasing.

Invincible
17-05-2015, 13:32
+ quite fast for two or three laps
+ not bad at overtaking on the brake

- My durability sucks - everything longer than 45 min to 1 hour and I start to drive like a student driver and bang the wall more often than a metaller bangs his head.
- Making my way through back markers

KK78
17-05-2015, 13:41
+ I'm pretty good at chasing other drivers down and passing them under braking
+ I'm patient, particularly in online when I'll hang back if I start 6th or higher, let the crazy folk put themselves out of the race
+ I'm not really rattled by been pushed off

- When in the lead I tend to get scruffy as I push too hard
- I have poor concentration for anything over 15+ laps
- I want to smash the controller when I get an invalidated lap time, usually because my near side rear wheel kissed a blade of grass :)

Doogerie
17-05-2015, 13:49
I am a real Noob i have just played my first race weekend in Karting i can honestly say that my Qualifying is good but in the heat of the moment while racing (the bit that counts) I really really suck i Qualified 4th today and came last in the Race i rammed in to a tier wall so i think in Race i need to improve Teams cant fire you can they?

fazlee712
17-05-2015, 14:28
I don't have the best race pace, but I'm great at starts – I usually make up multiple places at race start and defend from there. If it's a short race I can usually comfortably win or make at least top 3 (out of 15-20~), for longer races I might lose a few positions because there are usually at least a few really fast drivers.

menaceuk
17-05-2015, 14:37
Greatest strength - Ramming other cars
Greatest weakness - Ramming other cars

:DOnly Joking:D

I think my weakness is consistency.
My strength, most likely overtaking. I always find good overtaking spots and can pull the overtake off nigh on 100% of the time.

Ramshackle
17-05-2015, 14:41
I don't have the best race pace, but I'm great at starts – I usually make up multiple places at race start and defend from there.

I envy you guys who always manage to keep out of trouble when the race starts. I always seem to get caught up in other peoples mistakes.

Failrunner
17-05-2015, 15:26
My weakness is that I space out sometimes when playing and start wondering when that wall showed up. :) My strength is that i'm not too serious about the game so my wheel or controllers don't catch wreck when I f*ck up(unlike when I was young went nuts). I expect to suck so nothing really bugs me outside of taking too many tries to move on. I just am not great twitch or youtube material. Lol.

cloakdeath
17-05-2015, 15:27
Strengths:
Very good at race starts (on the replay looks like I'm practically cheating)
Not loosing cool under pressure from cars right behind, and undercut them again when they inevitably brake too late.
I do everything no assists, if that counts.

Weaknesses:
I'm sometimes in too low a gear when I come out of corners, because I'm trying to keep the car stable.
It stresses my out in Qualy when I'm doing a hot lap and there are slow cars on the racing line.
Rain really annoys me when it starts near the end of a race.
People burping and yawning into their microphones puts me off concentration.
I'm usually one of the first people into the first corner and even trying to avoid the carnage some car will always fly at me.

PeteUplink
17-05-2015, 15:42
Strengths? I learn tracks pretty quickly, I'm not bad on the brakes most of the time, I do make occasional mistakes, and I can drive with any controller or wheel without any loss of speed. I'm very consistent and enjoy endurance racing over sprints.

My weakness is car setups. I've never been any good with it and usually drive with the default setup. This means that in a racing game I'm usually pretty quick up to a certain level, for instance I race at Pro AI level on Codemasters F1 games and about 80% on this game currently, but I'm usually pretty much mid-pack on higher difficulties or online. Actually I rarely race online and usually play for fun against the AI at a level that I feel comfortable with without trying to drive beyond my limit. I probably could try harder if I wanted to, but I'm a bit lazy.

Also, I'll be honest and say that I sometimes use certain driver aids (usually when using a pad). TC and auto gears being my biggest vices.

MDH PYRO
17-05-2015, 16:50
Im better at chasing rather than leading.....im quite aggressive when it comes to racing...I will hang off your Tailgate trying to pressure you into a mistake....I even deploy some rubbing....not enough to knock you off but enough for you to notice....this I feel is racing and rubbing is racing

d4ninho
17-05-2015, 17:12
so hang on, you believe pushing someone no matter how soft is racing, surely any contact that changes the line the driver was or is taking is not racing, if you bump someones rear it may push them a tiny bit wider meaning you can move up their inside but that space would not have been there had you not hit them, again the same applies to, rubbing, as you put it on the other drivers sides.

every overtake you make that involves contact is an illegal overtake and only pushes you into the wrecker list of drivers that think if the other driver doesn't go off track its ok, which is totally wrong.

if you need to RUB the other drivers to make the overtake then your using him to make the move, sounds very much like a lobby wrecker to me....

perhaps we need a list of drivers to avoid on here that admit to RUBBING other drivers,lol

o Mike V o
17-05-2015, 17:23
Tuning

MDH PYRO
17-05-2015, 17:50
im on about rubbing not ramming......rubbing is used to unsettle a driver not ram him off track.......rubbing is a part of most motorsport and it is part of the course......Have you ever watched DTM,BTTC ect?......

Ramshackle
17-05-2015, 18:11
My weakness is car setups. I've never been any good with it and usually drive with the default setup.

Also, I'll be honest and say that I sometimes use certain driver aids (usually when using a pad). TC and auto gears being my biggest vices.

Forgot about set ups. I just race with default settings too. I worry about messing them up too much and turning my car into a pig. I know what most of the settings mean, I just don't quite understand what effect they have on the car.

k.merse
17-05-2015, 20:08
My strengths are Formula cars, especially in medium-fast corner combinations. My major weakness are road cars, especially in hairpins. I lose a lot of time there... Interestingly I noticed the same pattern in real life karting as well.

SimplyDaveC
18-05-2015, 01:19
I'm too aggressive at times, when I catch up to another car I'll try to pass at any opportunity and I'll risk messing up my race progress

Jesse Fahrenkrog
18-05-2015, 01:52
Weaknesses:
Over driving corners...especially on old tires and hot brakes. I tend to drive like I expect the car to be exactly the same every lap.
Maybe being a little to timid on starts. I seem to give up a lot on starts trying to avoid mayhem-even when I start up front.

Strengths:
I'm pretty unflappable, especially if I'm leading. I don't care if you're all over me. Doesn't bother me a bit.
Ironically, adjusting to what the car is doing. As I said above, I have a habit of overdriving at times, which I know full well that I do. So, once I realize I'm doing it I really try to "tune in" to what the car is doing and become a little less aggressive.

JeyD02
18-05-2015, 03:18
Strength; very persistent and actually get what I want. Very competitive yet professional. Very flexible to adapt to anything, speed lanes wheel to wheel battles etc.

Weakness ; track knowledge, that about it still can't push to edge in most tracks cuz I don't know them.

RobMUFC1987
18-05-2015, 03:44
Strengths - I'm very consistent where when I get into a groove and be within 2 tenths of my best time every lap. I'm a pad user but you'd never notice. I'm good at catching people and forcing mistakes. If I get over a second lead, relax and race off into the distance. I can get into a routine and do everything self-consciously with no affect to lap times

Weaknesses - I don't trust anyone I race. This may keep my out of trouble from rammers but if someone keeps pace, I make it easy to pass. I'm also too patient and not aggressive enough (unless someone hits me. I don't ram them, I just go for the pass more aggressivly) to the point I could follow someone all day and not pass unless they crack from the pressure.

Edit - forgot a Strength. I can learn a track within 3 laps and be almost as fast as can be within 10 laps

Rift Racer
18-05-2015, 04:02
Weaknesses:
Over driving corners...especially on old tires and hot brakes. I tend to drive like I expect the car to be exactly the same every lap.
Maybe being a little to timid on starts. I seem to give up a lot on starts trying to avoid mayhem-even when I start up front.

Strengths:
I'm pretty unflappable, especially if I'm leading. I don't care if you're all over me. Doesn't bother me a bit.
Ironically, adjusting to what the car is doing. As I said above, I have a habit of overdriving at times, which I know full well that I do. So, once I realize I'm doing it I really try to "tune in" to what the car is doing and become a little less aggressive.

Lol overdriving is good, as Mario Andretti says......"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" :p

Mark Quigley
18-05-2015, 04:08
Weaknesses: Being slow.
Strengths: Knowing I'm slow and getting out the fekin way sharpish.

:D

Shogun613
18-05-2015, 10:55
I'd say I'm pretty good at cornering faster than my opponents, and getting a good run on them on corner exit.

I feel I need to work on not constantly checking the mirrors late in the race and pressuring myself into making a late mistake that costs me a position or two...

JyriK
18-05-2015, 11:06
Weaknesses: Qualifying - trying too hard and ending up being a couple of seconds slower than usual. Prone to lose concentration if no cars around in races.

Strengths: Starts, which somewhat compensates poor qualifying.

MrStef85
18-05-2015, 11:09
Weaknesses - Sometimes to agressive with time settings in quali

Strenghts - Conssistent race pace, Starts