PDA

View Full Version : [USA/NA]Friday Night Racing- PC

LiveWire
17-05-2015, 15:29
I am starting this thread to try and get a group together for regular races. Several of us have been racing together for years. We have run Gran Turismo, rFactor, GTR, F1 and Assetto Corsa, among others. We have been running Monday and Friday nights, about 9 PM Pacific time. We strive for realism, so we run with as realistic settings as possible. Here is what we have come up with so far. This will be on PC (too bad cross platform isn't an option!)

Here is the Steam Group:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FNRL

Who
Anyone who likes to race clean and have fun. All skill levels welcome, attitude is more important. We try to race seriously, but fun comes first. We try to race clean, but know accidents and mistakes happen.

When
Friday nights about 9 PM Pacific (GMT -7)

What
GT3s

Where
Our server is called BCS Motorsports, feel free to join us if you see us! This is a 64 slot server (32 slots seems to be the max per track). The server has 100 Mb pipe. We also have a TS3 server, we will provide this info to group members.

Tracks
To be determined by group, certain tracks for sure, such as:

Spa
Bathurst
Le Mans
Nordschleife (The Ring)

If there is a real world endurance race there, we will probably run it.

Restrictions
We will allow TCS and ABS, although if the "real assists" works, we will probably use that setting.
Full Damage and Mechanical Failures, unless group decides otherwise.

Rules

Standing Starts (rolling starts seem broken, but I would prefer rolling starts if they work. In the past, we have added an extra lap and used that as a formation lap so we can do the rolling start manually)
Fuel consumption, tire wear, etc will be on, so that pit stops are necessary (these may be accelerated, but testing and the group will determine this)
Some level of damage and mechanical failure, depending on how they are working (right now Performance Impacting and Mechanical Failures On)
Time Accelerated for full day\night cycle
Clear weather
Standard Racing rules apply, they are posted all over the internet, so I won't repost here. If you have questions, please ask.

In interest of time, the usual format we follow is to practice prior to the race (We practice Monday nights, feel free to join us!), that way race night is just qualifying and race. Races will be about 1 hour in length, quali will probably be 15 minutes, unless the group decides otherwise or the track makes a longer session necessary (think the Ring).

We can keep this casual and just race or we can go full league and tracks points, etc. I like the idea of starting casual and then forming the league after, so we can see who consistently makes the races and such. Previous leagues we have competed in had teams of 2-3 cars, so you had drivers and team championships. I prefer this format.

There are currently about 10 of us who race consistently. I would like as many people as possible to join, my experience is there are a lot of people who start a league, but only about half complete the season. We can spool up additional servers if we get enough people interested. We have run two races/ servers simultaneously in the past, when the league has been big enough. We should be able to support nearly 100 racers on our current environment.

So that should cover the basics, more to come!

SlickReed
17-05-2015, 15:44
Awesome, cant wait. Starting casual sounds great until we get some regulars showing up every week. spa is broken atm, exiting the pits gives you an instant 1800 second lane crossing penalty.

LiveWire
17-05-2015, 20:05
I agree about starting casual, not only to establish the regulars, but also so we can establish rules, track list, etc. I'm sure they'll fix spa, we just won't run it until they do.

Veevee
18-05-2015, 03:22
I'll probably be there every friday night, and if you guys are still around after I get on the computer after work (around 10:30-11pm pacific) I'll hop in as well. I'd also like to join a league, and Friday night is the perfect night for me so you'll probably get used to having me around.

I'm a clean and mostly consistent mid-to-upper pack driver who has a knack for getting right up in someone's business entering a turn if you let me get close enough. I also have a knack for getting involved in turn 1 shenanigans against my will, so hopefully these lobbies will have much less of that.

LiveWire
18-05-2015, 03:58
Great Veevee, look forward to racing. We try to avoid turn 1 craziness, it seems less common in leagues. I would be lying if I said I was never the cause of a turn 1 pileup, but it's not common.

Intrepid_Nine
18-05-2015, 07:23
I'm keen to get involved. I'm in Aus but your friday time works out to 1400 saturday for me, so it's convenient.

LiveWire
18-05-2015, 14:23
Great to hear intrepid nine, we have other Aussies and kiwis we race with all the time.

One Percent
18-05-2015, 15:48
I'm definitely interested in participating!

League racing certainly seems the best way to go in pCARS, lots of jokers out there trying to ruin public races. I wouldn't be able to practice with you guys on Mondays but racing at 9pm PST would certainly work on Fridays!

What is the best way for me to get involved? Steam friend request? Join a Steam group?

Umer Ahmad
18-05-2015, 15:52
7pm Chicago time might he tough for me, perhaps i could make some later races once kids are in bed.

There's a guy in Hawaii that might like join y'all

LiveWire
18-05-2015, 20:59
I'll start a steam group later today. I think it will be 11 Chicago time, if that helps. I'll send steam friend requests if I can figure out your steam IDs.

Veevee and One Percent, pretty sure I added you in Steam. Uhmer, what is your Steam ID? Feel free to PM it to me.

falcon2081
18-05-2015, 21:18
Real assists are not working. I've tested this enough to know they are bugged at the moment so keep that in mind.

LiveWire
19-05-2015, 02:05
Real assists are not working. I've tested this enough to know they are bugged at the moment so keep that in mind.

Yeah, the plan is to use that setting if it is fixed.

JSNFARRELL
19-05-2015, 02:11
Removed per discussion.

Good luck!

LiveWire
19-05-2015, 02:59
Removed per discussion.

Look forward to racing JSNFARRELL!

JSNFARRELL
19-05-2015, 03:22
This is usually where I come off looking like the @sshole... lets just say I'm making you aware of what could become a problem.

Thanks and apologies as well (such things can be hard to discuss over text/forums while displaying a good intention)... I will remove that thread so you can handle it on your end man - good luck!

LiveWire
19-05-2015, 04:30
This is usually where I come off looking like the @sshole... lets just say I'm making you aware of what could become a problem.

Thanks and apologies as well (such things can be hard to discuss over text/forums while displaying a good intention)... I will remove that thread so you can handle it on your end man - good luck!

No problems, you had good intentions. I hope my intentions came off the same, I certainly try not to hijack threads, it is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Hope to race soon!

Terry McNeil
19-05-2015, 05:25
Hi,
I'd really like to try and join in at some point. I'm in Ca. and thats a perfect time for me. On Steam I'm mydeadcat
Thanks,
Terry

LiveWire
19-05-2015, 06:39
Hi,
I'd really like to try and join in at some point. I'm in Ca. and thats a perfect time for me. On Steam I'm mydeadcat
Thanks,
Terry

Not finding mydeadcat in steam? Here is my steam profile page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/LiveWire11C/

Terry McNeil
19-05-2015, 06:48
Duh. I had private setting on I guess. Still figuring this out!

Teamsousa
19-05-2015, 17:22
Duh. I had private setting on I guess. Still figuring this out!

Hey Terry, I sent you Steam friend request, mine is Phsycosocial (Teamsousa1). Hope to race with you soon...

funknerraw
19-05-2015, 17:40
I pride myself on being a clean racer and would like to race with some other clean drivers. I'm in PST time zone so this time works for me, provided I'm at home that time on Friday. Same username on steam: funknerraw

Terry McNeil
19-05-2015, 17:49
Hey Terry, I sent you Steam friend request, mine is Phsycosocial (Teamsousa1). Hope to race with you soon...

Got it. Thanks.
I have lots of work this week, but hopefully I can get myself squared away enough to join in Friday. Its been a couple yrs since I ran online, or even off line really!

LiveWire
19-05-2015, 22:05
I pride myself on being a clean racer and would like to race with some other clean drivers. I'm in PST time zone so this time works for me, provided I'm at home that time on Friday. Same username on steam: funknerraw

Friend request sent.

Jesse Fahrenkrog
20-05-2015, 23:19
Hi guys. I just joined the group through steam. I like to think of myself as a clean racer. I'm a wheel driver (G25) and have been driving sims since GTR2 came out. I had NR2k3 but played it with keys so I don't count it. Sim racing is my primary hobby and has been for a while now. Anyway, if you'll have me I'd sure like to run with you guys!

I'm Jesse Fahrenkrog on Steam BTW.

LiveWire
21-05-2015, 15:38
Our first get together is Friday night at 9:30pm PST. Just a causal get together, get to know each other and run some laps. Hope to see you all there! Server info is in steam group, see first post in this thread.

protie
21-05-2015, 17:17
Just joined. This is perfect race times for me. Clean, fair racing is what I have been looking for but they are normally very early on the weekends.
Thanks LiveWire.

LiveWire
21-05-2015, 21:14
Just joined. This is perfect race times for me. Clean, fair racing is what I have been looking for but they are normally very early on the weekends.
Thanks LiveWire.

Send me a friend invite in steam please, not finding you.

LiveWire
02-06-2015, 02:39
After a brief break, we are back and starting to get this league organized. I added the poll to see what class cars everyone wants to run, assuming we get enough racers to run mixed class. (We have 22 members in the Steam group so far.) Please take a second to vote.

As far as how formal this league is going to be, it will be more casual of a league. We will track drivers points and have a championship in that sense. If enough people want to, we can do teams with a team championship also. Points will be awarded for 1-10 (1-10 in each class if we go multiclass). The points scale is:

10 pts
9 pts
8 pts
7 pts
6 pts
5 pts
4 pts
3 pts
2 pts
1 pt

We will review incidents and impose penalties if necessary, but hopefully we can all get by without this being necessary.

This Friday, June 5th, will be the next get together on the track. The event will be in Steam also.

Feel free to join the Steam Group and send me a friend invite in Steam if you are interested. Both are in my sig.

Rhime
02-06-2015, 04:33
Joined the group on Steam and sent an invite to you LiveWire..:) Friday nights can work for me and maybe Monday practices too.

LiveWire
02-06-2015, 17:23
Joined the group on Steam and sent an invite to you LiveWire..:) Friday nights can work for me and maybe Monday practices too.

Great to hear Rhime, looking forward to racing.

Everyone, there are discussions on the Steam group page about how the series will run. Please check them out when you get a chance.

Gerbuho
07-06-2015, 22:25
Hi everyone.

Newbie here. Just joined here and the steam group. I hope I'll be meeting you all on PCars soon (maybe tomorrow?). Not a fast driver, but I always try my best to be clean, that's the way I like it. ;)

Friday nights... excellent timing!

Cheers.

LiveWire
08-06-2015, 08:12
Hi everyone.

Newbie here. Just joined here and the steam group. I hope I'll be meeting you all on PCars soon (maybe tomorrow?). Not a fast driver, but I always try my best to be clean, that's the way I like it. ;)

Friday nights... excellent timing!

Cheers.

Welcome aboard Gerbuho, hope to see you on the track soon.

Briandtx1313
09-06-2015, 00:31
Hi, I would like to join. My Steam is Briandtx1313. Friday nights is a perfect time, you will be seeing me very often. I joined the group. Thanks!

Essobie
09-06-2015, 02:46
Joined Steam Group. Work schedule dictates that Friday Nights is probably the only consistent time I can race, so this might work out well for me. Steam name same as forum name.

YourHomieG
09-06-2015, 04:42
I joined the Steam group as well. I can't wait to finally find some clean racing, online racing is like dodging WW2 Kamikazes. This sounds like a blast!

LiveWire
09-06-2015, 15:43
Glad to see so many join, hopefully we can all get together this Friday!

DoctorKajita
09-06-2015, 23:43
Joined Steam group. Thanks for organizing!

LiveWire
10-06-2015, 04:56
This Friday, June 12th, will be the first private server event

We will be running 10-15 lap races. The track list is:

Spa (Everyone knows this track, so it should be easier to keep it clean.)
Road America
Brands Hatch
Laguna Seca
Bathhurst

As the night progresses, we will add night driving and weather.

Please pop over to the Steam group in my signature and register your car preference(s).

Server and TeamSpeak info posted in the group too.

LiveWire
10-06-2015, 04:57
Joined Steam group. Thanks for organizing!

Welcome aboard DoctorKajita, looking forward to racing this Friday.

LiveWire
11-06-2015, 05:30
The Steam group hit 30 members tonight! Let's all do our best to make it this Friday night, 9:30 PM PST. This will be a full grid. Also, please visit the Steam group forums and enter your class and car choice.

Thanks all for taking part in this.

DoctorKajita
12-06-2015, 00:00
EDIT: D'oh...*looks two posts up, finds track list*

What track will you be running tomorrow night? Or has that already been announced somewhere (if it has, sorry)?

LiveWire
12-06-2015, 02:21
Friday's session is a chance to run together on several tracks, so we can start getting familiar with each others driving styles. I have tentatively scheduled the first real race for July 3rd (might not be the best date for US players, so this might move a week either direction). I plan on holding sessions every Friday until then, I feel that the racing will be better if we have experience with each other. Many of the group I have raced with for years, so I know who brakes earlier or later and who will push harder for a spot vs who will wait for the right opportunity. I hope you will all join us consistently so we can build this same familiarity.

I haven't decided on the track order yet, but I think the list we have is good for the first season. I want to keep it shorter since both the game and group are new. The next season will have more tracks, therefore be a longer season. Here is the track list, for those that haven't visited the Steam group forums. (tracks with a star are tentative as they have issues. Hopefully the patch will fix them.)

Road America
Le Mans
Bathurst
Spa *
Nordschleife*
Brands Hatch
Laguna Seca

Feel free to suggest an order, I am thinking easier tracks to harder tracks. The * tracks will be towards the end, unless the bugs are fixed.

LiveWire
12-06-2015, 02:31
Hi guys. I just joined the group through steam. I like to think of myself as a clean racer. I'm a wheel driver (G25) and have been driving sims since GTR2 came out. I had NR2k3 but played it with keys so I don't count it. Sim racing is my primary hobby and has been for a while now. Anyway, if you'll have me I'd sure like to run with you guys!

I'm Jesse Fahrenkrog on Steam BTW.

I think I missed this post, I tried looking you up in Steam, but I'm not seeing you. Can you click the group link in my sig and make sure you are a member? (Have you maybe used another alias is Steam?)

Veevee
12-06-2015, 05:02
I haven't decided on the track order yet, but I think the list we have is good for the first season. I want to keep it shorter since both the game and group are new. The next season will have more tracks, therefore be a longer season. Here is the track list, for those that haven't visited the Steam group forums. (tracks with a star are tentative as they have issues. Hopefully the patch will fix them.)

Road America
Le Mans
Bathurst
Spa *
Nordschleife*
Brands Hatch
Laguna Seca

Feel free to suggest an order, I am thinking easier tracks to harder tracks. The * tracks will be towards the end, unless the bugs are fixed.

I don't like the idea of straight Easy -> Hard, I'd rather see more of a easy, hard, easy, hard type pattern. Of course track difficulty is very subjective anyway, so maybe look at Speed vs Handling as the main focus for track order

Of the track choices, I think my preferred order is:

Bathurst
Spa
Nordschleife
Brands Hatch
Road America
Laguna Seca
Le Mans

So the track type through the season goes Handling, Speed, Mix of Handling and Speed x2, Speed, Handling, Speed. Bathurst and Spa could easily be flipped, but I'd rather get Bathurst out of the way early since I know I'll crash out on the mountain. I have yet to do 5 consecutive laps on that track without hitting the wall hard going up or down that god forsaken mountain.

Edit: If Spa and Nordschleife are out, I vote replacing Spa with Imola or Monza and Nordschleife with Hockenheim

DoctorKajita
12-06-2015, 17:23
I like Monza, too. This is a bit of local bias, but I would love to see Sonoma and Buttonwillow in there. Sonoma is a track I'm most fond of from my motorcycle racing days.

Essobie
13-06-2015, 13:08
Good couple of races last night. Only a couple of minor incidents for me personally, and I attribute all of them to track inexperience (all on my part!).

And, we got to see that we have at least 1 alien driver, and another whose equipment is loud enough to register over voice activation in TeamSpeak. A good time was had by all!

It's a bit late for me on Friday night (I'm central time) but so long as the races end up being fun, I can probably push through a few more hours. See you folks next time.

LiveWire
13-06-2015, 19:24
Thanks everyone who showed up. I agree with essobie, great few races, nothing I saw that was more than a "racing incident". I made my share of mistakes, but I don't think they impacted anyone besides myself. Seemed like there were battles throughout the field. Hopefully more will show next Friday! Great racing guys!

Gerbuho
14-06-2015, 21:16
Hi guys.

It was a good race that one I was in (Spa), got the podium not for speed, just being in track hehe. Sorry I left after that race but I haven't driven a single mile on Road America so I would have been a mess, even in practice, and I didn't know if I could stay in lobby without racing. That was my first time ever online (PCars) so there's still much to learn about the system.

BTW, wasn't able to connect to TS server, there must be something I'n doing wrong. Was I supposed to enter IP in "name" field?

Cheers.

Gerardo

LiveWire
15-06-2015, 05:23
Hi guys.

It was a good race that one I was in (Spa), got the podium not for speed, just being in track hehe. Sorry I left after that race but I haven't driven a single mile on Road America so I would have been a mess, even in practice, and I didn't know if I could stay in lobby without racing. That was my first time ever online (PCars) so there's still much to learn about the system.

BTW, wasn't able to connect to TS server, there must be something I'n doing wrong. Was I supposed to enter IP in "name" field?

Cheers.

Gerardo

Don't worry at this point, it is all practice for now. Several other drivers hadn't driven it yet either. I had only done a handful of laps myself.

Server info is here (for members)http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FNRL/discussions/5/620713633864065717/ If this link doesn't work, go to the discussions, then Members Only.

I'm editing the first post to reflect the change to GT3s only, I don't think mixed class is a good choice at this point. Hopefully in the second season. I think we also need to wait before we use the weather. Day\Night cycle will stay though. Please check on the Steam Group discussions, the link is in my signature.

LiveWire
26-06-2015, 16:12
Sorry for the brief absence, but I'm back and ready to race. Tonight about 9:30pm pst the BCS Motorsports server will be up. GT3s, races about 30 minutes in duration.

BC Ninja
26-06-2015, 19:26
Not sure I can make it tonight but will try. If I don't, hope everyone has fun!

LiveWire
07-07-2015, 23:00
First race of the season, this Friday, July 10 @ 9:30 PM PST. GT3s @ Laguna Seca, 20 minute Qualifying, 10 minute warmup, then 1 hour race. Performance impacting damage, real tire wear and fuel consumption. Accelerated time to give full day\ night cycle. Clear weather. Server info in Steam group in my signature.

Veevee
08-07-2015, 06:32
I should be there. How many laps are we looking at?

LiveWire
08-07-2015, 16:19
45 laps should push us past the hour mark.

Veevee
10-07-2015, 03:02
And I was just told I'll be leaving town for the night tomorrow afternoon, so I guess I wont be there

LiveWire
14-07-2015, 21:16
Due to low attendance we will be running the server public on Friday nights, about 20 lap races, in hopes of recruiting enough people to actually hold league races.

LiveWire
29-07-2015, 20:44
I'm going to keep the group going, but as far as leagues go, many of us will be going to the Can Am and TAW.net leagues. I can recommend Can Am, the best set of guys I've ever raced with. TAW seems really well run, but I haven't raced with them yet. Tonight I will, but I assume they are going to be good too.