PDA

View Full Version : Is there really BIG GRAPHICS DIFFERENCE between PS4 and PC versions...

GiGAHEART
17-05-2015, 15:46
...because I got Project CARS on PS4, and I'm looking at the PC version vids on Youtube, and IMO they are virtually identical.

I've read on the internet that the PS4 version is 1080p at 60fps, correct? In my HDTV, it's lifelike. Sometimes family and friends, whenever they pass by as I play in, they think it's actually a real race on live TV.

Honestly I don't really know what's with these numbers, 1080p, 720p, 60fps, 30fps, etc. they only mattered and being discussed recently anyway but as long as the game looks good to me, I'm cool with it.

I just don't get it some guys say that their PC vesion is superior than my PS4 version and this and that, so I hope to hear directly from the amazing devs behind the game, not from anyone else, but Slightly Mad Studio guys, to tell it to me that my PS4 version of Project CARS is virtually identical to the supposedly "superior" PC version.

Thanks guys appreciate it.

*~*

Failrunner
17-05-2015, 15:51
Depends on your pc. I can't max the game out unless I want 10 fps I don't think the game looks better on my pc compared to the PS4. Maxed out I can't tell much of a difference honestly. Probably a big difference in the aliasing department though. Also youtube videos are hard to go by. They get compressed and lose quality. I plan on getting the PS4 version of the game soon. Some people may notice a big difference and some people like me may be wondering what that difference actually is.

Ripgroove
17-05-2015, 15:52
...because I got Project CARS on PS4, and I'm looking at the PC version vids on Youtube, and IMO they are virtually identical.

I've read on the internet that the PS4 version is 1080p at 60fps, correct? In my HDTV, it's lifelike. Sometimes family and friends, whenever they pass by as I play in, they think it's actually a real race on live TV.

Honestly I don't really know what's with these numbers, 1080p, 720p, 60fps, 30fps, etc. they only mattered and being discussed recently anyway but as long as the game looks good to me, I'm cool with it.

I just don't get it some guys say that their PC vesion is superior than my PS4 version and this and that, so I hope to hear directly from the amazing devs behind the game, not from anyone else, but Slightly Mad Studio guys, to tell it to me that my PS4 version of Project CARS is virtually identical to the supposedly "superior" PC version.

*~*

Well for one the PC version can be played at 4K. Comparing "PC to PS4" is silly really because the PS4 is 1080p 60fps at best whereas that same 1080p 60fps is pretty much the lowest acceptable resolution on the PC, don't get me wrong 1080p 60fps on the PC looks stunning and many people play like that (me for one) BUT I'm sure many other PC players are playing at 1440p 144fps etc etc all the way up until 4K.

I guess the only real question here is which looks better at 1080p 60fps, PC or PS4?

Takenover83
17-05-2015, 15:52
See for yourself. IMO, PS4 version stands up really well to the PC version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZfCkRvhkg0

Microcosmix
17-05-2015, 15:53
If you use 1080P no, it looks basicly idetincal.

Ripgroove
17-05-2015, 15:56

Good video, looks like PC > PS4 > XBone

Agreed though at 1080p the PS4 version is pretty good.

Do we know if the PS4 version actually manages a constant 60fps no matter what?

Gimpymoo
17-05-2015, 16:00
Op, no "Amazing" developer will ever say "Yes, the console version is identical to the PC version", that would mean their game is pants. If they ever did, their game is not optimised well at all.

Luckily, this game does play at 1440p and beyond and 1440p at 60fps is a dream to play at.

PeteUplink
17-05-2015, 16:06
I've not noticed any big difference between my PC version of the game and my PS4 version... That being said I am only using a 650 TI Boost graphics card in my PC.

This is how it looks on my PC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LCcc7OvG5g

yusupov
17-05-2015, 16:12
honestly if i casually look at shots of the game on low vs ultra i dont know which is which as i havent trained myself to look for any signifiers.

if you were choosing b/w the two id advice PC because you can & probably will upgrade it & youll get better performance & quality both. but i wouldnt worry about it, the main thing on ps4 is for it to be smooth, visually theyve done what they can to make it look as good as possible so theres not really going to be a big difference on your tv b/w ultra PC & ps4. keeping a stable framerate is really all you have to worry about, fortunately they did target 60fps for console & despite those videos trying to make it seem like they didnt come close in 95%+ of situations you should get fluid framerates.

ChipWood
17-05-2015, 16:12
The PS4 doesn't output at 1080p it outputs at 900p so there is a difference. A computer has much more power than a PS4 you guys dont get all the partials and lighting and anti-aliasing.

Failrunner
17-05-2015, 16:20
I've not noticed any big difference between my PC version of the game and my PS4 version... That being said I am only using a 650 TI Boost graphics card in my PC.

This is how it looks on my PC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LCcc7OvG5g

Yeah that's the same card I got. I set it to 1080p with very little aa. I've been able to push the graphics a little i'm still working on it.

N0body Of The Goat
17-05-2015, 16:20
Well the predefinedsettings file lists...

<PS4>
<textureFilter value="1" />
<textureResolution value="2" />
<carDetail value="1" />
<trackDetail value="1" />
<shadowDetail value="2" />
<motionBlurLevel value="1" />
<effectsDetailLevel value="0" />
<emapDetailLevel value="1" />
<mirrorEnabled value="0" />
<reflectionEmapDetailLevel value="1" />
<antialiasingSetting value="0" />
<antialiasingMode value="0" />
<FXAASetting value="0" />
<SMAASetting value="0" />
<maxFrameLatency value="2" />
<DetailedGrassEnabled value="1" />
<LensFlareEnabled value="1" />
<BloomEnabled value="1" />
<HeatHazeEnabled value="0" />
<ExteriorLensFlareSetting value="1" />
<InteriorLensFlareSetting value="1" />
<GlobalSpecularIrradianceEnabled value="1" />
<RainDropsSetting value="1" />
<ScreenDirtSetting value="1" />
<CrepuscularRaysSetting value="1" />
<LampostLightsSetting value="1" />
<StreachedHeadlightsSetting value="0" />
<VignetteSetting value="0" />
<ParticleLevel value="1" />
<ParticleDensity value="1" />
</PS4>

So somewhere close to medium settings on pc.

e15f
17-05-2015, 16:23
Playing on Ps4, i find the refections in the rain on the track really blocky. Would actually like an option to turn them off as they looks odd.

Nignire
17-05-2015, 18:14
Well the predefinedsettings file lists...

<PS4>
<textureFilter value="1" />
<textureResolution value="2" />
<carDetail value="1" />
<trackDetail value="1" />
<shadowDetail value="2" />
<motionBlurLevel value="1" />
<effectsDetailLevel value="0" />
<emapDetailLevel value="1" />
<mirrorEnabled value="0" />
<reflectionEmapDetailLevel value="1" />
<antialiasingSetting value="0" />
<antialiasingMode value="0" />
<FXAASetting value="0" />
<SMAASetting value="0" />
<maxFrameLatency value="2" />
<DetailedGrassEnabled value="1" />
<LensFlareEnabled value="1" />
<BloomEnabled value="1" />
<HeatHazeEnabled value="0" />
<ExteriorLensFlareSetting value="1" />
<InteriorLensFlareSetting value="1" />
<GlobalSpecularIrradianceEnabled value="1" />
<RainDropsSetting value="1" />
<ScreenDirtSetting value="1" />
<CrepuscularRaysSetting value="1" />
<LampostLightsSetting value="1" />
<StreachedHeadlightsSetting value="0" />
<VignetteSetting value="0" />
<ParticleLevel value="1" />
<ParticleDensity value="1" />
</PS4>

So somewhere close to medium settings on pc.

Does 1 = Low and 2 = Medium ?

N0body Of The Goat
17-05-2015, 18:42
Depends upon the setting in question. For example...

Shadow: 0 (off); 1 (low); 2 (med); 3 (high); 4 (ultra)
Track/Car: 0 (low); 1 (med); 2 (high); 3 (ultra)
CrepuscularRays: On/off

Rudee
17-05-2015, 18:47
These are PC shots taken at 1440p on Ultra. Not sure how they would compare with PS4 as I don't own a console.

http://i.imgur.com/3M1PkEO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/tKX7M0F.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/AQwRZmw.jpg

CustomInternals
17-05-2015, 19:03
^ Unless you have a monitor that supports 4K or 1440P and it's set to that resolution I don't think looking at the content will be of much use. I doubt there would be a difference when looking at a 1080P Pic/Vid vs. 4K Pic/Vid on a monitor in 1920x1080. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

If what The Goat said is true then yes, even at 1080P PC would look better if your rig can do 1080P on Ultra. I assume the OP meant comparing it to the same resolution but if he mean't overall, it's basically going to be down to what your PC can handle. Most people that build PC's to game on don't skimp out on the goodies so 1080P on Ultra I would think is actually more of the lower spectrum of players. Unless recording or streaming of course. I myself downgrade my resolution when I stream or record because how hard of an FPS hit it causes. I also am decent at visually seeing how "good" it looks in comparison since I'm use to switching back and forth so much. 1080P, even on Medium settings should look good to most people. The differences from medium to ultra on the same resolution aren't going to be as noticeable as 1080P vs 4K. The higher pixel density of a higher resolution will make the game look better, even if you have to turn some of the graphics settings down a bit. As long as you keep a decent, steady FPS. Until you get use to seeing 4K content, then your 1080P that your seeing now is going to look just as good, if not better, than anything else you've ever seen.

Easty
17-05-2015, 19:29
If you think I dont get 60fps maxed settings with Nvidia 780tIs single screen 1080p. do you really think the ps4 is doing this? if so it's either highly under optimized on PC, which probably makes sense these days.

AC in comparison I can do 1080p x3 though with lots less eye candy.

Here's a recent vid maxed everything at 1080p/60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2fWgwR7bYs

k.merse
17-05-2015, 19:56
If you have a strong enough PC, then on max setup it looks much better than on PS4.

DUST2DEATH
17-05-2015, 21:07
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-MYT-u_I5BbU/VVJauOkzr_I/AAAAAAAAHbo/SKpZeR7mbo0/w810-h512-no/bbb.gif
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-6LZcyz4ffS8/VVJaujZPaUI/AAAAAAAAHbs/tx1wKXheQXE/w935-h646-no/aaa.gif
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-L79VPdESZ90/VTwLVStNeVI/AAAAAAAAHSQ/naPpPVVdCJk/s1920/01.png

GiGAHEART
18-05-2015, 18:54
Those pics by Dust, I can't really tell a difference besides water reflections (2nd pic) and vegetation (1st pic).

That's it.

For casual eyes that it won't be noticeable either.

Thanks for the pics though dude appreciate effort to upload bro.

*~*

LordDRIFT
18-05-2015, 18:59
Visually the PC has more bells and whistles. On PC the surrounding (distant) area reflects off a wet surface. Tail lights also reflect off track surface along with the car's detailed reflection. These are not on the ps4 versions. Some cars also have more micro detail (like exposed rivets / when the PS4 version shows smooth seams).

Edit : (saw someone posted pic a page ago) oops.

DUST2DEATH
18-05-2015, 20:26
Those pics by Dust, I can't really tell a difference besides water reflections (2nd pic) and vegetation (1st pic).

That's it.

For casual eyes that it won't be noticeable either.

Thanks for the pics though dude appreciate effort to upload bro.

*~*

They arent mine, I nicked them from the Gaf thread, CR: MaLDo.

ELAhrairah
18-05-2015, 22:41

*~*

I have both and yes...there is...the lighting is better on pc( sunshine through trees etc...rain reflections are better..particle density...car detail....mirroring..track detail....all approx 25% better on a high end pc with most settings on high and a few on ultra...

Still I am impressed by the ps4...Sony has really nailed it...they built a 350$ dollar console that is not destroyed by a high end pc...Xbone on the other hand sux big time...not even 1080 p...we are living in the year 2015 for F**** sake....

Ian Bell
18-05-2015, 22:50
No.

Mr Akina
18-05-2015, 23:36
Xbone on the other hand sux big time...not even 1080 p...we are living in the year 2015 for F**** sake....

Yep.

monty585
20-05-2015, 19:12

It's funny you guys are saying it's virtually identical. All you have to do is watch this vid Takeover83 posted to see the reality of the situation. But you do have to ACTUALLY watch it. If you ACTUALLY watch it, it's obvious that while some things are very close, the PC - of course - outpaces both the XBO and PS4.

Some specifics that are without a doubt much better on PC:

grass
environment map
rain
reflections
shadow detail
texture resolution
track detail
car detail

Of course this depends on your machine's setup and power, but c'mon guys. You seriously want to say a console could go head to head with a PC in this day and age? WAKE UP.

Ian Bell
20-05-2015, 19:43
The PS4 doesn't output at 1080p it outputs at 900p so there is a difference. A computer has much more power than a PS4 you guys dont get all the partials and lighting and anti-aliasing.

PS4 is running at full 1080p. Xbox One is running at 900p.

Joao
20-05-2015, 20:18
The PS4 has 20 radeon graphics cores on the die. This is the same as the HD 7870, still a decent mid-range card for PC games, and you can expect it to be squeezed a little better when used on a console. So, there you have it, at this point you have "PC grade" hardware on the PS4, hence the visual quality being the same at 1080p.

XBOX1, just for information, has 14 radeon cores of the same type. But has a faster CPU.

monty585
20-05-2015, 22:15
The PS4 has 20 radeon graphics cores on the die. This is the same as the HD 7870, still a decent mid-range card for PC games, and you can expect it to be squeezed a little better when used on a console. So, there you have it, at this point you have "PC grade" hardware on the PS4, hence the visual quality being the same at 1080p.

XBOX1, just for information, has 14 radeon cores of the same type. But has a faster CPU.

But it's not the same at 1080. What do you mean it's the same at 1080. You mean if someone is using an HD 7870 in their pc? Then yes, I guess it is the same at 1080.
God I feel like a troll right now. :D

Forcedchaos
20-05-2015, 22:29
So tired of all this graphics and resolution crap. No wonder most video games that have come out over the last year have sucked. GAMEPLAY PEOPLE AND DEVELOPERS remember what that is? Not even going to post my specs, I was over that years ago.

Joao
20-05-2015, 22:50
But it's not the same at 1080. What do you mean it's the same at 1080. You mean if someone is using an HD 7870 in their pc? Then yes, I guess it is the same at 1080.
God I feel like a troll right now. :D

ok, put "allmost the same" in there.

Patrik Marek
20-05-2015, 22:58
one of the biggest differences for me is the road, in ps4 it looks like there isn't detail in it ( at least when it's moving) on PC, even with moblur, you still see detail.
But they are pretty comparable.

HarryHoodlum
20-05-2015, 23:03
Everything looks a little nicer on a high-end PC. Higher-res and added frames can even further enhance graphics.

Still prefer console for it's slick integration into my life and price, but man, some games just look shiny as hell on PC (project cars included).

GAT_Montana
20-05-2015, 23:10
one of the biggest differences for me is the road, in ps4 it looks like there isn't detail in it ( at least when it's moving) on PC, even with moblur, you still see detail.
But they are pretty comparable.

Its because of the extremely low texture filtering on the PS4. On PC I assume you set 8x or max (16x). This makes everything washed out on the PS4. For me the biggest disadvantage because its most visible.

Patrik Marek
21-05-2015, 02:31
yep, running on 16x on PC

monty585
21-05-2015, 02:49
So tired of all this graphics and resolution crap. No wonder most video games that have come out over the last year have sucked. GAMEPLAY PEOPLE AND DEVELOPERS remember what that is? Not even going to post my specs, I was over that years ago.

Yes, everyone remembers what "GAMEPLAY PEOPLE AND DEVELOPERS" are.
This thread (that you are participating in) is talking about the graphic comparison between platforms. Some of us care about details (like how to properly use grammar and things of that nature).
With that in mind, some of us also care to get it right when comparing the graphic performance between platforms, and the fact is:

With a high-performance PC you can experience the cleanest looking version of the game. So people need to stop saying it's the same. Because it's not.
It's fine if it looks great on PS4 and XBO, and it does.

But those of us who pay a premium to play games at their highest graphical detail (and trust me when I say we also greatly appreciate how beautiful the game is at full performance) think it's hilarious that a couple console fanboys have actually fooled themselves into thinking it's even remotely acceptable to say that PS4 and XBO can rival the PC when the evidence so purely illustrates the opposite conclusion.

If all of this is a little difficult to process, let me put it a simpler way: PC make dis game luk dam gud.