PDA

View Full Version : REAL ASSISTS GAME CHANGER

Initia1 B
17-05-2015, 17:59
So today I decided to try the game with all out realism. No steering assist, No brake assist, no advanced and real traction, ABS and stability control. Having done so it seems to have totally changed the way the game plays, even the awful lock to lock bug hasn't raised its ugly head. Couple this with the fact that my Forza driving style is starting to fade and Im finally starting to really enjoy pCars at last. Its properly rewarding when you hook up that perfect lap to take pole. For any of you who haven't tried the full sim experiance give it a go as for me its been a real game changer. All I need now is some more cars please! I know, I know there's a thread for that......

nissan4ever
17-05-2015, 18:06
So today I decided to try the game with all out realism. No steering assist, No brake assist, no advanced and real traction, ABS and stability control. Having done so it seems to have totally changed the way the game plays, even the awful lock to lock bug hasn't raised its ugly head. Couple this with the fact that my Forza driving style is starting to fade and Im finally starting to really enjoy pCars at last. Its properly rewarding when you hook up that perfect lap to take pole. For any of you who haven't tried the full sim experiance give it a go as for me its been a real game changer. All I need now is some more cars please! I know, I know there's a thread for that......

I agree with everything but the more cars. Don't need no Forza or GT car counts here. Game already has more than enough

Rockefelluh
17-05-2015, 18:19
I agree with everything but the more cars. Don't need no Forza or GT car counts here. Game already has more than enough

Meh. I think it is a decent amount, but there are brands missing. Ferrari, Bentley (coming soon), toyota, and of course Nissan!!
Many will be in the game eventually.

Initia1 B
18-05-2015, 18:40
Dont get me wrong I would't care if no more road cars were added ever but id like to see the existing groups thickened out a little. It wouldn't hurt to have another DTM or another Group C for example. Id like to see Japanese motorsport represented too, a through the years collection of JGTC and then Super GT would be great. Hint hint....

bc525
18-05-2015, 18:48
I was tempted to turn off all the assists and go full on simulation mode .... but I chickened out and kept my typical Forza type set up for now (auto transmission, abs on, tcs on, etc.). Maybe after a little bit more time with pCARS, I'll gradually start turning off the assists one at a time.

dwalldorf
18-05-2015, 18:52
I actually like driving with ABS. Maybe that's because the Nordschleife is my favorite track and it's very very helpful here. No way (at least for me) to get faster without ABS.
I'm sure it will be of advantage for some tracks though.

Beamin
18-05-2015, 18:55

I use nothing but assists off and sim everything. The problems have been there since day one. So, this holds no water.

Initia1 B
18-05-2015, 20:46
I think you'll find I said " for me"

Darth Bambi 83
18-05-2015, 20:49
Ae86 please...

Haiden
18-05-2015, 21:21
I actually like driving with ABS. Maybe that's because the Nordschleife is my favorite track and it's very very helpful here. No way (at least for me) to get faster without ABS.
I'm sure it will be of advantage for some tracks though.

You'll never feel like more of a badass than the day you make a clean hard run on the Nordschleife with no assists. :cool:

Nordschleife is my base track. I tune all new cars there first. I find it gives me a well-rounded tune to take to the other tracks.

dwalldorf
19-05-2015, 05:33
You'll never feel like more of a badass than the day you make a clean hard run on the Nordschleife with no assists. :cool:

Nordschleife is my base track. I tune all new cars there first. I find it gives me a well-rounded tune to take to the other tracks.

Exactly the same for me. Tune most of the cars here and always feel like a rockstar when finishing a round at the limit without invalidating :)
What's your time on GT3 cars here by the way?

I would actually like to race without ABS but the T300 brake pedal provides too little feedback for me. I mean there is not resistance in the pedal. I drive a car in real life and I'm so much used to the progressive resistance of the pedal, that I just can't feel where I'm at 80% or at 90% which does make a difference. So hopefully, I can turn ABS off as soon as I can get myself to order the T3PA :)

stux
19-05-2015, 06:07
T3pa conical brake mod really helps with that ;)

There is brake mod for the tx/t300 pedals on isrt.tv, maybe give it a go?

stux
19-05-2015, 06:09
T3pa really helps with that ;)

There is brake mod for the tx pedals on isrt.tv, maybe give it a go?

Did the leg work for you ;)

http://www.isrtv.com/pc-racing/diy-thrustmaster-tx-and-t300-rs-brake-pedal-mod/

dwalldorf
19-05-2015, 06:39
Did the leg work for you ;)

http://www.isrtv.com/pc-racing/diy-thrustmaster-tx-and-t300-rs-brake-pedal-mod/

Thanks mate, I read about that but I won't do it.
I want to go for the T3PA for the clutch pedal as well and I don't want to give myself excuses for not buying it because now the brake works and huh do I really spend that much just for the clutch.. naah.. The more reasons I have, the earlier I will purchase what I really want :D

Bealdor
19-05-2015, 07:07
...Nordschleife is my base track. I tune all new cars there first. I find it gives me a well-rounded tune to take to the other tracks.

Isn't this a bit strange though? I mean, this track is totally different than most "regular" race tracks. You need much more ride height for example. Wouldn't it be better to use an average track you're familiar with to work on a base setup? :)

menaceuk
19-05-2015, 07:11

While no assists at all is fine & dandy and great experience, the 'Real Assists' are there for a reason, they are there because the cars use them in real life. Ergo, using 'Real Assists' is actually the the most sim option of the lot.

OrenIshii BE
19-05-2015, 07:15
While no assists at all is fine & dandy and great experience, the 'Real Assists' are there for a reason, they are there because the cars use them in real life. Ergo, using 'Real Assists' is actually the the most sim option of the lot.

That is a bold statement, but i would be inclined to agree with that.
I'm guessing a lot of die-hard sim fans will shout blasphemy tho

menaceuk
19-05-2015, 07:18
That is a bold statement, but i would be inclined to agree with that.
I'm guessing a lot of die-hard sim fans will shout blasphemy tho

They most likely will, but lets face it, if a GT3 car uses ABS & Traction Control in real life then a simulation by definition should also use them. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with turning them off though.

dwalldorf
19-05-2015, 08:04
Isn't this a bit strange though? I mean, this track is totally different than most "regular" race tracks. You need much more ride height for example. Wouldn't it be better to use an average track you're familiar with to work on a base setup? :)

Yes the Nordschleife is quite unique in terms of the track design. But it has it all. It has extremely fast corners and reasonably slow ones. It has jumps where you go over hilltops and jumps where you drop down a hill. It has parts that are very grippy and parts that are not (due to different track surfaces). It has parts where it is quite plane and parts that are bumpy as fuck.

You can use this track to find a nice base setup. A perfect setup for Nordschleife, will most likely not be perfect for most other tracks, for sure. Plus it's awesome to find your preferred FFB settings.

Rockstar Matt
19-05-2015, 08:24
I was tempted to turn off all the assists and go full on simulation mode .... but I chickened out and kept my typical Forza type set up for now (auto transmission, abs on, tcs on, etc.). Maybe after a little bit more time with pCARS, I'll gradually start turning off the assists one at a time.

Whoa, you use auto transmission? My advice to you buddy is to turn that off immediately. That's the easiest assist to turn off and get use to the quickest.

Robhd
19-05-2015, 08:27
Yes... I have had everything turned off since day one and the probs are as described elsewhere... Myself, i have given up until they fix it... All the joy is knocked out of the game at the moment on xbox

Initia1 B
19-05-2015, 08:29

I like to use Donnington for base set ups

OrenIshii BE
19-05-2015, 08:36
I like to use Donnington for base set ups

this is getting a bit off-topic, but for me it's Catalunya GP.

On topic:
Good people enjoying the game in anyways and by any means. either by setting different assists or through certain controller settings.
There's plenty of workarounds to get our fix while we wait for a patch :D

Initia1 B
19-05-2015, 13:17
They most likely will, but lets face it, if a GT3 car uses ABS & Traction Control in real life then a simulation by definition should also use them. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with turning them off though.

Totally agree, for me personally driving a modern GT car and using a manual clutch just takes away from the realism. Or is that a good excuse for me not having the skill to use one?

Niveous21
19-05-2015, 15:13
I've had all assists off since install. Half the reason I bought this game was to finally get a realistic sim experience on a console. I am not disappointed thusfar. I think the physics engine is fantastic. You have to be constantly vigilant that all 4 wheels are sorted and you're changing gears properly during cornering and acceleration, and it adds an intensity to the driving that other console racers have not really offered. And I'm saying that as a massive Forza and GT fan.

stux
19-05-2015, 15:25
Thanks mate, I read about that but I won't do it.
I want to go for the T3PA for the clutch pedal as well and I don't want to give myself excuses for not buying it because now the brake works and huh do I really spend that much just for the clutch.. naah.. The more reasons I have, the earlier I will purchase what I really want :D

Sounds exactly like my logic :)

I'm not actually using the clutch at the moment, will start to once my th8a arrives next week tho, but maybe only in non flappy cars

Haiden
19-05-2015, 15:50
Exactly the same for me. Tune most of the cars here and always feel like a rockstar when finishing a round at the limit without invalidating :)
What's your time on GT3 cars here by the way?

I would actually like to race without ABS but the T300 brake pedal provides too little feedback for me. I mean there is not resistance in the pedal. I drive a car in real life and I'm so much used to the progressive resistance of the pedal, that I just can't feel where I'm at 80% or at 90% which does make a difference. So hopefully, I can turn ABS off as soon as I can get myself to order the T3PA :)

Don't remember my time in PCars, but it was in the low 7mins in Forza 5. I was actually ranked in the low 2,000s.

In my opinion, that's what makes it perfect for a base tune. It throws a little bit of everything at you. :)

Dynomight Motorsports
19-05-2015, 15:58
I prefer No Assists after running Grid Autosport without them, but our next League BTCC series has us running within the rules, using GT3 cars with Traction Control and ABS. I use a wheel.

bc525
19-05-2015, 16:00
A little off topic, but I've always used Laguna Seca and Road America for my test tracks. Laguna Seca is a tight technical track perfect for handling tests, and Road America is more flat out and aggressive (and plus I've been to RA in person many times, it's just a fun track).

Also, someone earlier in the thread recommended that I switch off the auto transmission, so I'll see how that goes. For now I can see that I need ABS and TCS both on, but I'll see if I can handle the manual transmission with the Xbox gamepad.

Is the manual transmission really that much quicker?

menaceuk
19-05-2015, 16:04
A little off topic, but I've always used Laguna Seca and Road America for my test tracks. Laguna Seca is a tight technical track perfect for handling tests, and Road America is more flat out and aggressive (and plus I've been to RA in person many times, it's just a fun track).

Also, someone earlier in the thread recommended that I switch off the auto transmission, so I'll see how that goes. For now I can see that I need ABS and TCS both on, but I'll see if I can handle the manual transmission with the Xbox gamepad.

Technically, it should be much quicker. Assuming you do it right.

As for ABS, if you have issues locking up your brakes, lower the brake sensitivity in controller settings and/or lower brake pressure in the car tuning section--Do not lower it below 90% though.

MoneyMan300
19-05-2015, 16:08

Completely agree with this. I still like the feel of no assists and I'm faster without them. I was running the Audi R8 and BMW Z4 GT3 cars on Silverstone International yesterday. I was getting a ton of understeer with the R8 (some is normal) and the Z4 felt sluggish out of the turns. I went out the chase view and noticed the assists were on. I checked and somehow I accidentally had it set to real, so I turned everything back to off. Went back out and noticed a pretty big difference. I was struggling to break 1:06.5 with the Z4 with assists, I ran 1:05.5 on my 2nd lap without the assists.

It's all about how it works for you and how you can best enjoy the game.

menaceuk
19-05-2015, 16:11
Completely agree with this. I still like the feel of no assists and I'm faster without them. I was running the Audi R8 and BMW Z4 GT3 cars on Silverstone International yesterday. I was getting a ton of understeer with the R8 (some is normal) and the Z4 felt sluggish out of the turns. I went out the chase view and noticed the assists were on. I checked and somehow I accidentally had it set to real, so I turned everything back to off. Went back out and noticed a pretty big difference. I was struggling to break 1:06.5 with the Z4 with assists, I was ran 1:05.5 in my 2nd lap on my 2nd lap without the assists.

It's all about how it works for you and how you can best enjoy the game.

I know exactly what you mean. I am currently running in the GT4 class(career) and noticed my Aston Martin was very sluggish exiting slow corners, turned Traction Control off and it helped significantly.

MoneyMan300
19-05-2015, 16:13

I used Laguna in Forza 5 to tune all my grip cars...and frequently used RA to tune more speed based cars too. I haven't tested the difference between auto and manual in pCars, but typically manual is faster and you can control your gears. In Forza, it's sometimes seconds faster per lap depending on the track, especially user manual w/clutch. It really only takes a couple hours of track time to get used to it....after that it's hard to go back.

menaceuk
19-05-2015, 16:16

You might find that Monza is the best track to tune with in this game. It has long sweeping corners, tight chicanes, and one or two bumps. If you get your car going round Monza well, it should go round pretty much anywhere well.

bc525
19-05-2015, 16:23
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm fairly comfortable with Monza from playing the F1 games by Codemasters, so that could help me out. Manual transmission will probably take me some time, but I'll start with that and go from there.

Laguna Seca has always been my default test track going back to all the Forza games I've played, so I can sort out a car pretty quickly on that track. That track will immediately punish a poor handling car!

Haiden
19-05-2015, 17:46
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm fairly comfortable with Monza from playing the F1 games by Codemasters, so that could help me out. Manual transmission will probably take me some time, but I'll start with that and go from there.

Laguna Seca has always been my default test track going back to all the Forza games I've played, so I can sort out a car pretty quickly on that track. That track will immediately punish a poor handling car!

The thing is, it will always take you a few hours of play to get use to the assists change, so with that in mind, why put it off? If you plan to do it someday, then today's just as good. Get it out of the way and be done. It's not like it's going to be any easier to do later. In fact, it'll probably just be that much harder, since you will have been using them that much longer. :)

Ez Robson
19-05-2015, 21:01
I myself run the game with the "Real Assists" setting for the added bit of realism so that when i hop into GT3 cars i have the TCS ABS etc even though i don't need them i just like that extra bit of realism

bc525
21-05-2015, 15:03
The thing is, it will always take you a few hours of play to get use to the assists change, so with that in mind, why put it off? If you plan to do it someday, then today's just as good. Get it out of the way and be done. It's not like it's going to be any easier to do later. In fact, it'll probably just be that much harder, since you will have been using them that much longer.

I appreciate what you're saying here, but Project CARS is really my first experience with a true racing sim. Trust me, this game has a very steep learning curve for me. I'm using the Xbox gamepad and the steering is so much more sensitive than what I'm used to that my focus right now is just to turn as many clean and consistent laps as I can. In the past I've played all of the Forza titles, Grid AutoSport, and most of the F1 games from Codemasters, and to be honest I've probably developed some bad habits in those games that PCARS is now forcing me to confront.

Maybe I'm being lazy, but right now my approach is to use the assists and just get comfortable with the steering, braking, throttle control, and overall sensitivity of PCARS. Last night I ran some laps at Road America in the Audi R18 TDi and that was a real handful even with the assists turned on. I fear that if I turn all assists off at once this game will simply be unplayable for me. Instead of immediately jumping in the deep end I think I'm going to ease my way into PCARS by gradually coming to grips with everything and then begin turning off assists one at a time.

To quote What About Bob - "I'm not slacking, I'm baby stepping. I'm doing the work."

Bealdor
21-05-2015, 15:57
I appreciate what you're saying here, but Project CARS is really my first experience with a true racing sim. Trust me, this game has a very steep learning curve for me. I'm using the Xbox gamepad and the steering is so much more sensitive than what I'm used to that my focus right now is just to turn as many clean and consistent laps as I can. In the past I've played all of the Forza titles, Grid AutoSport, and most of the F1 games from Codemasters, and to be honest I've probably developed some bad habits in those games that PCARS is now forcing me to confront.

Maybe I'm being lazy, but right now my approach is to use the assists and just get comfortable with the steering, braking, throttle control, and overall sensitivity of PCARS. Last night I ran some laps at Road America in the Audi R18 TDi and that was a real handful even with the assists turned on. I fear that if I turn all assists off at once this game will simply be unplayable for me. Instead of immediately jumping in the deep end I think I'm going to ease my way into PCARS by gradually coming to grips with everything and then begin turning off assists one at a time.

To quote What About Bob - "I'm not slacking, I'm baby stepping. I'm doing the work."

You know what? The best setting is always the one that lets you enjoy the game the most. :)
So if you like it with assists on then go ahead and have fun.

Pro tip: The R18 is difficult to drive for a LMP1 car imo. Try the RWD P30, it's much easier to drive (again: IMO).

Cliffyboy1962
21-05-2015, 16:45
I know exactly what you mean. I am currently running in the GT4 class(career) and noticed my Aston Martin was very sluggish exiting slow corners, turned Traction Control off and it helped significantly.

Which is the very reason I turn traction control ON, to help during corner exit. It takes all sorts I suppose.

menaceuk
21-05-2015, 17:55
Which is the very reason I turn traction control ON, to help during corner exit. It takes all sorts I suppose.

It surely does.

Each car will be different. On some it will help and on others it will hinder. Plus, like you say, depends on the driver as well.

You could always lower Acceleration diff lock, or increase rear suspension stiffness, or lower rear ride height, or all of them for exit oversteer.

bc525
21-05-2015, 20:20
Pro tip: The R18 is difficult to drive for a LMP1 car imo. Try the RWD P30, it's much easier to drive (again: IMO).

Good to know. I wasn't doing too bad with the R18, just kept making way too many little mistakes.

In honor of the upcoming Monaco Grand Prix I'm going to get really brave and do a quick race weekend with Formula A cars at the Azure GP Circuit. Should be very interesting.