PDA

View Full Version : Struggling with blown engine - help or advice?

LukasHabberto
17-05-2015, 18:41
Hi all,

I'm having a really hard time with blowing my engine in Clios. I'm being really careful to avoid contact and running off track, and when changing gears up and down I aim to shift before the green shift lights show, but my engines just keep blowing. I managed a lap and a half of Silverstone National today, not hitting the shift lights once, and on track the whole way and my engine just blew! Any ideas?

I've been running it with mechanical damage off and the car keeps randomly popping into 1st gear. Is this what's causing my engine to blow? Is it a bug? Or something I'm doing?

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas, please let me know as it is currently ruining my game!

I've not noticed it with other cars, but tbh I've mainly been driving the Clios so I'll be keeping an eye out...

Cheers!

Browhatswong
17-05-2015, 18:46
Open radiator?

LukasHabberto
17-05-2015, 18:50
That's not an option with the Clios unfortunately...

Browhatswong
17-05-2015, 18:56
That's not an option with the Clios unfortunately...
My apologies didn't realise

jellejelle
17-05-2015, 19:08
Been having the same issue with a Pagani Zonda around Monza. Tried a whole bunch of things, even turning on auto gears and TC to avoid any sort of issue, but can't seem to manage more than 2 laps without getting the engine blown up. Car doesn't appear to have a radiator setting.

I'll take whatever advice you guys have for LukasHabberto.

cliffter88
17-05-2015, 19:15
Very odd, I am playing my way through the career with the Clio and so far have had no issues with them and I'm quite aggressive with my down shifting and also change just before the limiter.

LukasHabberto
17-05-2015, 19:56
It is SO frustrating. I'm on the final race of the Clio Cup and I need to score top 10 to win the championship. I've spent the past hour, restarting because my engine blows each time. I make no contact with other cars, don't run off the track at all and never let the shift lights come on and still my engine blows EVERY time. Why oh why is this happening?!

HEF51
17-05-2015, 19:59
It is SO frustrating. I'm on the final race of the Clio Cup and I need to score top 10 to win the championship. I've spent the past hour, restarting because my engine blows each time. I make no contact with other cars, don't run off the track at all and never let the shift lights come on and still my engine blows EVERY time. Why oh why is this happening?!

There has to be a reason. How are you downshifting? Maybe video will help us. Watch the Oil and Water Temps on the Motec.

Captnkuesel
17-05-2015, 20:00
Does it maybe happen at random? And then since you always load your game it always happens then as it was determined before saving that next race the engine will blow? Honestly, I have no idea.

LukasHabberto
17-05-2015, 20:02
I'm being so gentle on the downshifts. Not letting the shift lights even hit green. As I say, I'm also experiencing the car dropping into 1st gear randomly when I'm not even shifting, and I've a feeling that it may well be related. Would there be a reason for that happening, or is it a glitch? It happens even with damage turned off (but minus the blown engine)..,

LukasHabberto
17-05-2015, 20:03
But I'd say I suffer from engine blowing during 60% of my sessions, maybe more...

HEF51
17-05-2015, 20:04
Well shifting into 1st would most surely do it. when is it happening? Like I said, maybe a video would help us identify the issue.

LukasHabberto
17-05-2015, 20:09
At random. Occasionally it is when I'm mid corner or just before so I'm not accelerating, and then I seem to be ok, but if it's when I'm on the throttle oi obviously have problems. Thing is, I don't know for sure if that's always linked or not. I'm too frustrated to keep playing tonight and away all week, but I will try and get something up next weekend!

HEF51
17-05-2015, 20:16
Well there is something happening. Engine failures are always tied to overrevving or overheating the engine. Like I said before, a video will help us narrow down your issue.

nissan4ever
17-05-2015, 20:22
That is weird. I haven't blown mine at all. Your up shifting appears to be fine according to your description. Are you downshifting really fast? That might be the reason, over taching the engine downshifting. You said sometimes the game randomly will downshift to first. What are you using? Controller or wheel?

LukasHabberto
17-05-2015, 20:26
No, keeping the downshifts really gentle. I'm on the controller.

Robhd
17-05-2015, 20:43
I have been blowing engines even when i switch from manual to an auto box which seems a bit daft at best... Just another bug on the list i presume?

nissan4ever
17-05-2015, 20:46
No, keeping the downshifts really gentle. I'm on the controller.

I guess it's a bug. I hate that you're experiencing it.

HEF51
17-05-2015, 20:48
Like I said, maybe a video would help us identify the issue.

^^^

LukasHabberto
17-05-2015, 21:50
I guess it's a bug. I hate that you're experiencing it.

Thanks, me too!

Initia1 B
18-05-2015, 18:31
Dropping from 5th to 1st at random sure as shizzle aint gonna do the engine no good mate, have you tried deleting and reinstalling the game? Not ideal but it may be worth starting over so as to lose any possible corrupted data. Bare in mind tho that im no tech wiz and might be talking total boll..........hopefully someone who knows better might coroborate

smokinmasta
18-05-2015, 18:50
Long time no see Lukas!! That sure is a strange one. Only time ive seen that was when i took liberties with radiator opening, gear changes and brake mapping and certainly not on a Clio!

LukasHabberto
23-05-2015, 07:54
Hi Smokin!

Dropping from 5th to 1st at random sure as shizzle aint gonna do the engine no good mate, have you tried deleting and reinstalling the game? Not ideal but it may be worth starting over so as to lose any possible corrupted data. Bare in mind tho that im no tech wiz and might be talking total boll..........hopefully someone who knows better might coroborate

Yeah, I tried reinstalling and it's not made a difference. I'll try and grab video of the problem happening with and without damage turned on.

Murray943
23-05-2015, 19:23
Ive got the same problem in the RWD P1 car in which to avoid this problem I've tried everything from open radiator to reducing waste gate pressure, still comes up with mechanical fault, so I lift off, to engine blown a few seconds later. It has to be a bug.
Once it did it to me on the last corner of a 30 min endurance race, i didn't even make it around the corner.

vglnte102
23-05-2015, 21:49
Maybe the engines are being made by GM. :D

gds1972
23-05-2015, 22:04
Does the game also include random engine/gearbox failures as you find all motorsports suffer.
If so could it be this that's happening but the game is not balanced and you keep getting caught by the issue.

Also please bear in mind that if you are in close quarter races and sitting behind other this can also rob your radiator of airflow causing an overheat.

Lukeymonster
24-05-2015, 16:21
Maybe the engines are being made by GM. :D

Or Renault...

LukasHabberto
26-05-2015, 12:02
Ok, here are the links to vids I have uploaded. No idea why there is no sound. Upload Studio doesn't work. I'm starting to hate my new Xbox One...

Cockpit cam, so you can see my shift lights.

First of all, an example of it dropping into first with damage turned off - running to Graham Hill bend on lap 2. This is messier than I would normally drive, but if damage is off... Ha ha:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuRtzMxy69Q

And this is 4 laps into a much cleaner race. Damage is on and you can clearly see it jumping into first before the engine goes pop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUQN9RQrsfw

Bizarrely, the engine goes in the same place on both vids, but that is a pure fluke!

gds1972
26-05-2015, 12:22
Have you tried changing the mapping of the gearshift to another button to see if you still get the same outcome.

LukasHabberto
26-05-2015, 12:25
Have you tried changing the mapping of the gearshit to another button to see if you still get the same outcome.

Hadn't even occurred to me. I'll give it a go!

No One
26-05-2015, 14:29
try a different controller if you have one or just try updating your controller. it may be a bad controller and nothing to do with the game.

Jeyrod
26-05-2015, 19:06
That's really weird. I watched both videos and didn't see anything. Maybe you have first gear mapped to something?!

LukasHabberto
27-05-2015, 11:04
That's really weird. I watched both videos and didn't see anything. Maybe you have first gear mapped to something?!

It's completely at random!

MULTIVITZ
27-05-2015, 11:16
I thought the clio was bomb proof, I feel sorry for what mine has to go through in the game! Strange indeed, are your tyres pumped up enough?

kelvyn
27-05-2015, 11:48
Engines do blow in real life & championships are won & lost because of this :apologetic:

Sonic6L
27-05-2015, 11:49
Engines do blow in real life & championships are won & lost because of this :apologetic:

Really?! That's news to me...

kelvyn
27-05-2015, 11:52
Really?! That's news to me...

Of course. In all types of racing you get mechanical failures, its all part of racing.
Where this is a bug in the game I dont know but unfortunatly shit happens & as said real life championships are won & lost through no fault of the driver, they get let down by their car :(

Sonic6L
27-05-2015, 11:55
Of course. In all types of racing you get mechanical failures, its all part of racing.
Where this is a bug in the game I dont know but unfortunatly shit happens & as said real life championships are won & lost through no fault of the driver, they get let down by their car :(

I was being sarcastic lol. I feel like the engine blows are TOO common at the moment in this game. 6 races in a row with the 125cc Karts, engine blown. No damage, no over revs, no going off track, still blow up.

kelvyn
27-05-2015, 12:02
I was being sarcastic lol. I feel like the engine blows are TOO common at the moment in this game. 6 races in a row with the 125cc Karts, engine blown. No damage, no over revs, no going off track, still blow up.

O right ok

Charles Gillen
27-05-2015, 12:57
You have a bad controller. I bought a spare from Game Stop and the kid sold me a refurbished controller. Completely useless for this game. The X Y A B buttons tend to stick at completely random times. I'm using it right now to type this and have double tapped letters several times. Loooks likkke tthis.

Downshifts two or three gears going into turns, locks the rear tires causing the car to slide. Of course I cant catch it because the steering is way too short and reacts too quickly causing a tank slapper, resulting in a crash shortly afterwards. Not many blown engines for me and I run with mech failures and full damage. Lots of crashes though.

Long story short, try a different controller.

Charles

Sonic6L
27-05-2015, 13:00
You have a bad controller. I bought a spare from Game Stop and the kid sold me a refurbished controller. Completely useless for this game. The X Y A B buttons tend to stick at completely random times. I'm using it right now to type this and have double tapped letters several times. Loooks likkke tthis.

My controller is fine, thanks. Nothing at all wrong with it if your reply was to me. The only engines that I seem to blow for me are 125cc Karts. I've tried to blow up the Clio Cup and LMP1 engines to no avail. I drive the BMW 320 Turbo Group A Car on the limit and I haven't blown a single engine.

Charles Gillen
27-05-2015, 13:04
I was actually replying to Lukas and his original post. Glad your controller is working well for you though.

Sonic6L
27-05-2015, 13:07
I was actually replying to Lukas and his original post. Glad your controller is working well for you though.

Hence I stated "If your reply was to me" ;) but thanks for your concern.

Jeyrod
27-05-2015, 19:43
I had it just happen to me. Engine blew out of no where. I think for me though it was a random occurrence

Ez Robson
31-05-2015, 13:45
i had this all through my first and second season of the endurance class in LMP2 i wasn't even over revving the engine or anything i'd just be on a straight and the no power :P