PDA

View Full Version : Rules & Flags

Rug22
17-05-2015, 21:45
How come it's on or off and nothing in between, or have I missed something?

I had to turn them off due to the ridiculous slow down penalties being given out, but then no blue flag are shown to lapped cars.

Hopefully that's being looked at and fix, Codemasters allowed a reduced Rules option which out in flags but removed silly Rules which didn't work for online racing

Pink_650S
17-05-2015, 22:01
Because GRID wasnt trying to be authentic in the first place.
When you think about it though, the blue flags in Project Cars are kind of useless at the moment anyway.

MrStef85
18-05-2015, 00:20
How come it's on or off and nothing in between, or have I missed something?

I had to turn them off due to the ridiculous slow down penalties being given out, but then no blue flag are shown to lapped cars.

Hopefully that's being looked at and fix, Codemasters allowed a reduced Rules option which out in flags but removed silly Rules which didn't work for online racing

Totally agree!

Rug22
18-05-2015, 05:54
Because GRID wasnt trying to be authentic in the first place.
When you think about it though, the blue flags in Project Cars are kind of useless at the moment anyway.

I'm not sure why they are useless, as the game is aimed tobbe a sim then in real life then flags would be shown.

dwalldorf
18-05-2015, 07:21
What problems do you have with slow down penalties? Usually you won't get a penalty unless you do something wrong. Or do you experience a bug in context of penalties?

Rug22
18-05-2015, 07:26
The problem is they are overly aggressive at times, people are getting ting slow downs after making a pitstop and others are getting massive slow down for a corner cut. Yes it's a corner cut but 100s slow down is a touch harsh :p

Personally i've only had it once, I out braked myself at the Spa bus stop chicane which took me well into the run off area, by the time I'd stopped I was almost at the wall and eased myself back on track.

All of this cost me far more on track time than I gained, yet I was given a slow down penalty for cutting the track, It appears at times the game can't or doesn't know the difference between cutting for an advantage and mistakes which actually cost you lap time.

deedub777
18-05-2015, 07:33
There is one bug with penalties I've found...
At Monaco, when you leave the pits, if you follow the pit lane exit you get a penalty! If you exit the pits and go straight back out on the racing line and drive to the left of the pit lane (yellow line) you do not.
That's not quite right!
I also found it almost impossible to drive a lap of Monaco without exceeding track limits, would be good to try and understand where I'm failing here.

dwalldorf
18-05-2015, 07:35
Ah I see. So far, I got a few slow down penalties as well but they have always been when I accidentally cut a corner too much or so. Always felt it was justified.

Getting off track, loosing time anyway and still being "rewarded" with a penalty sounds like there should be improvements made.

olliefroomes
18-05-2015, 07:58
I've found that I get blue flagged when overtaking cars in qualifying.... doesn't seem to have a specific car or track, but was much more frequent in the karts than in proper racing cars

MrStef85
18-05-2015, 11:20
I've found that I get blue flagged when overtaking cars in qualifying.... doesn't seem to have a specific car or track, but was much more frequent in the karts than in proper racing cars

Yeah..especially with the in-lap.

middle finger
18-05-2015, 12:18
What about rear smashers? There should be penalty for hitting opponent from behind. Online races are ruined by people smashing from behind forcing them off track.

MrStef85
18-05-2015, 12:20
What about rear smashers? There should be penalty for hitting opponent from behind. Online races are ruined by people smashing from behind forcing them off track.

How you wanna do this with a little bump or scratch?

middle finger
18-05-2015, 12:25
I'm sure there's possibility to measure force of the hit.

dwalldorf
18-05-2015, 13:28
I'm sure there's possibility to measure force of the hit.

Of course there is. Otherwise the physical behaviour couldn't be calculated.

But you also need to know that hitting a car in the back, doesn't necessarily mean it's your fault. The car could have spinned right in front of you. It might have gotten off track and just hopping back on track without watching out four folks coming in from behind. It also might just be standing still behind a corner.

There are many situations where you might slam into the rear end of another car, without it being your fault. As a software developer myself, that is what I imagine more difficult to determine.

VBR
18-05-2015, 14:17
There are no automatic slow down penalties in "Real Life™", so there shouldn't be any in a simulation of "Real Life™". If a game dev wants to include them for the acracde crowd, then at the very least we sim racers should have the option to turn them off. Very disappointed indeed that they're in Project CARS.

:(

FoxMulder
18-05-2015, 16:40
Of course there is. Otherwise the physical behaviour couldn't be calculated.

But you also need to know that hitting a car in the back, doesn't necessarily mean it's your fault. The car could have spinned right in front of you. It might have gotten off track and just hopping back on track without watching out four folks coming in from behind. It also might just be standing still behind a corner.

There are many situations where you might slam into the rear end of another car, without it being your fault. As a software developer myself, that is what I imagine more difficult to determine.

This is a good example and explanation why most of the stuff that people think are brilliant suggestions simply aren't practicable.

dwalldorf
18-05-2015, 17:28
This is a good example and explanation why most of the stuff that people think are brilliant suggestions simply aren't practicable.

Sounds easy because a human watching it, could easily tell who's fault it was, maybe event without knowing the actual rules. You can see it.
Until you start to think what exact (measurable!) parameters make you decide on who's fault it was.

skells22
18-05-2015, 17:43
when i do fast laps no need to show me the blue flag during qualfying until i on my in lap

MULTIVITZ
19-05-2015, 10:51
The problem is they are overly aggressive at times, people are getting ting slow downs after making a pitstop and others are getting massive slow down for a corner cut. Yes it's a corner cut but 100s slow down is a touch harsh :p

Personally i've only had it once, I out braked myself at the Spa bus stop chicane which took me well into the run off area, by the time I'd stopped I was almost at the wall and eased myself back on track.

All of this cost me far more on track time than I gained, yet I was given a slow down penalty for cutting the track, It appears at times the game can't or doesn't know the difference between cutting for an advantage and mistakes which actually cost you lap time.

Yeah its like real life, you get people who have to follow things that they are told even if it means killing people or poisoning everyone they meet with drugs, only difference is this is poor unintelligent programming.

MULTIVITZ
19-05-2015, 10:54
PENALTIES NEED TO BE IN GAME ADJUSTABLE, IF THE GAME MAKERS CAN'T DO IT RIGHT!

dwalldorf
20-05-2015, 08:32
PENALTIES NEED TO BE IN GAME ADJUSTABLE, IF THE GAME MAKERS CAN'T DO IT RIGHT!

YOU CAN TURN THEM OFF. THERE EVEN IS A KEY ON YOUR KEYBOARD TO DISABLE CAPS LOCK!!!! AWESEOME!!!

deedub777
20-05-2015, 08:44
YOU CAN TURN THEM OFF. THERE EVEN IS A KEY ON YOUR KEYBOARD TO DISABLE CAPS LOCK!!!! AWESEOME!!!
I think the point was to have the ability to have control over each type and maybe even severity rather than all or nothing.
for example:
False start (on/off)
Collisions (all/some/none)
Track limits (all/some/none)
etc...

dwalldorf
20-05-2015, 08:58
I think the point was to have the ability to have control over each type and maybe even severity rather than all or nothing.
for example:
False start (on/off)
Collisions (all/some/none)
Track limits (all/some/none)
etc...

That's like enabling collision damage for just the back of the car because you keep crashing the front. This is supposed to be a sim. You have the option to go without penalties if you want to. It would be an absolute mess if you'd be able to configure every flag and every penalty. How do I know what flags and penalties are activated before joining an online race? Maybe I don't want to race against people without penalties.

People just keep complaining about everything. You have a shitload of options for the FFB - people cry because it's too complex (which I understand). It would be the same if you had 10 options for penalties and flags. You have to make compromises. Things will get fixed and become better. People just need to calm down a little.

deedub777
20-05-2015, 15:03
That's like enabling collision damage for just the back of the car because you keep crashing the front. This is supposed to be a sim. You have the option to go without penalties if you want to. It would be an absolute mess if you'd be able to configure every flag and every penalty. How do I know what flags and penalties are activated before joining an online race? Maybe I don't want to race against people without penalties.

People just keep complaining about everything. You have a shitload of options for the FFB - people cry because it's too complex (which I understand). It would be the same if you had 10 options for penalties and flags. You have to make compromises. Things will get fixed and become better. People just need to calm down a little.
No it's not...
Just trying to offer possible options...
I'm not complaining, I love options...
I am and always will be calm...

dwalldorf
20-05-2015, 16:10
Didn't mean to offend you. Just wanted to say that these possible solutions would probably come with negative consequences as well. You can do anything with software but it comes with a price..

flatspunout
20-05-2015, 17:07
The ability to turn off all penalties except jump starts would be nice for league racing as most have some sort of stewards panel that review on-track incidents and award penalties post-race.

deedub777
21-05-2015, 07:30
Didn't mean to offend you. Just wanted to say that these possible solutions would probably come with negative consequences as well. You can do anything with software but it comes with a price..
none taken and I agree completely

DaveDewhurst
23-05-2015, 09:07
Not quite sure of the real life rules but this cant be right, Its not going to be a common occurrence but if flags do get looked at....

If you have been lapped (I had a bad race :)) when you cross the line to do your final lap, all the other cars have finished but you are still being told to move out of the way to let them past.

Dave

Rug22
23-05-2015, 15:26
Can I ask if this query is or has been discussed by the Devs?

I don't mind having to turn of penalties as I've had to play reduced Rules on the F1 games for years, but not having flags does cause some problems in online lobbies, especially those that are setup privately to run league's or friendly races.

rocafella1978
23-05-2015, 16:49
while we are at RULES, shouldn't the back markers/ lapped drivers, move OUT OF THE WAY when being lapped? not only for me as a player, but noticed this watching long races in spectator too. i think back markers should not aggressively try to block player or other AI from overlapping. or is this only me thinking this way????:confused:

dwalldorf
23-05-2015, 19:23
while we are at RULES, shouldn't the back markers/ lapped drivers, move OUT OF THE WAY when being lapped? not only for me as a player, but noticed this watching long races in spectator too. i think back markers should not aggressively try to block player or other AI from overlapping. or is this only me thinking this way????:confused:

I think there is no big problem with letting someone overlap you since it's not fight for a position in the race. And I think that they let pass irl. Saw this a few times when watching 24h races. You won't ruin your lap time or get out of the way in sharp turns but if you're on a straight, let pass on don't fight.

rocafella1978
23-05-2015, 19:34
i have not seen any races where back markers/ lapped drivers block or drive aggressively when faster cars are approaching or coming to overlap. but i noticed this behaviors on PCars overlapped cars.

AB_Attack
25-05-2015, 08:38
AI cars aren't getting blue-flagged at all. Or if they are notified, they don't care at all. It's not a huge problem, but still.

Also, in pole position in a rolling start I get overtaken by P2 ai car even before the turn leading to starting straight. Blatant rule-breaking. This is a bigger problem.

Edit: on PC although this is a PS4 thread.

mister dog
25-05-2015, 15:23
Regarding flags, already love that the marshalls around the track seem to be moving and alive, instead of the cardboard cutouts seen in most racing games. Any chance of them actually waving flags instead of just talking on their mobile phones?

Would be a nice touch although i don't know if it would be difficult to implement.http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_6666.gif