PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain "Pit Stops" to me?

gbm
17-05-2015, 22:01
Hi all,

I'm new to racing games, (besides Driveclub) but I'd like to take a realistic approach to playing this. Having said that, I am clueless when it comes to pit stops, and when to do them, and furthermore, WHAT to do when I do pull in.

Can someone provide a brief tutorial on all things pit stop for me? Perhaps illustrating the set up before the race, to when to do it, etc etc?

I'd be most appreciative.

Ambro789
17-05-2015, 23:39
I may get killed saying this, but I do not think pit stops are even used; yet. I have yet to see a purpose for them. Maybe when I progress further, but for now, no reason for pits at all.

gbm
17-05-2015, 23:44
I may get killed saying this, but I do not think pit stops are even used; yet. I have yet to see a purpose for them. Maybe when I progress further, but for now, no reason for pits at all.

:culpability:

Francorchamps
18-05-2015, 00:30
Hi all,

I'm new to racing games, (besides Driveclub) but I'd like to take a realistic approach to playing this. Having said that, I am clueless when it comes to pit stops, and when to do them, and furthermore, WHAT to do when I do pull in.

Can someone provide a brief tutorial on all things pit stop for me? Perhaps illustrating the set up before the race, to when to do it, etc etc?

I'd be most appreciative.

Pitstops are used to fix and fuel your car. If you damage your car it can be fixed during a pitstop or if you have worn tyres you can replace them by new ones, also you can fuel your car depending on what sort of class your driving in. Sometimes pitstops are mandatory to switch tyres like in Formula A.

You just have to drive in to the pitlane and then choose which pit strategy you have set up before you started the race.

LordDRIFT
18-05-2015, 00:36
Some races require that you pit once during the race for mandatory tire changes. Depends on the race rules. Then obviously there is endurance racing when you will need to pit for tires, fuel , damage etc.

Alan Dallas
18-05-2015, 01:01
As already noted they are needed for Tire Changes, Fueling, and Damage Repairs. However an additional note as to WHEN. In the Career mode most of the lower tier races are setup to not need a pitstop as they will generally only last as long as you have fuel, even at 100% race length. Presuming the weather doesn't change so you need to swap on some Wet tires. Once you get into the Endurance races Pit Stop strategy comes into play big time. There's really no one formula that fits all in Pit strategy in Endurance racing. It's usually always played out real time depending on track position and weather conditions. Your Pit radio guy will let you know if you've spent too much time on a given set of tires and usually your lap times will start to suffer as the tires get severely worn(assuming you have Tire wear set to Real). Fuel consumption when set to real in endurance racing you need to be mindful of also.

gbm
18-05-2015, 01:08
Thanks for the info.

Odd however, in some races, the Scheduled Pit signal pops up within 30 seconds of the race.

LordDRIFT
18-05-2015, 01:26
That may be you accidentally requesting to pit.

Alan Dallas
18-05-2015, 01:34
That may be you accidentally requesting to pit.

If that was the case then the Pit Board would display "Unscheduled". :)

LordDRIFT
18-05-2015, 01:41
If that was the case then the Pit Board would display "Unscheduled". :)

I know . I'm making the assumption anyway because I can't think of ops claim being valid otherwise. Unless this is a new bug.

Alan Dallas
18-05-2015, 01:49
Could be a random bug. But they didn't specify how long the race was. If it's a race with a Mandatory stop and the race is real short it could be your Pit Crew wanting to get the stop out of the way early. Just guessing there.

RobMUFC1987
18-05-2015, 04:03
I think it's a pit strategy bug. I set up and saved a strategy for an endurance race but I didn't delete it afterwards. I went online and got the pit scheduled board straight away every race. It went away when I deleted my saved one and went to default

WhiteNinja636
18-05-2015, 04:38
I get the pit board straight away if I start the race with not enough fuel to last the race distance.

Tourgott
18-05-2015, 04:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgY6WiHce8w

;)

doyley101
18-05-2015, 07:20
My question about the pit stops is why can we pick any tyre in the stop. If you're doing Ginetta Juniors for example, you can select anything from softs to extreme wets, even though the series only uses slicks and wets. Its also annoying that the tyre pressures change, so you have no idea how much grip you're going to have

Petchyboy
18-05-2015, 08:02
When setting up a race weekend how can I tell if a stop is mandatory? eg. I set up a 15 lap race at Bathurst in the Focus RS with 30 AI, they all pitted with 2 laps to go when my fuel and tires were fine till the end of the race and my engineer asked me to pit. I chose to pit to make it fair, but it wasn't needed.

PeteUplink
18-05-2015, 08:36
I've only seen pitstops used when I've been playing a long endurance race, or in short races when it's rained.

For an LMP race I usually brim the tank and tackle the race in 45 minute stints. Tyre choice is usually dependent upon conditions.

RobMUFC1987
18-05-2015, 08:39
I've only seen pitstops used when I've been playing a long endurance race, or in short races when it's rained.

How did the long endurance go? Because I did a 3 Hour Invitational but lowered it to 30 minutes. There was no need to pit but the AI pitted half way through so I lapped half the field