PDA

View Full Version : Auto trans vs Manual

ROTTEN
18-05-2015, 00:25
Good day peeps. It's been a while since I've played any racing games and I must say I am impressed with PCars. I'm using the DS4 controller with auto shifting on PS4 and one thing I've been wondering about is the performance difference between auto and manual shifting. Will manual shifting offer better results?? Are there people high up on the leader boards using auto? I've practiced a few times with manual and had decent results on tracks with few turns, but tracks with a lot of turns 30 + are a nightmare ...... and when I get smashed into online ...... man, forget about it. Manual kills me online.

Sorry for the noobish question, I'm sure this has been asked 1000 times. I just want to improve my times as much as possible, but if manual isn't worth the headache "on controllers" I'll stick with auto. Thanks

cossie29
18-05-2015, 01:25
Hi ROTTEN, I personally prefer manual as i feel i am in more control of my car and i feel i get a quicker lap time, as you dictate which gear you exit a corner in etc, downside is too many overrevved downshifts and your engine may blow.
upto you but i would say practice offline with a manual, once you have the hang of it you wont go back.

DayGlow
18-05-2015, 01:52
Once you're familiar with the track manual is an advantage because you can anticipate changes based on conditions and traffic. You can downshift early as you know you'll need power coming out of a corner or other situation.

Failrunner
18-05-2015, 02:43
I use auto because i'm lazy.

Advent
18-05-2015, 02:59
To be honest I've never attempted manual because I am too "scared" to learn it. I'm pretty complacent with driving and racing in auto!

nhitrac
18-05-2015, 03:19
To be honest I've never attempted manual because I am too "scared" to learn it. I'm pretty complacent with driving and racing in auto!

Give it a go and you'll never look back. I learnt how to 'drive' a manual in games before I did in real life haha.

Essobie
18-05-2015, 03:33
I haven't bothered to see a difference between auto and manual transmission since I'm fairly certain I'm always going to shift better than an auto-transmission.

However, I do think there is an advantage using an H-shifter versus using a sequential/paddle shifter setup, at least when using auto-clutch set to Yes. I say this because if you use auto-clutch and just throw the H-shifter into whatever gear you want, it shifts drastically faster than shifting with a sequential (game lets you get back on the throttle noticeably faster). I can imagine this being one of two things: either it's a bug and sequential shifting should be just as quick as H-shifting or it is specifically designed to benefit folks that use a slightly more complex shifting system.

Frankly I don't think the tiny differences in shifting speed would make a huge difference in my personal times, but I bet at higher skill levels this might be significant.

RobMUFC1987
18-05-2015, 03:33
Manual gives you more car control and better braking if you downshift correctly. It also helps with being more consistent

TenthDan
18-05-2015, 03:40
Auto will in the end be slower because the game allocates a realistic 'average' time delay between gear shifts. While manual also does (it'll slip to neutral if you try to be too quick) you will be quicker than manual with ideal technique. Also, as in the real world if you match revs well you can shift without the clutch, giving another very slight benefit.

MDH PYRO
18-05-2015, 07:26
I myself have not gone manual on PCars until I get my wheel on weds...I will say however that I used auto all the time in Forza 5 until one day I spend a few hours on manual......I never looked back and I expect the same with PCars.....Not only did manual give me more control on the exit of corners it also helped my lap times improve by 2-3 seconds.....I am hoping PCars will be same but I suspect the learning curve is a lot harder than it was in Forza

Doogerie
18-05-2015, 07:31
I think it depends on what you are driving for example if you are racing carts (that feel just like the real thing) then go for auto tans action as cart's do not have gears in real life where as if you are during a touring car or one of the higher formulas like gp 2 or 1 then go for manual as that's how people do it in real life.

PeteUplink
18-05-2015, 07:59
I use auto when I drive with my controller, but manual with a wheel. I learned to drive manual on Geoff Crammond's Formula 1 Grand Prix back in 1993, and it is my preferred method of driving, but I can't do it comfortably with a controller.

o Mike V o
18-05-2015, 08:22
Manual everywhere.

Olijke Poffer
18-05-2015, 08:30
Manual is much more enjoyable than automatic. Give it a try and you probably will enjoy race games much more. At least I do. ;)

RobMUFC1987
18-05-2015, 08:34
Manual is much more enjoyable than automatic. Give it a try and you probably will enjoy race games much more. At least I do. ;)

I started using Manual in Gran Turismo 5. I've no idea how I had survived racing games on Auto since I started playing in the early 90s when I was about 5 lol

MrStef85
18-05-2015, 08:37
Good day peeps. It's been a while since I've played any racing games and I must say I am impressed with PCars. I'm using the DS4 controller with auto shifting on PS4 and one thing I've been wondering about is the performance difference between auto and manual shifting. Will manual shifting offer better results?? Are there people high up on the leader boards using auto? I've practiced a few times with manual and had decent results on tracks with few turns, but tracks with a lot of turns 30 + are a nightmare ...... and when I get smashed into online ...... man, forget about it. Manual kills me online.

Sorry for the noobish question, I'm sure this has been asked 1000 times. I just want to improve my times as much as possible, but if manual isn't worth the headache "on controllers" I'll stick with auto. Thanks

Manual is faster...

AVK
18-05-2015, 09:00
I can't figure out how to do a standing start properly on manual.
"1st gear - revs up - dump the clutch when it's green" works fine on some tracks.
But there is a slope on the starting grid on the others. So you just roll forwards and get a jump start penalty.
What do you do? Hold a handbrake? Or try to press brake and clutch pedals at the same time?

RobMUFC1987
18-05-2015, 09:04
On a pad, I just hold the brake while in Neutral, change to 1st then release the brake

ROTTEN
18-05-2015, 14:39
Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and learn manual.

legendm0de
18-05-2015, 16:05
Most of the cars in the game, have automatic shifting meaning shifting doesn't require a use of the clutch. Just a flick up or down gear, it's easy as pie. The car will require the clutch to start moving though, and stop without stalling.

I've only driven 4 cars so far, only 2 of them extensively. The BAC and Ford Focus. The Ford Focus I choose driving in manual, but it makes plenty of sense if you desire driving in auto. In fact I might give that a try right now. But I must say driving in a traditional manual gear box on a racetrack was just as thrilling as I imagined it would be. Auto should be interesting to note the differences in the experience.

ROTTEN
18-05-2015, 16:51
Auto should be interesting to note the differences in the experience.

Let me know how you find the difference between the two.

RobMUFC1987
18-05-2015, 16:57
Let me know how you find the difference between the two.

I tried a few days ago at Monza. I was about 1.5 seconds a lap slower. I thought it would be less at Monza to be honest, it's hard to lose time. But the problems arose at both Lesmos, Ascari and Parabolica. The car refused to shift down to 3rd untill I started accelerating

cloakdeath
19-05-2015, 02:07
Unless it's a wet track or a mental car with no traction control, automatic is faster in this game for various reasons.

o Mike V o
19-05-2015, 02:15
automatic is faster in this game for various reasons.

It really isn't.

knotme
19-05-2015, 03:01
i like manual myself but only after i get used to the physics. no game is like real driving. manual can give you an edge though by stretching out the gear a bit or by using the gear to slow as opposed to tapping the brake. which theoretically can reduce lap times. kinda hard to stay in the power band with an auto tranny. :)

Bailey
19-05-2015, 04:01
Unless it's a wet track or a mental car with no traction control, automatic is faster in this game for various reasons.

What reasons are those?
~Bailey

Rockstar Matt
19-05-2015, 08:32
Auto will in the end be slower because the game allocates a realistic 'average' time delay between gear shifts. While manual also does (it'll slip to neutral if you try to be too quick) you will be quicker than manual with ideal technique. Also, as in the real world if you match revs well you can shift without the clutch, giving another very slight benefit.

Jesus, you can match the revs in a video game..? This is insane, in a good way lol. The amount of realism in this game is fantastic.

RUSH3RCR
31-05-2015, 00:01
Would love to use manual but game won't downshift properly. It keep jumping gears like going from 5th gear all the way into 1st and locking up the rear end. If it is me please tell me what I am doing wrong. I am using auto clutch.

apexatspeed
31-05-2015, 00:06
Would love to use manual but game won't downshift properly. It keep jumping gears like going from 5th gear all the way into 1st and locking up the rear end. If it is me please tell me what I am doing wrong. I am using auto clutch.

No it isn't you. It is a glitch. It doesn't happen to me very often, but in can screw you in a tight race.

cerbrus2
31-05-2015, 00:08
I try to use what the real world cars have, if they have paddle shifts i use the paddles if they have a gear stick, with an H pattern i use the G27's shifter. I even heel and toe on downshifts when I'm using the H shifter, and too my surprise it works just how it should.

For me manual is the best, but those using a controller may fined manual gearing more of an issue. But if you are using auto gears with a wheel, then you are wasting potential immersion into the game.

danpinho
31-05-2015, 03:42
…automatic is faster in this game for various reasons.
I disagree. Autoshift is not faster in this game nor any good title out there. The last time I used automatic shift was in a 80's game called Enduro (Atari). Trust me, the most efficient way is manual. After all there is no automatic shift in real motorsports for a reason.

Doctor Doom
31-05-2015, 04:48
I have a G27 and use the paddle shift mostly. On slow cars that have manual, I use the manual transmission.

Gloomy
31-05-2015, 09:26
Right now I'm using auto with the ps4 controller. It's to uncomfortable for my hands to use manual, once my wheel is working right on the ps4 I'll go back to manual.

Grid and dirt were the first games I went to manual and I've been playing that way since. I don't mind using auto right now, I'm just having fun with it at the moment, I don't even want to try online until I can use my wheel and get comfortable again.

SpeedFreakDTM
31-05-2015, 11:33

Sorry, its just not faster in any way.

Auto gears change gear as soon as the rev gauge hits the red section. Not at the rev limiter.

The Merc 190E DTM, in AUTO, changes gear at 8500 rpm, I can change gear manually at 9500 rpm. A extra 1000 rpm of power in the same car, just using manual.

My girlfriend would like the auto box, to just use all of the revs, Can this be changed?

She doesn't see why she should have less revs over a manual driver, if it was a real car, it would have a sport button, or the ability to hold it in a particular gear. Its kinda another deterrent for non PRO people to stop playing this game. Im really trying to keep her interested.

She can have the exact same tune as me, but my car just leaves her on straights. Only difference is the gear selection method.

ROTTEN
31-05-2015, 13:17
After starting this thread 2 weeks ago I have successfully trained myself to drive using manual and will never go back to automatic. There is just no way in hell I could ever go back. Being able to control your speed/acceleration/cornering using manual trans takes the pants off auto.