PDA

View Full Version : racing line

Daffers
18-05-2015, 11:18
I think there should be online races where you are not allowed to use the racing line, i like it realistic and don't use it.
But online this means you have a disadvantage, maybe pro should be without the racing line, and amateur you can have the line on.

MrStef85
18-05-2015, 11:28
Does it matter? I've people wanna use it, it's fine to me.

Daffers
18-05-2015, 11:33
I am just saying it would be nice to have some lobbies where you are not allowed to use them.

RobMUFC1987
18-05-2015, 11:41
Trust me, if someone is using a line, you have the advantage, unless its dark

Sonny Crockett
18-05-2015, 13:04
I am just saying it would be nice to have some lobbies where you are not allowed to use them.

And why is that?

JeyD02
20-05-2015, 17:27
And why is that?

Perhaps he doesn't know the track well and since he's taking the big step to not use them he would feel unfair for those using and not him. :p

On the fly assumption.

Psebcool
20-05-2015, 17:57
Yes, the developers must to add an option to activate or disable the racing line in the lobby settings for all participants. Need it !

JeyD02
20-05-2015, 18:00
Yes, the developers must to add an option to activate or disable the racing line in the lobby settings for all participants. Need it !

Why? Why would you care if they use racing line or not :).?

Fearless1885
20-05-2015, 18:14
i didnt know there was an option to use racing lines... Would explain why everyone seems to be a pro at the track.

Im only good at Brandshatch because i drive it IRL lol

d4ninho
21-05-2015, 10:00
why do so many ppl only want driver to ru nthey wa ythey do, i suggest you set up your own lobbies and then it will be how you want it to be.

321Respawn
22-05-2015, 06:12
No racing line just means more crashes at the corners as if there arn't enough already,leave it on is far better .

LADY GEMMA JANE
22-05-2015, 06:40
I never use it, makes the game look unreal

FA RACING 01
23-05-2015, 07:34
I never use it, makes the game look unreal

Agreed, and its not close to spot on in most instances. As for the crashers, well, they don't brake anyway.

Arkymedes
23-05-2015, 07:41
I disagree with forcing this settings and any settings that change the user experience of the game like camera settings (who was the genious that thought about locking the freaking camera position???)

I have seen people leaving the lobbies due to this insane restrictions. The game should be fairly accommodating to all users, no matter their settings.

I already have to live with the majority of the lobbies that force manual transmission although I ABSOLUTELY HATE it. Now THAT should be removed!

falcon2081
23-05-2015, 20:12
I use the driving line sometimes in multiplayer. Personally I don't mind if someone uses it. When you get fast enough the driving line just becomes a hindrance anyways since the "line" will always tend to show red in corners and or braking when you really push the car and still make the corner perfectly. I wish you could take off the braking zones in the driving line so I don't have to see red all the time lol. Anyways I use the driving line to judge my opponents. It lets me see exactly how they are driving compared to the "ideal" line drawn on the track. It shows me where they are weakest at on the track and places where I can attack. Is it unfair? No doubt but its in the game so its fair game. I could still do it with the driving line set to off it just takes a lap or 2 more.

Driving line is also great to practice with against AI as they tend to follow the line pretty much perfectly. It gives you an opportunity to learn new ways of overtaking that you maybe thought weren't possible. It's a great tool to use along with the awesome telemetry programs supported by this game. People will always try and find a way to get the upper hand on the competition. It's just in our nature. Just know that someone super fast in this game who uses the driving line will pretty much be super fast without it. To them its just another extra tool they use to their advantage.

lordymatsuo
23-05-2015, 22:21
This is a tricky debate, we have some guys in our racing community who race with everything off and others who use an assist or 2 as they are still learning the game. People often ask me wen i host to turn everything off but the simple answer is, i want my lobbies to be accessible to all levels.

I do agree however that the option to turn the line off should be there the same as we can turn off all other types of assists. Its an option that should be there if hosts want to enforce it.

gp20
24-05-2015, 03:08
+10

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?27202-Green-Line

gp20
24-05-2015, 03:09
I disagree with forcing this settings and any settings that change the user experience of the game like camera settings (who was the genious that thought about locking the freaking camera position???)

I have seen people leaving the lobbies due to this insane restrictions. The game should be fairly accommodating to all users, no matter their settings.

I already have to live with the majority of the lobbies that force manual transmission although I ABSOLUTELY HATE it. Now THAT should be removed!
Mario Kart is for you.

chart_e
24-05-2015, 04:13

yeah, empty lobies

JessicaWalter
24-05-2015, 04:54
yeah, empty lobies

i haven't raced online yet but are you saying most people online use the racing line effect/overlay/whatever?

NVI0U5
24-05-2015, 05:17
I use it, I dont need it, I dont follow it, I use it for track marking, braking reference points, gearing reference points.

Arkymedes
24-05-2015, 08:11
Mario Kart is for you.

Although I love Mario Kart, your comment tells me more about the kind of games you enjoy than me.

You can agree with me or not, and that is fine, but no need to go down this path. You don't know me, I don't know you. It can get messy. Let's leave it at that :)

i haven't raced online yet but are you saying most people online use the racing line effect/overlay/whatever?

Yes they do, at least this is what I saw so far. Check online Youtube videos of people playing MP and/or Twitch.tv streams.

--

Again, I don't believe that enforcing global settings that don't have any influence in the way that the others play is a nice idea. There is no difference in a lobby if one wants racing line and the other does not. My racing line will be for me and me alone. The same with camera settings, assists and manual transmission.

Because generally, the people that are comfortable enough to turn down this assists are already much better at the game than the others. Having them causes divide in the community.

My opinion. Take it or leave it.

Motorhead Racer
24-05-2015, 12:17
You do not have any advantage with using the line, seriously, try using it. The braking points are WAY off, not to mention some of the mid corner speeds, plus if you have tyre wear, I dont think it take this into consideration either!

And I have to agree, usually its a case of someone wanting to drive THEIR way, in the hope they have an advantage over those who cannot run without some assists, also remember that sometimes using a controller makes a difference, not everyone uses a wheel....

Thales Baptista
25-05-2015, 03:26
Also helmet cam only servers.

JessicaWalter
25-05-2015, 03:37
enforcing settings (like view, assists, and transmission/clutch, etc) would ensure an equal playing field.

gp20
25-05-2015, 03:40
enforcing settings (like view, assists, and transmission/clutch, etc) would ensure an equal playing field.
Exactly.

falcon2081
25-05-2015, 07:07

Then you might as well ban setups too while you're at it and have everyone run default setup. Won't work.

gp20
25-05-2015, 07:36
Then you might as well ban setups too while you're at it and have everyone run default setup. Won't work.
AFAK you can set up your own session thus what's wrong?

If you are not happy with the rules, just leave and create your own setup with YOUR rules and be happy. ;)

falcon2081
25-05-2015, 19:45
AFAK you can set up your own session thus what's wrong?

If you are not happy with the rules, just leave and create your own setup with YOUR rules and be happy. ;)

I was commenting more on the fact about "equal playing field". Hence why I mentioned you might as well include a setting to ban custom setups. I'm all for giving the end user more options in MP. I have no qualms in leaving a lobby if I don't like the options or track and go find another.

gookiecrunch
26-05-2015, 05:37
I think the option either way is ideal. If I know a track I won't need it and yes I'll prob b a little faster than with it. But there are tracks I haven't heard of on here and don't know at all. And I'll prob wreck without it.
Only true way to learn a track is without it.. I end up looking at the line and break according to what the grip is.. But I never focus on the markings on the track.. so it ends up taking forever to really learn a track with it on.

But online in a room where they can randomly change tracks.. I might need it on so I don't miss a breaking point. and I hate wrecking cause of that. So it's a nice option for me.
Offline, career modes I think it should be off. Lol

Shnoo
26-05-2015, 07:00
Driving line slows you down a lot. And people who use it normaly need it too.
The driving line is not unfair in any bit it doesn't give you the perfect answer for every braking zone or cornor. And there isn't only THE driving line. Sometimes a car cant handel it and you have to take a different approach and sometimes a different line is faster by itself. The driving line is an indicator for players which doen't know the track nothing more.
If you are on the faster side of the drivers you can even see some guys using it by just following them. I was testing the LMP1s yesterday and damn did they stick to the line wich just slowed them down by a big margin. So who cares let them use it. It helps avoiding crashes after long straights too because many players are not able to judge the braking point by themself.

LADY GEMMA JANE
26-05-2015, 07:12
Racing line is unrealistic, watch motor racing on TV, do you see a green line around the track ? I dont

I never use it

Arkymedes
26-05-2015, 08:46
Racing line is unrealistic, watch motor racing on TV, do you see a green line around the track ? I dont

I never use it
Do you see pilots driving their cars with Xbox controllers? It's unrealistic.

I never use it

cloakdeath
27-05-2015, 00:46

I never use it

On the other hand. F1 drivers for example spend 10 hours in a simulator each day memorising the racing line so well that they could race while asleep. Expecting most people to remember the breaking points and racing lines on each track in the game seems optimistic. Cars bouncing off me in corners is what annoys me, not that someone may be getting an inefficient reminder on how to take a corner.

IndianCowboy
25-11-2015, 08:21
SMS hasn't resolved this dispute in regards to this thread topic. I hope they do so soon.

The host should have the ultimatum to decide whether to turn ON or OFF the racing line guide as there are those who want it, and purist racers like myself will keep it turned OFF in a race...ONLINE or SINGLE player i don't care...its OFF coz that's the right thing to do. Period. What I do is turn it ON when 'FREE PRACTISING' on new tracks. Some tracks are quite straight forward to master w/o the guide line (like MONZA IMO) but others are not as easy (like IMOLA or HOCKENIEM IMO). Once I have mastered the track layout section by section, lap after lap, I then turn it OFF n keep practicing a bit more to see how I do w/o the guide line. Upon mastering the track layout, the presence of the racing line guide doesn't serve any purpose to me at all from thence on, in fact it is now become a distraction coz instead of racing I end up focusing on that big green marker on the track and that is a big distraction to me. I don't need it anymore. I now know the track well from experience and rely on that only.

Actual racers in real life have the opportunity to walk/cycle on the track itself prior to driving on it. We can only rely on the racing guide line of which I'm very thankful it does exists in the game. Put away all that you think you know about cornering techniques. We gotta admit a lot of tracks are quite complicated to master w/o the guide. Being a purist, the racing guide line should be OFF when proper racing and the host should be able to disable this. I can go on and on about this, that racing with the guide line is just not genuine and realistic but some will still want to keep it ON in a race, so to be fair I hope SMS can consider this feature soon in the next patch, that is the host to turn it OFF or ON at will. I for one, will definitely turn it OFF. IMHO, there shouldn't even be an option to turn it ON in a race event. It should be OFF permanently. Period. I don't race if I do not know the track. I practice first on my own. That's the mentality we all should adopt to keep the game as real as possible.
"

IndianCowboy
25-11-2015, 08:36
Driving line slows you down a lot. And people who use it normaly need it too.
The driving line is not unfair in any bit it doesn't give you the perfect answer for every braking zone or cornor. And there isn't only THE driving line. Sometimes a car cant handel it and you have to take a different approach and sometimes a different line is faster by itself. The driving line is an indicator for players which doen't know the track nothing more.
If you are on the faster side of the drivers you can even see some guys using it by just following them. I was testing the LMP1s yesterday and damn did they stick to the line wich just slowed them down by a big margin. So who cares let them use it. It helps avoiding crashes after long straights too because many players are not able to judge the braking point by themself.

It helps quite a bit to those and myself too when learning a new track. Different cars will have different braking points and the guide serves as a 'GUIDE'. One can improvise on this to their own advantage as long as it reduces the lap times.

IndianCowboy
25-11-2015, 08:45
You're right about that. Honestly I got no issues about the view settings that others use in a race. It has no impact on my driving. But real driving aids should be enforced ( i would most definitely if I'm hosting) and choice of transmission should reflect the actual car. I have mentioned this quite extensively in most of my posts, and that is to keep the game as real as possible to the real thing.

wadafaka
05-02-2016, 17:42
but it DOES have an impact, especially at night... and why is everyone so much against the OPTION to force it off? How is that any different from people forcing the driving line off?