PDA

View Full Version : No Bonding with cars teams drivers, bit of a shallow experience.

wraithsrike
18-05-2015, 12:59
Guys I was racing last night, Start of a season and was having an epic battle with an AI called Alex, I thought to myself this is going to be my nemesis but on the next race he came in last? Ok it happens but there doesn't seem to be any consistency in the AI's, I like to name spot and work out who my challenges are going to be in the season but the AI seem really random, it's really hard to build up any sort of link to them at all.

Same goes for the cars, i can't see or choose my car when I sign up a contract I can't pick a team by the livery I like I cannot seem to form any bond at the moment, ok.It's most likely daft to most of you but it feels like something is missing, career mode for me is some what flat, yes the races are cool and I personally like the AI and the table's are great but is all feeling a bit shallow.

russ555
18-05-2015, 13:01
I agree, there should be more consistency and car livery customization.

wraithsrike
18-05-2015, 13:04
I agree, there should be more consistency and car livery customization.

Customization doesn't bother me, to be honest I wouldn't want another Forza, but I'd like to be able to choose my team by what cars are on offer at least.

poet
18-05-2015, 13:11
Guys I was racing last night, Start of a season and was having an epic battle with an AI called Alex, I thought to myself this is going to be my nemesis but on the next race he came in last? Ok it happens but there doesn't seem to be any consistency in the AI's, I like to name spot and work out who my challenges are going to be in the season but the AI seem really random, it's really hard to build up any sort of link to them at all.

Same goes for the cars, i can't see or choose my car when I sign up a contract I can't pick a team by the livery I like I cannot seem to form any bond at the moment, ok.It's most likely daft to most of you but it feels like something is missing, career mode for me is some what flat, yes the races are cool and I personally like the AI and the table's are great but is all feeling a bit shallow.

Professional race drivers never get to choose the liveries on their cars.
And I doubt any race driver ever signed a contract based "Oooh! I like the Pink one best!"

As for the AI, not sure if it's series specific, but when I did the Clio championship I had a nemesis AI who was more like my shadow he filled my rearview that much.

MrStef85
18-05-2015, 13:14
It doesn't bother me.

Machinist90
18-05-2015, 13:14
also the racers outfit/helmet change randomly,I agree professional drivers don't pick their liveries but at least their overalls match the livery

Daffers
18-05-2015, 13:15

Ai seems completely random, although i would like a dev to clear this issue up. Is it really programmed to be random, is it a bug? Will it be patched?

The livery thing i couldnt care less about. No race driver van pick his own

QuickShift
18-05-2015, 13:17
Agreed its pot luck on what car you get all the game tells you is that you will be driving a ford or a McLaren but you can’t see what it looks like, like when I started my formula rookie season I had a really ugly car and spent the season regretting making that choice. Think it should show you your car on the contract menu. A little disappointing to say the least

dwaynetheBLADE
18-05-2015, 13:17
Option to chose favourite cereal for your driver also, I agree the game is too impersonal.

danowat
18-05-2015, 13:19
On some invitationals you get to choose which car you want to drive.

MrStef85
18-05-2015, 13:20
Option to chose favourite cereal for your driver also, I agree the game is too impersonal.

:tears_of_joy:

QuickShift
18-05-2015, 13:21
also the racers outfit/helmet change randomly,I agree professional drivers don't pick their liveries but at least their overalls match the livery

I was think the same thing would be nice to at least change your helmet a bit like what Grand Turismo 5 done where you could choose your overalls and helmet would be a nice added touch

QuickShift
18-05-2015, 13:23

My driver would go for a Cheeky Nandos !!

wraithsrike
18-05-2015, 13:33
Ok guy's, was only saying.
Think a few of you are getting slightly anal about this.

This forum is fast becoming a place not to post on.

QuickShift
18-05-2015, 13:39
Ok guy's, was only saying.
Think a few of you are getting slightly anal about this.

This forum is fast becoming a place not to post on.

Hang on I was staying agree with you ?!

Niveous21
27-05-2015, 16:22
I would also like to see a preview of livery before I sign a contract. If the teams and cars are all the same, then it's the only real variable to choose a team by. Right now I'm choosing them based on which team has the cooler name, which is even more unrealistic than choosing by livery.

A suggestion I'd like considered is that you could choose a main sponsor when you start your career, and your cars will always have a livery based on that sponsor. Maybe it can change as you sign with new sponsors. It's not entirely unrealistic. Drivers can bring sponsors into a team. Maldonado always has PDVSA or whatever it is on his car; Danica Patrick always has Go Daddy, etc. That's a ton of liveries the art team would have to work on, but it's doable.

Francorchamps
27-05-2015, 16:49
That is the big problem with career. All AI are equal which is a bummer for a career mode. You will not have a nemesis, not a team mate to compete with and no consistent competition. This brakes the goal of a career mode for me.

KK78
27-05-2015, 17:15
It may be just luck but 3 times now while looking to accept a new contract in a different class I have gone to time trial to try out the cars. For example with the LMP3 I chose the Caterham SP300 (after having an offer from a team for that car) I picked the blue 'Gulf' colours and took it for a spin, liked it, so opted for that contract offer and hey presto that is the livery I ended up with! Have done it twice since with other offers and each time I end up with the livery that I tested in the time trial before accepting the contract.

As I say it might just be a fluke but worth trying if the livery is very important to you.

ibby
27-05-2015, 17:25
Pretty sure it's NOT random. Usually the top 3 AI with lots of points also runs in the top3 in the rest of the series for me.

Goggles Paisano
27-05-2015, 17:51
I don't care so much about liveries and race-suits. That stuff would be determined by the team. Helmet design would be nice, but I'm not too worried about it.

I do think that AI consistency should be examined. I'm most of the way through my first Formula Rookie season, and I thought I would check in on the Formula A situation. The guy that's in first place after six rounds has won two races and finished outside the points in the rest. That doesn't seem right to me.

bringmetheapex
27-05-2015, 18:18
I'm sure real racing drivers don't chose cars based on livery, but then again they also don't race sat in their house in front of a TV.... its a game and as such cool things like suggested by the OP should probably be in there. Its just a simple thing to see the car your choosing from.

One thing Codies get right is that feeling of immersion with your opposition and team mates.

Mad Al
27-05-2015, 18:20
I'm sure real racing drivers don't chose cars based on livery, but then again they also don't race sat in their house in front of a TV.... its a game and as such cool things like suggested by the OP should probably be in there. Its just a simple thing to see the car your choosing from.

One thing Codies get right is that feeling of immersion with your opposition and team mates.

Team mates.. they are enemy number one!

Neil Bateman
27-05-2015, 18:52
Its a racing sim, it simulates real life racing.

If it does not exist in real racing its not in the game, a team pays a driver to race for and represent them.

At all times when a driver is "at work" whether he is driving or on media duties he always wears team colours and sponsers, he drives the car he is given and wears the racing suit he is given, and he certainly would not turn down a career changing contract because he wanted go faster stripes and a nice flame effect livery. However I do agree on the helmet option as this is the drivers own choice.

My only issue here is yes please feel free to make suggestions on game features but not for fictional things that you would never see in real race series like F1 or BES or WEC, we are playing a real racing sim here focusing purely on racing, single or multiplayer or career, this is not a fantasy racing sim full of things people want to play around with in their game when they get board of actualy driving.

Sparky28
27-05-2015, 20:03
I really couldn't care less about livers but the op's title is kinda on the right track

I'd like to see more in depth team emails team mate battles etc

Machinist90
27-05-2015, 20:09

If it does not exist in real racing its not in the game, a team pays a driver to race for and represent them.

At all times when a driver is "at work" whether he is driving or on media duties he always wears team colours and sponsers, he drives the car he is given and wears the racing suit he is given, and he certainly would not turn down a career changing contract because he wanted go faster stripes and a nice flame effect livery. However I do agree on the helmet option as this is the drivers own choice.

My only issue here is yes please feel free to make suggestions on game features but not for fictional things that you would never see in real race series like F1 or BES or WEC, we are playing a real racing sim here focusing purely on racing, single or multiplayer or career, this is not a fantasy racing sim full of things people want to play around with in their game when they get board of actualy driving.

it's simulating the driving...not the whole careeer....so sorry if I want to simulate the driving in a car I actually like

k.merse
27-05-2015, 21:03
Too bad they did not pay a bit more attention to the career feature though. Simming is fine, but if it's combined with a more detailed SP career, it's even better.

bringmetheapex
28-05-2015, 07:16

OK i'll guess you play wearing a helmet....

Franco Ferrari
28-05-2015, 07:25
Ok guys, there's no denying going on here.
Some secondary part of the game are a bit rough and random, that's not a secret.
But that's because the majority of the time and resources (that were limited) were spent developing the physics engine, modelling and tweaking the cars and the tracks and perfecting the weather and other primary aspects of the game.

So, you're right in pointing out these things.
The Devs are going to take note of them and do the best they can to make them better.

mkstatto
28-05-2015, 07:36
Some secondary part of the game are a bit rough and random, that's not a secret.
But that's because the majority of the time and resources (that were limited) were spent developing the physics engine, modelling and tweaking the cars and the tracks and perfecting the weather and other primary aspects of the game.

The Devs are going to take note of them and do the best they can to make them better.

Maybe it would be worth having a seperate part of the forum for Career mode suggestions. Personally its all i'm interested in playing.

wraithsrike
28-05-2015, 07:50

Now that's a fair and honest answer, cheers bud.

Machinist90
28-05-2015, 08:27

superb,highly appreciated

Dresden
28-05-2015, 09:41
Strange that people here say, 'you cannot pick liveries because pro racers cannot.'

By why can I choose to race with outside camera, race assists on and auto gears??

Pro racers do not use any of them yet we can use them in the game. And the reason is obvious as we look around our room and the sun outside. So yes, we should have more options, like seeing the livery and having a choice. Wake up people!

And the AI system should involve a nemesis and a team partner that we can battle over the season! Make it challenging.

danowat
28-05-2015, 09:45
And the AI system should involve a nemesis and a team partner that we can battle over the season! Make it challenging.

Yes, an emergent AI system could add a lot to the career mode, a bit like Shadow of Mordor's nemesis system, however, it would take a lot of work, maybe for PCars 2?

bringmetheapex
28-05-2015, 10:33
Strange that people here say, 'you cannot pick liveries because pro racers cannot.'

By why can I choose to race with outside camera, race assists on and auto gears??

Pro racers do not use any of them yet we can use them in the game. And the reason is obvious as we look around our room and the sun outside. So yes, we should have more options, like seeing the livery and having a choice. Wake up people!

Spot on, the whole thing is pretending anyway so anything that helps that smoke and mirrors the better, i always thing any option in a game which someone can turn off or ignore if need be then thats all that matters.
For example if you could chose your livery then it does not mean you HAVE to, so why dose it affect the 'hardcore' so much if its in there??
I was never a fan of the Turn 10 'rewind' button or Codies 'flashback', but i for sure didn't cry that others might want it, what i did was this......didnt use it... if someone else wanted to use it somewhere in the world...why should i of cared?

(ok ok....i did use the codies flashbacks a few times...come on racing in a Marussia you had to sometimes)

Francorchamps
28-05-2015, 12:08
Why would a nemesis and team partner take much time to implement. Maybe at 100% it might. I you are on AI difficulty 80% Nemesis and team player should be on 85%. then there should be 7 AI drivers at 80% and the remaining AI should be at 75%. The "better" pilots should be chosen at the start of every season and should remain at this strength during the season

chig88
28-05-2015, 15:05

This badly needs fixing. The main reason the career mode feels so lifeless I reckon. Being able to comfortably win a championship just because the AI is so random leaves you with a bit of an empty feeling really. I've been spending most of my time in practice/time trial purely because career mode hasn't gripped me due to this. I love the game & can't wait to play it everyday, but my enjoyment would be doubled if you could have a proper season-long battle for a championship.

The odd driver moving up with you through the classes to build a proper rivalry would be nice as well.