PDA

View Full Version : I need some beginner advice again people :)

gbm
18-05-2015, 14:23
Hi,

Casual gamer here, who mostly plays against the AI just for fun.

Having said that, Driveclub was really my only other game reference to compare this to, and with that, I knew all about those cars since they are mostly "road" cars. (albeit, some really, really high end ones)

Anyway...

I could definitely use a little info on some of these "other" cars, and which I should be using, and for WHAT kinds of races/tracks.

I had a very knowledgeable friend over this weekend who helped me out bunches, but I'm still lost when it comes to all the different classes of Formula 1-like cars.

Mahjik
18-05-2015, 14:46
The good thing about pCARS, is that you can put any car on any track. ;)

As for the open wheelers, some basic info:

Formula Rookie - Entry level open wheeler which is similar to the real life Formula Ford. No aero, but very light with a relatively wide track which provides it's stability. To be fast, you need to slide the car in the corners.

Formula C - Next step in open wheelers. Similar to a Formula F3. It has lots of aero but it still slippery on corner exists. As with any car with aero, the faster you go, the more downfoce you have in the corners.

Formula B - Similar to a Superleague Formula car. Has push-to-pass type system.

Formula A - Similar to a 2010-2011 Formula F1 car. Has KERS and DRS.

gbm
18-05-2015, 14:50

Formula Rookie - Entry level open wheeler which is similar to the real life Formula Ford. No aero, but very light with a relatively wide track which provides it's stability. To be fast, you need to slide the car in the corners.

Formula C - Next step in open wheelers. Similar to a Formula F3. It has lots of aero but it still slippery on corner exists. As with any car with aero, the faster you go, the more downfoce you have in the corners.

Yes! THIS is the kind of stuff I need. Thank you.

...info on the other car classes is welcome too.

BlkBullitt
18-05-2015, 14:50

I just started my Formula Rookie season, so to understand correctly I WANT to basically drift the corners in this car?

ELAhrairah
18-05-2015, 14:54
yo listen man...

- first of all, start with the formula rookie...leave help settings on (traction control abs)

- Drive at small/short circuits. Makes you remember the corners better and learn to deal with the cars physics

- when you are lapping good times start turning help of. Start with switching ABS off then..traction control (more difficult) off..

- play as much as you can online...you will see what speed others are running, perhaps even meet people and share experiences and tips.

- start working your way up to other classes....

- make sure you use a good rig, wheel, controller or keyboard.

- focus on a few circuits in the beginning...

- come here more often, if you are using a wheel try to get the best ffb settings. Don't give up Pcars it is a demanding game to get the settings right..

- do not race with a 1200hp car on a short circuit or track like Zolder fe. :D ... it takes a lot of experience to keep the car on the track... stay realistic do not overestimate your talent...

Mahjik
18-05-2015, 14:54
I just started my Formula Rookie season, so to understand correctly I WANT to basically drift the corners in this car?

Yes. You want a little slide in this car. You don't want a full out drift as it will scrub too much speed, but this car has no power until the upper RPM's so you need to keep as much speed up in the corners as possible.

gbm
18-05-2015, 14:58
....do not race with a 1200hp car on a short circuit or track like Zolder fe. :D ... it takes a lot of experience to keep the car on the track... stay realistic do not overestimate your talent...

Well this is another issue...I don't really *know* tracks too well; so I find myself just randomly choosing them.

BlkBullitt
18-05-2015, 14:59
yo listen man...

- first of all, start with the formula rookie...leave help settings on (traction control abs)

- Drive at small/short circuits. Makes you remember the corners better and learn to deal with the cars physics

- when you are lapping good times start turning help of. Start with switching ABS off then..traction control (more difficult) off..

- play as much as you can online...you will see what speed others are running, perhaps even meet people and share experiences and tips.

- start working your way up to other classes....

- make sure you use a good rig, wheel, controller or keyboard.

- focus on a few circuits in the beginning...

- come here more often, if you are using a wheel try to get the best ffb settings. Don't give up Pcars it is a demanding game to get the settings right..

- do not race with a 1200hp car on a short circuit or track like Zolder fe. :D ... it takes a lot of experience to keep the car on the track... stay realistic do not overestimate your talent...Thanks, personally I won't start racing online with others until I have a better understanding of my cars with just using a PS4 controller. I don't want to be tagged as the guy that can't stop hitting people.

Yes. You want a little slide in this car. You don't want a full out drift as it will scrub too much speed, but this car has no power until the upper RPM's so you need to keep as much speed up in the corners as possible.Thank you. I'll have to focus on that more in my practice laps.

ELAhrairah
18-05-2015, 15:12
look at the length and amount of corners... if the length is long then it does not make sense (most of the time) to race them it in a formula rookie.

RobMUFC1987
18-05-2015, 15:21
No no no. You want to master the game? Drive the Lotus 49 around Nordschliefe until you master both. Get that sorted, everything else will be easy

ELAhrairah
18-05-2015, 15:40
No no no. You want to master the game? Drive the Lotus 49 around Nordschliefe until you master both. Get that sorted, everything else will be easy

Well of course! so how many times do you expect he has to go to the pits for repairs?

By the way I agree that it is a great way to play the game ;)

gbm
18-05-2015, 15:41

LOL

I drove that yesterday, it was nuts!

RobMUFC1987
18-05-2015, 15:43
Well of course! so how many times do you expect he has to go to the pits for repairs?

By the way I agree that it is a great way to play the game ;)

If he makes it past turn 3 without damage, I'll be impressed lol. Actually this makes me want to do it now

Invincible
18-05-2015, 15:45
One repair stop each lap... If you want to make things interesting, try a clean run in the Lotus 98T with 6 bar boost and 2 front 3 rear downforce on California Highway at 2 a.m. during a thunderstorm without driving aids in less than 7 minutes... if you master this, I will refer to you as King from now on.

RobMUFC1987
18-05-2015, 15:49
One repair stop each lap... If you want to make things interesting, try a clean run in the Lotus 98T with 6 bar boost and 2 front 3 rear downforce on California Highway at 2 a.m. during a thunderstorm without driving aids in less than 7 minutes... if you master this, I will refer to you as King from now on.

I'm a good driver but I can't drive anything on Cali Highway. For some reason, the "track" puts me into arcade mode. It helps that hitting barriers doesn't hinder you

Psychomatrix
18-05-2015, 15:52
Lotus 72D is challenging to. To be serious formula gulf and formula c are good cars to find a way in the game. Ginetta G 50 the GT5 Car is all very good to became familiar with the physics.

Invincible
18-05-2015, 15:53
Make it 7.30 - I've realised that the dry record is already slightly above 7 min. ;-)

@Psychomatrix - noch einer ausm Frankfurter Raum ^^

BlkBullitt
18-05-2015, 19:01
No no no. You want to master the game? Drive the Lotus 49 around Nordschliefe until you master both. Get that sorted, everything else will be easylol I'm going to try that and Stream it so you guys have something to laugh at.

ELAhrairah
18-05-2015, 21:59
lol I'm going to try that and Stream it so you guys have something to laugh at.

And to amaze yourself with a beautifull dusk, magic night and a spectaculair sunrise..try le mans 24hr in an lmp or gt and speed the time up to 30 x ...do about 18 -20 laps to complete the day and nigh cycle and be amazed by the most beautifull weather(okay only beaten by driveclubs rain effects then!) and sky physics I have ever seen in a racegame...do not forget to assign a Headlights switch on your wheel or controller so you can see where you are driving @ night..

GTracer1977
18-05-2015, 22:26
Hello fellow racers,

New to the forum and my question is off topic. I have trouble with certain tracks not running. On practice mode i selected Azure coast. First one on the list i think?
The car does not start in the pit the same as any other track i pick. It goes straight to track but will not move. Its possible to go into reverse and move the steering. No throttle/movement or rev. Anyone else have this problem? It has happened on a few tracks so wondered if there was something wrong with the game.

Joethe147
18-05-2015, 23:16

How about Formula Gulf? That's my favourite car at the moment. It has so much grip and is perhaps the easiest car to drive.

Mahjik
20-05-2015, 15:17
How about Formula Gulf? That's my favourite car at the moment. It has so much grip and is perhaps the easiest car to drive.

The Formula Gulf is a Formula 1000 car. The Gulf part is just a specific series and body work to make it more of a spec series, but it's a Formula 1000 car:

http://www.usf1000.com/

It requires using a clutch/re-matching on downshifting and lifting off the throttle when upshifting. It has a lot of aero for it's weight which gives it incredible grip in the corners. It doesn't have as much power as the Formula C or higher cars, but given it's low weight makes it feel so much faster when it's not really.