PDA

View Full Version : Gamepad Setup For a Stick Tapping Forza Vet?

SergioCosmopolis
18-05-2015, 18:07
I can't remember a game I've looked forward to as much or for as long as I had with Project Cars. Now that it's here I'm trying my hardest not to give up on it, because I also can't remember a game I've ever had so much trouble with getting the controls to feel right. I'm hoping someone reading this was in the same boat and figured it out and could help because I've looked at and tried a bunch of recommended setups and have yet to find one that works well for me.
I'm used to playing with short little taps to the sticks for small adjustments, then pushing the stick normally for turns. Maybe my years of playing Forza have me too used to one game, but there I'd play with no assists at all and was fairly competitive. Here I can barely complete a lap with everything turned on except steering and brake help. Those are next to be turned on if I can't find something that works though.

If how I steer sounds like how you steer and you've found a good setup, please let me know.
Thanks!

Titzon Toast
18-05-2015, 18:45
Hey man, I'm a Forza vet myself, my GT on Live is JOCKEYS I3OLLIX.
I found this game very tricky to play with a controller too.
Have a look in the thread I've linked for you here.
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21864-Dualshock-4-Controller-Settings-Problems-amp-Solutions

Prontopac
18-05-2015, 19:01
You might be missing the point of the game. Each car is different, each track is different, each player is different. It applies here and in real racing. The point of the game is to figure out what you can do (or need,) to set up a car to be competitive on a given track on a given day at a given time with weather variables.

pCars is like a chess game with wheels. There are an infinite set of variables that take skill, time and patience to learn and master. So far, I've used one car on one track and in the process have come in last twice, had my car suffer terminal mechanical failure twice, sat on the pole twice, and won one race. I've adjusted tire pressure, tested several tire compounds, adjusted the air going to my brakes, calibrated my wheel a bunch of times, adjusted the competition level, and memorized the brake points and passing areas of the track. I'm still not ready to say I've master the track or my car, but in time I will and then I will have to do it all over again at another track and with another car.

It may take me years to research setups, tracks and cars and I will love every moment of the time I spend doing it. I played Forza #4 and loved the game. I acquired every car except for one, and won at every track I raced on. I learned a universal setup that worked well with all my cars and built my cars up from the suspension to the engine in that order. And then it wasn't challenging or fun anymore. Go figure.

Sometimes, the best part of an adventure is not the prize, but the journey.

SergioCosmopolis
18-05-2015, 19:01
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21864-Dualshock-4-Controller-Settings-Problems-amp-Solutions

Thanks man. I'm TheBadJesus on Live. Maybe we'll race in Forza sometime. I like the XB1 game pad much better for racing than the PS4's, kind of regretting getting it for PS4 now, but I did so because of Project Morpheus working with it next year. Playing in VR is going to be awesome (if I can complete a lap by then.)

HarryHoodlum
18-05-2015, 19:02
Just so you don't repeat my mistake, make sure you have assists turned to "ALL" and also make sure you turn them individually to "ON" in the same menu. I thought I had assists on for 3 days but I didn't. Basically impossible to play without assists on a gamepad. However, I didn't use steering/break assistance. Just TC, SC, and ABS. These 3 assists make the game totally playable and fun on a gamepad.

SergioCosmopolis
18-05-2015, 19:12
You might be missing the point of the game. Each car is different, each track is different, each player is different. It applies here and in real racing. The point of the game is to figure out what you can do (or need,) to set up a car to be competitive on a given track on a given day at a given time with weather variables.

pCars is like a chess game with wheels. There are an infinite set of variables that take skill, time and patience to learn and master. So far, I've used one car on one track and in the process have come in last twice, had my car suffer terminal mechanical failure twice, sat on the pole twice, and won one race. I've adjusted tire pressure, tested several tire compounds, adjusted the air going to my brakes, calibrated my wheel a bunch of times, adjusted the competition level, and memorized the brake points and passing areas of the track. I'm still not ready to say I've master the track or my car, but in time I will and then I will have to do it all over again at another track and with another car.

It may take me years to research setups, tracks and cars and I will love every moment of the time I spend doing it. I played Forza #4 and loved the game. I acquired every car except for one, and won at every track I raced on. I learned a universal setup that worked well with all my cars and built my cars up from the suspension to the engine in that order. And then it wasn't challenging or fun anymore. Go figure.

Thanks for the reply. No, I get that and it's part of why I've been so excited for the game. My issue is that, not having the money for a wheel right now, I have yet to find game pad settings that sense what I'm doing with the controller and converts that input into the actions I'm trying to perform in game. I've barely been able to even start worrying about car/track setups yet because right now it's like I've had a stroke and I'm thinking " turn the wheel five degrees left" and my arms react by turning it 45 degrees. It's not that bad, but that's the best way I can explain it.

GTOdaddy73
18-05-2015, 19:14

JOCKEY!!!! Long time from another FM/FM.net guy......still just gtodaddy73 on both consoles.

SergioCosmopolis
18-05-2015, 19:17
Just so you don't repeat my mistake, make sure you have assists turned to "ALL" and also make sure you turn them individually to "ON" in the same menu. I thought I had assists on for 3 days but I didn't. Basically impossible to play without assists on a gamepad. However, I didn't use steering/break assistance. Just TC, SC, and ABS. These 3 assists make the game totally playable and fun on a gamepad.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure I did, but I'll make sure to doublecheck it next time I'm on.
I'm really looking forward to playing some multiplayer, but right now I know I'd be that guy that ruins it for everyone, and I've always done my best to race people cleanly. Once I get there, on PSN I'm SergioCosmopolis, if you or anyone else wants to add me for some racing later on.

trancend
18-05-2015, 19:23
Ive had all of last week off and played it for hours. Here is the best setup I could squeeze out so far (though it still isnt good, and teeters on unplayable, bc they just really fkd up the controls, I think to frustrate users into buying pieces of trashmasters):

NOTE: Need to set "Opposite Lock Help" to Off everytime the game is booted, resets to On and is BAD/twitchy.

GAMEPLAY - AUTHENTICITY

Steering Assistance: No
Braking Assistance: No
Driving Assists Allowed: All
Anti-Lock Breaks: Yes
Stability Control: Yes
Traction Control: (I like No, deeper gameplay, Yes makes it very arcadeish)

CONTROLS - CONTROL SCHEME

Steering Deadzone: 0
Steering Sensitivity: 20 (+/- 5 to taste)
Throttle Deadzone: 0
Clutch Sensitivity: 0
------------------------
Speed Sensitivity: 70
Controller Filtering: 0
Damper Saturation: ? (locked)
------------------------
Controller Input Mode: (choice is yours, changing resets your settings, so just leave it)
Advanced: On
Soft Steering Damping: Off
Visual Wheel Filtering: On (Visual que, doesnt effect gameplay)
Opposite Lock Help: Off

HarryHoodlum
18-05-2015, 19:25
Also note that with TC on, you can set the percentage of wheelspin you'd like to allow in the actual car setup menu.

trancend
18-05-2015, 19:30

Dude, hes asking for controller settings, not car setups.

The input device settings should be set and rarely changed. Do you reconfigure your wheel for each car type you drive, no of course not that would be ubsurd.

One thing you would spend years doing is trying to find a playable pad/controller config, this game is simply broken in this area, which is quite laughable being that they released on a console.

trancend
18-05-2015, 19:33
Also note that with TC on, you can set the percentage of wheelspin you'd like to allow in the actual car setup menu.

Um, hes driving with a pad, not a wheel.

Titzon Toast
18-05-2015, 23:15
JOCKEY!!!! Long time from another FM/FM.net guy......still just gtodaddy73 on both consoles.

Ha! How's it going man? Long time no see, have you jumped ship over to the PS4 too?
I was just racing online with Savoury69 on Forza 4.
I'm trying to get him to get a PS and a copy of this game.
Neither one of us bought a Bone because MS dropped our wheel support, we dodged a bullet with Forza 5 I reckon!

Titzon Toast
18-05-2015, 23:19
Thanks man. I'm TheBadJesus on Live. Maybe we'll race in Forza sometime. I like the XB1 game pad much better for racing than the PS4's, kind of regretting getting it for PS4 now, but I did so because of Project Morpheus working with it next year. Playing in VR is going to be awesome (if I can complete a lap by then.)

Stick with it man, it'll come good eventually.
I'll shoot you a FR on Live, although if Project Cars gets sorted out properly I doubt I'll be playing Forza 4 much anymore!

HarryHoodlum
18-05-2015, 23:32
Um, hes driving with a pad, not a wheel.

Right but wheelspin in this context is referring to the amount of wheelspin allowed before automatic brake pressure is applied. The setup item allows you to tweak how powerful the TC is to a degree.

Titzon Toast
18-05-2015, 23:45
Right but wheelspin in this context is referring to the amount of wheelspin allowed before automatic brake pressure is applied. The setup item allows you to tweak how powerful the TC is to a degree.

Traction control doesn't apply brakes, it cuts power.
Stability management applies brakes.

JayChristmas
19-05-2015, 18:40
All sensitives 0
All Deadline dead Tones zones 5
Controllers Filter 50
Thats all !!
Have fun :)

Jaroslav Turna
19-05-2015, 18:53
Try settings linked in my signature .... driving comfortably with Real assists. It may help you, but I'm affraid, you'll have to unlearn tapping anyway :) Or do you tap on your steering wheel in RL too?

HarryHoodlum
19-05-2015, 18:57
Traction control doesn't apply brakes, it cuts power.
Stability management applies brakes.

Point remains the same, I was talking about wheelspin in the virtual world.

GTOdaddy73
24-05-2015, 09:55
Ha! How's it going man? Long time no see, have you jumped ship over to the PS4 too?
I was just racing online with Savoury69 on Forza 4.
I'm trying to get him to get a PS and a copy of this game.
Neither one of us bought a Bone because MS dropped our wheel support, we dodged a bullet with Forza 5 I reckon!

Yes you did...though Horizon 2 was probably one of the most enjoyable Forza games made so far. The system itself is a work in process too. I've had saves lost I the "the cloud" on Xbone multiple times.

Titzon Toast
24-05-2015, 10:06
Yes you did...though Horizon 2 was probably one of the most enjoyable Forza games made so far. The system itself is a work in process too. I've had saves lost I the "the cloud" on Xbone multiple times.

That sounds poxy man, I'd blow a gasket if I lost one of my gamesaves.
I tried to send you a FR on PSN but the PS had a brain fart for some reason, can you send one to me please?
TitzonToast