PDA

View Full Version : Project Cars 2: The Three Ingredients for the Perfect Race Sim

AceMcZer0
18-05-2015, 18:29
I'm coming here from the Steam Forums to get everyone's opinion on what my idea of the perfect racing sim would be. Project Cars does several things right already: The driving model could be much worse, the graphics and car models are sufficient, and when racing in a league multiplayer is pretty good as well. I have my complaints about the game as well, but I'm not here to discuss those. I mentioned over on the Steam forum that PCars, Assetto Corsa, R3E, all these "modern" race sims lack soul. They all look pretty, drive relatively well, and would generally be more attractive to the casual racer than old stalwarts like GTR2 or rFactor or GSC. However, I gave PCars nearly 20 hours (not much by comparison, I'm sure, but enough) of my time and it caused me to reinstall GTR2 and Evo and I don't regret it. Slightly Mad put out a valiant effort--I'd trust them to make another game--but what I hope what the sequel will feature is a drastic change in philosophy, geared towards the true lifeblood of sim racing: Customization. See next line.

Update: I don't mean "customization" as in parts upgrades or other artificial junk that's plagued racers since the first Gran Turismo.

Imagine this feature list--especially if you've played games such as Race 07, Nascar Racing 2003 by Sierra/Papyrus, and Grid (not Autosport) by Codies:

-We give you the cars and the tracks, it's up to you to write your story...

Participate in any of the Championships we've created, or craft your own. A full featured Championship Creator. Set the number of seasons, the length of the season, single or multi class each with its own championship standings, include the entire class or specific makes, whether to include double-features with alternative grid placements (reverse grid/points based), on-the-fly race opponents and lengths catering to potential time constraints, and more...

--Race against your friends--online, or offline...

Create and manage AI rosters filled with either default AI Drivers or create your own. Give your AI driver a name, and set his skill by a dozen(+) unique parameters for a truly unique and humanlike experience. Create a famous F1 or Nascar driver or create your friend, or pull out your phonebook. Create a full field of AI drivers for a truly intimate racing experience on days when multiplayer just isn't an option. Create enough AI, and you can even fill out a "Database" that rotates in fresh talent across your multi-season career.

---Pimp Their Rides

Let the community handle livery design, but do it in-game. A fully featured livery editor allowing you to choose from a variety of templates and patterns, set color specifications, and apply developer-created decals in several styles or do it yourself with the drag and drop feature. Then, similar to AI drivers, fill up your library with user-created liveries and apply them to your drivers.

The first feature came from Race 07, a game that Slightly Mad was once a part of. They know how to do this. Instead of feeding us a preconceived career that feels more like Mercenary contracts than the "life of a race driver" they attempted to create, return to us the ability to drive the championship WE want.

The create a driver feature comes from NR2003--the only driving game I know of that allowed you to truly tweak so many facets of a driver's performance without having to dig under the hood and edit delicate talent files. If I wanted Jimmie Johnson to be the worst driver in the field, I could do that. If I wanted him to feel more human, I could do that. If I wanted to replace him with my best friend who is a Jimmie Johnson fan and make HIM the worst driver in the field, I could do that. The replayability would be endless, without ever touching a mod.

And lastly, anyone who's played the career mode from the original Grid (and Grid 2, but nobody even likes Grid 2) knows how epic the team creator was. It had 100+ patterns to choose from, from racing stripes to tribal designs to sleek and solid monotone, and you could paint it all with a simple "Pattern 1 Color, Pattern 2 Color, etc" suite. You could then slap on the supplied decals in whatever order you wanted, which determined where on the car they went. For all the work it takes to customize cars in Forza games, Codemasters' really punched them in the face with how simple yet effective their team creator was, yet nobody else has tried to mimic it. SMS should. It sure beats having to rely on the community to break their backs to supply liveries, although those too are appreciated immensely. I couldn't see even the best in-game livery creator surpassing the talents and tools of the community, but Grid showed us that an in-game creator can at least try and come close.

Things like online features are of course common and expected, so I don't need to mention the "other" stuff that would go into what would otherwise be the Supreme Single Player Experience, in my opinion. No recent racing sim has been able to exploit the obvious gold mine that is the art of Replayability. I'm no dev, I couldn't make this game I and surely (hopefully) many others would want, but I hope that some day a dev will break away from the restraints of needing "progression" or a sense of it to fuel their sim and just let us have at it with the tools they provide. Give me a detailed stat sheet of my accomplishments within the championships I create, that's all the "progression" I need.

So I ask the PCars community, would this shift from the standard "Career" to a focus on customization be something you'd take interest in? I'm not discussing track or car counts yet--different qualms for different days--or anything concerning physics or graphics or online (unless you want to discuss online championships). Full control over your racing sim, yay or nay?

Ripgroove
18-05-2015, 18:35
Customization is not really the focus of Pcars, and I for one don't really think it should be. Releasing a "Pimp" version would be the wrong direction I believe for this game.

yusupov
18-05-2015, 18:36
yeah pcars big problem is clearly not enough options :rolleyes:

Ripgroove
18-05-2015, 18:39
yeah pcars big problem is clearly not enough options :rolleyes:

Exactly, time spent adding all these sparkly add ons to the game could be spent much better elsewhere improving AI, game optimization, the menu structure, adding tooltips to all the settings etc etc etc etc

LordDRIFT
18-05-2015, 18:40
What ^^ those two guys said.

AceMcZer0
18-05-2015, 18:46
Customization is not really the focus of Pcars, and I for one don't really think it should be. Releasing a "Pimp" version would be the wrong direction I believe for this game.

Perhaps "Pimp their ride" was the wrong choice of words. But basically, you can make the AI's cars from pre-made templates. No crazy graphics like a skull and crossbones or the toxic symbol or any garbage like that, but believable liveries that would give the player a sense of pride in ownership that he/she created every car and driver on the grid. As to what PCar's "focus" is, what exactly is its focus? The car list lacks any real focus, but it wouldn't need one if you could create single-make championships (differentiated by the liveries you create and the drivers you create to drive them), and by the sounds of the common voice, it appears I think more highly of the driving model than most. The complaints seem to be more focused than the game itself at this point. As for the "career" mode, their "drive whatever you want, when you want" mentality seems to have mostly backfired, as it too feels awfully unfocused and unable to keep players drawn in.

If a game with "Project" in the title needs to focus on anything, it's the "project" that comes with being able to customize it the way you want. As I said, give me the cars and the tracks, and I'll "focus" on creating the best game for ME. Which in my case would be the recreation of the ALMS on a global scale.

Francorchamps
18-05-2015, 18:47
No customization. Career needs an overhaul for people that like to unlock things. I was thinking liveries, helmet, gloves, ... But no customization please!

Ripgroove
18-05-2015, 18:51
Perhaps "Pimp their ride" was the wrong choice of words. But basically, you can make the AI's cars from pre-made templates. No crazy graphics like a skull and crossbones or the toxic symbol or any garbage like that, but believable liveries that would give the player a sense of pride in ownership that he/she created every car and driver on the grid. As to what PCar's "focus" is, what exactly is its focus? The car list lacks any real focus, but it wouldn't need one if you could create single-make championships (differentiated by the liveries you create and the drivers you create to drive them), and by the sounds of the common voice, it appears I think more highly of the driving model than most. The complaints seem to be more focused than the game itself at this point. As for the "career" mode, their "drive whatever you want, when you want" mentality seems to have mostly backfired, as it too feels awfully unfocused and unable to keep players drawn in.

If a game with "Project" in the title needs to focus on anything, it's the "project" that comes with being able to customize it the way you want. As I said, give me the cars and the tracks, and I'll "focus" on creating the best game for ME. Which in my case would be the recreation of the ALMS on a global scale.

I see where your going but the devs seem to be over their heads a little at the minute with so many issues and feature requests all over the forums so adding what would be quite large developments to the game at this stage really doesn't make much sense.

AceMcZer0
18-05-2015, 18:51
Exactly, time spent adding all these sparkly add ons to the game could be spent much better elsewhere improving AI, game optimization, the menu structure, adding tooltips to all the settings etc etc etc etc

All things that could've and should've been done in the pre-release schedule but apparently weren't. But like I said, I'm not focused on this game's weaknesses, but what could be done for the next game, when experiences gained from this one should result in less time and effort spent trying to fix what's under the hood and more on giving the user free reign to do with the cars included what they want. Because honestly, how hard is it to give the user control of the championship creator used to create the career that everybody keeps comparing to Autosport for all the wrong reasons? Ditto to the livery and AI editor. The dev can make all the backend tweaks, and let us handle the front end.

LordDRIFT
18-05-2015, 18:54
No customization. Career needs an overhaul for people that like to unlock things. I was thinking liveries, helmet, gloves, ... But no customization please!

Actually for career I'd like to see leaderboards/Race standing for my invitational events. Its like they don't even matter. So you are kinda like blind to what's going on until the next race in the series. Also since its MY career I would much rather see all my current race series and performance vs all the virtual racers and series.

Ripgroove
18-05-2015, 18:56
All things that could've and should've been done in the pre-release schedule but apparently weren't. But like I said, I'm not focused on this game's weaknesses, but what could be done for the next game, when experiences gained from this one should result in less time and effort spent trying to fix what's under the hood and more on giving the user free reign to do with the cars included what they want. Because honestly, how hard is it to give the user control of the championship creator used to create the career that everybody keeps comparing to Autosport for all the wrong reasons? Ditto to the livery and AI editor. The dev can make all the backend tweaks, and let us handle the front end.

I'm sure the devs will be well aware of the things that could be improved upon for the next title release, all I'm saying is that they obviously have limited resources (don't get me wrong that have made an amazing game!) so IMO any resources they do have should be focused on the core of the game as it is. That said though with regards to car customization, IRL as a sponsored race driver generally you don't get to bolt performance mods to your car willy nilly, the cars are built to conform to the race regs and that's it. Your team can tweak suspension, fuel maps and whatknot to their hearts content but other than that they are pretty limited. I beleive Pcars is supposed to mimic the career of a race driver not a backstreet rice tuner or trackday warrior so...

AceMcZer0
18-05-2015, 18:58
I see where your going but the devs seem to be over their heads a little at the minute with so many issues and feature requests all over the forums so adding what would be quite large developments to the game at this stage really doesn't make much sense.

Yes it is still too early in this game's post-release cycle to already bring up the sequel, but my hope and intention is to bring this to the attention of whomever higher-up's eyes may pass over it while I'm still feeling the rush of having bought this game in the first place, and that they'll jot down a note on a sticky and tack it to their quark board under "For future reference". Because honestly, I can't see myself still playing this game a month from now, not when I have GTR2 reinstalled. But as a fan of the sim racing community, I hope SMS sticks around for another crack and rethinks the approach they take for the next game. So many have tried the "win for upgrades!" approach and it's gotten so rehashed and boring, perhaps they'll be the one to truly break trend and let their users' imaginations take hold.

I mean seriously, why do you think NR2003 is still living strong 12 years later? GTR2 10 years later? What do they have that the average sim racer doesn't? Neither have a true "career" to finish. But Customization. Personalization. Replayability.

Ripgroove
18-05-2015, 18:59
Actually for career I'd like to see leaderboards/Race standing for my invitational events. Its like they don't even matter. So you are kinda like blind to what's going on until the next race in the series. Also since its MY career I would much rather see all my current race series and performance vs all the virtual racers and series.

Can you not view current standings in the driver profile anywhere? I've not looked but would have liked to assume its there.

Ripgroove
18-05-2015, 19:01
Yes it is still too early in this game's post-release cycle to already bring up the sequel, but my hope and intention is to bring this to the attention of whomever higher-up's eyes may pass over it while I'm still feeling the rush of having bought this game in the first place, and that they'll jot down a note on a sticky and tack it to their quark board under "For future reference". Because honestly, I can't see myself still playing this game a month from now, not when I have GTR2 reinstalled. But as a fan of the sim racing community, I hope SMS sticks around for another crack and rethinks the approach they take for the next game. So many have tried the "win for upgrades!" approach and it's gotten so rehashed and boring, perhaps they'll be the one to truly break trend and let their users' imaginations take hold.

I mean seriously, why do you think NR2003 is still living strong 12 years later? GTR2 10 years later? What do they have that the average sim racer doesn't? Neither have a true "career" to finish. But Customization. Personalization. Replayability.

Again I don't think that's the target market here, see post #11 ^^ All that info tells me is that there are already established games following that method, PCars is trying to be different, that in itself is its appeal, knock out another "insert popular race sim title here" and that's all you'll end up with, a carbon copy of something that already exists.

LordDRIFT
18-05-2015, 19:02
Can you not view current standings in the driver profile anywhere? I've not looked but would have liked to assume its there.

Only for your long term contract. The invitationals are MIA.

Ripgroove
18-05-2015, 19:03
Only for your long term contract. The invitationals are MIA.

Oh fair enough.

AceMcZer0
18-05-2015, 19:04
I'm sure the devs will be well aware of the things that could be improved upon for the next title release, all I'm saying is that they obviously have limited resources (don't get me wrong that have made an amazing game!) so IMO any resources they do have should be focused on the core of the game as it is. That said though with regards to car customization, IRL as a sponsored race driver generally you don't get to bolt performance mods to your car willy nilly, the cars are built to conform to the race regs and that's it. Your team can tweak suspension, fuel maps and whatknot to their hearts content but other than that they are pretty limited. I beleive Pcars is supposed to mimic the career of a race driver not a backstreet rice tuner or trackday warrior so...

If PCars introduced "upgrades" to their approach, I wouldn't buy it. No, you are the race driver and parts and upgrades are the responsibility of your team. Just drive the car. That said, the Merc Contract system didn't work for Autosport, and it doesn't work here. Pcars is an otherwise blast to drive that's done in by a lack of purpose. If you create your own championship--something Slightly Mad was allowing us to do in 2007 with Race 07 to devastatingly satiating effect--I can create my own purpose driving in a championship I obviously want to be in, since I made it. Being able to drive against drivers I created myself just bolsters the motivation to push through that championship.

That's what I hope for in a future game.

Ripgroove
18-05-2015, 19:05
If PCars introduced "upgrades" to their approach, I wouldn't buy it. No, you are the race driver and parts and upgrades are the responsibility of your team. Just drive the car. That said, the Merc Contract system didn't work for Autosport, and it doesn't work here. Pcars is an otherwise blast to drive that's done in by a lack of purpose. If you create your own championship--something Slightly Mad was allowing us to do in 2007 with Race 07 to devastatingly satiating effect--I can create my own purpose driving in a championship I obviously want to be in, since I made it. Being able to drive against drivers I created myself just bolsters the motivation to push through that championship.

That's what I hope for in a future game.

That could be pretty cool, basically like the "race weekend" option but with races strung together to form a championship.

LordDRIFT
18-05-2015, 19:06
Again I don't think that's the target market here, see post #11 ^^ All that info tells me is that there are already established games following that method, PCars is trying to be different, that in itself is its appeal, knock out another "insert popular race sim title here" and that's all you'll end up with, a carbon copy of something that already exists.

Agree . That's what I like about the game. Its a breath of fresh air (at least on a console). I like the way how I can start where I want and follow my own path. It feels very natural (my career path). I skipped karts and started with t6 (clio). karts don't appeal to me and neither does LMP. Im a GT guy.

AceMcZer0
18-05-2015, 19:08
I get the distinct feeling people see the word "customization" and immediately reply without reading further. I don't ask for parts upgrades or upgrades at all--that's a TERRIBLE system for racing games, as the last decade has shown! I ask that we have full control over the championship itself, the AI itself, and *ONLY* the liveries on the cars. No upgrades, no parts. Just a little identity to what is otherwise my faceless driver and his faceless opponents.

Haiden
18-05-2015, 19:09
So I ask the PCars community, would this shift from the standard "Career" to a focus on customization be something you'd take interest in? I'm not discussing track or car counts yet--different qualms for different days--or anything concerning physics or graphics or online (unless you want to discuss online championships). Full control over your racing sim, yay or nay?

Pretty much nay.

Personally, I love PCars for not including all that fluff. In my opinion, community created livery is a waste of resources and game space. You get a few good designs, and then hundreds of crappy skins that look like a ten-year old created them in MS Paint. I don't want valuable software resources wasted on something that brings such little value to the experience. I play to race, not spend time in the paint shop, looking for designs.

I wouldn't mind having the ability to create a custom season. But I really don't have much interest in being able to tune my own AI drivers. PCars' ten-point difficulty setting is more fine-tuning than most other games allow, and it's really I need. Again, I play to race. I don't want to waste my time tuning AI, when I could be tuning my car and driving. Not having that ability also eliminates the temptation to try and stack the grid--adding just enough mediocre drivers to give yourself a better shot at the podium.

Not sure what you're referring to when you mention replayability . In my opinion, PCars has a ton of replayability. In fact, I don't think I'm going to be buying F1 2015 in June, because I'm pretty sure I'll still be deep into PCars. There are just too many tracks to learn and master in the various cars. I guarantee you it'll take far longer than 20 hours for me to tire of this game. In fact, I don't see myself going back to anything that came before it. :)

AceMcZer0
18-05-2015, 19:12
Agree . That's what I like about the game. Its a breath of fresh air (at least on a console). I like the way how I can start where I want and follow my own path. It feels very natural (my career path). I skipped karts and started with t6 (clio). karts don't appeal to me and neither does LMP. Im a GT guy.

That's what I'm suggesting, but without the constraints of a preconceived "Career". I love GT3 cars, but what I don't love is that I can't customize the GT3 championship itself. PCars is doing nothing that hasn't been done before--see Grid Autosport for a recent example, and Race 07 for an older one. What they do better than Autosport however is remove the need to "Level Up" to better teams, but they're worse than Race in that I can't create a 20 race championship at whatever tracks I want using whatever race parameters I want. And I certainly don't feel like racing against AI whose names I can hardly pronounce when NR2003 was letting me race against my 7th grade English class if I wanted to. PCars can do much better than what they have now...for the next game.

AceMcZer0
18-05-2015, 19:24
Pretty much nay.

Personally, I love PCars for not including all that fluff. In my opinion, community created livery is a waste of resources and game space. You get a few good designs, and then hundreds of crappy skins that look like a ten-year old created them in MS Paint. I don't want valuable software resources wasted on something that brings such little value to the experience. I play to race, not spend time in the paint shop, looking for designs.

I wouldn't mind having the ability to create a custom season. But I really don't have much interest in being able to tune my own AI drivers. PCars' ten-point difficulty setting is more fine-tuning than most other games allow, and it's really I need. Again, I play to race. I don't want to waste my time tuning AI, when I could be tuning my car and driving. Not having that ability also eliminates the temptation to try and stack the grid--adding just enough mediocre drivers to give yourself a better shot at the podium.

Not sure what you're referring to when you mention replayability . In my opinion, PCars has a ton of replayability. In fact, I don't think I'm going to be buying F1 2015 in June, because I'm pretty sure I'll still be deep into PCars. There are just too many tracks to learn and master in the various cars. I guarantee you it'll take far longer than 20 hours for me to tire of this game. In fact, I don't see myself going back to anything that came before it. :)

1. Then don't download others' designs. Design your own. Play Grid and see how "10 year old" the designs look--they look as authentic as liveries from a real racing series. You can knock one out in less than 2 minutes, blindfolded, and it'll still look better than the 90% of the community that isn't talented. You'll feel a lot better dueling around Spa against an AI driving a livery of your design than just another Monster Energy or Gulf.

2. I don't think anyone would sabotage their own championship by deliberately stacking the deck for or against themselves. That's just a matter of restraint.

3. Yes, there is a lot to do in PCars already, provided you're that type to not seek a bigger context in what you're doing. Time Attackers, as you will. Which, don't get me wrong, I enjoy doing on occasion. For those that do seek a bigger picture, there's the career mode that feels very barebones compared to even one season played in many other games. I get that there's a hall of fame to get inducted to, which is the only reason I keep playing, but the championships within that career structure just feel so short and impersonal. What happens when I finish and I'm a hall of famer? Where's the depth? I win a GT series three times, go knock out Formula A and the LMP series, boom done. And I still don't remember a single name of an opponent I beat. The career's boring, and I can't wait til that "Coming Soon" slot is filled with custom championships, though I still won't remember the name of a single competitor or what car they drove. This thread is my plea that the sequel improves that.

4. All you want to do is race, fine. Some of us seek a more catered experience, although racing is and always will be the #1 part of a racing game. I suspect you play R3E and Assetto Corsa to the hilt as well, since they both emphasize racing at the expense of contextual depth--the "Why" in why I should care about this game beyond its time attack modes and the initial ooh's and ahh's. R3E is a glorified demo and AC is just an awful, unfinished game atm, both drive really well and both were uninstalled within a day for lack of anything else. I'd rather race too...to my own drum, because it's more exciting that way, not what PCars and every other recent racing game lays out for me to complete for achievements.

PCars is the best option in a terrible generation of racing sims. It's all style and little substance, and ironically, the substance it needs so desperately is what you call "fluff". If fluff is more content, then I hope PCars 2 feels like a pillow, and I have faith SMS can (will?) pull it off.

Antiversum
18-05-2015, 19:39
All I can say is: Release any later game in a proper state. PCars clearly is released at least half a year early.

Ripgroove
18-05-2015, 19:42
All I can say is: Release any later game in a proper state. PCars clearly is released at least half a year early.

Yes but better to play a game that you know will get better than just sit there with no game at all for another 6 months.

LordDRIFT
18-05-2015, 20:53

If I had to choose what we have now and what we could have 6 months from today. I'm sorry I have to choose this and here's is why.

1. No Decent race title for PS4 since Launch
2. This has already been delayed a bunch of times.
3. We play today and have the Tweaks and then some in 6 months anyway.

Now xb1 guys are in a whole nother pickle from what I gather.

Antiversum
19-05-2015, 07:28
I disagree. Just because any platform lacks of a proper racing game (depends on the view though) this is not an excuse for releasing a bugged software. I just read in another thread that another bug is just "meh to the WMD members" of which I had to laugh about. Especially the WMD-Members have too much of a relationship to the devs and therefore not really judging them any more about this software because they experienced far worse which is quite obvious by playing a game in development.
Just because the mass of games is in beta status when they are released this doesn't mean that this game released in a similar status is an exception because some people paid to play far more bugged versions of it.

The status quo is a bugfree release and if any publisher wants to release it early that is not my problem. If a game is released it has to work without any crashes, GBs of day1 patches or huge failures in AI behaviour - and I really doubt there is nobody who didn't realized the issues.

nhitrac
19-05-2015, 07:53
I must be in the minority but I for one have never liked or been into customising my liveries. Just give me a handful of good quality realistic-ish livery and I'm a happy camper.

Agree with the other points though

MaXKiLLz
19-05-2015, 11:10
Here's the main thing I'd like with PCars2. 100% honesty and transparency from SMS. Tell us everything we're getting with our purchase. Both the good and the bad.

Haiden
19-05-2015, 18:03
1. Then don't download others' designs. Design your own. Play Grid and see how "10 year old" the designs look--they look as authentic as liveries from a real racing series. You can knock one out in less than 2 minutes, blindfolded, and it'll still look better than the 90% of the community that isn't talented. You'll feel a lot better dueling around Spa against an AI driving a livery of your design than just another Monster Energy or Gulf.

2. I don't think anyone would sabotage their own championship by deliberately stacking the deck for or against themselves. That's just a matter of restraint.

3. Yes, there is a lot to do in PCars already, provided you're that type to not seek a bigger context in what you're doing. Time Attackers, as you will. Which, don't get me wrong, I enjoy doing on occasion. For those that do seek a bigger picture, there's the career mode that feels very barebones compared to even one season played in many other games. I get that there's a hall of fame to get inducted to, which is the only reason I keep playing, but the championships within that career structure just feel so short and impersonal. What happens when I finish and I'm a hall of famer? Where's the depth? I win a GT series three times, go knock out Formula A and the LMP series, boom done. And I still don't remember a single name of an opponent I beat. The career's boring, and I can't wait til that "Coming Soon" slot is filled with custom championships, though I still won't remember the name of a single competitor or what car they drove. This thread is my plea that the sequel improves that.

4. All you want to do is race, fine. Some of us seek a more catered experience, although racing is and always will be the #1 part of a racing game. I suspect you play R3E and Assetto Corsa to the hilt as well, since they both emphasize racing at the expense of contextual depth--the "Why" in why I should care about this game beyond its time attack modes and the initial ooh's and ahh's. R3E is a glorified demo and AC is just an awful, unfinished game atm, both drive really well and both were uninstalled within a day for lack of anything else. I'd rather race too...to my own drum, because it's more exciting that way, not what PCars and every other recent racing game lays out for me to complete for achievements.

PCars is the best option in a terrible generation of racing sims. It's all style and little substance, and ironically, the substance it needs so desperately is what you call "fluff". If fluff is more content, then I hope PCars 2 feels like a pillow, and I have faith SMS can (will?) pull it off.

1. I don't. And don't want developers spending time or wasting resources building an interface to do that. Since, you know... I don't.

2. It's not sabotage. Don't be so dramatic. It's no different than playing a level below your true skill, which a lot of people do, so they can take the top spot.

3. I like your thinly veiled sarcasm, but actually I do want more context, just not expanding it in the design direction. And if you paid closer attention, you'd see that I agreed about the custom seasons. That would be a great addition. I just don't care for designing my own liveries. And no, it wouldn't make one bit of difference if the AI was running my skins or the game's liveries. As long as they were sufficiently varied, I could care less. Forza didn't vary liveries well AT ALL. I'm not a designer, so I don't care about those things. In my opinion, they waste time. I'd rather be racing. So if bigger context means designing liveries, then no I'm not seeking anything bigger. Call me simple.

4. Yes. All I want to do is race/drive. If you don't, why did you buy the game? I want to race solo. I want to race in seasons. I want to race online. I want to race in custom championships. I want to race! I really don't know what you mean by "contextual depth" sounds like a fancy term for superfluous fluff. What does it matter if I named the AI drivers or they were computer generated names. I didn't name Lewis Hamilton, or Sebastian Vettal, Bottas, Verstappen, or any of the other F1 drivers, but I learned their names because I see them all the time. In my opinion, that [creating names] is just something to distract me and waste time. And I'm a writer. I can think of more than a dozen full names in a minute. That's how little I care about being able to do it in this game.

That said, if these things matter to you, then fine. You asked for public opinion, and I gave you mine. If you just wanted people to agree with you, you should have stipulated that in your post. :)

Slowsley
28-05-2015, 04:09
1. I don't. And don't want developers spending time or wasting resources building an interface to do that. Since, you know... I don't.

2. It's not sabotage. Don't be so dramatic. It's no different than playing a level below your true skill, which a lot of people do, so they can take the top spot.

3. I like your thinly veiled sarcasm, but actually I do want more context, just not expanding it in the design direction. And if you paid closer attention, you'd see that I agreed about the custom seasons. That would be a great addition. I just don't care for designing my own liveries. And no, it wouldn't make one bit of difference if the AI was running my skins or the game's liveries. As long as they were sufficiently varied, I could care less. Forza didn't vary liveries well AT ALL. I'm not a designer, so I don't care about those things. In my opinion, they waste time. I'd rather be racing. So if bigger context means designing liveries, then no I'm not seeking anything bigger. Call me simple.

4. Yes. All I want to do is race/drive. If you don't, why did you buy the game? I want to race solo. I want to race in seasons. I want to race online. I want to race in custom championships. I want to race! I really don't know what you mean by "contextual depth" sounds like a fancy term for superfluous fluff. What does it matter if I named the AI drivers or they were computer generated names. I didn't name Lewis Hamilton, or Sebastian Vettal, Bottas, Verstappen, or any of the other F1 drivers, but I learned their names because I see them all the time. In my opinion, that [creating names] is just something to distract me and waste time. And I'm a writer. I can think of more than a dozen full names in a minute. That's how little I care about being able to do it in this game.

That said, if these things matter to you, then fine. You asked for public opinion, and I gave you mine. If you just wanted people to agree with you, you should have stipulated that in your post. :)

I think we all just want custom careers. Like, a lot.
Somehow this posts is not at least 3 characters long so I'm lengthening it....with fluff. Work now? Really?
Seriously, how is this not 3 characters long?
FOR REAL???!!!!!

apexatspeed
28-05-2015, 04:30

You just described customization. Changing liveries, helmets, and gloves sounds like customization to me.

David Wright
28-05-2015, 06:57
I mean seriously, why do you think NR2003 is still living strong 12 years later? GTR2 10 years later?

The key reason is lack of a sequel, in both cases due to licensing issues. Papyrus/Vivendi lost the NASCAR license to EA and Porsche and Ferrari pulled out of the FIA GT license.

NR2003 killed NR2002. GTR2 killed GTR. If we had had NR2004 then NR2003 would be dead, same if we had had GTR3.

Just a correction to earlier statements that Slightly Mad was involved in RACE 07 and GTR Evo - it wasn't. Slightly Mad (known as Blimey! back then) ceased their involvement with Simbin after GTR2.

For me the reason modern racing sims lack soul is that they try to be all things to all men. Titles like GPL, NR2003, GT Legends and GTR2 have soul because they are focused on one racing series and they cover it in depth with all the cars, all the tracks and all the drivers. Today you can drive a Lotus 49 in AC, pCARs and iRacing or a Brabham BT20 in rF2, but none comes close to creating a 67 F1 season like GPL does.

To get back on topic a custom championship creator does sound like a good idea.

Mascot
28-05-2015, 07:44
I do like the idea of being able to rename the AI drivers. Such a small detail would add one hell of a lot to the atmosphere of offline races.

RedDave84
28-05-2015, 08:04
You're supposed to be simulating the on-track life of a racing driver. You shouldn't be able to walk up to Jensen Button and say "You've got a stupid name, I want to change it." Apply that logic to other distracting suggestions.

MULTIVITZ
28-05-2015, 08:31
On that allows tuning. Re: tune grind

Old skool hemi
28-05-2015, 09:59
For the developers and other people on this forum to be going on about pcars 2 proves to me how broken this game is....

its only the wmd members keeping this game alive by lying and hyping the game up because they have invested money and if it wasnt hyped they wouldnt of made a profit. Thats why they dont like negative threads and close them down or remove them. There are statements from sms on various sites on the internet stating "we have delayed this game because its 99.9% and we want it to be released to the customer as 100% package.. really guys

.wake up and think to yourself why have they got pcars 2 in the pipeline when this game hasnt been out a month yet. I agree with all your ideas on this thread it would be great to have these features to add on or implement on pcars 2 but at the end of the day they havent delievered what they said with this game. Im not jumping on there hype train again..

it will take months before all the bugs are patched thats if they get patched looking at patch 1.3 it doesnt look very promising. So they cant even add what they said would be in the game from the start like realistic crash physics, full animated pit crew, safety cars, a flag system that works, etc... etc... dont get me wrong in not too bothered about these functions as i want the game to be stable first.

Keep your fingers crossed for your features you would like

bringmetheapex
28-05-2015, 10:25
Its the Codemasters way, leave stuff out deliberately so they can sell you another game next year...... Turn 10 do it but every 2 year's instead. How sad that we had months no years of talk before PCars, then it comes and already we have threads about PCars2... how about make PCars 1 as good as it can be?? Or do we just hav to wait till 2....
We only have ourselves to blame for this ......

Mascot
28-05-2015, 11:01
You're supposed to be simulating the on-track life of a racing driver. You shouldn't be able to walk up to Jensen Button and say "You've got a stupid name, I want to change it." Apply that logic to other distracting suggestions.

It doesn't have to be compulsory...

Rayge
28-05-2015, 13:19
They don't have to make a sequel to improve this game. It has so much potential to still be profitable for the next 5 years if they offer livery customization similar to how Valve's top money makers do. They could even offer driver customization and all that other cool stuff. The game could have a huge roster by the end of its life cycle. Graphical updates are also not out of the question. They could improve the crowds and rain effects later on if the game is successful. Hopefully a few more months will help this game get to where it could be.