PDA

View Full Version : Telemetry during replay

fendtvario
18-05-2015, 18:44
How do I pull up telemetry information in a replay?

During a race/time trial I have a complete HUD that can be switched between the simple and advanced telemetry. Useful, but how do I pull up this information during a replay of lets say a time trial. I only get to see the last 2 minutes(?) and an option to hide the controls. I want to see my speed and gear here (while the camera is behind the car) to compare and improve. How to do this?

Haiden
18-05-2015, 19:16
I was wondering that, as well. Haven't been able to find the option to do so, and I'm starting to think you can't. Crazy, because it's hard to look at while you're actually driving.

JDFSSS
18-05-2015, 19:19
You can't. This seems like another basic feature that's been left out of the game. Don't worry though, more DLC tracks and cars are coming! /sarcasm

Mahjik
18-05-2015, 19:19
IIRC, it's not possible as not all of the physics data is stored in the replay.

For the PC guys, use the telemetry apps/profile apps:

http://www.projectcarsgame.com/apps.html

fendtvario
18-05-2015, 20:08
Too bad this isn't possible. Any dev reading this and willing to add it to the feature list?

MaXyM
18-05-2015, 20:30
It's technically almost impossible if all platforms and configs have to be covered.
Telemetry data stream is incredible wide. It would cause replays files really big (I mean hundreds of megabytes or even gigabytes depending of session length and number of cars)
Even telemetry data used for recreation of car movement (and its parts like steering wheel, wheels, suspension) must be lossy-compressed to maintain replay files in acceptable size.

JDFSSS
18-05-2015, 22:09
It's technically almost impossible if all platforms and configs have to be covered.
Telemetry data stream is incredible wide. It would cause replays files really big (I mean hundreds of megabytes or even gigabytes depending of session length and number of cars)
Even telemetry data used for recreation of car movement (and its parts like steering wheel, wheels, suspension) must be lossy-compressed to maintain replay files in acceptable size.

I don't think it would be too difficult to simply add speed/gear and a clock to show your lap time. Maybe they could even add steering/throttle/brake inputs but that might be too much to ask from SMS.

madmax2069
18-05-2015, 22:19
This wouls be really nice to have in the game

fendtvario
19-05-2015, 20:17
For console (PS4 for me) I would say the basics like speed/gear/throttle/brake would be enough. The advanced screen with brake temperatures etc is not needed in my opinion. The basics to compare lap times and see where to improve. The most fanatic drivers will use the PC version with way more advanced hardware with all the tools available. With the current functionality it's only possible to see if the racing line is correct, but nothing else which is a shame.

Please also comment on Replay more options (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?25886-Replay-more-options).

Charles Gillen
19-05-2015, 20:43
If you have telemetry in replays it becomes easy to tweak the setup you used to attain the lap youre watching. While good for watching your own laps it's a good tool to further tune your car.

But watching other peoples laps in TT, it becomes a tool for reverse engineering a competitors setup. Rivals are probably the most competitive part of a racing sim. More so than actually racing. And the really fast drivers dont care to share their secrets with the general public. They're under no requirement to do so and for good reason.

Many of the really fast drivers you will never see online racing against the masses. Too unpredictable and basically a rolling berm. So the best , cleanest way to compete is in TT......Charles

tennenbaum
19-05-2015, 22:21
telemetry data very much wanted during replay!!

MaXyM
19-05-2015, 22:26
I don't think it would be too difficult to simply add speed/gear and a clock to show your lap time. Maybe they could even add steering/throttle/brake inputs but that might be too much to ask from SMS.

Speed/Gear should be possible. But "basic telemetry data" is not equal to "telemetry data".
Full telemetry data isn't going to happen. Some basic stuff is in range.

atomicBRblaster
04-07-2015, 03:46
In order to improve the car setup is almost an obligation the telemetry analysis. We don't have a full-time engaged engineer doing its analisys in real-time to cover important optimizations, so we have to do it, but how do we do that while running?

TSells31
04-07-2015, 06:12
Very carefully. Lmao if you're on ps4 just use the share function, run your laps with the telemetry display up, and analyze your video cap afterwards. PC you could use any screen recording software. Sorry xbone, as far as I know, you're SOL.

atomicBRblaster
04-07-2015, 12:27
Thanks buddy...Lol...I still thinking it's an unusual and weird method but also appears to be the only one. I'm not totally comfortable with that tons of information while concentrated in race line and motec parameters.

atomicBRblaster
04-07-2015, 17:13
If you have telemetry in replays it becomes easy to tweak the setup you used to attain the lap youre watching. While good for watching your own laps it's a good tool to further tune your car.

But watching other peoples laps in TT, it becomes a tool for reverse engineering a competitors setup. Rivals are probably the most competitive part of a racing sim. More so than actually racing. And the really fast drivers dont care to share their secrets with the general public. They're under no requirement to do so and for good reason.

Many of the really fast drivers you will never see online racing against the masses. Too unpredictable and basically a rolling berm. So the best , cleanest way to compete is in TT......Charles

Oh, I have to desagree...It's nice to learn about reverse engineering but its only possible if you know a little about engineering...I mean Its a useless feature if you can't use it for IT's purpose. By now I am novice sim racer and I can't simply analyse the just looking at it without check if brakes, tires, braking and throttle are working fine and all that stuff.

I mean it's less harder to an experienced player to do some analisys in real-time so we beginner players need some resources to start to walk alone without make "dumb" and repetitive questions here for example.

Schnizz58
04-07-2015, 17:28
Telemetry is virtually worthless if you can't review it after a session.

TheReaper GT
04-07-2015, 17:29
Very carefully. Lmao if you're on ps4 just use the share function, run your laps with the telemetry display up, and analyze your video cap afterwards. PC you could use any screen recording software. Sorry xbone, as far as I know, you're SOL.

XBox one can record up to five minutes, no problem. I use that method.

rams1de
04-07-2015, 18:04
Does anyone know which telemetry data can be trusted and which should be ignored?

It may seem a stupid question but I've read a post attributing a dev to saying the number beneath tyre icons has no meaning as it is an artefact from a previous game the telemetry was copied from.

When I did some testing on the effect of camber on tyre temps, I was unable to identify any discernible difference in temps across the width of the tyres between extremes of camber. Temps increased and decreased but difference between outside, centre and inside hardly varied at all, even on corners with maximum load.

atomicBRblaster
04-07-2015, 19:31
Does anyone know which telemetry data can be trusted and which should be ignored?

It may seem a stupid question but I've read a post attributing a dev to saying the number beneath tyre icons has no meaning as it is an artefact from a previous game the telemetry was copied from.

When I did some testing on the effect of camber on tyre temps, I was unable to identify any discernible difference in temps across the width of the tyres between extremes of camber. Temps increased and decreased but difference between outside, centre and inside hardly varied at all, even on corners with maximum load.

I think it is...I mean...the telemetry has reliable data. It's easy to notice a sloppy kart at first laps after getting out of boxes. I can say something about the engine smoke when the water temperature rises above 100C. Lots and lots of parameters tell you how the cara is going using the motec and the telemetry show some of them more detailed but sadly we can't make any analysis of that data after the race...