PDA

View Full Version : Need some serious pointers!

kcroyalsfan1982
18-05-2015, 19:14
I need some serious help. I can't seem to drive anything in this game. I spend most laps and races constantly spinning, running off the track, and hitting walls. Its starting to get really frustrating that I can't figure this awesome looking game out. Pointers, tips and anything that may help me out would be much appreciated. Thank Project Cars community!

KK78
18-05-2015, 19:50
I need some serious help. I can't seem to drive anything in this game. I spend most laps and races constantly spinning, running off the track, and hitting walls. Its starting to get really frustrating that I can't figure this awesome looking game out. Pointers, tips and anything that may help me out would be much appreciated. Thank Project Cars community!

Ok so playing the PS4 version out of the box is not wise as the default settings are pretty 'off' in my experience.

Firstly I'd go with these settings below, these are in the control section;

Steering deadzone = 10
Steering sensitivity = 0
Throttle deadzone = 10
Throttle sensitivity = 20
Brake deadzone = 10
Brake sensitivity = 20
Speed sensitivity = 65
Control filtering sensitivity = 50
Force feedback = 100
Advanced settings off

Then in terms of assists see what you feel comfortable with, I turned off braking, steering, driving line because I feel these put me off and don't let you learn the tracks or from mistakes. I left the rest on but have since reduced the assists further. I'd ignore the tweaking of the car set ups for now.

Then pick championships and events in the more easier to control cars. I found here that I needed to leave open wheel cars out at the beginning, I also find the lower power and road cars harder than the faster GT cars so I started in the Clios but quickly moved onto GT5, then GT4, GT3 and now I'm ready for Formula B. Best thing is to sort the set-up out and then try various cars in the time trial section, see what suits and choose a championship in that car range.

Finally take your time, don't try to win every race until you can handle the car, sounds obvious but until I was well versed in brake before the corner>accelerate through it I was rushing and often overshooting.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

trancend
18-05-2015, 19:59
Assuming your a pad player, try these (once you set a base config, you gotta stick with it for at least a day, and drive the same car/event, then go ahead and make small tweaks at a time and throughly test them to find what works for you):

NOTE: Need to set "Opposite Lock Help" to Off everytime the game is booted, resets to On and is BAD/twitchy.

GAMEPLAY - AUTHENTICITY

Steering Assistance: No
Braking Assistance: No
Driving Assists Allowed: All
Anti-Lock Breaks: Yes
Stability Control: Yes
Traction Control: (I like No, deeper gameplay, Yes makes it very arcadeish)

CONTROLS - CONTROL SCHEME

Steering Deadzone: 0
Steering Sensitivity: 20 (+/- 5 to taste)
Throttle Deadzone: 0
Clutch Sensitivity: 0
------------------------
Speed Sensitivity: 70
Controller Filtering: 0
Damper Saturation: ? (locked)
------------------------
Controller Input Mode: (choice is yours, changing resets your settings, so just leave it)
Advanced: On
Soft Steering Damping: Off
Visual Wheel Filtering: On (Visual que, doesnt effect gameplay)
Opposite Lock Help: Off

superchargedk20
18-05-2015, 20:11
Just practice practice practice . When I first played with the pad couldn't drive a damn. Always spinning out couldn't beat the computer on difficult 60. Now I'm on difficult 70 always coming in 1st with qualifying times(thinking bout 80 soon). Patience , learn the car , learn the track. You'll be pulling in faster times. I'm on all assists off , set to realistic , and the default settings for the joypad.

DrIceV
18-05-2015, 20:13

I too struggled, and i'd class myself as a fairly profficient to decent driving sim player with decades of experience - Gran turismo from the beginning, Metropolis street racer through all the project gothams, and all the Forzas but then this game i hit a wall - I'm used to playing no assists but just couldn't get a tune out of the Caterham, so I swallowed my pride, turned on some assists - not line or braking or steeering - just TC and spin and the game clicked for me! I've now changed from being overwhelmed and a bit embarrassed at how terrible I was to clipping apexes and nailing throttles through the turns inches from competitors - utterly loving it now. Next in career was racing a clio - back to being terrible but i switched of all the aids and I was OK again - this game is terrific but its definitely not one you can just jump into anything and post decent times - some definitely need to be driven aided some not havent done much tuning except lowering tyre pressures a touch and stiffening the springs. The more time you focus on one car the better I find insted of hopping about looking for whats just over there.
hope this helps :)

zennmeister
18-05-2015, 21:08
Indeed, there can be quite a bit of testing/tweaking to get the settings right.
Also bear in mind that you may (likely) need to change your settings depending on the class of car.

Umer Ahmad
18-05-2015, 21:12
Once you got your controller sorted and a proper feel for the game check out SafeisFast.com or search "safe is fast" on youtube. A series of "racecraft" videos for guys trying to improve their track skills.

Krazee DD
18-05-2015, 21:12
Go fast, dont die.

Thats what my dad always told me.

But for real....these guys are giving you some sweet setting. Experiment with those and you should be on your way. My little tidbit is "Love the gas pedal, dont smash it into the ground then let it go.....looove it".

Martini Da Gasalini
18-05-2015, 21:57
Just practice practice practice . When I first played with the pad couldn't drive a damn. Always spinning out couldn't beat the computer on difficult 60. Now I'm on difficult 70 always coming in 1st with qualifying times(thinking bout 80 soon). Patience , learn the car , learn the track. You'll be pulling in faster times. I'm on all assists off , set to realistic , and the default settings for the joypad.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

kcroyalsfan1982
20-05-2015, 13:22
thanks guys for the pointers. i do have one question though. what exactly does "steering deadzone" mean. im a little new to these fancy next gen consoles. this is my first playstation since the PS2. knowing the term might help me set it up to my play style.

jgaganas
20-05-2015, 13:28
... and start with an easy car (like the Ginetta Junior) and not with the BAC Mono, McLaren F1, 86 Lotus, etc.

HarryHoodlum
20-05-2015, 13:31
thanks guys for the pointers. i do have one question though. what exactly does "steering deadzone" mean. im a little new to these fancy next gen consoles. this is my first playstation since the PS2. knowing the term might help me set it up to my play style.

It's basically how much "wiggle room" you have with the sticks/wheel where nothing happens. So if you set the deadzone very HIGH, moving the stick slightly should not register as an input. If you feel it's hard to keep the car in a straight line, or the steering is too harsh, try increasing the deadzone.