PDA

View Full Version : Lotus 72D Cosworth Formule 1 Racing Car

Black_Gold_Saw
18-05-2015, 20:38
I was just wondering how to fix this car. This thing a beauty is all over the place.
I surely do know how to drive in this game but the rear end just keeps slipping away no matter what i try to do with it.

I've tryed different kind of setups.
-High downforce nose, low downforce rear \ and switching this.
-High and lowere tire pressure.
-Softer springs.

Mixing these things up and it just keeps sliding all over the place.(Like it's on ice)

I surely love the looks of this car and would love to drive it, so if anyone knows to fix this issue with this car please do tell us.
http://www.wmdportal.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/ss1158471.jpg

EDIT: Driving the 2 other Lotus cars. The 78 and Renault Turbo is no problem. They got the grip a formule 1 car has.

yusupov
18-05-2015, 20:41
early 70s F1 car on a controller w/ no traction control assist is going to be a challenge no matter what i think. this kind of car is probably gonig to powerslide alot etc, the 78 is a better choice for controller input imo, but i havent tried countersteering etc w/ controller yet in this game. but yeah i would think about enabling stability control at least of some kind to keep the rear end from turning completely

Black_Gold_Saw
18-05-2015, 20:43
early 70s F1 car on a controller w/ no traction control assist is going to be a challenge no matter what i think. this kind of car is probably gonig to powerslide alot etc, the 78 is a better choice for controller input imo, but i havent tried countersteering etc w/ controller yet in this game. but yeah i would think about enabling stability control at least of some kind to keep the rear end from turning completely
Yeah its the powersliding, just in 3rd gear it slips away.

But turning this car is insanly hard, and if u try to countersteer it, yeah well the wall is getting close very fast.

SchnauzahPowah
18-05-2015, 21:04
Have you tried lowering the traction slip? Believe its at the bottom of the first "edit tuning" page. If there's a restrictor option available for power output, lower that to a comfortable setting until you're getting the hang of it then slowly raise that as well. Also in the controller settings, play around with throttle deadzone and sensitivity. Hopefully that'll lend some aid for such an awesome iconic car.

Black_Gold_Saw
18-05-2015, 21:11
Have you tried lowering the traction slip? Believe its at the bottom of the first "edit tuning" page. If there's a restrictor option available for power output, lower that to a comfortable setting until you're getting the hang of it then slowly raise that as well. Also in the controller settings, play around with throttle deadzone and sensitivity. Hopefully that'll lend some aid for such an awesome iconic car.
It's at 11% and it has a lock on it. So u can't change it.

yusupov
18-05-2015, 21:15
you can change it its just locked out bc you have TC disabled or assists set to real, if you enable TC you should be able to use it on any car

Black_Gold_Saw
18-05-2015, 21:17
you can change it its just locked out bc you have TC disabled or assists set to real, if you enable TC you should be able to use it on any car

Ok i'll give that a try.
Although i got the feeling the makers of this specific vehicle gave it the formule 1 power. but a road car handling. Just feels so awkward.

Black_Gold_Saw
18-05-2015, 21:28
Activating Traction control and lowering the % in traction slip didn't work.

I assume they just did something terribly wrong with this driving setup/model.
I really is undriveble. Or its just a weard and hard way of getting this car around a track.
But all f1 cars in this game aren't drift cars like this one is. The backend isn't stepping out every slightly angled corner.

To bad, would love to race this car.

If someone still finds a good setup for this car, that doesn't require all assists on please tell us here. :)

Doug914
18-05-2015, 21:40
I was just wondering how to fix this car. This thing a beauty is all over the place.
I surely do know how to drive in this game but the rear end just keeps slipping away no matter what i try to do with it.

I've tryed different kind of setups.
-High downforce nose, low downforce rear \ and switching this.
-High and lowere tire pressure.
-Softer springs.

Mixing these things up and it just keeps sliding all over the place.(Like it's on ice)

I surely love the looks of this car and would love to drive it, so if anyone knows to fix this issue with this car please do tell us.
http://www.wmdportal.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/ss1158471.jpg

EDIT: Driving the 2 other Lotus cars. The 78 and Renault Turbo is no problem. They got the grip a formule 1 car has.

I ran out of time near the end to fine tune this car as AJ was finishing the tires up till the deadline. But try these settings out, only change what i list.. Tames the rear quite a bit and then you can then tweak it from there to your liking . Enjoy :)

Front Camber -2.0
Rear Camber -1.5
Front Slow Bump 2700
Rear slow Bump 1800
Rear toein +0.3
Front swaybar 30nm
Rear swaybar 30nm
Rear Wing 12.0
Longitudinal weight Distr 62.0%

Black_Gold_Saw
18-05-2015, 21:49
I ran out of time near the end to fine tune this car as AJ was finishing the tires up till the deadline. But try these settings out, only change what i list.. Tames the rear quite a bit and then you can then tweak it from there to your liking . Enjoy :)

Front Camber -2.0
Rear Camber -1.5
Front Slow Bump 2700
Rear slow Bump 1800
Rear toein +0.3
Front swaybar 30nm
Rear swaybar 30nm
Rear Wing 12.0

Copy that, i'll give it a try.
Thnx in advance :D

EDIT: Ohyeah this is much much much better. The rear end isn't pushing out that much (like it wants to pass the front wheels.)

Doug914
19-05-2015, 00:22
Great. I'll change the default setup to something similar to this in a future patch hopefully. Also it uses too much bumpstop lenght as a default, but that's not user adjustable. I'll probably shorten the lengths and make them user adjustable from there..

Black_Gold_Saw
19-05-2015, 11:11
Great. I'll change the default setup to something similar to this in a future patch hopefully. Also it uses too much bumpstop lenght as a default, but that's not user adjustable. I'll probably shorten the lengths and make them user adjustable from there..
Are u some sort of developer? Or...? since u talk about change the default in future patch.

Would be awesome though.

Psychomatrix
19-05-2015, 11:33

Great to see you here in the forum. Much greater is that youre open to make the 72d more driveable. How often I wished someone of the forza dev do this. Seem that you're doing your job very well. Thumbs up

Psychomatrix
19-05-2015, 12:27
With this setup car is much more controllable. thanks guys :)

Eric Rowland
19-05-2015, 16:06
Are u some sort of developer? Or...? since u talk about change the default in future patch.

Would be awesome though.

He is the man!....er, developer...:)

Franco Ferrari
19-05-2015, 17:49

Would be awesome though.

He is Doug [can I reveal his last name?], one of the actual developers of the physics engine.

I think this thread speaks for itself when it comes to demonstrate how close to the community the SMS team is working.

And yes... if he says that he's going to change the basic physics of a car in a future patch, he means it.

Doug914
19-05-2015, 23:01
He is Doug [can I reveal his last name?], one of the actual developers of the physics engine.

I think this thread speaks for itself when it comes to demonstrate how close to the community the SMS team is working.

And yes... if he says that he's going to change the basic physics of a car in a future patch, he means it.

I am doug. But you can call me Doug. ;)
I spent quite a bit of time with this car the last two days. Safe to say it's down right awesome now. Found a few "basic" problems with it that i should have caught before release, but just plain ran out of time (plus there were bullets flying everywhere to dodge :))
Not sure when you'll see it, but enjoy the quick setup fix i posted for now. :)

Black_Gold_Saw
20-05-2015, 10:38
I am doug. But you can call me Doug. ;)
I spent quite a bit of time with this car the last two days. Safe to say it's down right awesome now. Found a few "basic" problems with it that i should have caught before release, but just plain ran out of time (plus there were bullets flying everywhere to dodge :))
Not sure when you'll see it, but enjoy the quick setup fix i posted for now. :)

Cool, very cool a developer is so much in contact with the community.
Apreciate that alot!

Black_Gold_Saw
20-05-2015, 11:00
Just some information;

I've been driving the 72D with new setup and it's much more controllable, but it still has a weard kind of slippery backend.
Than I start driving the Lotus 78 cosworth and Lotus Renault Turbo versions and those cars have both alot of grip / downforce and the rear doesn't kick out, I think beqause of the rear wing.
The Renault Turbo wants to kick out but thats just the Turbo suddenly kicks in. Very nice and cool.

After those two cars I start driving with the first Lotus formule 1 car the Lotus 49 Cosworth. And the first thing that i noticed was. It has the same grip levels as the Lotus 72D Cosworth.
So my thoughts about it is, that the 72D has a wrong physics model that looks close to the 49 cosworth, and I think it should be more like the 78 Cosworth model since that car has a front and back wing.

Franco Ferrari
20-05-2015, 12:04
Just some information;
I've been driving the 72D with new setup and it's much more controllable, but it still has a weard kind of slippery backend.
Than I start driving the Lotus 78 cosworth and Lotus Renault Turbo versions and those cars have both alot of grip / downforce and the rear doesn't kick out, I think beqause of the rear wing.
The Renault Turbo wants to kick out but thats just the Turbo suddenly kicks in. Very nice and cool.

The Lotus 78 used ground effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_effect_%28cars%29) resulting in huge amount of aero grip. Also, the tyres on the 72D, despite being slicks, are not even comparable to the ones of the 78 in terms of technology.
All in all the 78 is technically ahead of the 72D by leaps and bounds.

After those two cars I start driving with the first Lotus formule 1 car the Lotus 49 Cosworth. And the first thing that i noticed was. It has the same grip levels as the Lotus 72D Cosworth.
So my thoughts about it is, that the 72D has a wrong physics model that looks close to the 49 cosworth, and I think it should be more like the 78 Cosworth model since that car has a front and back wing.

On the other hand, the 72D is not much different from the 49 in terms of chassis and suspension geometry... so they handle very similarly.
The engine also was almost identical.
The aerodynamics of the 72D... also... to be fair, we should say it was rudimentary (but still revolutionary for the year).

Both are very difficult cars to drive... and extremely hard to push to the limits.

Grijo
02-06-2015, 17:42

Front Camber -2.0
Rear Camber -1.5
Front Slow Bump 2700
Rear slow Bump 1800
Rear toein +0.3
Front swaybar 30nm
Rear swaybar 30nm
Rear Wing 12.0

Thanks a lot Doug914, i tried this settings and im finally able to drive the Lotus 72 with all assistances disabled in the Dualshock controller.

jsyedidia
13-06-2015, 00:14
The Lotus 72D is hugely improved by the 1.4 patch. It's a fun car to drive now. The Lotus 72D joins the Lotus 78 as my favorite cars in the game. Thanks Doug!

Black_Gold_Saw
09-07-2015, 14:46
I have been driving the Lotus 72D again lately, and i've noticed some big grip improvements. It's still slippery but feels way better than before.
I've noticed that putting more rear wing than front, and increase the Rear toe-in to + 1.0 or more helps too.

Just be careful with the throttle and u can still be pretty fast.
Like 5 minutes ago, I was racing on Zolder, and I put down a 1:33.4.