PDA

View Full Version : Umer Ahmad 's wielding a ban hammer

IrideGravity
18-05-2015, 20:38
But I don't know why,
I definitely would like to understand though. Following is a direct quote.

"Damn, another of these. Ok fine.

Guys, All feedback is welcome and needed. The programmers need to see whats wrong, that's our part. Make a professional and evidence-based report and the programmer can do something with it.

Flinging around feces is another tactic too, slightly less motivating and less efficienct. Might get you kicked out which is not in anyone's best interest."

Are generalized comments about bans part of SMS policy, or is this something we can expect in future?
If he means what he says, why is he not speaking to a specific individual or infraction? This comes off as a random threat of any future criticism without establishing any clear rules violations.
Super sketchy and unappreciated.

Pink_650S
18-05-2015, 20:43
Thats nitpicking imho.
You get kicked out of any forum if you dont behave.

Bealdor
18-05-2015, 20:51
It's pretty simple IMO. Stay away from insults, don't spam the forums (in short: obey the forum rules) and you don't have to worry about anything.

People must keep in mind that a "public" forum is not really a public place. Think of it more like a pub or restaurant.
You don't have to like the food (Project CARS) that the cook (SMS) made. But if you're yelling and insulting the cook (SMS), waitress (mods) or other guests (forum members) you'll get booted out of the door.

IrideGravity
18-05-2015, 20:54
It's pretty simple IMO. Stay away from insults, don't spam the forums (in short: obey the forum rules) and you don't have to worry about anything.

People must keep in mind that a "public" forum is not really a public place. Think of it more like a pub or restaurant.
You don't have to like the food (Project CARS) that the cook (SMS) made. But if you're yelling and insulting the cook (SMS), waitress (mods) or other guests (forum members) you'll get booted out of the door.

Oh, so YOU guys decide WHO your done with and when, the why is not important. Got it.
sMH. You know the word pub was drawn from public house?
And it's nothing like a pub or restaurant. A better analogy would involve that Korean dude with his own country.
A restaurant has to be worried about discrimination lawsuits and have a legit reason. The moderators here apparently do not need a legit reason to raise the ban hammer.

If you would speak specifically to the point and the content of what he said. That would be great. Unless over generalised non specific ban threats are to be expected here.

LordDRIFT
18-05-2015, 20:56
This thread is prodding.

Bealdor
18-05-2015, 20:56
Oh, so YOU guys decide WHO your done with and when, the why is not important. Got it.
sMH

What are talking about? Do you believe that a WMD member will not get banned if he can't behave?
I just explained how a public forum works or better said, should work.

Krazee DD
18-05-2015, 20:58
sMH.
And it's nothing like a pub or restaurant. A better analogy would involve that Korean dude with his own country.

Thats how all forums (especially ones attached to business) are. His analogy was pretty good, you CAN walk into Subway and start yellin profanity at the workers but they CAN throw you right out for it.

Umer Ahmad
18-05-2015, 20:58
What is this?

I dont even have power to ban anyone. I gave out 2 infractions so far for dirty language. Thats it.

I was giving advice how NOT to get kicked out of here. My goal is for us to have a large and positive community of serious racers (works better for me in the long run too).

Is anyone here confused about the rules of the forum and how to behave around here? I think there's a link for that

Pink_650S
18-05-2015, 20:59

:D l have to remember that restaurant comparison, it fits very well!

Umer Ahmad
18-05-2015, 20:59
Ah here it is

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?25307-Forum-Rules-Please-read

lol only 200 views #SMH

Krazee DD
18-05-2015, 21:05
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd381/tumblrstuff/10fwets.gif (http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/tumblrstuff/media/10fwets.gif.html)

IrideGravity
18-05-2015, 21:07
What is this?

I dont even have power to ban anyone. I gave out 2 infractions so far for dirty language. Thats it.

I was giving advice how NOT to get kicked out of here. My goal is for us to have a large and positive community of serious racers (works better for me in the long run too).

Is anyone here confused about the rules of the forum and how to behave around here? I think there's a link for that

I'm confused as to why u threatened a ban with nothing specific mentioned about anyone specific. If I were treading lightly on the rules to instigate a warning, I should know, but a warning was issued without a name or reason. Seems bad moderating to me.

Glad you all like the analogy, but umer was not calling anyone out for yelling or profanity. He appears to be saying keep your voices down period since he has no specific instance or infraction he cares to share. Umer must be a bartender. ;)

Bealdor
18-05-2015, 21:08
sMH. You know the word pub was drawn from public house?
A restaurant has to be worried about discrimination lawsuits and have a legit reason. The moderators here apparently do not need a legit reason to raise the ban hammer.

If you would speak specifically to the point and the content of what he said. That would be great. Unless over generalised non specific ban threats are to be expected here.

Please go to the next pub and yell at the owner that his whyskey sucks and the food tastes like s**t and see how long you're allowed to stay there...

Umer Ahmad
18-05-2015, 21:14
I'm confused as to why u threatened a ban with nothing specific mentioned about anyone specific. If I were treading lightly on the rules to instigate a warning, I should know, but a warning was issued without a name or reason. Seems bad moderating to me.

Glad you all like the analogy, but umer was not calling anyone out for yelling or profanity. He appears to be saying keep your voices down period since he has no specific instance or infraction he cares to share.
Did u click the link? Those are the specific instances (insulting anyone including SMS or other members is top of the list)

I honestly think you're hyper-analyzing my statements, go read the link and come back. All it says is to behave and be polite. The bar is quite low on behavior here, nothing difficult .

Sp4mD4gger
18-05-2015, 21:28
People, as an ex moderator an another forum I can assure you that the guys have been patient with some of the abusive language used lately. Now it is time to get the bug stick out and squash the small minority that abuse the patience if the moderators. A public forum is for all ages, there is no adult filter.
We all know that people are disappointed with the product as is. It is being sorted out. There is no magic wand, we have no Gandalf, patience is a virtue.

trancend
18-05-2015, 21:29
What if were upset about spending $60 on an unusable product that doesnt work properly with a pad, the default input device used on a console, which I purchased this game for.

Krazee DD
18-05-2015, 21:30
What if were upset about spending $60 on an unusable product that doesnt work properly with a pad, the default input device used on a console, which I purchased this game for.

Thats fine. There are ways (believe it or not) that you can express anger and frustration without resorting to name calling and derogatory comments.

Bealdor
18-05-2015, 21:33

You have all the right to complain about this here IN A CIVIL MANNER according to the forum rules. :)

KK78
18-05-2015, 21:40
Mods appear really soft on here imo, no accounting for moral outrage though.

Feetabix
18-05-2015, 21:42
There have only been 200 views of the rules link because, to most adults in the free speaking world most of us live in, the need for a little courtesy and respect is clearly understood........

Umer Ahmad
18-05-2015, 21:44
Look, it's all a bit emotional right now. Personally i dont want to see people getting punted Texas-Walker-Ranger-style, there are some issues with the software. I've already seen some posts of guys gone 180 soon as they get some settings working.

In the end we want a large, positive community of racers and we want everyone to enjoy project cars. Everyone that WANTS to enjoy it. Cant help you if you dont like racing games and you just shelled out $50

Ideas are welcome, feedback is weclome, bug reports are welcome. Insults are not.

HarryHoodlum
18-05-2015, 21:48
Mods here are cool as any forum out there. Granted one of the forums I frequent is basically "anything goes", I know how to have manners too. You're gonna have to do something real dumb to get banned here.

IrideGravity
18-05-2015, 22:10
Please go to the next pub and yell at the owner that his whyskey sucks and the food tastes like s**t and see how long you're allowed to stay there...

My wife gives away food every night to people who politely say their food sucks. Nice try though. Still not sure who was being warned, if anyone. And why. The people where she works have no problem standing up to a customer when their justified. That said. She gives away something every night, and she doesn't know of a single person 86'd the whole time she's worked there. They don't even 86 the people who they know are looking for a free meal when they come in and complain every time. So long a as they are not loud, offensive or profane. Still unclear of the criteria umer was using when he threatened a ban for people complaining.

IrideGravity
18-05-2015, 22:14
Look, it's all a bit emotional right now. Personally i dont want to see people getting punted Texas-Walker-Ranger-style, there are some issues with the software. I've already seen some posts of guys gone 180 soon as they get some settings working.

In the end we want a large, positive community of racers and we want everyone to enjoy project cars. Everyone that WANTS to enjoy it. Cant help you if you dont like racing games and you just shelled out $50

Ideas are welcome, feedback is weclome, bug reports are welcome. Insults are not.

In the future umar. I would advise to be a little more careful and if you have something specific to speak to or warn about, then do so.
But unfounded generalised threats are not welcoming by any means and they can create confusion about what might have been done to deserve such a warning.

Umer Ahmad
18-05-2015, 22:14
Did u click the link in post # 10 above in this thread?

madmax2069
18-05-2015, 22:16
If you can't follow the rules then you deserve what you get.

Slinging crap back and forth will get you nowhere quickly, well it will get you banned pretty quickly if you keep it up after being warned.

Shinzah
18-05-2015, 22:17
My wife gives away food every night to people who politely say their food sucks. Nice try though. Still not sure who was being warned, if anyone. And why. The people where she works have no problem standing up to a customer when their justified. That said. She gives away something every night, and she doesn't know of a single person 86'd the whole time she's worked there. They don't even 86 the people who they know are looking for a free meal when they come in and complain every time. So long a as they are not loud, offensive or profane. Still unclear of the criteria umer was using when he threatened a ban for people complaining.

Um.

Exactly.

IrideGravity
18-05-2015, 22:22
Did u click the link? Those are the specific instances (insulting anyone including SMS or other members is top of the list)

I honestly think you're hyper-analyzing my statements, go read the link and come back. All it says is to behave and be polite. The bar is quite low on behavior here, nothing difficult .

No.have not read. And why would I read about the moderators discretion? I count on moderators to do their job when it comes to a less than clear policy, " with the bar set low " and clarify what it is specifically wrong with a certain post or user.
That's not the MO here. Mod still won't clarify if he was even speaking to anything specific, so we just have to take it as. Watch your step, don't complain to loud or you will be asked to leave.
I get it. I'm in PCars land and get in line with the mods, or get kicked, but we're not gonna tell you where the line is.
OK. Whatever

Ian Bell
18-05-2015, 22:22

Guys, it's not about complaining. It's the manner in which you complain. This should be evident to all by now. Umer does a great job with no salary and deserves more patience.

I appreciate those that give it.

Thanks.

t0daY
18-05-2015, 22:25
Can we just close this thread?! Again someone trying to make some bad air here... As i can say, Umer Ahmad doin a perfect job here and in the wmd forum, thank you very much for your work :) (finally I can tell you that :D)

KK78
18-05-2015, 22:26
In the future umar. I would advise to be a little more careful and if you have something specific to speak to or warn about, then do so.
But unfounded generalised threats are not welcoming by any means and they can create confusion about what might have been done to deserve such a warning.

With respect you are arguably making mountains out of molehills, he merely said in a thread, which had all the hallmarks of getting into the not helpful/potentially abusive territory, that everyone should remain within the confines of constructive criticism/fair dialogue- that's how I read it anyway. Yet you feel the need to dedicate an entire thread to calling him out on something which you believe to be 'threatening' by ironically telling him to 'be a little more careful..'

In short, it's all a bit pointless don't you think?

I am sure you will disagree but I'm not here to argue, as you say everyone should be able to have a view so there's mine.

IrideGravity
18-05-2015, 22:26
If you can't follow the rules then you deserve what you get.

Slinging crap back and forth will get you nowhere quickly, well it will get you banned pretty quickly if you keep it up after being warned.

This us a hilarious analogy of this whole forum right now. Just a bunch of poop slinging. Fits the product. Hope the forum grows up with the game. Yes this is more poop slinging. No I don't understand the extent to which poop flinging will get you in trouble.

o Mike V o
18-05-2015, 22:27
dont be a dick and you wont have problems, just like any other forum.

Ian Bell
18-05-2015, 22:28
Can we just close this thread?! Again someone trying to make some bad air here... As i can say, Umer Ahmad doin a perfect job here and in the wmd forum, thank you very much for your work :) (finally I can tell you that :D)

No, let's leave it open so all of the sensible people can thank Umer for his unpaid contribution!

Ian Bell
18-05-2015, 22:29
This us a hilarious analogy of this whole forum right now. Just a bunch of poop slinging. Fits the product. Hope the forum grows up with the game. Yes this is more poop slinging. No I don't understand the extent to which poop flinging will get you in trouble.

Let me explain then in clear terms. Any more crap from you and you're out.

t0daY
18-05-2015, 22:29
No, let's leave it open so all of the sensible people can thank Umer for his unpaid contribution!

Thats even a better idea!! :)

Roger Prynne
18-05-2015, 22:30
So we have gone from insulting SMS and WMD to insulting the mods now.... what next?
IrideGravity have you been threatened with an infraction or a ban yourself? if not then you might very SMSoon.

And yes Umer does a great job as do all the other mods and have done for a long time.

IrideGravity
18-05-2015, 22:35
Guys, it's not about complaining. It's the manner in which you complain. This should be evident to all by now. Umer does a great job with no salary and deserves more patience.

Thanks.

He spoke to nothing specific, but should have. Otherwise we're not having this conversation. Don't know what part is flying over your head about SPECIFICS and why they are important.
Specifically, it seems a moderator can decide you have offended him and it's time to leave, even though your just chattering annoyingly in the corner of the restaurant. Until he says what specifically got his attention, he blew it and maybe could have worded it different. No rules were broken, but he stepped in to shut people up just minding their own business.

Shinzah
18-05-2015, 22:37

I am afraid you may have forgotten how to be a decent human being while in public spaces. Perhaps your kind and generous wife who is handing out free food to polite individuals can explain the level that defines being harsh but fair, and being a dick for the sake of being a dick.

You may also want to click this link: http://*******/1IIhARd

And since I didn't before. Thank you Umer for your moderatorship. You're doing a great job.

IrideGravity
18-05-2015, 22:37

noted. Enjoy your piece of it. Peace out. Big boy.

Krazee DD
18-05-2015, 22:38

http://i.giphy.com/iFVvCSvSICc9i.gif

IrideGravity
18-05-2015, 22:38
Make it disappear now

Ian Bell
18-05-2015, 22:39
He spoke to nothing specific, but should have. Otherwise we're not having this conversation. Don't know what part is flying over your head about SPECIFICS and why they are important.
Specifically, it seems a moderator can decide you have offended him and it's time to leave, even though your just chattering annoyingly in the corner of the restaurant. Until he says what specifically got his attention, he blew it and maybe could have worded it different. No rules were broken, but he stepped in to shut people up just minding their own business.

Yes, that's pretty much how it works. If you're an ass we'll find you out and remove you.

Ian Bell
18-05-2015, 22:39
http://i.giphy.com/iFVvCSvSICc9i.gif

Actually, keep him in for a cracking gif.

Ian Bell
18-05-2015, 22:42
Actually, keep him in for a cracking gif.

I've just realised that it wasn't indeGravity who posted the gif.

Nothing to see here....

Neil Hopwood
18-05-2015, 22:44

Thanks.

My first though when I saw the thread was WTF? I can't imagine Umer abusing his newly found mod powers, he's always seemed like a stand up guy*.

*even if he does keep saying he's gonna come down for the Grand Prix and then not, Geez Family, what kinda excuse is that /s

Ian Bell
18-05-2015, 22:47
My first though when I saw the thread was WTF? I can't imagine Umer abusing his newly found mod powers, he's always seemed like a stand up guy*.

*even if he does keep saying he's gonna come down for the Grand Prix and then not, Geez Family, what kinda excuse is that /s

Indeed. I think anyone who has issues with Umer has issues.

Krazee DD
18-05-2015, 22:47
I've just realised that it wasn't indeGravity who posted the gif.

Nothing to see here....

HAHA dont scare me like that. Had me lookin back to see what I did hahahaha

Slicker_VR
18-05-2015, 22:57

it was never a secret that this game was being developed for steering wheels, of course they had to include pad support, but it's a driving sim - do you drive your roadcar with a joypad? ... didn't think so! so it's always going to be better on a wheel - obvious

Titzon Toast
18-05-2015, 22:59
I actually think Umer's comment was directed at myself and another guy yesterday.
It seemed fair to me at the time anyway!

Slicker_VR
18-05-2015, 23:07

listen, mate - you're clearly a bit of a whinger, you started in the 'race officials' thread, apparently deliberately misunderstanding everything i posted and accusing me of elitism so perhaps, just perhaps, it's you that's the problem here, it certainly doesn't appear to be umer

Patrik Marek
18-05-2015, 23:12
Umer and all the other mods are doing fantastic job keeping these forums civil. and they do it on there free time and aren't payed /compensated for that

rather then starting new thread about something that doesn't make any sense, you should rather spend the time reading the forum rules

Pink_650S
18-05-2015, 23:35
Cant believe this useless thread made it to 6 pages :confused:

Helmethead1031
19-05-2015, 00:31
Unfortunately it was my created thread that originally caused the disagreement. I think some assume they can say whatever they want in this "public" forum forgetting its SMS's "public" forum and their rules apply.

cornishbrooksy
19-05-2015, 01:51
To bring this thread more positive....

Cheers Umer, and all of the other mods, for your outstanding contribution over the last few years. Keeping us rowdy lot in line is no easy task.

McKiernan
19-05-2015, 03:00
Cant believe this useless thread made it to 6 pages :confused:

I can't believe I read all six pages :hypnotysed:

Since I'm here posting, I may as well thank Umer and the other Mods. Keep up the good work.

Umer Ahmad
19-05-2015, 03:22
Thank you all. I believe everyone has the correct link on forum rules. Post # 10

Closing thread as it's become too much of a distraction. Lets get back to discussing project cars and helping each other out with various configs and settings.

edit: my comments in the OP were not directed to any particular person. I'd simply like to see a bit less emotion around here if possible and the maximum participants remain in this forum and enjoying the game.