PDA

View Full Version : Proper Usage of Deadzones

trancend
18-05-2015, 21:41
I originally thought this was a preference thing until I stumbled across a post somewhere and the person mentioned "set deadzone for stick or trigger play", which makes perfect sense.

I see many pad configs using deadzone liberally, but beware, the more deadzone, the less usable input range and therefore the higher the sensitivity.

For example, if steering deadzone is set to 90, then there is only a tiny usable input range at the very extreme left or right, which would make steering extremely sensitive and very hard to hold driving lines (this goes for throttle and feathering too).

gbm
19-05-2015, 02:02
the deadzone setting is for you to tell the hardware how much "deadzone" (or nothing happening) you would like when moving the wheel/pressing the gas/brake etc.

a low # means that the input begins to register immediately, whereas a higher # requires more turn/push, etc. (in other words, creating a "deadzone")

trancend
19-05-2015, 02:18
In my OP, everything said was for pads. Deadzone could have more uses for wheels, like setting a small one for steering so the wheel doesnt osscilate violently, and make it eaiser to stay in straight lines. I guess pedals could be set as a preference, like if you drive with both feet and rest your left foot on the break pedal, a little deadzone would help there too.

HarryHoodlum
19-05-2015, 02:31
the deadzone setting is for you to tell the hardware how much "deadzone" (or nothing happening) you would like when moving the wheel/pressing the gas/brake etc.

a low # means that the input begins to register immediately, whereas a higher # requires more turn/push, etc. (in other words, creating a "deadzone")

Right. I think he's saying your 0-100% is contained in a smaller segment of the controller's movement. On a short PS4 thumbstick, this could make things hard to control when the minute difference in two different positions of the stick create large changes to the in-game car.

MULTIVITZ
19-05-2015, 10:29
Its for sloppy worn pads. Dead zones stop wandering steering, dragging brakes, etc.