PDA

View Full Version : tuning setup offline vs online

dav1980rfc
18-05-2015, 23:22
A couple of times ive thought I had a car setup how I wanted it, good lap times in practice and got a good feel for it. Then ive took it online and im all over the shop, I mean the car feels completely different online to what it did offline.

Ive been playing with the assists off, and even when I join a session with assists on I get this completely different feel to the car. What could be causing this? Ive definitely saved my setups.

ford_racer
19-05-2015, 00:41
Are you developing your tunes while doing free practice?

Often, people will tune a car to perfection, then get into an actual race and have it handle horribly. It seems like most of the time this is because you get into situations that you wouldn't be in while tuning the car by yourself.

Maybe you're a car length more to the inside of a corner thanks to another car taking up the outside of the straight. Now you're rhythm is thrown off as compared to when you were racing by yourself. You're going to need to brake a little sooner, keep an eye on that other car through the whole corner, and you're turn in point is off.

Perhaps you are racing someone who is just naturally faster. He brake deeper, turns later, and gets on the gas earlier. You start driving harder, and find your car won't stick. It's not sharp enough to handle the later turn in, or doesn't have soft enough rear springs/dampers to handle the earlier throttle application.

If it's not the car, maybe it's the track. I've not read anything about how PCars handles different conditions, but the track temperature can definitely affect the car's handling. If the track is too cold as compared to when you tuned it, the car could feel like it's on ice.

Finally, it could just be the assists like you say. I'm a lot slower in GT3 cars with traction control on than I am with it on. If you rely on that extra power earlier in the corner to set your car up, the traction control could ruin it all for you because it senses slip and thinks you're in trouble when you aren't.

My advice is practice. Try and recognize conditions where you notice there is trouble. Did the TCS kick on there? Did you hit your braking point or miss it a bit? Noticing things like that is the first step in correcting the problem.

dav1980rfc
19-05-2015, 07:34
Thanks for the detailed reply. I think it must be a little bit of everything you mentioned. Obviously the drive in a race is different but I hadnt thought about track temps. Your last point aboit the traction control makes a lot of sense and I think ill just need to find sessions with no assists. Problem is you cant search for that...

Outlier
19-05-2015, 17:40
I was told that if you tune a car in a practice session it will save the setup for that track only so when you switch tracks you need to make the changes again. I haven't tested to confirm that is right but if so, it could be what is happening to you??? Perhaps you are tuning off line but your tune is not carrying over to on-line? I'm just taking a wild guess - I haven't had much of a chance to test anything in Pcars yet. Let us know what you find though.

hkraft300
21-05-2015, 13:19
What ford racer said :)

Also that performance anxiety/adrenaline/pressure has an affect. Some guys can qualify on pole and sit in the top 10 of every leaderboard but fall apart in a race. It happens.

We all suffer stage fright some times :)

I was told that if you tune a car in a practice session it will save the setup for that track only so when you switch tracks you need to make the changes again. I haven't tested to confirm that is right but if so, it could be what is happening to you??? Perhaps you are tuning off line but your tune is not carrying over to on-line? I'm just taking a wild guess - I haven't had much of a chance to test anything in Pcars yet. Let us know what you find though.

Each setup you save is specific to that track. you can manually save the setup for multiple tracks as well, but unless you do that your setup won't carry over.

HBR-Roadhog
21-05-2015, 19:52
Yep I can confirm that practice session saves for the current track only. I took a car with no tune on it to Road America, made a few tweaks, saved then exited and went to my garage. I chose the load tune option and Road America was the only one that showed. I then loaded that tune, looked at it to confirm it had the tweaks I had made and then hit save. I went to the specific location part and it showed only one track with a tune saved for it which of course was Road America. So once I confirmed it then I went back to the save option and selected all then saved it and now the tweaks appear no matter which track I enter.

If you tested on say Road America and get it just right save it then go online and enter a race at Willow Springs you will be doing so with default settings. Unless of course you also did a setup for Willow Springs or saved a setup to all in which case you would be using whatever is under Willow Springs at the time.

dav1980rfc
21-05-2015, 22:21
Ive definitely saved the setups to all tracks, it just seems different on race day. Probs a combination of the assists being on and a bit of pressure from opponents. I think it would be helpful if we could search For lobbys eith assists off. I feel more comfortable driving with them off. Thank you all for your input.

MULTIVITZ
22-05-2015, 10:43
Its early days. Many people have very wayward handling grip tunes that will swerve into you and off the track. Don't be put off by them. Once theres some good tunes floating about, the children will want to play with each other, leaving the bigger kids to have fun. A race on this game is more like a ritual, you may have success playing it slam bam thankyou maam, but its going to get quite competitive in long term play.

Eric Bergeret
22-05-2015, 11:03
Ive definitely saved the setups to all tracks, it just seems different on race day. Probs a combination of the assists being on and a bit of pressure from opponents. I think it would be helpful if we could search For lobbys eith assists off. I feel more comfortable driving with them off. Thank you all for your input.
and what about finally put lobby on real aids, and people who want play harcore only have to set the button to remove aids, and make a mess in first corner because they can't handle a gt3 whitout aids.
"car is not build to run whitout it".
rigth now almost all lobby are all aids off , damage off etcc.... that is not simulation whit aids off or damage off, only hardcore mode or arcade "tired to say this".

ps: yeah they was always a diffrence in racing game grip, online or offline is a different feeling.

MULTIVITZ
22-05-2015, 11:04
A couple of times ive thought I had a car setup how I wanted it, good lap times in practice and got a good feel for it. Then ive took it online and im all over the shop, I mean the car feels completely different online to what it did offline.

Ive been playing with the assists off, and even when I join a session with assists on I get this completely different feel to the car. What could be causing this? Ive definitely saved my setups.

I totally agree. I found I had to read the ins and out of every race lobby before entry, then once I was in. Lesson learned. GT3 have ABS and TCS! Tyre warmers are not provided for all cars, so tuning requires you to warm the tyres through when you start free practice. Even if you put tyre wear up to x7 they still warm up the same! Warm tyres, try corner (or whatever), return to pit, adjust(whatever), warm tyres, try corner, return to pit, adjust, along the pit lane, warm tyres, return to pit, adjust..........................................anyone know of a faster way? I personally don't mind it, it tends to put people off tuning, but I really don't mind doing it. The results are the reward for me. If it helps my offline play great, if I get on the leaderboards better, if my friends smash the leaderboard with my setup then thats the icing on the cake for me.

Eric Bergeret
22-05-2015, 11:07
I totally agree. I found I had to read the ins and out of every race lobby before entry, then once I was in. Lesson learned. GT3 have ABS and TCS! Tyre warmers are not provided for all cars, so tuning requires you to warm the tyres through when you start free practice. Even if you put tyre wear up to x7 they still warm up the same! Warm tyres, try corner (or whatever), return to pit, adjust(whatever), warm tyres, try corner, return to pit, adjust, along the pit lane, warm tyres, return to pit, adjust..........................................anyone know of a faster way? I personally don't mind it, it tends to put people off tuning, but I really don't mind doing it. The results are the reward for me. If it helps my offline play great, if I get on the leaderboards better, if my friends smash the leaderboard with my setup then thats the icing on the cake for me.
you can add Sc for the z4 gt3 :p

hkraft300
25-05-2015, 09:11
Warm tyres, try corner (or whatever), return to pit, adjust(whatever), warm tyres, try corner, return to pit, adjust, along the pit lane, warm tyres, return to pit, adjust..........................................anyone know of a faster way?

That's the grind for tuning, my friend! I tend to get this out of the way in free practice mode, or fine tweaks during practice/qualifying for an online race.

In an online lobby without practice/qualifying, I always go to the "choose car" menu, then "my garage" (Triangle button for PS4), choose my car and livery, then I load the setup for whatever track we race. That way I know my chosen setup has loaded (not a default) and I get the livery I want :)

Tedious, but I'm a little OCD...

HBR-Roadhog
25-05-2015, 13:27
I totally agree. I found I had to read the ins and out of every race lobby before entry, then once I was in. Lesson learned. GT3 have ABS and TCS! Tyre warmers are not provided for all cars, so tuning requires you to warm the tyres through when you start free practice. Even if you put tyre wear up to x7 they still warm up the same! Warm tyres, try corner (or whatever), return to pit, adjust(whatever), warm tyres, try corner, return to pit, adjust, along the pit lane, warm tyres, return to pit, adjust..........................................anyone know of a faster way?

I have been using Time Trial mode there you start with warm tires so you don't need to drive the lap or 2 to warm them up but you do have to exit to tune then re enter the time trial. It is quicker than having to warm the tires each time though.

could_do_better
25-05-2015, 13:39
I do not know if it works but the session filter lets you choose Novice, Amateur, Pro. I thought this was intended to allow you to find sessions with different levels of aids allowed/disabled.

Yes the GT3 series allows ABS in real life so with Driving aids set to real you will get ABS, you can always turn it off though, I drive without any aids in all the cars. Probably why I'm so slow, but its the way i like it.

That's where PCARS excels, the learning curve is steep, there are still plenty of issues and features to be added, but ultimately over the next 2-3 years you are still going to be coming back for more.

I purchased RACE07 in 2009 for 5GBP and I've probably played it more than any game since Revs and Elite on my old BBC Micro. I only stopped playing regularly when PCARS online features started being available to WMD.

If you really enjoy online racing, there are a lot of communities organising race series and one off races, my advice is get involved in one of them where you'll find like minded people who'll race by the same same rules as you. The public forums are great for a quick blast but can certainly be frustrating too.

I was in a race at Spa last night where 12 people played by the rules and one idiot parked across the last turn and tried to ram all that dared to come past, for the whole of a 10 lap race! Who would want to waste 25 minutes of their life doing that!

Eric Bergeret
24-06-2015, 13:56
in fact the car is much faster whitout aids, but also more dangerous "that explain you why you see all public lobby finsih into crash in 1 corner ....".

the hard part is to do a hot lap whit the real aids on, that is more difficult to do.

HewisLamilton6
25-06-2015, 11:57
That's the grind for tuning, my friend! I tend to get this out of the way in free practice mode, or fine tweaks during practice/qualifying for an online race.

In an online lobby without practice/qualifying, I always go to the "choose car" menu, then "my garage" (Triangle button for PS4), choose my car and livery, then I load the setup for whatever track we race. That way I know my chosen setup has loaded (not a default) and I get the livery I want :)

Tedious, but I'm a little OCD...

You learn something new everyday they say!! Thank you!!!

justonce68
25-06-2015, 13:47
I would say its down to assist on or off in lobby

hkraft300
25-06-2015, 14:12
I would say its down to assist on or off in lobby

You will only get assists if the lobby forces real assists. Otherwise of you have assists off, they won't come on online.

Innerspace_HQ
25-06-2015, 16:35
Some guys can qualify on pole and sit in the top 10 of every leaderboard but fall apart in a race. It happens.

I'd agree with this. I know a few people who are insanely quick over one lap but have very little racecraft and fall apart under *ahem* pressure from behind.

MULTIVITZ
01-07-2015, 09:49
You mean like........ some sort of gay racer?
Yeah, I know some players like that, but try not to associate with them.

hkraft300
01-07-2015, 11:33
You mean like........ some sort of gay racer?
Yeah, I know some players like that, but try not to associate with them.

Each to their own mate I keep out of other people's bedroom business if I can avoid it :p

MULTIVITZ
01-07-2015, 15:50
Each to their own mate I keep out of other people's bedroom business if I can avoid it :p

I thought you liked a bit of stalking mate?
You keep popping up everywhere:rolleyes:

hkraft300
01-07-2015, 17:39
Love it! Haha
Stalking hardly requires physical presence in one's bedroom now ;)

trishakotelchuk
18-12-2015, 11:55
When setup offline, everything feels the same physics wise. Online instantly feels a bit different, less grip overall, especially in a race. I've noticed I'm a few seconds slower on long tracks, and cars slide more easily. It seems like a small reduction on tire grip, going up one tire resolves it as far as I can tell. For all those that put RS on everything, I'm not sure how they could even notice...

Main differences are tires and aero. I don't know what's different, it's just what I noticed. There's also input lag, so for aero it makes a huge difference.

hkraft300
18-12-2015, 15:56
Time of day/date difference?
A winter track feels different to a summer track.
Every time I set up a lobby I have to set the calendar to race date.
There is definitely a reduction in down force when slip streaming.

Pfalzdriver
18-12-2015, 17:17
Could be a reason, hkraft300, but imho thatz also one of those million things, which are completely off at MP. I've wrote this around two or three weeks ago, and I blame myself I've missed this thread.
I've setup the Gina GT4, drove it for dozen of round "offline" and the car felt fine. Same setup at a MP session, I brake before a corner, no other car within two seconds, and the Gina oversteers. Never happened before. So as I said, one of a million things we need to live with. :(

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
18-12-2015, 17:38
I can't say I've ever felt a significant difference between online and offline, I always use the same setups for both and always hit the same times, and the cars always feel the same. =/

Though I do make 100% certain to always save my setup in the lobby, and before leaving the pits when possible.

hkraft300
19-12-2015, 00:30
^ me too
Could be loading the wrong setup, or none. Forced default setup lobby maybe? My setups load and save properly and I've never felt a difference unless ambient conditions are different.
Many Xbox and some ps4 guys do have setup load/save issues. Double check to be sure I guess.

Pfalzdriver
19-12-2015, 05:54
Neither nor, mates. :)

It doesnt happen in every race, but since Patch 6.0 the quantity has increased. There are minor differences, which are explainable by track conditions, fuel amount, tire wear, etc. But there are also days, when my setup is completely off, even after I rechecked at the pit. And it is veeeery annoying if your car feels fine during practice and quali, and behaves completely different in the race. Maybe a syncing problem, dunno.

But now, thinking about the occurrences, this usually happens after I had to "fix" the Fast Ratio Bug with ALT TAB, which also only occurs in MP, confirmed by many ppl. :)

tonypbeck
19-12-2015, 16:39
I used to experience this when I started playing Project Cars. I used to use Free Practice to setup the car and then when Online it handled awful. Then I was told to setup a lobby and use the Warm Up to set the car up as this will be the closest to race conditions as you can get. Haven't had problems since.

hkraft300
19-12-2015, 23:38
^ that sounds like a green vs rubbered track issue. Subtle, but enough to throw you off.
I like tuning and learning a car in FP, though. Track has more consistent grip across the surface.
Try going from FP to TT mode and take a different line: you'll notice a slight but sudden drop in grip off the racing line.

Pfalzdriver
20-12-2015, 06:36
*sigh*

Since I always know the exact settings (Date, Time, Wheather, Track, etc.) of our community races, I always setup my car for these conditions, create a lobby myself and test the setup with exactly those conditions. And still the car behaves slightly different as soon as the real race comes up. And sometimes it behaves completely different. And trust me, I checked and rechecked since weeks, because I usually search for the mistake at my side first. :)

hkraft300
20-12-2015, 07:56
Race day nerves?
Happens to everyone, bud. No shame in it :p
Since you've ruled out every other possibility...
Sometimes I'll over drive the car from pressure and adrenaline. Feels all sorts wrong.
Only thing left to do is keep calm and race on :)

Pfalzdriver
20-12-2015, 11:17
Not really. hkraft300. Our community races are just for fun, but still I dont wanna end up being last. ;)

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?42980-MP-still-not-working-after-all-this-time-on-XBOX-Really&p=1194364&viewfull=1#post1194364
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?42670-Multiplayer-Weird-stuff&p=1187540&viewfull=1#post1187540

Just two posts describing the same. For sure there are more somewhere at the board. But I'm not in the mood anymore to report this over and over again, because either the devs at SMS arent able to fix it or they just dont care.

N0body Of The Goat
20-12-2015, 13:07
Could this be down to the track rubbering in effect during the actual online race?

hkraft300
20-12-2015, 13:41
Could this be down to the track rubbering in effect during the actual online race?

That's the only other possibility.
I got race nerves when I'm doing club races with the Aussie region guys - no league, no prizes but stories to tell, banter and giggles. Performance anxiety. Stage freight. Whatever you call it. Just saying it happens.
It's the racer within us. Wouldn't really be playing this game otherwise, would we? :)

Pfalzdriver
20-12-2015, 15:05

Doubtful, Mate. If it was something intended, it should happen in every race. But this happens very random. You do a couple of races and you arent affected by a different behavior. And you do another race and you a different car.