PDA

View Full Version : Game development Documentary - Must see for all the negative posters

durdre
19-05-2015, 00:39
I am really dissapointed with all the negativity on these forums :( and personally I am really enjoying Project Cars on Xbox One even though it has bugs.

I would strongly encourage people who are posting negative comments and personal insults to have a look at this Game Development Documentary:-

Double Fine Adventure

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIhLvue17Sd7F6pU2ByRRb0igiI-WKk3D

A three-year journey spanning eighteen (and counting) episodes, the Double Fine Adventure documentary chronicles the creation of “Broken Age,” from a germ of an idea in Tim Schafer’s notebook to a finished game and beyond. Along the way, the team is confronted with production delays, internal strife, and outside controversy in what is the most honest, in-depth look at video game development ever created. Previously exclusive to Double Fine’s Kickstarter backers, now everyone can share in the passion, humor, and heartbreak of this landmark documentary series.

This to me seems like a similar journey to the one which Slightly Mad Studios has taken with Project Cars and this Documentary has certainly provided me with a huge amount of information about Game Development and the challenges which a developer facees.

Personally, I am really pleased that Project Cars is trying to be innovative and push the boundaries of the technology for Sim Racing on Consoles and I think if everyone shows a bit more patience we will end up with an amazing Racing Sim :).

t0daY
19-05-2015, 00:43
Nice words! Really nice attitude! We need more people thinking like you here :) :)

*edit* watching now the first episode of the Double Fine Adventure :P good night ;)

TomekCB
19-05-2015, 04:40
Where is this game pushing boundaries? They ported it to console without testing and put a early access product full price in shelves.

I enjoy the driving when it works but they should not lie to us about how finished it is. Ask me if I want support an unfinished game before you take my money. Never heard about how unfinished it is pre release.
When Ubisoft release a unfinished product it's a bad company. But when sms do all seem to forget we paid for this. I bought this game to have fun. Half the time I have to fight bugs and search solutions online. That's not what I paid for. When I buy a car or tv and it's full of breaking bugs like this, nobody would tell me to support BMW how to fix this. But when it's a game I pay to work on it?
That's such a fucked up attitude. And with threads like this nothing will change.
And now fanboys tell me to sell the game and leave the forum. I love gaming and play since the early 80s but the direction this industry and my favorite hobby takes the last few years is ridiculous. Perhaps we need to pirate games again. What's the point in buying a game and dealing with bugs for months?

DUST2DEATH
19-05-2015, 05:13
Tomek,

We have differing perspectives here.

WMD members have had bugs and worse since the beginning, so we are used to it. Another bug is just eh, to a WMD member. However, I do understand your perspective as a new customer of the product.

Things happen, frankly. You could see many WMD members taking up an aggressive approach to all the "WMD did nothing", as that is simply untrue. We tested, we reported, not everything was dealt with before release. Doesnt mean we didnt do anything now does it?

As for bugged games, name 1 major game that released with no bugs in the last year. As software (an by default, game dev) becomes more complex, more moving parts, more bugs are a natural progression. You think whatever the retail price was is steep price of admission with bugs? Try forking out for a full CAD package thats bugged.

I cant think of a single racing title that is doing anything remotely as complex as pcars. Its not an excuse, it is however, reality.

Pirating games isnt the answer either.

Sparky28
19-05-2015, 06:40
I really don't understand this game breaking bugs every1 goes on about every game has some bugs
Maybe it's becuase I'm on pc the bugs dont seem an issue for me

madmax2069
19-05-2015, 07:14
Tomek,

We have differing perspectives here.

WMD members have had bugs and worse since the beginning, so we are used to it. Another bug is just eh, to a WMD member. However, I do understand your perspective as a new customer of the product.

Things happen, frankly. You could see many WMD members taking up an aggressive approach to all the "WMD did nothing", as that is simply untrue. We tested, we reported, not everything was dealt with before release. Doesnt mean we didnt do anything now does it?

As for bugged games, name 1 major game that released with no bugs in the last year. As software (an by default, game dev) becomes more complex, more moving parts, more bugs are a natural progression. You think whatever the retail price was is steep price of admission with bugs? Try forking out for a full CAD package thats bugged.

I cant think of a single racing title that is doing anything remotely as complex as pcars. Its not an excuse, it is however, reality.

Pirating games isnt the answer either.

Agreed, no such thing as perfect code, even back in the days of 8bit gaming games had bugs and glitches. It can be argued about complexity because assembly language is pretty difficult in itself, and even with the higher level language many games use today male it slightly easier, but the mass amount of code makes it difficult. Fix one thing which causes something else to break.

Some people just dont understand how hard it really is to program, and even harder to get it free of bugs (but its still not bug free even if it looks like it is).

Back in the day if you launched a game and it had a bug in it it was more difficult to get fixed due to no easy way of patching, at least today we have the infrastructure and the means to distribute a patch relatively easy.

No one can think of a game that was bug free, cause none exist.

Ironfistedmonk
19-05-2015, 07:31
Was the name of that game Broken Age? Quite ironic that :D

In any other industry no one would begrudge a consumer complaining if the product they bought didn't work properly, I don't see why the gaming industry should be any different and why people who aren't suffering as many problems as others feel the need to belittle those who do have a bug riddled product.

Reporting bugs is a positive not a negative, if the devs pay attention to the complaints they can make the game even better, because when it works as it should it is a fantastic game. I have the xbox controller issue making it unplayable on that platform for me, I've got ghosting on PS4, leaderboard times not recording, dashboard crashing, graphical glitches, DLC I've paid for appearing and disappearing at whim, lots of little niggles there and a few bigger problems that have tainted my experience with this game, should I not report them so the devs can make this game better? If this really was a Community Assisted Racing Simulator they would embrace the people who come on here and give constructive feedback on what is wrong with the game, not those saying it's perfect I don't know what everyone is complaining about, get gud noob.

vicdavery
19-05-2015, 10:01
Was the name of that game Broken Age? Quite ironic that :D

In any other industry no one would begrudge a consumer complaining if the product they bought didn't work properly, I don't see why the gaming industry should be any different and why people who aren't suffering as many problems as others feel the need to belittle those who do have a bug riddled product.

Reporting bugs is a positive not a negative, if the devs pay attention to the complaints they can make the game even better, because when it works as it should it is a fantastic game. I have the xbox controller issue making it unplayable on that platform for me, I've got ghosting on PS4, leaderboard times not recording, dashboard crashing, graphical glitches, DLC I've paid for appearing and disappearing at whim, lots of little niggles there and a few bigger problems that have tainted my experience with this game, should I not report them so the devs can make this game better? If this really was a Community Assisted Racing Simulator they would embrace the people who come on here and give constructive feedback on what is wrong with the game, not those saying it's perfect I don't know what everyone is complaining about, get gud noob.

I think the key phrase is "constructive criticism" and every time that is offered then wmd members, moderators and devs are receptive.

When people post "it's all broken", "must be fixed now", "can't believe this ****", "released it without any testing" then obviously these will be treated with a certain amount of disdain.
No piece of software is ever bug free, and certainly nothing of the complexity and size of PCARS will be, especially when it is cross-platform too.

There are problems (XB1 controller, AI in the rain, etc), the devs have acknowledged that and are working on them. Should they stop working on them to answer every repetitive hater posting on here? I'd rather they didn't, it's a waste of their time.

cossie29
19-05-2015, 10:20
must be a very short documentary!!