PDA

View Full Version : Surely there canít be so many 1st gear corners in the real world?

berzerker777
19-05-2015, 00:44
Is it just me ?

From watching motor sports and playing many racing games over the past 20 years i donít recall ever having to drop down the 1st gear so often.

it seems you have to be in 1st to be able to take many of the slow to medium corners across all cars and all tracks with the standard gearing

Thoughts?

Neil Hopwood
19-05-2015, 00:47
Is it just me ?

From watching motor sports and playing many racing games over the past 20 years i don’t recall ever having to drop down the 1st gear so often.

it seems you have to be in 1st to be able to take many of the slow to medium corners across all cars and all tracks with the standard gearing

Thoughts?

What particular corners are you talking about?

berzerker777
19-05-2015, 00:52
Ill have to go through and make a list. just a general comment. becasue i just find my self more and more having to shift back to 1st. 1st is usually for starts and hairpins. The gear ratios just seem, off. Maybe i just have to go through and do full set ups for each car and each track. I just assumed the developers would of got it a little closer. Maybe they want to force you into doing it yourself. Was just asking to see what others thought. As i wonder if online will turn into an all out set up war. (which of course is fine)

Neil Hopwood
19-05-2015, 00:57
Ill have to go through and make a list. just a general comment. becasue i just find my self more and more having to shift back to 1st. 1st is usually for starts and hairpins. The gear ratios just seem, off. Maybe i just have to go through and do full set ups for each car and each track. I just assumed the developers would of got it a little closer. Maybe they want to force you into doing it yourself. Was just asking to see what others thought. As i wonder if online will turn into an all out set up war. (which of course is fine)

Starts and hairpins is about all I use 1st for.

Most of the default setups tend to be pretty close to factory spec (safe, but not the fastest), so gearing shouldn't be an issue.

JTone_FB6
19-05-2015, 01:10
I hardly ever find myself dropping to first gear. There are few tracks where I actually do need to drop to first gear. Currently, I am not configuring my own set ups. I am using the settings on the cars as they are and I haven't had too much of an issue with dropping into first gear. With that, I have not done any of the formula series. I went straight into clio touring, through GT and now in LMP3. Still only few tracks that require first gear, one of them being Monza entering the first chicane. Majority of the chicanes and hairpins I will be in 2nd gear.

HarryHoodlum
19-05-2015, 01:38
Kind of disagree, though I suspect it depends on the car and the gear ratios. Rarely have to drop to first.

trancend
19-05-2015, 02:02
If your using a pad and steering sensitivity is on, this may be the source of your "problem".

Steering sensitivity is a function of speed; increased speed decreases the wheel lock point so you can hold lines around turns with the thumbstick cranked left or right (higher speed turns are more gradual than low speed turns, so this works out nice).

I have it set at 70, bc 60 seems to allow oversteering past the sweet spot, causing tire scrub and traction loss, as well as increased twitchyness.

However, at lower speeds 70 does seem a tad high making it hard to make sharp coners, and i find myself dropping into first to compensate, manytimes bouncing the rev limiter.

I really wish we could specify a low speed and high speed sensitivity that the game would interpolate between.

Also, as pointed out, gear ratios determine a cars turning radius; the higher the gear, the bigger the radius.

evanzo7
19-05-2015, 06:09
This is a bit vague to be fair.
It all depends on what car and track your on mainly. Then you have to look at how your gears are set.

I did a league race last night in Ginetta Juniors around Cadwell Park and I set it so that my first and 2nd gear were almost identical. I ended up only using 2nd gear on one occasion and that was for the hairpin on that circuit.
Without playing with it I would have probably had to use 1st gear!

HeeseyChelmet
19-05-2015, 06:53
I've found me doing this but mainly in a new car. Even on tracks I'm more than familiar with (Silverstone, Donny, Catalunya etc) but get on them with Gulf, Formula C or GT cars, I never use first for corners

MULTIVITZ
19-05-2015, 10:24
In real life you use first gear entering and second gear on exit if the car tears its tyres in first, if you got tcs on itz up to you. This guy must have drove many cars around many tracks........not.

Star_Scream_101
19-05-2015, 11:34
Is it just me ?

From watching motor sports and playing many racing games over the past 20 years i donít recall ever having to drop down the 1st gear so often.

Thoughts?

It's not just you. It's me too at least!

I don't have experience across the whole set of tracks/cars by any means - but I have been focusing on GT3 cars (mostly Z4) and have spent a lot of time on Dubai International in particular in preparation for a race series I'm involved with. It's not a particularly tight looking track, but I use first (very briefly) on 5 corners, of which only one I would describe as a traditional hairpin...

My gear ratio final drive is shortened slightly, so it's not like I have very long gearing etc.

I didn't like it as first (as I really don't think it's normal for a racecar) but it does the job of getting me round the track as fast as possible.

If I could shift the gear ratios properly for each gear I would tweak so i use first less...but given that isn't possible on the GT3 Z4, I'll just use 1st where I need to!

Slicker_VR
19-05-2015, 17:43
gt3 cars for example have a sealed gearbox IRL, faithfully re-created on this game, meaning that hairpins will always require 1st gear because you just can't change the ratios at all - i think you'll find it's previous console racing games that are at fault here, allowing you to set unrealistic gearing