PDA

View Full Version : PS4 Ghosting, Double Images, Blurry Replays or Gameplay

Boredism
19-05-2015, 02:34
As observed by countless players across the PS4 platform is Project CARS' issue of gameplay being blurry, doubled or ghosting. The most common description is that the problem feels like the TV is in 3D mode without the glasses. I too have experienced this for myself. The symptoms are curbed by certain settings but that is like taking cough medicine for the flu. It seems that under my observation the ghosting effect happens prominently on bigger screen televisions. However, it is still noticeable on smaller screens but not as severe and I assumes it's because the screen is just, well, simply smaller.

Apparently the devs are calling this the "normal operation" of Project CARS and is part of the "design" concerning the anti-aliasing software. What is unfortunate is that gameplay seen on screenshots, commercials, etc. did not even show a bit of this "design". The devs are also claiming that this is not a bug but they do admit it can hinder gameplay... Hmmmm. Here's the complete definition of a glitch/bug: software errors that can cause drastic problems within the code, and typically go unnoticed or unsolved during the production of said software.

The devs are thinking whether they should fix the issue or not. My assumptions are: 1.) they can't fix it, 2.) it will take to much time to fix and thus following into them being in complete denial of the bug and telling the customers they are SOL because of the first two assumptions. My point is the devs should not be thinking whether or not to fix it, but to straight up fix it or add an option to reduce the ghosting effect.

Also to note... This ghosting effect cannot be fixed by reducing your "TV's" blur reduction. It cannot be resolved through FOV adjustments. It cannot be fixed through the PS4's screen option, so for those people writing posts about this if you have truly figured it out then please upload a video or screenshot of your success and stop wasting people's time. As far as I know right now there are options to CURB ghosting but not put it away for good. Its effect can make you a bit motion sick but I have been able to play through the issue by not focusing on the objects in question and instead on the road ahead. It is still a crappy problem that the devs will not admit too and makes the game unplayable for some.

All we can do is rally back and hope they have the compassion or brains to fix the issue. If not, I do believe Gran Turismo will be coming back sometime next year... I hope. For now I guess this junk will have to do.

Let me know what you guys think and if you have found a way to fix it legitly.

madmax2069
19-05-2015, 02:42
The double vision effect was ment as a motion blur.

The blurring while stationery is the result of the type of texture filtering they're using.

Both are quite easy to fix, all it takes for them is to adjust the settings, or to give us a slider to enable or diable them.

Or they can turn up the texture filtering so that its on par with the xbox one version where it wont be blurry when stationary.

They can also tweak the motion blur to make it less like double vision and more like motion blur.

But most people already know that it has nothing to do with the TV or its settings.

Boredism
19-05-2015, 02:45
Yea, it seems like a simple issue with a simple fix but what's fishy about the situation is that they are not 100% in on fixing it. Why would that be?

madmax2069
19-05-2015, 03:04
Yea, it seems like a simple issue with a simple fix but what's fishy about the situation is that they are not 100% in on fixing it. Why would that be?

Because they dont have to be. But anyways they do have it in the list of issues. Theyll either fix the effect or give us a slider to turn ot on or off.

carlos82
19-05-2015, 15:09
Because they dont have to be. But anyways they do have it in the list of issues. Theyll either fix the effect or give us a slider to turn ot on or off.

The question is: when will that happen? How hard exactly can it be to set a slider for anti-aliasing? And of course, I wonder how come not a single reviewer noticed it? It made me feel like it was my fault, since nobody said a single word about the double image.

trancend
19-05-2015, 15:18
This is NOT an easy fix, this effect is to reduce the jumpy stutters that appear when framerte slows down bc of intense rendering operations.

All games that run at 30fps employ this effect, otherwise itd look horrible and really strain the eye.

This game is hella smooth, and Im pretty sure is running at 60fps some of the time, but as soon as you see that motion blur it is not.

Im sure itll get better, but will most likely be minimized, not eliminated (it doesnt really bother me now even, and Im super picky. Guess Im too focused on driving in this game to really notice).

If you want to see true 60fps on a PS4 with zero ghosting/blur, check out DmC or Dark Souls 2.

danowat
19-05-2015, 15:21

I'm sure I read that they can't just remove it because the motion blurring was a requirement from Sony's end..........

novcze
19-05-2015, 17:03
... this effect is to reduce the jumpy stutters that appear when framerte slows down bc of intense rendering operations.

No, this is their poor attempt at temporal anti-aliasing, which will never work for all folks because everyone have different display devices and everyone have different vision ... they did it in the most basic way by blending two consecutive frames together and the product looks like this:

I'm sure I read that they can't just remove it because the motion blurring was a requirement from Sony's end..........

No it wasn't, first it is not motion blur and second Sony is probably as mad as gamers because their Share function produces screenshots like one I've just posted.

novcze
19-05-2015, 17:07
Let me know what you guys think and if you have found a way to fix it legitly.

There is only one way how to fix it ... wait for a patch.

trancend
19-05-2015, 17:09
Anti-aliasing is for smoothing out jagged, pixelated lines.

Put it this way, you wont see this effect on a sufficiently powerful PC.

trancend
19-05-2015, 17:13
... this has nothing to do with display devices and everything to do with not hitting their 60fps mark.

Rendering 60 new frames in 1 second - expensive.
Overlaying the same frame ontop of the other (blur) - basically free.

madmax2069
19-05-2015, 17:18
The results are the same regardless of what display device you use, the effect is at the game level. The screen shots prove that.

MysterG
19-05-2015, 17:26
The devs are thinking whether they should fix the issue or not. My assumptions are: 1.) they can't fix it, 2.) it will take to much time to fix and thus following into them being in complete denial of the bug and telling the customers they are SOL because of the first two assumptions. My point is the devs should not be thinking whether or not to fix it, but to straight up fix it or add an option to reduce the ghosting effect.

Your assumptions are incorrect.

It has been acknowledged and will be fixed. (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?23635-I-want-my-money-back&p=897665&viewfull=1#post897665)

Sporran
19-05-2015, 17:31
Any idea on timescale?

novcze
19-05-2015, 17:32
The results are the same regardless of what display device you use, the effect is at the game level. The screen shots prove that.

sure, problem is at the game level, but my point was that on some display devices like plasma TV's the problem is more obvious ...

MysterG
19-05-2015, 17:38
sure, problem is at the game level, but my point was that on some display devices like plasma TV's the problem is more obvious ...

Indeed on my BenQ monitor I see no evidence of ghosting at all.

nolag
19-05-2015, 17:53
Even on slow IPS monitors you can see the ghosting if you concentrate on vertical structures like lamp posts or the fences while taking a tight bend. When driving the karts through a corner, the background may just look like a blurry mess for most people, but it is ghosting.

madmax2069
19-05-2015, 17:58
Even on slow IPS monitors you can see the ghosting if you concentrate on vertical structures like lamp posts or the fences while taking a tight bend. When driving the karts through a corner, the background may just look like a blurry mess for most people, but it is ghosting.

Indeed

LordDRIFT
19-05-2015, 19:02
I'm playing on a 120 inch screen. On my first race I noticed it. I think my eyes may have adjusted because I don not see ghosting anymore but I suspect its there because I start to get eye strain after long sessions. On replays I do see some judder on certain camera angles , I originally raised my Frame Interpolation to compensate but it made it worse. I then noticed this was not present when activating slow motion on replay, so I turned FI off all together and it seems to have helped a little but it is still evident.

Archeur
20-05-2015, 03:09
i cant play it on my tv. really really crap. not to mention lack of psmove racing wheel support even though it is advertised on the store. waste of money . feel cheated

FoxMulder
20-05-2015, 03:28
I just don't understand the problem. No other game on PS4 looks like this. Take a screenshot while circling around your character in Bloodborne or Destiny it looks absolutely stunning, take a screenshot while moving around your car in Photomode or while actually racing in PCars and you think you forgot your glasses or summin.
And they're all obviously using the same PS4 graphical abilities so something clearly went wrong when SMS ported to PS4, maybe even an issue with the engine itself.

GAT_Montana
20-05-2015, 09:03
As I told in another thread before, most of the issues can be solved in deactivating all picture enhancements options on TV. Does not work on all TV's but on many, in any case it is worth a try. For me on my Samsung 60" TV it helps to use the game mode and deactivate anything else. double Images are rare now and just visible in picture mode or replays.

wyldanimal
20-05-2015, 21:20
I just don't understand the problem. No other game on PS4 looks like this. Take a screenshot while circling around your character in Bloodborne or Destiny it looks absolutely stunning, take a screenshot while moving around your car in Photomode or while actually racing in PCars and you think you forgot your glasses or summin.
And they're all obviously using the same PS4 graphical abilities so something clearly went wrong when SMS ported to PS4, maybe even an issue with the engine itself.

It is being Done purposely to add that sensation of Speed..... objects that are Moving, and Double Imaged to give them a speed blur.
as you go around a corner, any object that is fast moving including all the scenery... Pass a car or a car passes you...
the Driving line..
it all gets this blur effect applied.

WingedBeast1968
20-05-2015, 23:00
As I told in another thread before, most of the issues can be solved in deactivating all picture enhancements options on TV. Does not work on all TV's but on many, in any case it is worth a try. For me on my Samsung 60" TV it helps to use the game mode and deactivate anything else. double Images are rare now and just visible in picture mode or replays.

You're not listening. Even in "game mode", even on my 103" HD projector, the PS4 version is drawing multiple images of fast moving objects.